Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 347 of 441 FirstFirst ... 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,675 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Toy Story 4 is amazing as expected. I'm not sure I've ever seen a franchise be so consistent with all 4 films. It's pretty astounding. I can't wait to see it again.

Toy Story 4 is must see in theaters, but on Netflix resides another must see. I Am Mother. I was completely captivated the entire time. It's a really well made Sci-fi film and one of my favorite films of the year so far. If you're a fan of low key Sci-fi in the mold of Moon and Ex Machina, check this one out.
    I am mother was not one I enjoyed and I love good sci-fi. It had such potential and squandered it. Toy Story I will be seeing soon but next up for me is Spider-Man. Hope it’s a great entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Toy Story 4 is amazing as expected. I'm not sure I've ever seen a franchise be so consistent with all 4 films. It's pretty astounding. I can't wait to see it again.

Toy Story 4 is must see in theaters, but on Netflix resides another must see. I Am Mother. I was completely captivated the entire time. It's a really well made Sci-fi film and one of my favorite films of the year so far. If you're a fan of low key Sci-fi in the mold of Moon and Ex Machina, check this one out.
    I am mother was not one I enjoyed and I love good sci-fi. It had such potential and squandered it. Toy Story I will be seeing soon but next up for me is Spider-Man. Hope it’s a great entry.
    What didn't you like about it?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I want to see Toy Story 4 and expect to enjoy it, despite the fact that TS3 really seemed to close the door on the series, and in a satisfying way.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Snuck out with the wife to see Rocketman last night. Loved it. Since the comparisons are inevitable, I thought Rocketman was the movie that Bohemian Rhapsody was afraid to be. Much more honest in its exploration of the troubled artist - no doubt and 'R' rating helps here. Egerton is Hollywood's newest chameleon - he is outstanding. I loved how the film delved into moments of fantasy with its musical numbers instead of just chronologically showing the moment each song was created/performed. There is much more thought behind the use of each song in Rocketman than BR, and in the end, the film is all the richer for it. 9/10

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Snuck out with the wife to see Rocketman last night. Loved it. Since the comparisons are inevitable, I thought Rocketman was the movie that Bohemian Rhapsody was afraid to be. Much more honest in its exploration of the troubled artist - no doubt and 'R' rating helps here. Egerton is Hollywood's newest chameleon - he is outstanding. I loved how the film delved into moments of fantasy with its musical numbers instead of just chronologically showing the moment each song was created/performed. There is much more thought behind the use of each song in Rocketman than BR, and in the end, the film is all the richer for it. 9/10
    This is a good review. I agree he is the next big thing! However I did not think that it was better than Bohemian Rhapsody. I thought that movie was a far superior story in how I was told. I did like Rocketman a lot more than I thought I would especially since I was class that as a musical.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally watched Hateful Eight and it was an excellent film. Meticulously crafted and flawlessly acted. It was interesting to see what was pretty much a straight foward, chronological story from Tarantino with only the one sequence that shows what happened before. I really enjoyed Walton Goggins in the movie. I hadn't seen him in much, but I found him endlessly annoying in Ant-Man and The Wasp. It's the sort of movie where there is lots of significant dialogue that at the time it's spoken doesn't seem important, which is a testament to the skills of Tarantino as a screenwriter. But Tarantino really nailed the direction here as well. There were a lot of nice little touches and flourishes along the way that made this Tarantino's must understated film yet, especially considering how much he trusted his actors to get all the subtleties across. There wasn't much in the way out of outdoor photography, but what there was beautiful, especially the way the cinematography really accentuated the blues of the environment. Hateful Eight is a film about trust and paranoia from the first scene all the way through to the end. How much could these characters take other people at their word and how does their paranoia affect the way they see people? It's interesting how there isn't any trust between anyone in the carriage at the beginning, but the way once they reach Minnie's Haberdashery they trust each other more than anyone else. I loved when Russell's character after a little time at Minnie's has the pow wow with his carriage passengers and basically says "Yeah, these people here are up to no good". The way the characters suss each other out and prod them along in conversation to subtly get them to reveal their truths is great, and the tenuous threads in which trust is earned and the expressed logic behind that trust, even if it's only a temporary alliance.

