+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 323 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323
Results 8,051 to 8,067 of 8067

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The First Purge:

Now we know how it all started. Of course it was a Right-Wing conspiracy, complete with skewing/manipulating the experiment to get the wanted results.

B-Grade movie fare, but competently made and entertaining. 3.5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Sicario-Day of the Soldado: Lacking the tension, bewilderment, and frustration of the first movie, the tale is still compelling, and frightening when there really are no rules-even for the "good guys".

4/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I also enjoyed Sicario: Day of the Soldado. It's kind of funny because it kind of snuck up on us, but I think we might have a bonafide franchise on our hands. It's kind of unexpected, but I see no reason why they can't make a few more of these.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick is a splendid one to behold Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be okay with it. You can't ruin that original anyways. Expecting fine and entertaining movies is okay with me...we might even get a really great entry. The director of Soldado isn't returning and Sheridan is already at work on the script for Sicario 3. Would be great for Villeneuve to return, but he's working on Dune right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Deakins work with him again there. James Mangold doesn't have a Boba Fett movie going right now, get him on board! Maybe Hoyte Van Hoytema too.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Final Mission Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.

Also:

Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    Awesome, Ricky! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts after watching the film. I bought it on Blu-ray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it again and confirm that theory.

Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

Adam and Eve.

Also, I am currently almost done with the book. Heather is not going to like this, but while I'm enjoying it, I think the movie was a lot better in all honesty. That being said, it's hard to really compare the two. They are really completely different. In fact, the book and film only share very small strands of similar DNA. I'd really love to get Heather's thoughts on the film. I think it's one of those things that you are going to prefer whichever you consume first.

Mrs. de Winter Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19 is a splendid one to behold Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw Annihilation today and really enjoyed it. Thoughts on the ending?

Spoiler:
    Did Lena come back...or Lena's double? I'm leaning towards the idea that Lena herself did come back, and that the shimmer in her eyes instead hints that she and not-Kane (both of whom are altered now) are going to pro-create and bring a new kind of life form into the world.

Also:

Spoiler:
    We see the process of how Natalie Portman's double came to be, but what about Kane? Did his happen the same way, with one of his team becoming part of the shimmer, creating a levitating shimmer hole, and somehow getting his DNA inside it? I guess it could've happened a different way, since the shimmer zone was responsible for all kinds of weird stuff, but it was making me wonder.
    Awesome, Ricky! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts after watching the film. I bought it on Blu-ray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it again and confirm that theory.

Spoiler:
    Essentially, Annihilation is an Adam and Eve story. I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability. The film starts with a meteor hitting Earth. With it is an alien lifeform. It creates a sphere that humans call The Shimmer. Inside The Shimmer life seems to be flourishing. It's like an incubator. Plants and animals alike are mutating, much like Earth did for millions of years before humans evolved.

At the center of The Shimmer is a lighthouse where there is an intelligent lifeform. The only problem is it can't leave without a human host. Lucky for these guys, humans are curious. Many of them fail before even getting to the lighthouse. Except for Kane. His DNA is literally copied by the alien lifeform and he is allowed to leave The Shimmer. One important scene is missing from the film, but it's essential.

When Kane gets back, he debriefs with Dr. Ventress, where he convinces her to send in an all female unit. Kane's wife, Lena, just so happens to volunteer to go in. Like her husband, Lena reaches the lighthouse where her DNA is also copied by the alien lifeform. She too is allowed to leave. In the end, she is reunited with her "husband". Two alien lifeforms. Freed from their incubator.

Adam and Eve.

Also, I am currently almost done with the book. Heather is not going to like this, but while I'm enjoying it, I think the movie was a lot better in all honesty. That being said, it's hard to really compare the two. They are really completely different. In fact, the book and film only share very small strands of similar DNA. I'd really love to get Heather's thoughts on the film. I think it's one of those things that you are going to prefer whichever you consume first.
    Interesting. I hope to watch it soon. I have a dvd from netflix that has been sitting on my shelf for almost a month. I guess I should hurry up and watch it so I can get this one.
    Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again

Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Three Identical Strangers:
    Separated at birth, triplet boys were adopted out to blue collar, middle class, and upper class parents. By the age of 20 they become aware of each others existence and become mini-celebrities. Some of the things done by the adoption agency in the interest of science are borderline criminal.
    4/6 beers on the RFSRS

Demon of the Prim Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Annihilation - 7/10

At least two major plot holes which I guess is to be expected with a movie based on three novels, but overall I enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
    I liked how we never really find out what the entity is or what its intentions are. First contact would likely not be something our minds are capable of processing, much like a caveman’s mind wouldn’t be capable of understanding what an iPhone is. Personally, I believe if we’re ever “visited by aliens” we may not even know it’s happening unless they can figure out how to dumb down the communication enough for our inferior intellectual ability to process and understand.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Annihilation - 7/10

At least two major plot holes which I guess is to be expected with a movie based on three novels, but overall I enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
    I liked how we never really find out what the entity is or what its intentions are. First contact would likely not be something our minds are capable of processing, much like a caveman’s mind wouldn’t be capable of understanding what an iPhone is. Personally, I believe if we’re ever “visited by aliens” we may not even know it’s happening unless they can figure out how to dumb down the communication enough for our inferior intellectual ability to process and understand.
    That is only the first book mate... not all three book and don’t read them... haha the last to suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody is just really nice Father Cody's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Annihilation - 7/10
    That is only the first book mate... not all three book and don’t read them... haha the last to suck
    Ohh I see. Bummer about the rest of them.

