Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Undervalued books

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John
    An errata sheet came with Insomnia? Would you please PM me with a little more information? I purchased my copy from Stu years ago and didn't receive one with mine.
    I got an errata sheet (actually a slip of paper) with DESPERATION but I've not heard of one for INSOMNIA.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The copy I have did not come with one and reading this is the first I have heard of one. This question belongs in another thread, but while we are on the topic of the S/L of Insomnia, I will pose it here anyway. Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251? I would assume that anyone collecting and trying to have the matching numbers to all of their books would be an option, so surely the copies start with #1 and end with #1250. As most of you know, I am fairly new at true collecting, so please forgive if this was a silly question. Either way, it is one of my favorites by far. From the slipcase to the actual book, I really enjoy having it.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251?
    There could be 1300 copies, (or more), as all publishers print extra copies to account for missprints and damage. The extras are usually sold off as "PC" copies.

There has never been a book printed that does not have some sort of printing error somewhere in the batch. It's a high speed process and faults occur in the production as normal.

One very good reason for taking off shrinkwrap.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John
    An errata sheet came with Insomnia? Would you please PM me with a little more information? I purchased my copy from Stu years ago and didn't receive one with mine.
    I ordered directly from the publisher, and my copies came without.

sk

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

John
    I got an errata sheet (actually a slip of paper) with DESPERATION but I've not heard of one for INSOMNIA.
    My mistake. Desperation had the errata sheet.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My mistake also. I confused Insomnia with Desperation. No errata sheet with Insomnia.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Perhaps the typos and the era (look it up, there was a recession ~1983, and ~1993-book released in 1994) contributed to the indifference.
    It is a beautifully produced S/L.
    For whatever reason it isn't popular with collectors it continues to accentuate the fact that collectors just don't value first editions anymore. Which particular issue was published first is not of concern to the vast majority of collectors. The "gift edition" was the first (according to Mark Zeising) but it does not command much on the secondary market considering the relatively small number of copies.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Perhaps the typos and the era (look it up, there was a recession ~1983, and ~1993-book released in 1994) contributed to the indifference.
    It is a beautifully produced S/L.
    For whatever reason it isn't popular with collectors it continues to accentuate the fact that collectors just don't value first editions anymore. Which particular issue was published first is not of concern to the vast majority of collectors. The "gift edition" was the first (according to Mark Zeising) but it does not command much on the secondary market considering the relatively small number of copies.
    Yep. I bought a flatsigned gift edition from shibus last year for a great price.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    Ofc it reads on opening page that this book is one of only 1250 numbered copies. I have the P/C so does that mean there are actually 1251?
    There could be 1300 copies, (or more), as all publishers print extra copies to account for missprints and damage. The extras are usually sold off as "PC" copies.

There has never been a book printed that does not have some sort of printing error somewhere in the batch. It's a high speed process and faults occur in the production as normal.

One very good reason for taking off shrinkwrap.
    I think this was discussed when I was deciding to buy the book or not. It was to be a birthday present for myself, cause the wife almost blew 450$ on a BC copy of Carrie. That was the book we really wanted due to year of publishing, but after her near mistake, I went looking myself. Insomnia was a book that would hold as much sentimental value to me as Carrie. There were talks of the P/C copy not being worth as much as a true numbered copy and back and forth. I only paid 300$ and at the time it was my first signed King book on the shelf. Guess value is in the eye of the buyer cause I do not mind what I gave for it either way.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gratuitous bump.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Gratuitous bump.
    Worked on me!!!!! LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, undervalued books are ... all SPECIAL German Stephen King books.

The one and only limited to 25 signed from SK German SK book Duddits - Dreamcatcher
    Of cause all 4 German Edition Phantasia Stephen King books (especial the German Dadd - eyes of the dragon signed limited to 100 Portfolio)
    And the limited to 15 books German leatherbound Transgalaxis Stephen King books.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I donated my Life in the Cinema to our fundraiser two years ago! Quietly Now sold originally for $40 - and there are 30 signatures!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    For me, undervalued books are ... all SPECIAL German Stephen King books.

The one and only limited to 25 signed from SK German SK book Duddits - Dreamcatcher
    Of cause all 4 German Edition Phantasia Stephen King books (especial the German Dadd - eyes of the dragon signed limited to 100 Portfolio)
    And the limited to 15 books German leatherbound Transgalaxis Stephen King books.
    My new one:
    Die Augen des Drachen - The Eyes of the Dragon - Publisher Transgalaxis limited to 15.
    Red leather bound with golden spine.
    The first EVER that was for sale, an german collector sells 3 Transgalaxis books, Die Augen Des Drachen was the missing one in my collection.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a great looking book. Congratulations!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Authentic, dated, signed (even if inscribed, to "Joe") 1st editions of King's earlier (let's just say pre-1985~ish) books need to be on the radar.
    The supply will only diminish.

I'm not suggesting to buy this book, but here is an example of books to consider. Check the details.

Per the Catalog:
    Copyright page states: “FIRST EDITION.” Gutter code Y38 on page on page 374

First state dustjackets incorrectly stated 1982 as the year of publication of Tabitha King's "Caretakers". Later dustjackets correctly stated 1983
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...item4adc94a2a3

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is an interesting thread... what other books in todays market do you think are under valued. I for one have a few that I consider to be so...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    This is an interesting thread... what other books in todays market do you think are under valued. I for one have a few that I consider to be so...
    Do tell.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Do tell.
    I think the IT lettered, Firestarter S/L (I mean this was his 1st ever!) and I also think believe it or not.. the Stand is such a nice book it should be more too.... There are others but they pop into my head.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Do tell.
    I think the IT lettered, Firestarter S/L (I mean this was his 1st ever!) and I also think believe it or not.. the Stand is such a nice book it should be more too.... There are others but they pop into my head.
    How are these examples undervalued, though? Each would cost a fortune to acquire.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Do tell.
    How are these examples undervalued, though? Each would cost a fortune to acquire.
    Because they have not risen in price as much as he told his wife they would when he bought them...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Do tell.
    I mean in relation to what I feel they should be worth. Because of production value or the fact that (Firestarter) was the first. Undervalue has nothing to do with what it cost (now) to buy them but rather what do I (or someone) else feel they are truly worth.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Authentic, dated, signed (even if inscribed, to "Joe") 1st editions of King's earlier (let's just say pre-1985~ish) books need to be on the radar.
    The supply will only diminish.

I'm not suggesting to buy this book, but here is an example of books to consider. Check the details.

Per the Catalog:
    Copyright page states: “FIRST EDITION.” Gutter code Y38 on page on page 374

First state dustjackets incorrectly stated 1982 as the year of publication of Tabitha King's "Caretakers". Later dustjackets correctly stated 1983
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...item4adc94a2a3
    This type of information always reminds me that there is so much to learn and know when collecting Kings books, etc.
    This post/comment made me go look at the signed 1st Edition copies I had on shelf of Pet Sematary.
    One had the 1983 date.
    Two of them had the 1982 date, (one was priced clipped).
    I am unaware if I paid attention to that when acquiring.

Fortunately there are also some unsigned copies with the early cover.

AGAIN: All the more reason to follow this site and take in the information shared in these threads & forums. It often reminds of of things easily forgotten.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that one possible reason the s/l Stand is priced where it is, is that there were 1250 copies done, thus a relatively large number are out there.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I think that one possible reason the s/l Stand is priced where it is, is that there were 1250 copies done, thus a relatively large number are out there.

John
    well said
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3