19 25.68%
  • 2: Only so-so

9 12.16%
  • 1: I didn't like it

5 6.76%
  • Never Read

9 12.16%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #9: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #9: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, 1999

Please vote for The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a three. It was okay.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hesitating between 4+ and 5-

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I was between a 3 and a 4. Ultimately felt compelled to give it a 4, because I did do a reread, and enjoyed it a second time. This places it beyond average for me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know many feel different, but this is truly one of my favorite of King's tales. 5 all the way.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Nicely written and all but I don't feel compelled to read it again.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a 3 for me!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

3. Average

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I don't know, I just could not get into this one. I don't remember it too well, but I disliked it a lot. The same can be said for The Colorado Kid. Some day I have to re-read both of these since they are so short and see if my opinion has changed.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Hrm. This is a tough one for me. Parts of it are definitely a 5, but other parts seemed forced. I haven't reread it, so perhaps I'll give it another go soon. I'll have to sleep on my vote, though.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Totally entertaining.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a 4. I gave it a 5 last year, but even though I enjoyed rereading it it didn't have the same impact. I think that's a downside of rereading sometimes.

What remains my favourite thing about this book, is King's ability to tell a great story using just one character (for the majority of the book.)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember anything forced. I think it's a fine novel. However, there's nothing that makes it unique in SK's library.

Nevertheless, I can't see what it might have in common with The Colorado Kid... any particular reason you disliked both, 2ndbig?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.353846154 or 67.08%, placing 4th in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon also placed 4th with a FAS of 3.387096774, so it lost 0.033250620 (-0.98%) this time.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Hi pathoftheturtle. I read so much I can't remember exactly why later King doesn't interest me as much as his earlier works, but I have the impression that his characters are uninteresting to me now, and I just can't relate to them or their problems. I could hardly put down books like FIRESTARTER, THE STAND, CUJO, THE DARK HALF, MISERY, THE GREEN MILE, etc. But starting with INSOMNIA, his books seem to be hit and miss for me now, mainly miss. The "gosh wow, this is so great!" just isn't there anymore (with a few exceptions), although THE CELL almost sparked again. DUMA KEY was mostly readable, and I devoured the passages when he was just starting to get into his painting, but I found that book to be too overwritten. I'm no critic, and never want to be one, but I know what I like!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread