Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which side would you choose?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hope I would choose the good side.

11 36.67%
  • I hope I would choose the evil side.

2 6.67%
  • I am pretty sure I would choose the good side.

12 40.00%
  • I am pretty sure I would choose the evil side.

0 0%
  • What a stupid question.

0 0%
  • I don't know.

1 3.33%
  • That depends...

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Evil vs. The Good - but which is your side?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Evil vs. The Good - but which is your side?

In many books and movies there is a bad/evil side for example Crimson King or Dart Vader and there is the good side like gunslingers or jedi. The Stand would be a perfect example, too. (In life of course it's not that easy to tell whcih is which.)
    And we see that usually more people choose the bad side - because they are weak, selfish, frightened stuff like that - than the good side.

Which size would YOU choose if you had to? Think about it. I am really interested in your answers.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I assume you have already voted? There was one vote when I saw the thread. We have voted the same, then

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, we all voted the same way

In any situation such as The Stand (or, as you mentioned, Star Wars) I would hope that I would join the good side. Looking at all the facts, though, it's probably that I would join the evil side. I don't know why, but destruction is always more beautiful than creation. But I would never destroy beauty.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    I don't know why, but destruction is always more beautiful than creation.
    How could it be more beautiful!? Details please.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't voted yet, because I'm not sure that you get to choose in these situations. I mean if your dad was evil minion, and his dad was an evil minion and so on and so forth, that pretty much means you will be an evil minion. The converse is true as well. I mean an orc is an orc. I'm not sure if one is able to choose whether to be an angel or a demon.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

As i have voted i am pretty sure i would choose the good side!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to think I would Stand against evil. But I like the point about pretty much being what your father was.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would like to think I would Stand against evil. But I like the point about pretty much being what your father was.
    But why? I know that fathers are icons to their children but it's not always true. Moreover... I know some people who have become great people because they didn't want to be anything like their fathers.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But why? I know that fathers are icons to their children but it's not always true. Moreover... I know some people who have become great people because they didn't want to be anything like their fathers.
    This is true, I was speaking mostly about the mythological examples that were used in the questions. I find it hard to believe that the son of a storm trooper would grow up to be a jedi no matter how strong the force is with him. Seriously though, I think that most of us perceive that we are on the rightous side no matter which side that is. We are conditioned to believe that God is on our side so to speak. This idea of manifest destiny spans through all cultures and races. For instance, during the western expansion on the North American continent, I pretty sure that the settlers thought that God was on there side, and that they were being good Christians, converting the "heathen" Native Americans. But, I'm pretty sure that the Indians saw this differently. I doubt that Nazis perceived themselves as evil. And, I am sure that Darth Vader and the Wicked Witch of the West both felt like they were fighting the good fight. It is often a matter of perception as to which side is good or bad, and usually only those individuals outside of the fight can see things objectively.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I haven't voted yet, because I'm not sure that you get to choose in these situations. I mean if your dad was evil minion, and his dad was an evil minion and so on and so forth, that pretty much means you will be an evil minion. The converse is true as well. I mean an orc is an orc. I'm not sure if one is able to choose whether to be an angel or a demon.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I always choose what I think is good. I don't think I've ever consciously chose to do an evil thing. But I don't think I can vote either. As BC pointed out...it's a matter of perspective. One might be, from their point of view, doing the correct and moral thing...what they're "supposed" to do. But in so doing, they could be furthering a darker end. (this is what Darth Sidious' rise to power was all about) Flagg also seemed to use the morality of others to bring about bad ends for entire civilizations. Or conversely, one might do something that appears evil but is actually of great benefit to the greater good like what happened at the end of Watchmen or the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. (if you believe the estimates that even more lives would have been lost with an invasion of Japan)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There but for the grace of God go I. It's even harder than books make it sound... but I am pretty sure.
    Luke: There is still good in him.
    Obi-Wan: He's more machine now than man; twisted and evil.
    Luke: I can't do it, Ben.
    Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
    Luke: I can't kill my own father.
    Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously though, I think that most of us perceive that we are on the rightous side no matter which side that is.
    This, exactly. I voted that I was pretty sure I'd choose the good side.

But if the evil side has cookies, all bets are off.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I almost voted "it depends," but decided that I would choose the good side in most circumstances so voted that way instead.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I doubt that Nazis perceived themselves as evil. And, I am sure that Darth Vader and the Wicked Witch of the West both felt like they were fighting the good fight. It is often a matter of perception as to which side is good or bad, and usually only those individuals outside of the fight can see things objectively.
    I understand the point that you are making, and to some degree I agree, but I don't think it works for the extremes such as the Nazis, or fictionally for someone like Vader. In both cases they had ideals which they perceived to be a better way of life - but I don't think at any point they thought it was for the greater good, it was for their own personal good. As for their soldiers and minions, everyone has a personal sense of right and wrong and stemming from that is a more defined common sense of right and wrong, with both these examples the individuals carrying out orders of mass extermination were aware that they had crossed a line, but followed through with it either out of fear of reprimand or out of, in many cases, a chance to act out on sadistic tendancies that had always been present.

I like to think I would choose the good side. I mean, I guess when we're thinking good and evil we can't help but define it by religious concepts, even if we're not religious. So like, I think - well I like to party and bend the rules which makes me think by another's definition I'd be on the dark side, but at my moral core I know I could never do anything that truly constituted "evil", so yeah - it'd be Boulder for me

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would make a conscious effort to make the moral decision. But that doesn't mean that the ultimate choice I made would be perceived by others, especially those that oppose me, as the moral choice. Look at politics for example, most people tend to one side or the other, and everyone thinks that their ideals are for the greater good. And I still believe that this holds true for extremes such as the Nazi's. Since they considered Jews and others to actually be animals, (not of the human race) They BELIEVED that their actions were for the betterment of the human race. (their human race) Brainwashing is very powerful if the brainwasher is good what they do.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm pretty certain I'd be on the good side, but I'm chaotic good.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm chaotic neutral. I am completely unpredictable.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Worried

I'm chaotic neutral. I am completely unpredictable.
    Heh, actually that's closer to the truth for me as well, but I was defining my good side as I feel fairly certain that I'd not go with the evil side. I've dealt with a lot of thieves and rapists and potential rapists and just general assholes because they liked it, and I know I don't want to be hanging out on that side.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I would never actively choose to be on the side of evil. However, I'm not gonna make a mask, perfect my hand to hand combat skills, and run out fight crime either. For instance, I HATE cops (or any other authority figure for that matter), but I'm not gonna try and take one out either. I practice avoidance.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

The question is, this being a dt site, do you believe Roland was a good guy? Was he on the side of good completely?

I voted it depends. The reality is that we all would like to believe we'd choose good, but we are selfish creatures, we human. If the side of good is in line with my goals, I'm pretty sure I'd be good. But humans are notorious for their justifications to themselves and others in pursuing their ends.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    The question is, this being a dt site, do you believe Roland was a good guy? Was he on the side of good completely?

I voted it depends. The reality is that we all would like to believe we'd choose good, but we are selfish creatures, we human. If the side of good is in line with my goals, I'm pretty sure I'd be good. But humans are notorious for their justifications to themselves and others in pursuing their ends.
    We even lie to ourselves about these things. That's why I consider my good part to be chaotic good. I believe that Roland was as well.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I think part of what makes the dark tower stories so good is the way it deconstructs the struggle between "good" and "evil" by the end the lines are blurred everywhere, given roland's fate and the fact that flagg was a fake and mordred was a sad angry kid and the CK himself was just a bitter old man, it's more complicated that just "good versus evil"

that said, I'm a destructive, impulsive, egomaniacal, narcissist
    so I'm already rotten to the core
    I'd hope I choose the evil side
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I think part of what makes the dark tower stories so good is the way it deconstructs the struggle between "good" and "evil" by the end the lines are blurred everywhere, given roland's fate and the fact that flagg was a fake and mordred was a sad angry kid and the CK himself was just a bitter old man, it's more complicated that just "good versus evil"

that said, I'm a destructive, impulsive, egomaniacal, narcissist
    so I'm already rotten to the core
    I'd hope I choose the evil side
    LOL! See, in a post-apocalyptic society, that's when the chaotic part of me would come out and I'd have to kill someone like this. You threaten all of us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast