Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 346 of 441 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 ... LastLast
Results 8,626 to 8,650 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally got around to see Mike Leigh's Secrets and Lies and what a fantastic fucking movie that was. It was nominated for Best Picture in 1996, nominated alongside, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, and Shine, which all lost to The English Patient. Mike Leigh has got the be the most underappreciated director of all time. So many big movie fans have never seen any of his movies or even heard of him because he's stuck to making British films in England and they're all independent. Anyone who loves films with good characters that are brilliantly acted that are great dramas, often with some really good laughs, should check out his movies.

There's a scene in Secret and Lies which is all one long, unbroken shot, of two people sitting on the same side of at able in a diner. The camera doesn't move at all. This scene had to have been around 10 minutes long, and it's so great to just see the actors work to the point where a few expressions were enough to make me laugh for a good minute straight.

5/5
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ma:

What a guilty pleasure this movie was. Octavia Spencer is a great actress, and nails this role as a demented woman, spurned and embarrassed in high school, only to see events come together a generation later to bring back the memories, and put her in revenge mode. Nice to see a few good actresses in a "B" movie (Juliette Lewis, Allison Janney).

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Under the Skin -

Can't believe I hadn't seen this yet. What a wonderfully strange, pensive, atmospheric gem of a sci-fi film. This is a prime example of letting the visuals tell the story. Probably Johansson's best performance to date.

8/10

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

John Wick 3 - Parabellum:

An orgy of ordnance, a slew of shells, a mountain of magazines, more head shots than a modeling agencies binder, more knife cuts than a Benihana, sword play that makes all of the Kill Bill movies look like child's play.

Overload and non-stop to the point of almost being fatiguing.

The name "Parabellum" (a type of semiautomatic pistol or machine gun) is perfect for the movie .

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Bought and watched Spiderverse last night. Very enjoyable and great art direction. I agree like most that it may be the best of the super hero movies.
    5.5/6
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

An orgy of ordnance, a slew of shells, a mountain of magazines, more head shots than a modeling agencies binder, more knife cuts than a Benihana, sword play that makes all of the Kill Bill movies look like child's play.

The name "Parabellum" (a type of semiautomatic pistol or machine gun) is perfect for the movie .

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    The gun got it's name from the Latin word that means "prepare for war".

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ma:

What a guilty pleasure this movie was. Octavia Spencer is a great actress, and nails this role as a demented woman, spurned and embarrassed in high school, only to see events come together a generation later to bring back the memories, and put her in revenge mode. Nice to see a few good actresses in a "B" movie (Juliette Lewis, Allison Janney).

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I enjoyed Ma. Spencer is worth the price of admission. The teenage leads were just blah though. I really didn't give a shit about any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Under the Skin -

Can't believe I hadn't seen this yet. What a wonderfully strange, pensive, atmospheric gem of a sci-fi film. This is a prime example of letting the visuals tell the story. Probably Johansson's best performance to date.

8/10
    That's one that sticks with you. I can't say I have a desire to go back and watch it, but it certainly is memorable. I have the book.

4.5/6 beers on the RFSRS
    I love the alliteration!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Bought and watched Spiderverse last night. Very enjoyable and great art direction. I agree like most that it may be the best of the super hero movies.
    5.5/6
    Spiderverse was such a treat. I bought it on Blu-ray and enjoyed it just as much the second time. I really want to work my way through the extras at some point.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw Greta the other night and while I enjoyed it, I'm not too sorry I missed it in the theater. Kind of bland with a story we've seen before, but doesn't do much new with it. It also wasn't as nuts as I was expecting and hoping and it had some pacing issues. But I did enjoy it and Isabelle Huppert was great. Good mindless thriller.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wine Country, a Netflix original. Loved it. You might need to be of a certain age, say, 40s and above. Being married helps as well. My wife and I laughed so much. The women of SNL rock! 8.5/10

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Wine Country, a Netflix original. Loved it. You might need to be of a certain age, say, 40s and above. Being married helps as well. My wife and I laughed so much. The women of SNL rock! 8.5/10
    Wife and I enjoyed it also.
    We watched Murder Mystery on Netflix last night with Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler, was a fun movie.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My wife and daughters took me to see Dark Phoenix for father's day. Maybe my expectations had been lowered, because we all liked it quite a bit, even me. I had heard the rumors about having to refilm the final act, and I think it all works pretty well. 7.5/10

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Rocketman

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

BlacKKKlansman

A zippy and fierce depiction of institutional racism in America, even if the tonal imbalance keeps it from reaching the highest of highs.

7/10

A Star is Born

With a strong first half and near perfect chemistry between the two leads, Cooper's film is a fascinating tale of the pitfalls of fame and the ever present temptations of excess.

8/10

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen Burning? It's a fantastic film. I know the 2 hours and 30 minute runtime, plus the fact that it's a foreign film is a tough sell for some, but it's really worth it. There's so much going on in that film that days after I watched it I'm still not sure what to think. I keep coming up with different versions of what I think was going on.

Has anybody seen it? It's on Netflix. Mae, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that you watched this one. I'd love to get some thoughts.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's on my Netflix queue. I'll get to it soon, I love Asian cinema.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also Mike have you seen The Wailing?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Has anyone seen Burning? It's a fantastic film. I know the 2 hours and 30 minute runtime, plus the fact that it's a foreign film is a tough sell for some, but it's really worth it. There's so much going on in that film that days after I watched it I'm still not sure what to think. I keep coming up with different versions of what I think was going on.

Has anybody seen it? It's on Netflix. Mae, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that you watched this one. I'd love to get some thoughts.
    I loved Burning. It's one of my favorite films of 2018: https://letterboxd.com/maemiddleton/...films-of-2018/

I really enjoyed the short story by Haruki Murakami as well that this is based on (the whole book was awesome).

It's such a slow (in a good way) and patient film, beautifully shot and perfectly edited. The three main leads are all understated and realistic. And that spectacular and haunting score:

I love Korean movies and they never seem to get any respect. Burning was the first South Korean film ever to be shortlisted for a Best Foreign Film Oscar nomination, but still didn't get it. If you liked it, check out the director's other masterpiece, Secret Sunshine. It's very similar in tone and pacing.

What different versions do you have, I'd be curious to know? I love it when films make you think like that. Feel free to put it into spoilers.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been wanting to see Burning for over a year...not I'm just waiting for the right night to watch it.

I watched Annihilation. II quite like the visuals and Garland's work is on point. I have to think that The Shimmer catching the light in the air and stuff was done practically because it was seamless, and while the CGI in the movie wasn't bad by any means, you could tell it was CGI...or maybe it's easier to blend The Shimmer effect than things with form. There were some cool creatures and the movie was actually a little bit more reserved than I expected. It focused more on the characters, which I appreciated. I was expecting the film to be a little bit more science heavy, but there really wasn't much. Even the dialogue wasn't really focused on the science of what was happening. I kind of wish it was just a little bit more sciencey, not to explain things away, but I think it would've been truer to some of the characters to approach things from a more scientific light.

And I have to say, the Netflix Rating promised there would be 'some sexuality' and all i got was Natalie Portman's bare back twice in the tamest not really sex scenes ever. We got like five minutes of Oscar Issac nipple in bed with Portman and not even a good butt shot of Portman or a tasteful glimmer of side boob. I can't believe they felt the need to warn against some sexuality with the "sex" scenes in this movie. Netflix, you got my hopes up there. I am disappoint.

Rant not specifically about Annihilation coming

A movie like Annihilation just enforces my belief that most people don't truly care about representation in film...they only care when it's easy for them to criticise/praise it with popcorn fare. Here is a film that is virtually an entire female cast that was diverse, and the three male actors in the film were diverse too, that focuses on character, that shows flawed yet strong women, and it's a solid film that gracefully tells a solid story....and it didn't come near breaking even. This is why studios just lazily gender swap existing properties (which just turns people off) instead of doing original stuff like Annihilation. Some publications tried to promote this movie (except the ones bashing it for white washing...those people will never be satisfied), but it didn't catch with the public. If it's not a major property (That takes basically zero effort or risk to actually make inclusive) like MCU or Ghostbusters, no one really cares. Where's the support for Annihilation? 11M opening and 32M cumulative on a 40M budget for about a 30M loss. That's not how you make a studio want to greenlight another movie like Annihilation. On the flipside, I didn't notice a bunch of trolls complaining about this movie being ruined by diversity or how it's just a vehicle for politics and stuff...probably because if a film is good, no one really cares about that stuff, even people who love to complain about that stuff just want a movie being good to be the most important goal. If there was any outcry about that, it must've been even more muted than pro-women/diversity talk surrounding the movie. At the end of the day/this rant...I just wish more people cared about movies like Annihilation or any film that tries to tell a good story with great characters that's well-written instead of generic shove-popcorn-in-your-face-until- you- forget-it fare. Just when I thought more thoughtful films were starting to have a Renaissance in terms of popularity and box office success, the blockbusters just keep getting bigger. The divide just keeps growing. It makes me a sad, sad panda.

I enjoyed Annihilation for what it was. It was a solid sci-fi film that was well-made and put together, but I have to compare it to Ex Machina and there is no comparison. Annihilation is a solid genre flick elevated by good filmmaking, and Ex Machina is a masterpiece.

4/5

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt - pretty much agreed with everything you said. I've had this conversation in other forums and with people IRL. People bitch and moan about diversity and Hollywood putting out the same old shit, but when films like Annihilation come out no one goes out to support it, instead they go see Fast & Furious or Avengers for the 3rd time. Shit annoys me.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I want to see Annihilation - because it looks like a good movie, not because I care who/what is "represented."

I didn't see it in the theater - not because I won't go to the theater for something "diverse" but because it's rare that I go to the theater for anything, and also because I'm strongly considering reading the book(s) first.

Quality isn't synonymous with broad appeal - that's why films that seem good don't always do as well as we might want or expect.

Quality also isn't synonymous with diversity - because nothing is synonymous with diversity. Diversity (in the context of the arts) is like a k-pop band - having virtually no significance, but lots of fans.

No one is sitting around wishing movie studios would invent a white version of Denzel Washington or The Rock.

Viewers watch what attracts them; it isn't more complicated than that.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's all true too, but it's part of the problem. Media/social media relies on clicks, shares, likes, and interaction, so everyone hops on board the massive franchises and the smaller pictures get lost in the shuffle. It would be fine if it were just coverage...we expect massive films to get more eyes on it and more anticipation. But there are a contingent on both sides of the argument...those that see diversity as an inherently bad thing in a film, and those that think diversity makes a film good. I read a Dark Phoenix critic review that basically said the film was great because it had strong women and no other reason. People were hailing Crazy Rich Asians for it's representation of Asian and giving Asian actors a vehicle and it made a ton of money. On the flipside, the film bombed in China, and people in South East Asia criticized it because people there found the film offensive and negatively or inaccurately represented the region. Representation and good representation are two very different things.

I think our biggest issue when it comes to diversity marketing and criticism is that it's pretty skin deep. There is a reason studios co-opt existing IPs and inject diversity into them, because they don't have any faith that original productions with diverse casts will make any money...because they usually don't. Black Panther/Captain Marvel did well and that's great, but they're also MCU movies (guaranteed to perform well) and placed right before Infinity War/Endgame for max appeal. Why make an original heist movie with an all female cast when you can just co-opt the very popular Ocean's IP? Widows didn't get near the same push (or box office) about diversity despite being a film about an all female heist, with a black lead, from a black director, and co-written by Gillian Flynn. Studios aren't fixing the problem they have and neither are audiences. People should support the types of movies they believe in and want to see more of. I believe in indie movies and original films, so I pay to go see those and support them so I can hopefully see more of them. People who really care about diversity should be doing the same because the movies that need the support don't get it. That's how I see it anyways. Maybe they do, and there just isn't as many of those people as the internet would lead us to believe.

More than anything, it's always upsetting to me to see solid films not make money...especially when they get wide releases. I can't be upset my favourite film of last year, Leave No Trace, only made 6M because it's largest theatre count was like 300. I always, always see people complaining that Hollywood makes nothing but crap and movies today suck...which is crazy. There are so many good films. They just aren't blockbusters or based on IPs you know. A lot of people either are too lazy to take a few minutes to find such movies, they don't like them, or they're afraid of a taking a chance on something out of their purview. Ebert, in his Synecdoche, New York review, said: "Why will people hurry along to what they expect to be trash, when they're afraid of a film they think may be good?" I think Ebert has a good point. People will gravitate to the familiar, even if it looks like trash. I think it goes back to what Bill Watterson said in a Calvin and Hobbes strip, which is more true than it back in the early 90's or whatever year this strip was published.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Also Mike have you seen The Wailing?
    Not yet, but it's on my list.

As for Annihilation, I've mentioned my feelings about the film and its making, as well as its distribution here on a number of occasions.

In short, I don't blame people for not going out to see it because the film was never really given a chance in theaters. I was fortunate enough to see it in theaters, and I'm glad I did because it was such a visually beautiful film. That said, it was released for a very short time in limited theaters.

The main reason for that was a disconnect between Garland and the studio. It's what drives me crazy about studios. They see a film like Ex Machina and a filmmaker like Garland and get excited. The bring him in to make a movie and give him millions of dollars. Then they think they know better and decide to neuter him and doubt his creative vision. If the studio truly believed in Garland, they would have left him alone and let him make the movie he wanted to make. When finished, they would have promoted it properly.

Marketed the right way, there's no reason why Annihilation couldn't have at least done the box office that Ex Machina did.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Took the wife and kids to see Toy Story 4 last night. We all loved it! Very satisfying conclusion to the series (though I would not be surprised to see another one). 9/10

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like it's being universally praised. It looks really good and the animation looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Toy Story 4 is amazing as expected. I'm not sure I've ever seen a franchise be so consistent with all 4 films. It's pretty astounding. I can't wait to see it again.

Toy Story 4 is must see in theaters, but on Netflix resides another must see. I Am Mother. I was completely captivated the entire time. It's a really well made Sci-fi film and one of my favorite films of the year so far. If you're a fan of low key Sci-fi in the mold of Moon and Ex Machina, check this one out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 346 of 441 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 ... LastLast