Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 369 of 441 FirstFirst ... 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 379 419 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I thought Dunkirk was an incredible letdown. From my favorite director, no less. 1917 looks to be amazing.

Dunkirk is my favourite Nolan film.

There's nothing I'd have love to do more on my birthday than go see 1917, but I promised my friend I'd see it with him.

And of course my theatre IS STILL SHOWING BLACK FUCKING CHRISTMAS BUT CAN'T SCREEN UNCUT GEMS FUCK
    It’s a brilliant film. It’s my second fav to Dark Knight. You didn’t like that one well if memory serves me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Batman films are great. It's Inception and Interstellar I don't care for.
    Really? I love the Batman trilogy, but Inception is a masterpiece in every way.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Inception, Interstellar, the Prestige, Dark Knight, and Memento were damn near perfect movies.

I thought Dunkirk was boring and pointless. "Let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Now let's make these uninteresting characters go over ... here. Repeat."

I'd take Midway over Dunkirk, and that's saying something. Wait, unless you guys thought Midway was good? I can't tell with you people.
    Then you missed the point of Dunkirk. It's not about interesting characters, but people attempting to survive or help people survive. If you can't connect with people going through hell just to survive annihilation from certain doom because they're not interesting, that's not the movies fault. Hell to me would be being a soldier trying to escape the entire Nazi army who has me trapped on a beach and I have to be interesting while doing it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I thought Dunkirk was an incredible letdown. From my favorite director, no less. 1917 looks to be amazing.

Dunkirk is my favourite Nolan film.

There's nothing I'd have love to do more on my birthday than go see 1917, but I promised my friend I'd see it with him.

And of course my theatre IS STILL SHOWING BLACK FUCKING CHRISTMAS BUT CAN'T SCREEN UNCUT GEMS FUCK
    It’s a brilliant film. It’s my second fav to Dark Knight. You didn’t like that one well if memory serves me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Batman films are great. It's Inception and Interstellar I don't care for.
    Really? I love the Batman trilogy, but Inception is a masterpiece in every way.
    Inception is an extremely flawed film that distracts with obscene ideas and cool visuals. Narratively it's a dumpster fire. If you push how smart and super cool the movie is trying to be, it's enjoyable. Problem for me is that it wants to be so super cool and super smart it's impossible to ignore the flaws because it's so self-indulgent and self-serious.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Dunkirk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Inception is a visual masterpiece but yeah, narratively speaking the film is convoluted and at times hokey. It keeps moving the goal posts and circumventing its own logic that you stop paying attention to the rules and just enjoy it for the ride.

Having said that though that film is a testament to the creative genius that is the Nolan brothers. It might not be a perfect film, but that's because we hold them to the highest of standards. I applaud their efforts to give us cerebral blockbusters that don't rely on the horsepower of existing IPs, they always start from scratch, always pushing the envelope of high scale storytelling.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Inception is a visual masterpiece but yeah, narratively speaking the film is convoluted and at times hokey. It keeps moving the goal posts and circumventing its own logic that you stop paying attention to the rules and just enjoy it for the ride.

Having said that though that film is a testament to the creative genius that is the Nolan brothers. It might not be a perfect film, but that's because we hold them to the highest of standards. I applaud their efforts to give us cerebral blockbusters that don't rely on the horsepower of existing IPs, they always start from scratch, always pushing the envelope of high scale storytelling.

Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker from a production sense and he creates some stellar visuals with inventive camerawork. And I endlessly appreciate his dedication to using CGI as a last resort. But the biggest issues with his films is the human element, at least recently. He just has trouble writing characters that feel like real people. Most of the characters in Inception have very clear roles and purposes without any significant wrinkles. Dunkirk was great because so much of it was free of dialogue and the images do the talking. Interstellar looked fantastic and the performances were mostly solid. But the story was a mess. I was hard on Inception before mostly because it was considered a 'smart' movie when it's actually really dumb but so convoluted it and cleverly edited it gives the illusion of being a smart movie...but Interstellar is a far bigger narrative misfire and far, far dumber. I'll never forget leaving the theatre for Interstellar. Me and my two friends walked out in silence, stepped out the back doors, looked at each other, and started cackling at the same time.

I think the Nolan's come up with great concepts and ideas but have some trouble fleshing them out. They kind of remind me of George Lucas that way where he can make the core solidly, but he needs real writers and filmmakers out of it, except Nolan can direct really fucking well.

I'm certainly not rushing out to see Tenet considering me finding Inception fine but vastly overrated and I thought Interstellar was just bad. I kind of wish he was doing something simple and down to earth with like Dunkirk again. Hell, make another low-key drama again Nolan! Go back to your roots!

But I do have to say that while they make original movies and you're right, that is something to be respected in 2020, Feev...I do believe your beloved Batman is an IP with tons of horsepower :p

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ALL this talk about Nolan... has anyone gotten the chance to the 15 min preview for Tenet?????????????? I did before Star Wars and TOTALLY forgot to talk about how FUCKING AMAZING it was. IT had that music score like Dunkirk and my heart was pounding. It was unreal GOOD. That movie is going to be something to see next summer!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan is a fantastic filmmaker from a production sense and he creates some stellar visuals with inventive camerawork. And I endlessly appreciate his dedication to using CGI as a last resort. But the biggest issues with his films is the human element, at least recently. He just has trouble writing characters that feel like real people. Most of the characters in Inception have very clear roles and purposes without any significant wrinkles. Dunkirk was great because so much of it was free of dialogue and the images do the talking. Interstellar looked fantastic and the performances were mostly solid. But the story was a mess. I was hard on Inception before mostly because it was considered a 'smart' movie when it's actually really dumb but so convoluted it and cleverly edited it gives the illusion of being a smart movie...but Interstellar is a far bigger narrative misfire and far, far dumber. I'll never forget leaving the theatre for Interstellar. Me and my two friends walked out in silence, stepped out the back doors, looked at each other, and started cackling at the same time.

I think the Nolan's come up with great concepts and ideas but have some trouble fleshing them out. They kind of remind me of George Lucas that way where he can make the core solidly, but he needs real writers and filmmakers out of it, except Nolan can direct really fucking well.
    Agreed completely, Matt. Well said.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

ALL this talk about Nolan... has anyone gotten the chance to the 15 min preview for Tenet?????????????? I did before Star Wars and TOTALLY forgot to talk about how FUCKING AMAZING it was. IT had that music score like Dunkirk and my heart was pounding. It was unreal GOOD. That movie is going to be something to see next summer!
    Nope. I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

1917 was pretty great, but I found it hard to really pay attention to the second half of the movie because my friend had a seizure of some kind at the midpoint. Once it was over and I got him back to being conscious I was keeping an eye on him and making sure he was fine, but I was checking on him constantly out of the corner of my eye and I definitely missed stuff and all the flow went out of it for me then.

The lack of a traditional narrative is the main strength of the film. You don't really learn about any of characters because it's not really important and I think that won't sit well with people...so if you couldn't get into Dunkirk because of how Nolan handled those characters, you will find 1917 even more frustrating in that regard. It's a gorgeous film though and Deakins knocks it out of the park. This couldn't have been an easy film to shoot with such long takes and large areas of land with the majority of the film taking place outside where a lack of control over lighting must make the timing of shots absolutely crucial. The scene with the town on the fire and the blackness, the flares casting shadows...just wow. Might have been the most gorgeous photography I have ever seen in a film. It was a marvel of using light and shadow, which Deakins does like no one else.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and watching it again when I can just enjoy the film without being so anxious and worried. But it is an excellent film.

5/5

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Underwater:

A terrific throwback to classic B movie thrillers. Grabs you at the start and stays tense until the very end. You care about every person, and it hurts when one is lost.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Weathering With You was a fine follow up to Your Name. In some aspects it was a better film, in other aspects it wasn't. The central premise to Weathering With You is not as strong as the narrative in Your Name, but the overall cast of characters were strong in Weathering With You. As much I love Your Name, after the two central characters, the supporting characters are just okay. In Weathering With You, the supporting cast brings the film to life and each have their own stories that are nicely managed. It's the sort of film full of tiny details and it uses those details to tell stories rather than through exposition.

The animation of course is incredible and the main attraction with a Shinkai film. The way they managed to capture all that rain and water, and the snow at one scene just looked so authentic, is incredible. It has certain similarities to Your Name and I'm sure a lot of people will find the very end too similar to Your Name (though I do like Shinkai's usage of codas), the big climax of the film ended up being quite surprising. It's a risky choice, but that's what really stuck out for me and made me think about the entire film a little differently. It's rare that a happy ending comes at such a cost.

5/5

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Underwater:

A terrific throwback to classic B movie thrillers. Grabs you at the start and stays tense until the very end. You care about every person, and it hurts when one is lost.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.
    Unfortunately, I didn't care for everyone. In fact, some scenes were hard to tell who was being killed. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I thought Stewart was about as bland as a lead character could be. T.J. Miller was doing his T.J. Miller thing, but it kind of gets old really quickly. I do like John Gallagher, but I thought he could have been given more to do. Vincent Cassel was the highlight of the film for me.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Richard Jewel... I loved it. Great acting and too bad it didn’t do better at the box office. It was a powerful story and Bates definitely earned that Oscar nom. 8-5/10