The Hateful Eight is a good case study on Hitchcock's analogy of suspense versus surprise.
    Spoiler:
    We get narration and a sequence that is just to tell the viewer that someone poisoned the coffee and that Daisy was the only one who saw someone poison the coffee. So we know something is going to happen as John Ruth and O.B. drink the coffee in the background. But we specifically only see John Ruth drink a sip before he gets mad and throws his coffee, which O.B. is really drinking that coffee to warm up. That makes us think that maybe he didn't drink enough for the poison to take effect. So when a little time passes and he seems to be just fine and he suddenly spews out blood, it's a surprise despite us being privy to the fact he's poisoned. Whereas if O.B. was affected first, we'd still think that John Ruth may still be okay. On top of that, we have the scene where it's suddenly revealed there was someone underneath the floor the entire time as they shoot Major in the dick...how different would the film have played if we knew Jody was down there from the beginning (maybe he was the only bad guy) or it was revealed partway through? It really speaks to how the information you give the audience as a writer really changes the context of scenes.

While I don't think it's Tarantino's best film, I think it's his most confident in all respects. This was a film by someone who knows he's a supremely talented legend and yet didn't feel the need to show off. He just let the work speak for itself.

5/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Great description of what made Hateful 8 an outstanding movie.
    I was fortunate enough to see it in 70mm, with the intentional intermission. Loved it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Great review Matt, and I agree with everything you said. It's those things that made me love The Hateful Eight. Also how is it only now that you're first watching this movie?!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Great description of what made Hateful 8 an outstanding movie.
    I was fortunate enough to see it in 70mm, with the intentional intermission. Loved it.
    Indeed. And you were kind enough to send me the program from the film, which I proudly have mounted on my wall.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt,
    Glad to see you final got around to The Hateful Eight - great stuff, as you rightly noted. I was a bit surprised that you had not seen much of Walton Goggins. Goggins is one of my longtime television favorites, having first seen him on The Shield and then he nearly dominates one of my personal favorites, Justified. Goggins even shows up in Sons of Anarchy where his turn as Venus Van Dam is not to be missed. I must admit though, his turn in Antman is horrible as is his performance in the most recent Tomb Raider. Goggins's more of an FX TV gem than a movie star.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shield and Justified are two shows a bit down my 'to eventually watch list' beneath like a dozen shows. I hear Sons of Anarchy is good, I just don't have any interest in it watching Biker Gangs squabble lol. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but all the ads and talk haven't lit much of a flame underneath me.

Basically it took me so long to watch The Hateful Eight because me and my friend were going to watch it together on our movie nights, but it kept getting pushed off and pushed off, mostly due to its length. A three hour movie itself isn't all that bad, but a three hour movie is like pausing five times to make drinks, and usually drink breaks are when I have a smoke or we make some food, so a 3 hour movie really takes 4 hours to watch lol, which is usually about how much time I'm there for. We're usually more apt to squeeze in two 90 minute movies over a three hour one. We've been talking about watching Dances With Wolves for about 5 years now because it's 4 hours long haha

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Time to light that flame and watch those shows. I had a similar experience with Deadwood. I kept putting it off, and then when HBO recently put out the movie, it decided to DVR the three original seasons, and as of last night I just finished season two. I am loving them. Sometimes we are ready to watch a show, when we're ready. I gotta tell ya though, I wish I had watched Deadwood earlier. Great Stuff!

Country
    Country Flag

Time to light that flame and watch those shows. I had a similar experience with Deadwood. I kept putting it off, and then when HBO recently put out the movie, it decided to DVR the three original seasons, and as of last night I just finished season two. I am loving them. Sometimes we are ready to watch a show, when we're ready. I gotta tell ya though, I wish I had watched Deadwood earlier. Great Stuff!
    I really wanna watch Deadwood....

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Deadwood is near the top of my list, along with The Wire, Deep Space Nine, The Newsroom, The Crown, Game of Thrones, Fargo, True Detective, Better Call Saul, Twin Peaks.....

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ma

Octavia Spencer is captivating as Sue Ann Ellington—Ma to her new friends—a middle-aged veterinarian who spends her spare time winning over the neighborhood kids by buying them alcohol and letting them party in her basement. She couldn’t stand to see them drink and drive, she says. Why is a well-adjusted woman worried about making friends with kids? Is she really that well-adjusted after all? We soon find out, as Ma’s backstory is peppered in throughout the film’s present-day action.

As Ma begins to further insert herself into their lives, her character necessitates Spencer to bounce from comedic one-liners to batshit crazy on a dime, and she handles it with all the authenticity and believably we’ve come to expect from her. She is both Annie Wilkes terrifying and Carrie White empathetic. The story shares some threads with both Carrie and Misery but, for all Ma’s violence and dark turns, it plays it a little too safe, a little too by-the-numbers. Regardless, it’s a fun thriller with a great performance by Spencer (and not too shabby ones from the teen actors).

Ma is in the upper tier of “teen” horror, for sure, but with a quicker pace and more intensity, it could’ve been a home run.

7/10
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Last Black Man in San Francisco:

Winner of several awards at the Sundance Film Festival, this art-house movie is a delight. It may be hard to find locally, but I suggest you seek it out. Shot almost exclusively in San Francisco, and featuring characters to0 strange and quirky to have been made up, this story of Jimmy and his best friend Mont is a love story. Not a love story between Jimmy and Mont (although their ultra closeness implies a relationship between the two), but between Jimmy and the Victorian house he grew up in that was long ago lost to foreclosure due to Jimmy's father financial woes.

Jimmy sleeps on the floor in Mont's cramped bedroom in a house owned by Momt's blind father (Danny Glover). Jimmy loves his former house so much, he actually tends to the garden, and is painting/repairing the house much to the chagrin of the elderly tenants. When a tragedy happens, the elderly couple lose the house, and Jimmy and Mont begin squatting at the house.

Mont is an artist and is writing a play. The murder of a local "homie" is the basis of Mont's play, which is in essence a one-man 3 act eulogy.

Methodically paced, and an homage to the city of San Francisco; the film is superior in so many ways.

5/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Yesterday. Fun movie and much better than I thought it would be. Light hearted but really neat concept and likeable characters. 5/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Toy Story 4 was amazing. I don't want to say too much because I'd just have a crap load in a spoiler box. Maybe I'll write an article about it. Until then, there's this.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yeah, Deadwood is near the top of my list, along with The Wire, Deep Space Nine, The Newsroom, The Crown, Game of Thrones, Fargo, True Detective, Better Call Saul, Twin Peaks.....
    Here, let me prioritize for you

Tier 1
    The Wire
    Game of Thrones
    Better Call Saul
    Deadwood
    True Detective (Season 1 & 3, skip 2)

Tier 2
    Fargo
    Twin Peaks
    Newsroom

Haven't seen
    Deep Space Nine, The Crown

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got home from taking the family to see Spiderman: Far From Home. Another great entry into the Marvel cannon. Lots of fun. Much like the first entry, it's a mix of teen comedy and super hero mayhem. I'd place it in the upper half of Marveldom. 8.5/10

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Gonna go catch Midsommar in a couple hours, the latest film from Avi Aster (director of Hereditary). I hear its strange and brutal and mesmerizing and gory and a total mind fuck. In other words, right up my alley

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Gonna go catch Midsommar in a couple hours, the latest film from Avi Aster (director of Hereditary). I hear its strange and brutal and mesmerizing and gory and a total mind fuck. In other words, right up my alley
    I have to find that film.

Country
    Country Flag

Just got home from taking the family to see Spiderman: Far From Home. Another great entry into the Marvel cannon. Lots of fun. Much like the first entry, it's a mix of teen comedy and super hero mayhem. I'd place it in the upper half of Marveldom. 8.5/10
    Man I LOVED IT. Just finished. 9.5/10 for me. Avengers Endgame just barely beats this for me. Spideman is my favourite Marvel Pictures character hands down. I think Holland kills it.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I'm dying to see this. I haven't even seen the trailer and I'm trying to stay away from anything about it till I can see it. I hope you enjoy it!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Most of you know me by now. I love blockbuster films. I love comic book movies. Endgame was amazing and I can't wait for the new Spider-Man. I also love sequels. John Wick 3 was such a fun movie going experience and Toy Story 4 was a beautiful nostalgic trip down memory lane.

That being said, while most people were flocking to see Spidey swing into theaters, I went to a 9:40 showing of Midsommar. Although I'm still a sucker for many sequels, prequels, reboots and adaptations, it's films like Midsommar that remind me why I love film. There's something so great about getting something new and fresh.

That's not to say Midsommar is entirely original. There are many films that are similar, from the original Wicker Man to the more recent Netflix original Apostle, directed by Gareth Evans. What I'm talking about is the excitement of new characters and a new setting. It's a breath of fresh air.

The best way to watch Midsommar is like Heather said, to go in knowing as little as possible. I was able to successfully not watch a trailer for the film and I only knew a brief synopsis. All I knew was that it was Ari Aster's follow-up to Hereditary and that it starred Florence Pugh. That's all I needed.

Since I want everyone to experience the film as blind as possible, I won't go into any more detail here. I will just say it's not a mainstream horror film, which shouldn't come as a surprise to most people here. The film takes its time to build the atmosphere of this community to perfection. It's also a visually stunning film with a vibrant color palette featured throughout.

Go see it. We have to support films of this nature when they get wide releases. They are fewer and farther between nowadays.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 347 of 441 FirstFirst ... 247 297 337 345 346 347 348 349 357 397 ... LastLast