Goldmember webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000 has a reputation beyond repute webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Annihilation - 7/10
    Ohh I see. Bummer about the rest of them.
    Yeah ONLY book I quit reading in my life was the 3rd one. Totally unreadable...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'd be okay with it. You can't ruin that original anyways. Expecting fine and entertaining movies is okay with me...we might even get a really great entry. The director of Soldado isn't returning and Sheridan is already at work on the script for Sicario 3. Would be great for Villeneuve to return, but he's working on Dune right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Deakins work with him again there. James Mangold doesn't have a Boba Fett movie going right now, get him on board! Maybe Hoyte Van Hoytema too.
    I'd love to see Sheridan direct one of the films.

In an unrelated topic, Deakins on a Dune film just seems like a perfect match.

Annihilation - 7/10

Spoiler:
    What are the plot holes in question?

Country
    Country Flag

Default Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    What are the plot holes in question?
    I’m sure there were more but the two that stood out to me were:

Spoiler:

1) Why did they allow Lena to see and know about The Shimmer? “Area X” doesn’t sound like the kind of place they just give a civilian (ex-Army or not, wife or not) total access to. It was obviously a covert government site. The reality of government security clearance seemed to be entirely disregarded.

2) Why did they allow Lena to go with them? “I want to help my husband” doesn’t cut it. Having an Army background doesn’t grant you top secret clearance by default. People work their asses off for decades for that kind of clearance.

I realize it’s a movie and a lot has to be squeezed into a couple hours of screen time, so these holes didn’t necessarily ruin it for me. I just chalked it up to not having read the books. I bet there were quite a few more holes that I didn’t notice because I did end up getting into the movie.

Side note: the music/sounds at the end were awesome. Clever juxtaposition of the southern style guitar riff on repeat throughout the movie until that point.

The Mad Titan fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito has much to be proud of fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive

You're focusing on the wrong things my G. Don't see those as plot holes, but rather plot conveniences to move the events along, like you mentioned.
    In time, you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right. Yet to fail all the same.
    Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I'm just nodding my head the whole time thinking "ok, stop now, please."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You're focusing on the wrong things my G. Don't see those as plot holes, but rather plot conveniences to move the events along, like you mentioned.
    It didn’t ruin the movie for me by any means. I just remember muttering something to myself about it when I noticed, at which point my wife said, “what?” and I responded, “nothing, this is why I usually read the book first.”

Demon of the Prim DanHocker is a glorious beacon of light DanHocker is a glorious beacon of light DanHocker is a glorious beacon of light DanHocker is a glorious beacon of light DanHocker is a glorious beacon of light

I saw both Ant-Man and The Wasp and The Incredibles 2 recently. Ant-Man and The Wasp was a fun light hearted follow up to the first movie, and was kinda the breather needed after Infinity War. It was loads of fun and I'd call it better than the first one. Only real negative I have is a completely pointless sub plot with the secondary villain. Though it did give us a great Luis narrated scene.

The Incredibles 2 on the other hand I found a bit disappointing. Visually it's loads better than the first movie, you can really tell how far the tech behind Pixar has come in that amount of time. The set pieces are pretty great and there's some really funny stuff with Jack-Jack. Overall though the story (theme wise) is a complete rehash of the first movie, which is pretty disappointing because after the first one you'd assume we get a full movie of them working as a super family, but unfortunately that's not what we get.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ivo will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused

Ant-Man and the Wasp was a pure fun and entertaining movie to watch all the way through, something these latest super hero movies have been lacking lately. I feel because it was so amusing to me it was one of Marvels better movies recently.
    I didn't go into analyzing it to deeply, they made the tie ins to other movies easily enough and kept it lighthearted, like Dan said, just what it kind of needed.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    But good fiction, especially Sci-Fi should at least be believable. I mean they debriefed in quarantine and Bio-suits, but they let them waltz into the alien shimmer in standard jungle ensemble's? No shit that the shimmer began affecting them in no time. Stupid plot IMO. Looks like I stand alone in that thinking, sigh. To me there was just too much no common sense plot points like I've stated and, Cody stated. I did manage to get my money back from DTV though. Albeit for different reasons but what the hell, right? lol lol
    The Evil Empire!!!

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy" - Josey Wales

My collection thread:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 323 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323