Little Women.... Passssss on this snooze fest. I couldn’t even finish it and my wife hated it to but I am
    NOT a fan of period pieces. Can’t really rate it cause I didn’t finish it.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why would you walk out on a movie? Seems pretty wasteful. You’ve already paid for the ticket, might as well finish it. Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had the urge to walk out, even if the movie wasn’t great.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Why would you walk out on a movie? Seems pretty wasteful. You’ve already paid for the ticket, might as well finish it. Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never had the urge to walk out, even if the movie wasn’t great.
    No it was home. I have never walked out of a Theatre. This was a screener that a friend gave us. He got it on line.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I walked out on each of the new Star Trek movies. And I watched those at home too. I just left the room and let it play while I did something else. They weren't even worth hitting stop.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Richard Jewel... I loved it. Great acting and too bad it didn’t do better at the box office. It was a powerful story and Bates definitely earned that Oscar nom. 8-5/10

Little Women.... Passssss on this snooze fest. I couldn’t even finish it and my wife hated it to but I am
    NOT a fan of period pieces. Can’t really rate it cause I didn’t finish it.
    I enjoyed Little Women. The dialogue is snappy and fresh. It held my interest. I was able to appreciate the direction and the acting, even though it's not one of my favorite films of the year. I don't have any of the other films to compare it to and I can understand why someone like Heather who is a fan of the source material would be underwhelmed. Gerwig decides to tell the story in a non-linear way, which might turn off purists.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bad Boys For Life:

Entertaining and (IMO) better than the original and far better than BBII. Quite a few good chuckles, some tense moments, and of course wonderful Miami scenery.

4.4/6 Beers on the RFSRS. A scene in the credits hints at a sequel which would seem to be distasteful.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bad Boys For Life:

Entertaining and (IMO) better than the original and far better than BBII. Quite a few good chuckles, some tense moments, and of course wonderful Miami scenery.

4.4/6 Beers on the RFSRS. A scene in the credits hints at a sequel which would seem to be distasteful.
    Cool to know. First one without Michael Bay directing. The new guys do a good job continuing the Michael Bay look and feel?

seeking: anything DT#246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mike I'm super curious, since you have no knowledge of the book or movies, was the non-linear storytelling an issue for you?

That doesnt normally bother me with a film, except in this case it basically spelled out everything that was going to happen from the get go, instead of letting there be some surprises.
    Spoiler:
    There were 2 big things, knowing Beth is sick and Laurie and Jo not ending up together. Both are very big surprises and heartbreaks in the story. Yet here you know right away so it's not as powerful.

Also how did you feel about the casting of Amy? I know you're a fan of hers, but it was such a miscast for me here, I'm shocked she was nominated for an Oscar.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Bad Boys For Life:

Cool to know. First one without Michael Bay directing. The new guys do a good job continuing the Michael Bay look and feel?

seeking: anything DT#246
    The new guys do a great job with the vibe.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Mike I'm super curious, since you have no knowledge of the book or movies, was the non-linear storytelling an issue for you?

That doesnt normally bother me with a film, except in this case it basically spelled out everything that was going to happen from the get go, instead of letting there be some surprises.
    Spoiler:
    There were 2 big things, knowing Beth is sick and Laurie and Jo not ending up together. Both are very big surprises and heartbreaks in the story. Yet here you know right away so it's not as powerful.

Also how did you feel about the casting of Amy? I know you're a fan of hers, but it was such a miscast for me here, I'm shocked she was nominated for an Oscar.
    I didn't have a problem with the choice to use flashbacks. Yes, it does spoil some things.
    Spoiler:
    In regards to Laurie and Jo, it would have been nice for them to leave that as a surprise. Then again, they actually show that scene in the trailer where she says she doesn't want to be with him.

As for Beth,
    Spoiler:
    my sister messed me up there because she told me that Jo dies because it was part of a Friends episode. Of course, she was remembering incorrectly. So Beth's death ended up being a surprise for me. It broke my heart because she was such a sweet girl and literally got sick delivering food to the poor family.

You're right, I'm a huge Florence Pugh fan, so I'm a bit biased, but I also have nothing to compare her to. I thought she did a great job of playing the bratty, difficult one.

The best way I could sum up my feelings towards the film is when Amy says to Laurie, "I would be respected if I couldn't be loved." I didn't love the film, but really respected what Gerwig was able to do. It's a story that has been told so many times and it's not easy for her to come in and make it fresh.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anybody seen Under the Silver Lake? I remember the film landing on my radar a few years ago because it was directed by David Robert Mitchell, who directed It Follows. Then it got pushed to 2019 and then got completely buried. A24 essentially sent it straight to streaming.

I'd love to get more thoughts from those who have seen it. It's one of those odd films that is destined to divide people. I quite enjoyed it, but I can see why it gets so much hate. Andrew Garfield was really good in it and the film kind of has a Big Lebowski vibe in the sense that it kind of meanders. It also has a noir feel to it. The film has a lot to say about Hollywood, pop culture and the affect it has on the people we become.

Just in case it's not clear this one is NSFW (Not Safe for Webstar)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Great film. Top ten war movie. Go see it and enjoy the cinematography as well as the story. Ranks in my top three on cinematography. Wow.
    5/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 369 of 441 FirstFirst ... 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 379 419 ... LastLast