Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1916

Thread: Horror films

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love his version of Halloween. I know a lot of people don't like it because it's different from the original, but if you view them as two different entities hopefully you'll appreciate it. And it's funny because one of the things I love about his remake is that he gives Michael Myers a backstory, and you see him as a kid, and how he ends up becoming this "monster". Going back to the Q&A he actually talked about this exact thing. He loved those monster movies from the 30's like Frankenstein and Wolfman, and then how you had a rush of films like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm St. The early ones had you rooting for the monster to some extent because you felt sympathy for them. They were monsters after all and just doing what monsters do. Whereas in this generation of horror films that empathy for the villain was lost. It's not to say one is right or wrong. But when he went to make Halloween he wanted to capture that aspect and bring it to Michael Myers.

I think the documentary is called In Hell Everyone Loves Popcorn. He did something similar for Halloween and it was on the dvd release of the film (it's 4 1/2hrs long!), so I wonder if that's what he'll do with this one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    His first Halloween was OK. The first hour of it was great but the second part got boring with Jason smashing everything for a good thirty minutes. Halloween II made the girl sitting beside me throw up. That's about the best I can say about that one.
    I didn't care for the second one either. I tried to rewatch a few years later to see if after my disappointment I could appreciate it in some way, but it didn't work. That and The Haunted World of El Superbeasto are the only two films of his I haven't enjoyed.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I haven't seen Superbeasto yet.

I'm of two minds about The Lords of Salem. I really appreciate what he tried to do there but it was very hard to make Sheri Moon Zombie a sympathetic character after having seen her craziness in all his other films. But I'm not entirely sure the film wants us to be sympathetic with her if that makes any kind of sense.

I love The Devil's Rejects and really liked House of 1000 Corpses though.

How would you rank 31 compared to his others Heather?

That's one thing that irritates me about his films, is that he always casts her in a leading role. I wish that one time he wouldn't.

I'd rank them:
    House of 1000 Corpses
    The Devil's Rejects
    Halloween
    Lords of Salem
    Halloween II
    The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    That's one thing that irritates me about his films, is that he always casts her in a leading role. I wish that one time he wouldn't.
    Agreed. I like her a lot, but it seems like he uses her as a crutch.

I think 31 opens wide on the 16th, so I'll try to see it in theaters.

EDIT: I'm reading some reviews that mention a lot of shakey cam. Is that accurate? I get nauseous watching "found footage" (or films shot like it) on the big screen.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I liked Coherence much, much more. That one had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    I absolutely loved Coherence (except the final part, which I found silly, unless, as I probably already said somewhere, they thought of it first and then wrote the rest to accommodate the ending, and then the two didn't really fit together), especially the way they
    Spoiler:
    endlessly talked and talked, just like people - I believe - actually would behave in a situation like this, getting bogged down in their problems, irrelevant to the situation, or theorizing and experimenting... and talking, talking all the time! - instead of rushing about yelling "why are you doing this to me" or similar nonsense

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I liked Coherence much, much more. That one had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    I absolutely loved Coherence (except the final part, which I found silly, unless, as I probably already said somewhere, they thought of it first and then wrote the rest to accommodate the ending, and then the two didn't really fit together), especially the way they
    Spoiler:
    endlessly talked and talked, just like people - I believe - actually would behave in a situation like this, getting bogged down in their problems, irrelevant to the situation, or theorizing and experimenting... and talking, talking all the time! - instead of rushing about yelling "why are you doing this to me" or similar nonsense
    agreed
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Don't Breathe: Yes people have mentioned it on the movie thread, but I figured I would mention it here briefly. Liked it a lot, but the repetition of the ending was too much. I feel it wasn't needed.
    Lights Out: It wasn't bad, not great, but not bad. Had some nice ideas within it. At the same time things didn't make sense with how the spirit moved around if light was the "enemy."
    Friend Request: Not as bad as I thought it would be but also nothing that popped out as good either.

I'm trying not to give out spoilers. Anytime someone marks a spoiler, come on, I have to read it! So I'm not posting anything like that.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

Oujia Origin of Evil: I figured this would be awful. I was wrong. The first 40 minutes really set up the plot and characters well. Some creepy things would happen with no jump scares. There were some though, but surprised I liked the movie. The little girl was very good in it and creepy. A nice movie to watch at night. It was no Conjuring 1 and 2 or It Follows or Stranger Things, but it wasn't that bad.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, for the most part. The characterization was nice and I liked how the spent time on them without feeling the need to shoehorn in jump scares (though there were some, like you said). If it was more suspenseful or had some good scares, I would have liked it even more. And yes, the little girl was great (I saw her when she was on The Millers, but didn't recognize it was the same actress until I went on IMDB).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Confused

I agree, for the most part. The characterization was nice and I liked how the spent time on them without feeling the need to shoehorn in jump scares (though there were some, like you said). If it was more suspenseful or had some good scares, I would have liked it even more. And yes, the little girl was great (I saw her when she was on The Millers, but didn't recognize it was the same actress until I went on IMDB).
    Didn't know that about the Millers....didn't remember her as being her. Funny thing. Re-watched the prequel The Thing. Saw Tormond in it!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Maggie was pretty bad.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Maggie was pretty bad.
    I know right? Like really bad. Almost like affirmative action for zombies. Thumbs way down!

Watched The Shallows the other night. Thought I had heard some decent reviews of it, but the movie was a bit ridiculous and very unbelievable.

My Mood
    Confused

Watched The Shallows the other night. Thought I had heard some decent reviews of it, but the movie was a bit ridiculous and very unbelievable.
    I was super disappointed as well. Unless of course, you like watching an attractive woman in a bikini straddle a rock all day. Rating? 4/10

I think I will just stay with.....
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I think I will just stay with.....
    Spoiler:
    Much better lol

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I was super disappointed as well. Unless of course, you like watching an attractive woman in a bikini straddle a rock all day. Rating? 4/10
    Well, that doesn't hurt! I loved The Shallows. Fantastic cinematography and I loved the struggle for survival. I thought it was well made.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Love it! I actually have that action figure too

My Mood
    Confused

Bye Bye Man: crap crap movie.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Loved Hush

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast