Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 433 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Hybrid View

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Saw this thread on a different forum, thought it'd be an excellent addition to the Gem Theater. You rate a movie out of a 10 point scale system , decimals are fine (i.e 6.5/10 , 3.5/10 etc.). Explanations are encouraged but not required.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 8/10

A prime example of expressionist film making at its finest. Surreal settings, captivating cinematography, and stark contrasts in color help elevate the feeling of macabre rampant throughout the film. A masterpiece of its genre.
    Last edited by fernandito; 10-14-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 8/10

A prime example of expressionist film making at it's finest. Surreal settings, captivating cinematography, and stark contrasts in color help elevate the feeling of macabre rampant throughout the film. A masterpiece of its genre.
    I'm so glad you embraced the film.

And what did you think of the settings, weren't they wonderful?! I love german expressionism. I know it has an unrealistic quality to it, but I just adore the surreal and dreamlike settings. And especially the cinematography and their use of extreme lighting. You can definitely see the influence it has had on filmmaking as a whole, and in particular the horror and film noir genres. Not to mention the likes of certain directors.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Great idea, Feev.

Well, I just watched Donnie Brasco and I'd easily give it a 8.5/10.

Though Al Pacino completely carries the movie, it's great to see him in a part where he's basically a character actor. The rest of the cast is great, too ( with the exception of Anne Heche who I thought was waaaaay over the top ) and includes Johnny Depp, Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby. Great job all around for each of them.

I should throw out a bit of a caveat here though - I'm quite a fan of the "mafia" genre in general ( Godfather, Goodfellas, etc ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Great idea, Feev.

Well, I just watched Donnie Brasco and I'd easily give it a 8.5/10.

Though Al Pacino completely carries the movie, it's great to see him in a part where he's basically a character actor. The rest of the cast is great, too ( with the exception of Anne Heche who I thought was waaaaay over the top ) and includes Johnny Depp, Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby. Great job all around for each of them.

I should throw out a bit of a caveat here though - I'm quite a fan of the "mafia" genre in general ( Godfather, Goodfellas, etc ).
    Donnie Brasco is one of my favorite films of all time. It's easily one the most underrated mafia movie around. It just doesn't get the attention I think it deserves.

Requiem for a Dream

8.5/10

I've heard a lot of great things about this film, but have been putting off watching it for a while. Especially after watching Pi (by the same director Darren Aronofsky) and not really liking it.

I'm glad I watched it. It's a pretty amazing and shocking film. There are some truly gut-wrenching scenes, including a heart pounding, well edited final scene.

The acting is superb. Especially by Ellen Burstyn who was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. Jennifer Connelly, Jared Leto, and even Marlon Wayans turn in career defining performances.

I know most of you have probably seen it, but if you haven't, I recommend it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

2012 4/10

The best effect was the super volcano!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Traveler Honkmafah is on a distinguished road Honkmafah's Avatar

How to Train Your Dragon

5/10

Kids loved it though.

Gunslinger Apprentice inertia1215 is on a distinguished road inertia1215's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great idea Feev!!!

just watched the new Alice in Wonderland last night, really enjoyed it. Did not know it was a "sequel" going in and thought it was just another re-make so I was excited about that. As usual Depp was well.....he was Depp. Just what you would expect from him nowadays.

Overall I would give it a 8/10
    In a book,in a box,high upon a shelf
    In a locked a guarded vault
    Are things I keep only for myself
    Its your fate,but its not your fault

Gunslinger Apprentice velcro_fly is on a distinguished road velcro_fly's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I just watched The Stepfather. 4/10
    “There are no men like me. There's only me”- The Kingslayer

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie - 8 / 10

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Alice in wonderland 6/10 Helen Bonham Carter looked fab. I didn't really like the storyline but the visual was great. It doesn't make sense but I know what I mean so thats ok

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

alice in wonderland 7/10

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Clash of the Titans - 3/10

Let me preface this by saying that although I am a huge fan of the original , I was not going into this movie under the assumption that it would be a faithful adaptation and knew that certain liberties would be taken with the story for a broader appeal. I set my expectations low , knowing (thinking) that it would be nothing more than a loud, action-fueled movie with melodrama sprinkled throughout.

Apparently I didn't lower my expectations enough. The film is a boring , loud mess - devoid of soul , with a bare bones narrative that serves as nothing more than to get the protagonists from one action set piece to another. The now typecast Sam Worthington delivers his lines in a wooden manner, his tragically underwritten version of Perseus requiring nothing more than for him to look good in costume and occasionally grunt something heroic. The Gods themselves have very little screen time , and what screen time do they have is plagued with erroneously delivered dialogue , with Ralph Fiennes rendition of Hades bordering on ridiculousness.

But let's be honest, if you went or are planning on seeing this movie , it will be attributed to one main factor - the action set pieces. So how do those stand up ? Not as well as they should have, unfortunately. A movie of this sort lives and dies by it's set pieces, and unfortunately the ones found here are just not up to snuff. Some of them go on for far too long, in others it appears as though Perseus's allies are actually throwing themselves into danger. The Kraken, a massive, towering beast that is set up to be Hades's ultimate weapon, practically Armageddon incarnate, is dispatched so easily that you as a viewer feel cheated. There are one or two memorable sequences, one notable scene including a one-on-one between Perseus and a blade wielding demon. But like I said, the action is just not as good as it should have been.

Watch this movie if it's ever on HBO late one night and you have nothing better to do , spare yourself the agony of knowing that you actually paid money to see it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I finally saw Boondock Saints: All Saints Day last night. If I gave it a 1/10 that would be generous. Five minutes into the movie, I was already annoyed and could tell that a great movie was about to be butchered by it's sequel. I feel it could have had potential if it wasn't two hours full of over-acting and a pointless plot.
    It left me wanting to rewatch the original so I could purge myself of the garbage I had witnessed with the sequel.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Anyone care to comment on the new Sherlock Holmes? I'm debating picking up a copy of the blu-ray. Never got a chance to see it in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by bast_imret View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the new Sherlock Holmes? I'm debating picking up a copy of the blu-ray. Never got a chance to see it in theaters.
    2 / 10
    But it is enjoyable. And Robert Downey Jr.is really successful.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bast_imret View Post
    2 / 10

I'd go as high as 5/10. Plot was "eh..." but it was entertaining, exciting, and very fun.

INK (NOT Inkheart)

8.5/10

The movie was visually stunning and the plot kept me hooked all the way to the revelation at the end. It is a great look at the human soul, what it can endure, and how it can evolve.

It was one of those quarky movies that I waited until my wife was out of the house and son was napping to watch. I promptly asked her to watch it with me again and she thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It was a very movie film that I would recommend to everyone
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

2 / 10
    Preface: Please realize that my post, while being a bit forward, is not aimed at attacking you or trying to stir up trouble, I just really don't know what happened with your score and all I have to go on so far is your number.

I think I've given this comment plenty of time to simmer before I say this: How has no one questioned your rating yet? Please tell me why you gave it a 2 out of 10 because I honestly don't understand it. If you dislike the Holmes stories, then I can see why you would hate this movie, but if you like Sherlock Holmes then there is no reason I've heard to dislike it. Sherlock Holmes was the best interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works yet. It had an original plot, yet it stuck to the characters, story conventions, and overall aesthetic of a Holmes novel better than any other live adaptation. I must reiterate: the character portrayals were perfect, down to the last word and movement. It even had multiple lines that were from various Holmes short stories and novels (example: "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!"). Guy Ritchie's direction was also fantastic: witty and quick banter between Holmes and Watson fit the stories perfectly, the way he uses camera angles and lighting, even the inclusion of the homosexual tension between Holmes and Watson as well as Holmes drug addictions; all of it molds together beautifully.

My rating of Sherlock Holmes: 10/10. And I don't give that score lightly.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    2 / 10
    Preface: Please realize that my post, while being a bit forward, is not aimed at attacking you or trying to stir up trouble, I just really don't know what happened with your score and all I have to go on so far is your number.

I think I've given this comment plenty of time to simmer before I say this: How has no one questioned your rating yet? Please tell me why you gave it a 2 out of 10 because I honestly don't understand it. If you dislike the Holmes stories, then I can see why you would hate this movie, but if you like Sherlock Holmes then there is no reason I've heard to dislike it. Sherlock Holmes was the best interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works yet. It had an original plot, yet it stuck to the characters, story conventions, and overall aesthetic of a Holmes novel better than any other live adaptation. I must reiterate: the character portrayals were perfect, down to the last word and movement. It even had multiple lines that were from various Holmes short stories and novels (example: "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!"). Guy Ritchie's direction was also fantastic: witty and quick banter between Holmes and Watson fit the stories perfectly, the way he uses camera angles and lighting, even the inclusion of the homosexual tension between Holmes and Watson as well as Holmes drug addictions; all of it molds together beautifully.

I think the ratings here are personal. I mean, I was not being objective. When I read your comment, I agree most of it. But this is not a movie I can rate more, beside some others I would give 3 and more.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    2 / 10

If you had trouble understanding Melike's rating of 2 for Sherlock Holmes, then I have trouble understanding your rating of 10/10.

I know we all have different interpretations of the rating system, but to me 10/10 means a classic film. A timeless film that can hold its place among the best films of all time.

If that's your interpretation, I just don't get it. To me Holmes is not a 2 but it's certainly not a 10. You seem to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to assume that's why you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but that's hardly the reason why I would give the film about a 5 or 6. The main reason is style over substance. The great thing about a mystery film is being able to play along with the protagonist. In Holmes, the story is so convoluted it's almost impossible to follow. Then in the end, it's all explained to the viewer with no real basis.

Downey and Law are great together and the setting is picture perfect, but the story is a downright mess.

I know everybody has different taste in film, but 10/10 for Sherlock Holmes seems a little much.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw this documentary this past weekend:

http://www.thecartelmovie.com/

Overall, I'd give it a nine out ten.

Along the Path of the Beam Whiplash is on a distinguished road Whiplash's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Whip It

a small town story ala Juno, Snow Angels or Fargo.
    Drew Barrymore's directorial debut.

8/10

I enjoyed this movie for what it is. A small town, simple story filled with charming performances and a great sport as the main attraction.

Yahoo User Reviews

John F. Kennedy AsylumWitch is on a distinguished road AsylumWitch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alice in Wonderland 5/10 and I'm being generous.

It just didn't work for me (as much as I wanted it to). Even my girls didn't like it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Date Night 8/10

I really enjoyed Date Night. I love Carrell and Fey, so I was pretty much sure I would like it.
    There are some things I might have done different. If you like the work of Carrell and Fey and your just looking for a fun comedy, look no further.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10

Wow, what an incredible experience. From the absolutely astounding cinematography, to the vibrant, majestic soundtrack , and a picture perfect interpretation of a very enigmatic historical figure by Peter O'Toole, LoA truly deserves its spot among cinema's elite. Although the total running time is potentially off-putting (it clocks in at just a little under 4 hours!), the film moves along at such a gripping pace that you'll hardly notice. A near perfect film. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by fernandito; 10-14-2016 at 03:19 PM.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10

Wow, what an incredible experience. From the absolutely astounding cinematography, to the vibrant, majestic soundtrack , and a picture perfect interpretation of a very enigmatic historical figure by Peter O'Toole, LoA truly deserves it's spot among cinema's elite. Although the total running time is potentially off-putting (it clocks in at just a little under 4 hours!), the film moves along at such a gripping pace that you'll hardly notice. A near perfect film. Highly recommended.
    I've been planning on watching LoA for a while now, but I just don't want to commit the time. Same deal with Once Upon a Time in America.

I'm glad you liked it, that means I should enjoy it as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 433 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast