Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Undervalued books

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Default Undervalued books

I was thinking about how hard it seems to find a truly fine/fine copy of the UK (Macdonald) edition of CUJO. I'm talking about a really nice copy with a priced/unclipped dust jacket with no names or inscriptions, no wear to the dust jacket and none of the very common "spine lean" (or whatever it is called).

Just about every nice copy I see on eBay is the unpriced or "export" edition. And they almost always have "spine lean" where the edge of the front board extends past the leading edge of the rear board.

I have thought for a few years now that nice copies with priced dj's are much scarcer than collector's realize and, when available, should command much higher prices. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I never see acceptable copies for sale.

Anyone else with opinions on books that seem undervalued?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I was thinking about how hard it seems to find a truly fine/fine copy of the UK (Macdonald) edition of CUJO. I'm talking about a really nice copy with a priced/unclipped dust jacket with no names or inscriptions, no wear to the dust jacket and none of the very common "spine lean" (or whatever it is called).

Just about every nice copy I see on eBay is the unpriced or "export" edition. And they almost always have "spine lean" where the edge of the front board extends past the leading edge of the rear board.

I have thought for a few years now that nice copies with priced dj's are much scarcer than collector's realize and, when available, should command much higher prices. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I never see acceptable copies for sale.

I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions) which is why its so hard to find a decent copy of the UK earlier editions that I think might still include Cujo even though I think Viking was the publisher by then. Supposedly, the UK exports were originally US BOMC editions shipped for export and got mingled with other editions. Also, Doubleday was known for "cheaping-out" on printing quality. I don't know how accurate my recollection of the conversation at the time (at least 2 years ago) is, but maybe its best to go to an expert like Hutch or Wizardsrainbow directly, rather than rely on my feeble mind!! LOL For what its worth, I managed to get a very nice UK copy of Cujo on Ebay from a UK/US dealer (anjinsanbooks I think was the name). If you need it I have a few reputable UK sellers saved in my ebay I could go get for you if you like. Just PM me and I'd be happy to assist!

That wasn't too much help was it? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting thoughts, Bob, and a great and informative reply Merlin. Being a novice collector I have nothing to add except that my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Interesting thoughts, Bob, and a great and informative reply Merlin. Being a novice collector I have nothing to add except that my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.
    I don't mean to be a doomsayer or anything, but my understanding is that no price, no first. The Unpriced first's are (usually BOMC, some export) surprisingly easy to come by. I've seen a lot of them over the years on sale from folks in Australia, etc in addition to UK sellers (the shipping will kill ya from Aussy!!). I collect what I believe to be the true UK first's that have a price in pounds, but that's just me and my eccentricities. I think the exports are shipped sans the price so that the dealers abroad can place price stickers on them for sale in their respective country and currency.

If that's any help.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh but I agree with you - I do want priced DJs, too. But this is one of the books I purchased when I still didn't know (or cared) much about 1st edition features. I will probably replace it someday. I'm calling it a 1st because it has all the ID points of a 1st -except the DJ price.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

...but maybe its best to go to an expert like Hutch or Wizardsrainbow directly, rather than rely on my feeble mind!!
    OMG! Now I'm an expert!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh but I agree with you - I do want priced DJs, too. But this is one of the books I purchased when I still didn't know (or cared) much about 1st edition features. I will probably replace it someday. I'm calling it a 1st because it has all the ID points of a 1st -except the DJ price.
    I hear ya. Like you, when I first started collecting I gobbled up six or seven UK editions thinking great. Then I found out about the true first's and since I collect, as a modest investment as well as, a hobby, I had to go out and re-purchase the true firsts for each. Big difference in price and its a bitch having to query every seller to find out if its in fact a UK first (they all think they are!!! LOL). But, I persevered and I've now got the missing titles down to a short list; The Stand (Original), Carrie, Salem's Lot and Night Shift. mansionbooks.com is a good place to look for them if you're interested.

Best of Luck to you!!!!!!

Oh and Dave? You're an expert compared to me!! (even if you are a freaking Red Sox Fan!!) LOL LOL To date I refuse to add "Faithful" to my collection. Far as I'm concerned it was never written or published! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I only need Carrie (and Cujo, apparently) to complete my UK trade 1sts collection - not that the early (i.e. seventies) books are all in great shape, but I tend to be happy with a VG dust jacket most of the time. I'm a fairly easygoing collector!

*edit* that's why I'm also happy with my red-leather-rebound UK Danse Macabre 1st!

... and I will now refrain from drifting offtopic even further...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions)
    This is bollocks. UK first editions are all printed in the UK. All have prices printed on the dust jackets.

Cujo was printed in Aylesbury on lovely paper made from Scottish trees.

My copy is Fine/Fine with no spine lean.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I've been told (I think it was Hutch or Rusher, but don't quote me) that a lot of the earlier titles were actually printed on inferior quality materials in the U.S. and then shipped to the UK for firms like macDaonald to re-package and distribute for sale in the UK and abroad (as Export and book club editions)
    This is bollocks. UK first editions are all printed in the UK. All have prices printed on the dust jackets.

Well there you have it. Obviously an expert of which I have never professed to be, and I'm outta here.
    Last edited by Merlin1958; 04-02-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: punctuation
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I've always considered the copies price in UK pounds and the unpriced (presumably for export) copies to both be first editions but, for collecting purposes, the priced copies are much more desirable. I tend to ignore the export versions and only accept the priced editions for my collection.

I've got multiple copies of most books and am always looking to add a nice book to my collection. What prompted me to begin this thread in the first place is that I have clicked on every UK copy of CUJO that has appeared on eBay and I haven't found a copy worth buying in five years or more. It just struck me as odd since I don't really consider it a rare book but, in my experience, finding copies in collectible condition is a real challenge.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well there you have it. Obviously an expert of which I have never professed to be, and I'm outta here.
    I don't think information (presumptively correct) is a reason to run away.
    We like you here.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Mr. R.T., I'd love to see a photo or two of your F/F, no lean, price-printed, 1st UK edition of CUJO. Pretty please.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They are both british right?
    Which one is the "normal", and which is the export?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

US (viking)on the right,UK(macdonald) on the left

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

i also have a GBP 6.95 dj and mine is F/F.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really not good about grading, but I'd guess mine is fine or pretty close to it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is mine - I thought it was a 1st/1st edition, but there's no price..
    Still, a lovely copy though!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing those photos, guys. I have CUJO-envy.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.
    Same here.
    Now I would really like to hear from someone who does own a priced 1st/1st of Macdonald's Cujo...

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    my (otherwise very good-looking) copy of the UK Cujo 1st also has an unpriced DJ.
    Same here.
    Now I would really like to hear from someone who does own a priced 1st/1st of Macdonald's Cujo...

sk
    ?
    Mine is priced, as is shnnrc01's in the post above.

Country
    Country Flag

?Mine is priced, as is shnnrc01's in the post above.
    Thanks!
    (Must not have been too awake...)

sk

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

mine is priced at 8.95 pounds

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    mine is priced at 8.95 pounds
    £2 more than the 1st/1st

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast