Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which side would you choose?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hope I would choose the good side.

11 36.67%
  • I hope I would choose the evil side.

2 6.67%
  • I am pretty sure I would choose the good side.

12 40.00%
  • I am pretty sure I would choose the evil side.

0 0%
  • What a stupid question.

0 0%
  • I don't know.

1 3.33%
  • That depends...

4 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Evil vs. The Good - but which is your side?

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    How could it be more beautiful!? Details please.
    Have you ever seen a fire dance across a forest? Have you ever seen a tornado blow through a town? Have you ever seen a volcano erupt? These things are all gorgeous to behold; much more beautiful than any creation.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Have you ever seen a fire dance across a forest? Have you ever seen a tornado blow through a town? Have you ever seen a volcano erupt? These things are all gorgeous to behold; much more beautiful than any creation.
    Okay, I believe that these things are beautiful for you. But for me building a snowman is more beautiful than a tornado blowing through a town. Actually I can find a tornado beautiful till it means danger to others.
    We are different.

Roland would have understood.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

As it pertains to books and movies I tend to favor the bad guys to see how bad they can make it for the good guys to correct things.

Many that know me here also know I can be a belligerent ass.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Um, take it from someone who had a front row seat, at the time the tornado is blowing through town, beauty is the LAST thing on your mind.

That said, the destruction afterward is pretty amazing.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm the kind of person who looks at negative things, unjust things, even "evil" things, and longs to be able to correct them all by herself. I have what I call a "Slayer Complex," I believe that I should be able to do this, fight evil and negativity, but alas, am never in a position where I would be able to do so. Given the chance, I would fight for what I believe in my heart to be good and right.

That being said, when it comes to books and movies, I fall in love with all characters good or bad, though I root for the good.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Typically I "see" and usually "get" both sides of any given
    thing...tho' my heart is completely bathed with the light
    Now, speaking personally...I believe it may be no such thing
    as good or bad, but like with so much else is a perceptual
    relative term. I Am a " Judge not least ye be judged" kind a gal.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

<-- Neutral Good.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

exactly!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    The question is, this being a dt site, do you believe Roland was a good guy? Was he on the side of good completely?

I voted it depends. The reality is that we all would like to believe we'd choose good, but we are selfish creatures, we human. If the side of good is in line with my goals, I'm pretty sure I'd be good. But humans are notorious for their justifications to themselves and others in pursuing their ends.
    We even lie to ourselves about these things. That's why I consider my good part to be chaotic good. I believe that Roland was as well.
    i always saw him as lawful evil...or at least he starts out that way in The Gunslinger...but he changes to neutral good by the end of the series. He gets his humanity back...

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Interesting take. I'm definitely going to examine him from that angle next read.

I think that he was supposed to be lawful good, but the obsession with the tower turned him. I don't believe it made him evil, but I do think that it made him redefine good in his own mind. Thus, he could always rationalize his choices/actions.

You may be right about the end, though.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Since pathoftheturtle mentioned his "alignment" in such simple terms, I guess I should, too. This is my supposed alignment, and I suppose it fits pretty fucking perfectly

Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Sloth Love Chunk

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Interesting take. I'm definitely going to examine him from that angle next read.

I think that he was supposed to be lawful good, but the obsession with the tower turned him. I don't believe it made him evil, but I do think that it made him redefine good in his own mind. Thus, he could always rationalize his choices/actions.

You may be right about the end, though.
    I think you're right in that he started out as lawful good...maybe leaning toward lawful neutral. As time went on (before the events in The Gunslinger) he lost more and more of his respect for life. The world he was in had no small influence on him too. It appears that he always obeyed the gunslingers code though. His first experience with Jake...even though it cemented his evilness to me...also jarred his dormant goodness awake. Eddie and Susannah brought it out more. Then Jake came back and everything that was good in Roland began to blossom again...not enough if you ask me (and Susannah)...but it did blossom.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you think that, when he neglected to rescue Jake, it was out of self-interest? That (selfishness) is a key qualification of Evil in the AD&D model. The choice there was, at least in name, for a higher cause.

I think that he started Lawful Good, turned to Lawful Neutral, then became good again. (Still pretty Lawful, tho, I wot.)

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

my impression of "lawful evil" has always been a person that holds law and order as paramount. Life, love, freedom, individual expression, and let alone the feelings of others are all meaningless to someone that is lawful evil. It seemed to me that Roland fit that description pretty well when we met him. At best, I'm willing to give him lawful neutral with a severe lack of compassion. The man was practically a machine.

Then again,
    Spoiler:
    King wanted us to think of him as a scary and bad man...a character that gave him such a horrible feeling that he was reluctant to continue writing about him. Yes, when we take Roland's past into consideration he certainly started out being lawful good. And he was being raised to be a white knight (perhaps a merciless white knight when executing his duty but certainly an agent of good) . But the woman he loved being burned to death, then the deaths of every one else he loved, being tricked into killing his own mother and knowing his mother had a lengthy affair with the man who turned out to be his father's worst enemy, then, of course, the downfall of his entire society and the taking over of his entire world by the Red...well...that might turn a dude pretty cold.

But I do see that in a world of darkness one would almost have to be a creature of darkness to survive as long as he as, let alone succeed in his quest.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    my impression of "lawful evil" has always been a person that holds law and order as paramount. ...
    So, then, how do you define Lawful Neutral? A true machine which sticks to programming is entirely Lawful, but it's doubtful that it's either Good or Evil. Lawful Evil, IMO, uses law and order as a means to evil ends. It is those which they hold paramount.

I've been thinking about it, though, and I think that Roland might have been Neutral Good at the very start, despite his strict training.
    Wizard and Glass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2