Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1916

Thread: Horror films

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh my friends!! only two episodes of Stranger Things left to go, and alas! it will be over - over - over!.. I could watch it for ever... so good, so sweet, so cozy and moving and funny! those kids are amazing - yes, Heather, I definitely see what you meant when you said there's something for bears there!

oh can't thank you enough!..

(that it has nothing to do with horrors is quite another matter, lol)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Stranger Things was very good but too short. Jean, what about Penny Dreadful?
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Penny Dreadful, watching the final two episodes tonight. Will let you know what I think afterwards. But so far I'm not too keen on this season as a whole. Splitting up all the characters hasn't worked for me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Jean, what about Penny Dreadful?
    what about it? do you think bears should watch it? ***interested bear***

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That depends, do you enjoy genuinely scary horror? What about a TV show that brings to life some of the genre's best literary characters? Or the best exorcism/possession sequence in film or TV? Or amazing dialogue?

Nah, you probably wouldn't like any of that.

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Penny Dreadful just showed up on Netflix recently. Excited to finally be able to watch it. I think they have 2 seasons available. Is this all there is, or are there a few more?

Jean, so glad you're enjoying Stranger Things! Although I knew you would. To me it was very reminiscent of some of Kings stories for some reason. Also go visit the Stranger Things thread. I posted a fun little video that played side by side some of the films it's referenced.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Penny Dreadful just showed up on Netflix recently. Excited to finally be able to watch it. I think they have 2 seasons available. Is this all there is, or are there a few more?

Jean, so glad you're enjoying Stranger Things! Although I knew you would. To me it was very reminiscent of some of Kings stories for some reason. Also go visit the Stranger Things thread. I posted a fun little video that played side by side some of the films it's referenced.
    3 seasons total was the creators vision. Like Ricky said the 3rd season broke the cast up a bit on their own journeys. That didn't bother me as much as it officially ending for good. your episode guide would be 8, 10, 9 for the three seasons. Overall I loved the show, the characters, scenery, etc. They added some new very good characters season 3, but no true "finale" for them. Just assumptions the creator of the show tells you in an interview after the fact online. Is that a bad thing? Depends on the viewer. I could have used one more season to see where characters were going.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Jean, what about Penny Dreadful?
    what about it? do you think bears should watch it? ***interested bear***
    I would. It is only 3 seasons and done done.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    That depends, do you enjoy genuinely scary horror? What about a TV show that brings to life some of the genre's best literary characters? Or the best exorcism/possession sequence in film or TV? Or amazing dialogue?

Nah, you probably wouldn't like any of that.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Confused

Nina Forever: Shanon mentioned this movie in another post and I agree with her. Boring movie, but made better with a perfect rack lol.
    Holidays: Horror movie done with many holiday themes. Nothing special or worthwhile to me.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holidays: Horror movie done with many holiday themes. Nothing special or worthwhile to me.
    I liked some of the stories in this anthology. At least they were each short enough that if one were bad at least it was over quickly. Easter (so bizarre!) and the New Years episodes were the highlights for me.
    And maybe (?) Halloween, cuz Kevin Smith.

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    I liked some of the stories in this anthology. At least they were each short enough that if one were bad at least it was over quickly. Easter (so bizarre!) and the New Years episodes were the highlights for me.
    And maybe (?) Halloween, cuz Kevin Smith.
    New Years I liked the most. Easter was interesting. But the others I didn't enjoy. St. Patrick's Day .

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just watched The Invitation last night. I really, really liked it. The pacing was perfect and the characters interesting. And here's the thing...I had no idea where the movie was going. I'm sure a lot of people picked up on certain things and pat themselves on the back for having "figured it out" or whatever, but I just fell into the movie and let it take me for a ride. The reveal in the third act caught me completely by surprise. Was the third act perfect? No. But I forgive it. Mentally, I was scoring a "4/5" rating until the very final scene. Wow! Instant bump up to 5/5!

I see a lot of people trashing the movie in comments (Netflix, IMdB) and I can only assume they were expecting Saw or Silent Hill or whatever. Do these people not know how to appreciate a slowly building mystery? I like a good mindless horror, but a movie like this, done well, is extremely fulfilling. I like some of the ambiguity of the film and I've found myself going over certain scenes in my mind, now with the benefit of hindsight. It also goes to show that it doesn't take gallons of blood, a bloated budget, and expensive CGI (or cheap CGI, for that matter) to make a good, smart movie. In this day and age of Gore Part VII and I Eat Your Flesh, with no imagination, I tip my hat to the screenwriter and director of The Invitation, who prove that you can make an atmospheric, intelligent thriller with nothing more than 12 (or so) people at a dinner party, a good script, and good actors.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Excellent review. I really loved the buildup as well.
    Spoiler:
    I couldn't figure out what was going on, if the guy was paranoid, or if he was on to something, and something horrible was really going to happen. I think I was leaning more to him being paranoid, so it also caught me off guard when things went down.
    I do wish they would make more horror films like this these days.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Excellent review. I really loved the buildup as well.
    Spoiler:
    I couldn't figure out what was going on, if the guy was paranoid, or if he was on to something, and something horrible was really going to happen. I think I was leaning more to him being paranoid, so it also caught me off guard when things went down.
    I do wish they would make more horror films like this these days.
    Yeah, I knew
    Spoiler:
    it was a cult, but I was thinking it was maybe your typical Hollywood New Age woo woo and finding your inner consciousnesses or whatever. I had no inkling it was a suicide cult and what awaited the dinner guests at the end of the night, although in retrospect, the clues were all over the place.

In fact, if a movie is more mystery or psychological thriller, then I don't even look for "horror" elements. Like Jacob's Ladder or The Sixth Sense. Are these "horror" movies? Yeah, I guess. But watching them pokes at completely different parts of the nerve stem than a more traditional horror.

Also, I only watched the trailer for The Invitation after watching the movie. I literally knew nothing about the film other than a positive mention here (thanks, Heather!). I think that helped my enjoyment immensely. I mean, the trailer gives away basically the entire 3rd act! I know they have to put butts in seats, but geeze! If I was watching the movie knowing what was coming up, I would not have enjoyed it half as much. For movies like this, you pretty much have to go in cold.

Oh wow, good thing I didn't watch the trailer I hate trailers for horror films because they usually give away the best scares. I'm glad you listened to my mention of it and gave it a view. I think I came across a mention of it somewhere online where it was listed as one of the horror films of 2016 that you have to see. I was home sick in bed and scrolling thru netflix and I came across it, and remembered the article I had read. Another one they mentioned that is also streaming on netflix is The Pack. Has anyone here seen it yet? And if so would you recommend it?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    In fact, if a movie is more mystery or psychological thriller, then I don't even look for "horror" elements. Like Jacob's Ladder or The Sixth Sense. Are these "horror" movies? Yeah, I guess. But watching them pokes at completely different parts of the nerve stem than a more traditional horror.
    Well said.

Now that we're on it, I think I prefer psychological thrillers to out and out horror films.

The former aren't really interested in cheap jump scares, they drill down deep into the subconscious.

That scene in Jacob's Ladder when they drag that guy away and you see their heads shaking violently inside the cab.. fuck that gave me the creeps for days.

Country
    Country Flag

I think the trailer for The Invitation factored into my disappointment with it. They made it seem so tense, creepy, and mysterious (which it was, to a degree, though not as much as I would've liked), so I was expecting it to be that way throughout the whole movie. It just moved too slowly for me. They're not incredibly similar except for the mystery and dinner party elements, but I liked Coherence much, much more. That one had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I think the trailer for The Invitation factored into my disappointment with it. They made it seem so tense, creepy, and mysterious (which it was, to a degree, though not as much as I would've liked), so I was expecting it to be that way throughout the whole movie. It just moved too slowly for me. They're not incredibly similar except for the mystery and dinner party elements, but I liked Coherence much, much more. That one had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    Totally agree.
    I did truly enjoy the Conjuring 2. A bit long for a horror movie though. But not complaining.

I went to see Rob Zombie's latest film 31 last night. Loved it. It was an all out gore fest, so I'd only recommend it if you're into those types of films. They also showed a q&a with Zombie after the film, and there was one thing that he said which was something to the effect of how there's a very particular type of film that he loves, and it's definitely not for everyone. And he makes those types of films. He knows he's catering to a very small particular crowd, and that most people won't like his films, but he doesn't care. He does it for himself and people like him that love those films. I can definitely see that. It seems like most people hate his films and don't appreciate them.

They also showed a sneak peak about a documentary that's being made about the film. I'm dying to see it now. They pretty much went over an entire scene in the film and showed how it was made. I love in depth filmmaking stuff like that.

Country
    Country Flag

You went to the one-night Q&A special, right? I was wondering if you would go. I was considering it, then I saw that tickets at my theater were $16.50. Since his films are hit and miss for me I figured I'd wait for the wide release or DVD. The Q&A does sound like it would've been cool, though. Was it live streamed (and how long was it)?

So, if I liked Devil's Rejects, but wasn't a fan of House of 1,000 Corpses or Lords of Salem, do you think I'll like 31?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I did. Luckily we went to see Don't Breath last week because they showed a quick preview for the one night event. I marked it in my calendar instantly. They showed 2 of his music videos prior to the movie, and then a quick Q&A (which was maybe 15 min? and pretaped) and then that sneak peak at the documentary which was even longer than the Q&A. Although most people left right after the movie, so I'm not sure they knew about the bonus stuff playing after the film.

As for you liking the film, I'm going to guess no? Only since you didn't like House of 1000 Corpses. But I could be wrong. I hope you give it a shot at some point and enjoy it. It is much faster paced than Lords of Salem. Actually probably the exact opposite. It's pretty much non-stop minus the opening sequence that sets up the characters. To me it was just one of those fun gory types of horror films. Another interesting thing from the Q&A was when he was talking about shooting this film in 20 days. He had to really trim the fat, and make the script really tight. I guess he had 22 or 23 days to shoot Lords of Salem, and at that time he hadn't worked so quickly, and the film slightly suffered because of it. He kept reshooting several scenes, and in the end didn't have time to shoot some scenes that he wanted to include. It does make me wonder if he had more time if the film would have been better because maybe those scenes would have added to the film. Also this one was primarily shot in one location so he didn't have to waste time moving and resetting up everything, and he also wondered had he filmed Lords of Salem primarily in the apt, if he could have made it a much tighter film.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll never understand why people are in such a rush to leave the theater. When I went to see Don't Breathe, about half of the full audience had left before the last scene. But I guess maybe you're right and they didn't realize their ticket to 31 included all the bonus stuff. It sounds like it was a good Q&A. I never heard of the documentary, though.

I'll see 31 at some point (I also need to see his version of Halloween). The fast pacing of it is promising.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

His first Halloween was OK. The first hour of it was great but the second part got boring with Jason smashing everything for a good thirty minutes. Halloween II made the girl sitting beside me throw up. That's about the best I can say about that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast