+ Reply to Thread
Page 320 of 331 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 8265

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

  1. #7976
    Linus Van Pelt Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,289
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Watched The Strangers: Prey at Night last night and enjoyed it way more than I was expecting to. Its short runtime (excluding credits, it's about 80 minutes), poor reviews, short time in theaters, and ten years in production didn't really inspire confidence. But man, after a quick set-up/introduction to the main characters, the tension never lets up. The acting from the two kids (Lewis Pullman and Bailee Madison) was also especially great, both of them able to convey so much without dialogue. And the 80s score and soundtrack really worked for me. Among others, a scene at a motel pool featuring "Total Eclipse of the Heart" really stands out.

    Does The Strangers: Prey at Night reinvent the horror genre? No. But what it does, it does incredibly well: breathless tension, suspense, and pacing, a compelling brother-sister relationship, and a killer soundtrack. If you're looking for a good ol'fashioned slasher movie, ignore the reviews and give it a shot.

    The only thing is if they plan on making more (and I'm not so sure they will, based on critical response), I don't know how they will.
    "I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."

  2. #7977
    Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    11,751
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Jurassic World.... POPCORN FUN!!! Man some of the scenes.... just unreal action and those Dbox sears shook so hard it just made the movie! Cheesy at times but worth it. 8/10


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  3. #7978
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,252
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Full disclosure: I maybe watched five movies over the past four/five years due to becoming a father in 2014 and studying 25 hours a week while also working fulltime, being a husband and trying to have a social life. I was woefully out of touch with whatever came out over the past couple of years . So I sat down a couple of days ago, read this entire thread and wrote down all the movies that you guys liked. I still don't have much time to spend in front of the TV but I'm now trying to squeeze in at least one movie each week. So far I watched Arrival and Predestination and loved them both.

    I don't expect to become an active contributor to this thread but I thought I should let you guys know that your work is being appreciated
    This made my day. You have a lot of great movie watching in your future. Check out the Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019) So Far thread. Some of us are compiling our favorite films by year for the decade. Once the decade is complete, we will try to compile a master list of the best films of the decade. We've even dabbled with the idea of doing a tournament.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  4. #7979
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,753
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom-


    Viewed in 2d IMAX. Great, intense sound and visuals. Not afraid to be graphically violent-in fact skirts the fine line of it's PG-13 rating. I got the feeling that the script was created on a pitch to not only make the movie, but create a template for an updated/new attraction at Universal studios. Turns out that Universal Hollywood is closing their JW attraction this fall for a major revamp. Hmm. Imagine that.


    Entertaining and worth the price of admission to see it on the big-screen. 4/6 beers on the RFSRS

  5. #7980
    Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,011
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Full disclosure: I maybe watched five movies over the past four/five years due to becoming a father in 2014 and studying 25 hours a week while also working fulltime, being a husband and trying to have a social life. I was woefully out of touch with whatever came out over the past couple of years . So I sat down a couple of days ago, read this entire thread and wrote down all the movies that you guys liked. I still don't have much time to spend in front of the TV but I'm now trying to squeeze in at least one movie each week. So far I watched Arrival and Predestination and loved them both.

    I don't expect to become an active contributor to this thread but I thought I should let you guys know that your work is being appreciated
    This made my day. You have a lot of great movie watching in your future. Check out the Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019) So Far thread. Some of us are compiling our favorite films by year for the decade. Once the decade is complete, we will try to compile a master list of the best films of the decade. We've even dabbled with the idea of doing a tournament.
    Iíll check it out ASAP, thanks!
    - MichaŽl

  6. #7981
    Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of the headstone.
    Posts
    6,049
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I have not enjoyed any of these films. For someone like me would this be worth a watch? I'm guessing it would not be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom-


    Viewed in 2d IMAX. Great, intense sound and visuals. Not afraid to be graphically violent-in fact skirts the fine line of it's PG-13 rating. I got the feeling that the script was created on a pitch to not only make the movie, but create a template for an updated/new attraction at Universal studios. Turns out that Universal Hollywood is closing their JW attraction this fall for a major revamp. Hmm. Imagine that.


    Entertaining and worth the price of admission to see it on the big-screen. 4/6 beers on the RFSRS

  7. #7982
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,753
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    If you didn't like the others, you won't like this one either.

  8. #7983
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,103
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

    A better film than Jurassic World. While the characters aren't overly strong, no weak characters overstayed their welcome and their lack of development isn't a bad thing. Owen and Claire are better characters in this film too because they're more constrained. A lot less humour than the past few movies, which I liked. It's a lot easier for your jokes to hit when you're only dropping one every tens mins on average, and it's easier to forget when they miss. Rafe Spall was maybe the best villain in the franchise. He wasn't an excellent villain, but he was weaselly and dastardly in his own way. The story is incredibly simple, and that's a good thing. Volcano - Save dinosaurs from volcano because it's the right thing - bad guys used virtuous people to do bad guy things - stop bad guys. A movie like this doesn't need an intricate messy plot. This allowed the action and the images to speak for themselves. I read so many people complaining about the political messages and the anti-Trump stuff and at the end of the movie I thought, "Well, I must've missed it!". Can we stop politicizing movies that don't need politics and stop putting politics into movies that don't have them? That would be great!



    The real treat of this movie though was the work of director JA Bayona and his cinematographer Oscar Fauna. Good visuals can make mundane movies better, and this is a prime example of it. CGI is a lot more forgiving when it's in a nice shot. The final shot of the island as they pull away is simply beautiful in it's sadness, especially as it made me think of that 7 year old kid in the theatres watching the original and seeing the dinosaurs for the first time. There are tons of allusions to Bayona's The Orphanage in the second half, which I loved. The studio really let him do what he wanted to do during the section at the mansion, and that's where the film really shines. There are some thoroughly creepy shots and it's pretty intense because it feels so fresh. Funny enough, people hated this part of the film the most while also saying "it's same old same old"...every single film has taken place in a jungle, outside of a T-Rex loose in San Diego in The Lost World, and now we get a real unique setting and unique circumstances, and people complain. With a franchise as storied as this one, with a concept that can only ever be boiled down to "dinosaurs eat people/people try not to be eaten", it's the presentation which really makes or breaks the movie, and this one is the best presented since the original. I would love to see a rated R Jurassic Park, but if you can make a PG-13 film that has this nice balance of horror and gore without going over the line, I'm okay with that.



    I'm quite excited for the third installment, and I hope they bring Bayona back. One of the best parts of the film is the ending and how it leaves it open with a true promise of seeing a generally different film next time around.



    4/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  9. #7984
    Linus Van Pelt Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,289
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

    Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.


    Also:

    Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    "I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."

  10. #7985
    Demon of the Prim Sai Sheb is just really nice Sai Sheb is just really nice Sai Sheb is just really nice Sai Sheb is just really nice Sai Sheb is just really nice Sai Sheb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    europes wastelands
    Posts
    1,114
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    DARKEST HOUR
    What a film... just over two hours long and wished it would never end... love it

  11. #7986
    Arthur Morgan fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    America, 1899
    Posts
    18,387
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

    Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.
    Spoiler:
    Lena. There is a kind of new awareness in her eyes that makes me believe she is fully cognizant of the fact that she's about to pro create with an Other.


    Also:


    Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    Spoiler:
    The same way as Lena.. main difference between Kane and Lena is that the former was not able to cope/accept this new reality and decided to off himself, where as Lena was determined to survive at all costs.
    We're thieves in a world that don't want us no more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm just nodding my head the whole time thinking "ok, stop now, please."

  12. #7987
    Linus Van Pelt Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky has much to be proud of Ricky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,289
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

    A better film than Jurassic World. While the characters aren't overly strong, no weak characters overstayed their welcome and their lack of development isn't a bad thing. Owen and Claire are better characters in this film too because they're more constrained. A lot less humour than the past few movies, which I liked. It's a lot easier for your jokes to hit when you're only dropping one every tens mins on average, and it's easier to forget when they miss. Rafe Spall was maybe the best villain in the franchise. He wasn't an excellent villain, but he was weaselly and dastardly in his own way. The story is incredibly simple, and that's a good thing. Volcano - Save dinosaurs from volcano because it's the right thing - bad guys used virtuous people to do bad guy things - stop bad guys. A movie like this doesn't need an intricate messy plot. This allowed the action and the images to speak for themselves. I read so many people complaining about the political messages and the anti-Trump stuff and at the end of the movie I thought, "Well, I must've missed it!". Can we stop politicizing movies that don't need politics and stop putting politics into movies that don't have them? That would be great!

    The real treat of this movie though was the work of director JA Bayona and his cinematographer Oscar Fauna. Good visuals can make mundane movies better, and this is a prime example of it. CGI is a lot more forgiving when it's in a nice shot. The final shot of the island as they pull away is simply beautiful in it's sadness, especially as it made me think of that 7 year old kid in the theatres watching the original and seeing the dinosaurs for the first time. There are tons of allusions to Bayona's The Orphanage in the second half, which I loved. The studio really let him do what he wanted to do during the section at the mansion, and that's where the film really shines. There are some thoroughly creepy shots and it's pretty intense because it feels so fresh. Funny enough, people hated this part of the film the most while also saying "it's same old same old"...every single film has taken place in a jungle, outside of a T-Rex loose in San Diego in The Lost World, and now we get a real unique setting and unique circumstances, and people complain. With a franchise as storied as this one, with a concept that can only ever be boiled down to "dinosaurs eat people/people try not to be eaten", it's the presentation which really makes or breaks the movie, and this one is the best presented since the original. I would love to see a rated R Jurassic Park, but if you can make a PG-13 film that has this nice balance of horror and gore without going over the line, I'm okay with that.

    I'm quite excited for the third installment, and I hope they bring Bayona back. One of the best parts of the film is the ending and how it leaves it open with a true promise of seeing a generally different film next time around.

    4/5
    Saw it today, Matt, and agree with pretty much everything you said (especially your reasons for why Fallen Kingdom is a better film than Jurassic World). Nice review.

    The only Trump reference I caught was the "nasty woman" line, but I read afterwards that during the opening with all the news footage, there was a ticker that said something like "President refuses to believe dinosaurs ever existed," which I thought was pretty funny. Aside from the obvious animal rights stuff, I wouldn't say it was a particularly political film on either side, so I'd be curious to know what other viewers are seeing.

    Also agree about Bayona's visuals. There's a ton of striking ones in there, and I'd like to re-watch one day to really absorb them. The shadows, the color, the lighting...all really impressive and fresh.

    Overall, my main dislikes about Jurassic World were corrected here (crappy CGI and re-treading Jurassic Park/predictability) so definitely big improvements made. I'm really intrigued about the next one, given the ending, and would love, like you said, for it to be R-rated (all the cutaways in this one kept reminding me it was PG-13).

    Just wished the whole layout of the movie hadn't been spoiled in the trailers.
    "I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."

  13. #7988
    Servant of Gan DoctorZaius is just really nice DoctorZaius is just really nice DoctorZaius is just really nice DoctorZaius is just really nice

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,511
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Took the family to see Antman and the Wasp last night - we all loved it! Better than the first one, though I enjoyed that one as well. I love that the Antman series continues to focus on itself and not growing the Marvel Universe. It continues to be about small things (not everything has to be about saving the world), but it presents those small things in the most interesting of ways. Very funny, touching at times, and overall, great summer fare. 9/10 Oh, and there are two credit sequences for those who like to stay till the end.
    WANTED:
    Drawing of the Three #255
    Gunslinger #255
    Charlie the Choo Choo - #255
    Colorado Kid #33 - I have Miller #33, looking to match with the other two

  14. #7989
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,753
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Sicario-Day of the Soldado: Lacking the tension, bewilderment, and frustration of the first movie, the tale is still compelling, and frightening when there really are no rules-even for the "good guys".


    4/6 beers on the RFSRS

  15. #7990
    Servant of Gan Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,779
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Saw a sneak peek of Skyscraper tonight and I didnít look at my watch once throughout. Dare I say, the new Die Hard? Ok thatís stretching it, but itís a similar concept with non-stop good action, so it was at least somewhat reminiscent the best action movie ever made.

    Rating: 4/5

    Spoiler:

    Three extra posters if anyone wants one...

    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  16. #7991
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    27,496
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Finally got to see "A Quiet Place". Petty darn good IMHO Using the RF Beer meter I'd give it 5/6 beers maybe even 5.5!!!!

    I also viewed, "Beirut" which was a vey pleasant surprise. Really good flick I'd give it 5/6 beers as well!!!

  17. #7992
    Servant of Gan Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,779
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Finally got to see "A Quiet Place". Petty darn good IMHO Using the RF Beer meter I'd give it 5/6 beers maybe even 5.5!!!!

    I also viewed, "Beirut" which was a vey pleasant surprise. Really good flick I'd give it 5/6 beers as well!!!
    I liked ďA Quiet PlaceĒ a lot more the second time. I donít know if it was because I was in the comfort of my home or what, but I appreciated how realistic some of the scenes were more the second time around.

