Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 441 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You're on!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Last two films I watched:
    Tenebre

Like Deep Red, an excellently crafted horror mystery. An American horror author arrives in Rome, where barely has he arrived than he discovers that someone has been killing women based on murders within his books. What follows is one hell of a plot with a great deal of twists, turns, and a considerable amount of blood along the way.

The more films I watch of Argento's work, the more I appreciate the style of his work. It's not just the highly distinctive death scenes that you should watch an Argento film for, it's also the way he films and shoots his work, too. More than that, the level of detail he does put into his films is really something. One thing I've noticed with Tenebre, Deep Red and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (which I'll get to in a moment) is that there's a scene we see from the eyes of the protagonist that becomes hugely important. The protagonist is quick to realise this, but for the longest time, he has no idea why. It's an interesting trick, as the audience is given exactly the same visual, and really shows off why these stories are made to be seen in the glory of film.

Overall, while I don't rate it as highly as Deep Red, Tenebre is a very enjoyable giallo, made clearly from a master of the genre. 8/10

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

Perhaps the least graphic I've seen of Argento's work, his debut film is still something to enjoy. Another film that focuses a great deal on what someone sees, a man comes to the aid of a woman attacked and stabbed by an unknown serial killer. Naturally, the protagonist knows he saw something important, but can't identify what, even as he and his girlfriend start to be attacked because of it.

Argento's earliest work clearly shows him as someone already more than capable of telling a great story within the giallo genre. As I said, while not as violent as other films I've seen of his, he nonetheless makes you pay attention to the sheer style of his work. From the wide ranging to the extreme close ups, even this early in his career, it's distinctive stuff. In fact, other than the violence being not quite as nasty onscreen (though there is still plenty of blood to see), the only real noticeable difference in the style of his later works is the lack of Goblin for the soundtrack. (Of course, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable.)

9/10

I must admit, Argento's really been growing on me. Now that I've gotten used to his style, I'm not sure I can get enough of it.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate feeling like I'm missing out, dammit!

Must watch some Argento soon.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Which one do I start off with?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Deep Red is awesome, a really great, involving detective story that's also painful to watch in terms of gore. Personal favourite so far.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I still have to watch that one.

Feev, I highly recommend Opera. And Suspiria, while not my favorite, is still classic Argento and I think you'd definitely appreciate it for his style.

Country
    Country Flag

any of the three mentioned above

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Deep Red and Suspiria are the ones that caught my attention the most. I think I'll start with those. Thanks everyone.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Artist was more than deserving of winning best picture. I thought it was simply a wonderful movie. Was it my favourite movie of the year? No, that honour goes to Midnight In Paris and Hugo, but often I'm happy with any of the nominees winning.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I totally need to watch Hugo. I usually love films you love (except Spielberg's).

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Deep Red and Suspiria are the ones that caught my attention the most. I think I'll start with those. Thanks everyone.
    Fuck that! Get stoned out of your mind and watch them all back to back and traumatize yourself.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

And Jean, I'd recommend it to. I think you'd enjoy it. Kind of an homage to early films which is what I loved about it.

Country
    Country Flag

I will look for it as soon as I have normal Internet again

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Fuck that! Get stoned out of your mind and watch them all back to back and traumatize yourself.
    I watched the 'Pink Floyd : The Wall' movie the first time I got stoned, after that I fear nothing

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen it on dozens of hits of high quality acid at once. I fear nothing.

Okay, I'm just REALLY gonna' have to advise against Faces Of Death on acid...just not fun.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw "Killer Joe" today. It's rated NC-17, and is only playing in one theater in the SF Bay Area, so I had to go to San Francisco (45 miles away) to view it.
    A black comedy that features one very non-humorous person. Matthew McConaughey plays it straight, mean and depraved (reminds me of the Cop in "An Ideal Genuine Man"-very Jim Thompson and just a bit of Harvey Keitel in "Bad Lieutenant" ). Violent beyond belief, but not one bit of gratuitous violence, a remarkable scary insight into people so dumb, so bizarre, so sickening, that it frightens-because it's true (or should have been).
    Featuring the most non-sexual fellatio of a
    Spoiler:
    chicken drumstick
    one could imagine, and a return to an America where women are less than shaved, I am almost at a loss for words.
    Three hours later and I am not sure if I was raped..punched in the mouth., or pleasured....or in a trailer trash way..all of the above.
    5/6 beers on the Randall Flagg six pack rating system. I won't soon forget the film.

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

THE TALL MAN...by the director of Martyrs(check it out if you havent done so). I had high hopes for this movie considering that this is the same director of Martyrs. Unfortunately, what you get is some decent acting in a movie that seems very flat.

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LIVIDE(french movie) from the director of INSIDE. Here is a summary of the movie from IMDB.

"It's young Lucy's first day as a trainee in-house caregiver. She visits Mrs Jessel, an old woman who lies in cerebral coma, by herself, in her large desolate house. Learning by accident that Mrs Jessel, a former dance teacher of repute, supposedly possesses a treasure somewhere in the house, Lucy and friends William and Ben decide to search the house in the hope of finding it. At night, they get into the house, which reveals itself to be increasingly peculiar. Their hunt for Mrs Jessel's treasure leads them into a horrifying supernatural series of events that will change Lucy forever..." Written by http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/3881

Rating: 4/5. This movie has some interesting things going on.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Total Recall (original)

Just watched this for the first time on blu-ray. Holy shit, this is one of the best scifi action movies I've ever seen! Paul Verhoeven brings the story of a man finding out he's a secret agent after trying to implant false memories to life in a wonderful way. First time viewing, I can already see multiple levels. On the one level, it's a wonderfully full on action movie, a bloody, violent, non-stop action thriller. On another, there's the scifi angle, a slight commentary on where we are going technology and culture wise, but that's very much in the background. More of a focus than that though is the psychological, as along the way, we are sometimes forced to question whether what we are watching is real or not. Considering the success of Inception that dealt with similar themes in different ways while telling an action movie, it makes me wonder if that had any influence on the new remake.

In some cases, it's pretty dated, particularly with some blue screen and puppetry moments, but other times with other effects it's successful enough to make you wonder, "How the fuck did they do that?" But mostly it's a wonderfully visceral, brutal, multi-layered movie. Am I surprised? Only a little. The main thing that finally convinced to watch this film was finding out it had been done by the same director of RoboCop, one of the other science fiction greats. Now I've finally watched it, I think I can safely say the same of Total Recall. 9/10

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not surprised that you loved it James, that film is every serious sci-fi lovers' dream. A dark, trippy, and very visceral film. I think many people are skeptic of checking it out because it stars Ah-nold, but he doesn't distract too much.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm not surprised that you loved it James, that film is every serious sci-fi lovers' dream. A dark, trippy, and very visceral film. I think many people are skeptic of checking it out because it stars Ah-nold, but he doesn't distract too much.
    That's exactly why it took me so long to check it out. There's only a few Arnie films that I always have fun watching, including the first two Terminator films, Predator, and the much underrated Last Action Hero. I think Total Recall has joined that small list, though.

(What probably helped in my enjoyment is, like RoboCop, as visceral and OTT the film can get, the numerous hidden layers within distinctly reminded me of why Judge Dredd is my favourite comic in the first place. If the 1995 film had been directed by Paul Verhoeven, we would've had a great Judge Dredd film back then.)

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

bears liked Total Recall. Thoroughly wholesome entertainment. I think I even watched it twice.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Jesus, that is surprising for bears! Scifi and action - two genres you usually prefer not to have anything to do with. Has bears seen RoboCop, as well?

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 441 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 ... LastLast