    Havenít heard of ďBeirut.Ē Is that in the theaters still?
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

  18. #7993
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    27,496
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Finally got to see "A Quiet Place". Petty darn good IMHO Using the RF Beer meter I'd give it 5/6 beers maybe even 5.5!!!!

    I also viewed, "Beirut" which was a vey pleasant surprise. Really good flick I'd give it 5/6 beers as well!!!
    I liked ďA Quiet PlaceĒ a lot more the second time. I donít know if it was because I was in the comfort of my home or what, but I appreciated how realistic some of the scenes were more the second time around.

    Havenít heard of ďBeirut.Ē Is that in the theaters still?
    No, 'Beirut" is on Directv PPV. I hadn't heard about it either, but Hamm is a favorite actor and I like that spy shit generally speaking.

  19. #7994
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,753
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The First Purge:


    Now we know how it all started. Of course it was a Right-Wing conspiracy, complete with skewing/manipulating the experiment to get the wanted results.

    B-Grade movie fare, but competently made and entertaining. 3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

  20. #7995
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,252
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Sicario-Day of the Soldado: Lacking the tension, bewilderment, and frustration of the first movie, the tale is still compelling, and frightening when there really are no rules-even for the "good guys".


    4/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I also enjoyed Sicario: Day of the Soldado. It's kind of funny because it kind of snuck up on us, but I think we might have a bonafide franchise on our hands. It's kind of unexpected, but I see no reason why they can't make a few more of these.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  21. #7996
    Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Park, Colorado
    Posts
    7,103
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I'd be okay with it. You can't ruin that original anyways. Expecting fine and entertaining movies is okay with me...we might even get a really great entry. The director of Soldado isn't returning and Sheridan is already at work on the script for Sicario 3. Would be great for Villeneuve to return, but he's working on Dune right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Deakins work with him again there. James Mangold doesn't have a Boba Fett movie going right now, get him on board! Maybe Hoyte Van Hoytema too.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

  22. #7997
    Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    6,252
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

    Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.


    Also:

    Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    Awesome, Ricky! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts after watching the film. I bought it on Blu-ray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it again and confirm that theory.

    Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

    At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

    When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

    Adam and Eve.


    Also, I am currently almost done with the book. Heather is not going to like this, but while I'm enjoying it, I think the movie was a lot better in all honesty. That being said, it's hard to really compare the two. They are really completely different. In fact, the book and film only share very small strands of similar DNA. I'd really love to get Heather's thoughts on the film. I think it's one of those things that you are going to prefer whichever you consume first.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

  23. #7998
    Soap Poisoning Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

    Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.


    Also:

    Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    Awesome, Ricky! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts after watching the film. I bought it on Blu-ray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it again and confirm that theory.

    Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

    At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

    When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

    Adam and Eve.


    Also, I am currently almost done with the book. Heather is not going to like this, but while I'm enjoying it, I think the movie was a lot better in all honesty. That being said, it's hard to really compare the two. They are really completely different. In fact, the book and film only share very small strands of similar DNA. I'd really love to get Heather's thoughts on the film. I think it's one of those things that you are going to prefer whichever you consume first.
    Interesting. I hope to watch it soon. I have a dvd from netflix that has been sitting on my shelf for almost a month. I guess I should hurry up and watch it so I can get this one.
    "It...
    It was...
    Soap Poisoning"

  24. #7999
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    38,753
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Three Identical Strangers:
    Separated at birth, triplet boys were adopted out to blue collar, middle class, and upper class parents. By the age of 20 they become aware of each others existence and become mini-celebrities. Some of the things done by the adoption agency in the interest of science are borderline criminal.
    4/6 beers on the RFSRS

  25. #8000
    Servant of Gan Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,779
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Annihilation - 7/10

    At least two major plot holes which I guess is to be expected with a movie based on three novels, but overall I enjoyed it.

    Spoiler:
    I liked how we never really find out what the entity is or what its intentions are. First contact would likely not be something our minds are capable of processing, much like a cavemanís mind wouldnít be capable of understanding what an iPhone is. Personally, I believe if weíre ever ďvisited by aliensĒ we may not even know itís happening unless they can figure out how to dumb down the communication enough for our inferior intellectual ability to process and understand.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

+ Reply to Thread
Page 320 of 331 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts