Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

turtlex : thought you guys might get a kick out of this list!

Eli Roth picks his 5 most favorite horror movies
    By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Movie Critic

.LOS ANGELES – There are horror movie geeks, and then there is Eli Roth.

The writer-director of "Cabin Fever" and the "Hostel" movies and producer of "The Last Exorcism" has encyclopedic knowledge of the genre. So with Halloween coming, we asked him to take over the Five Most space and pick his five favorite horror movies. He responded so quickly and thoroughly, it was scary.

Here are Roth's choices in descending order, including his detailed analysis, with the last one being his favorite:

• "Sleepaway Camp" (1983): Ah, "Sleepaway Camp." I remember watching this film at a sleepover with Lenny Mead and a bunch of friends in the mid-'80s, and when the movie ended we literally stood up out of our chairs and screamed at the top of our lungs until we ran out of air. I will not say why — and don't go looking up the spoilers on the Internet because that will take all the fun away. Treat yourself to a wonderful surprise. Director Robert Hiltzik's film is anything but a by-the-numbers, early '80s, low-budget slasher flick set at a summer camp. The kills are fun, but the ending simply cannot be topped. Don't read anything about it, just go rent it, pop it in, and watch your friends freak out. This will be the film you guys talk about for weeks after.

• "Troll 2" (1990): In the past few years, this has become the most made-fun-of horror movie for many, many reasons, all of which are documented in the excellent film "Best Worst Movie." The director, the inimitable Italian maestro Claudio Fragasso, had a script that had nothing to do with trolls, but he could get it financed if he changed the title to "Troll 2." Fragasso let the financiers change the title but refused to change anything else, and as a result there are many goblins, but not a single troll in the entire film. It will take hours to get through this gem because you'll keep pausing and replaying the lines over and over. "Troll 2" is one of the rare sequels where you don't have to waste time watching the first one, since the films have absolutely nothing to do with one another. It has such a strong cult following, it was recently re-released on Blu Ray for you to enjoy in all its high-definition glory.

• "Creepshow" (1982): George Romero was the king of horror then, having made the classics "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead," Stephen King was the scariest author on the planet (and still is, as far as I'm concerned), and Tom Savini had upset nearly every parent in America by creating the goriest makeup effects in the nastiest horror films of the golden era. The three of them teamed up to create an old EC Comics-style scarefest that is "Creepshow." The movie, told in five stories, is designed to look like a comic book, but it is creepy. And disgusting. And really, really fun. Plus it's an anthology so you don't really have to pay attention, and if you're not that into the story, a new one will be on in 10 minutes. I watch it now and find myself saying things like, "Look, Ed Harris with hair!" An amazing cast, incredible script, brilliant makeup effects, and nonstop fun. A very underrated horror movie that's a guaranteed good time.

• "Zombi 2" (1980): One of those rare sequels that isn't actually a sequel. It was just called "Zombi 2" because, in Italy, "Dawn of the Dead" was released under the title "Zombi," and the producers wanted to trick people into thinking this was the second one, even though the two films have nothing to do with each other. Other than zombies, that is. "Zombie," as it's commonly known in the United States, has grown over time to be one of the most beloved zombie movies, with scenes of gore so spectacular and horrifying they still stand head and shoulders above any zombie movie made since. Lucio Fulci is one of my all-time favorite directors, and whenever I film a particularly gory scene, we all close our eyes and try to channel him for inspiration. "Zombi 2" has the greatest scene ever committed to celluloid, and is actually responsible for the modern movement of zombie films. Nothing comes close to it, which is why the die-hard horror nerds like me wear T-shirts that say "Viva Fulci!" A must-see for any zombie apocalypse fan.

• "Pieces" (1982): Watching this film with a crowd is the most fun experience I have ever had watching a movie. I showed it to a packed house at a film festival I held a few years ago, and people had so much fun that, afterward, they were actually depressed they'd never have that good a time at the movies again. This was the movie where on the poster you saw a chain saw, a stitched-up dead girl, and the tag line: "It's exactly what you think it is." Some movies don't exactly live up to their poster. Juan Piquer Simon's does. But "Pieces" is also one of the craziest, most random and insane slasher films ever made. You think you have it figured out and then the film blindsides you. There are many, many classic scenes, like the infamous tennis match, which has some of the best extras casting in the history of cinema. "Pieces" truly is my favorite slasher film of all time, and it's the one movie that never fails to have the audience totally entertained from start to finish. It's also got an ending to rival "Sleepaway Camp." I am almost sorry you are going to watch "Pieces" because pretty much any moviegoing experience after will be a letdown.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ugh, Eli Roth doesn't deserve to have a list. Conversation for another day though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What Ricky said.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thank Pam. I'm dying to see Pieces now! I can't believe I have never even heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    Heather : if you haven't seen Ravenous (by Antonia Bird, an English director), I think I can recommend it, at least to an extent - it's not like you should drop everything and watch it, but if it comes your way, don't dismiss it as another piece of crap right away. It has some beautiful sequences, and, though worse than some Spanish ones, is still better than most American horrors I've seen. That lady who directed it sure understands something about movies.
    Actually I have seen it. But I think I saw it in the theater when it was first released, so it's been years. I barely remember anything about it. I promise to rewatch it sometime soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    Heather : if you haven't seen Ravenous (by Antonia Bird, an English director), I think I can recommend it, at least to an extent - it's not like you should drop everything and watch it, but if it comes your way, don't dismiss it as another piece of crap right away. It has some beautiful sequences, and, though worse than some Spanish ones, is still better than most American horrors I've seen. That lady who directed it sure understands something about movies.
    I've always wanted to see Ravenous.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Ravenous rocks.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

that is the one with Guy Pierce in it right...that was a good movie...I just didn't see it as a horror movie.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Along the Path of the Beam HellBeast is on a distinguished road HellBeast's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love [REC] and I really enjoy the sequel too, the part of the sequel that got me is when

SPOILER

Paranormal Activity scared the daylights out of me in the cinema, but then on DVD it was really poor. The atmosphere created by the bangs and such around me in the theatre really got to me, but then on DVD it's just... there. The trailer for the sequel looks like it'll affect me in the same way lol.

Has anyone seen Inside? It's French, real name is L'Intereur I believe, absolutely fantastic movie. The actions of the villain in the movie are extreme to say the least, but in her shoes I can't see a woman acting differently. Definitely worth a check, but it's brutally violent, to warn y'all

You can't go wrong with classic horrors, the likes of Alien and Nightmare On Elm Street being two of my favourites.

I watched Human Centipede after much excitement... it's a bit of a letdown after the plot being given away on the internet, but I think that if nothing had been said of the movie, and you watched it with no knowledge of what it entails, then it would shock the hell out of you. The director has said that the first movie was done so as to desensitize people to the idea of the human centipede, and the sequel is going to be full-on graphic detail, so I look forward to that somewhat.

Let The Right One In is beyond fantastic, the book was incredible and the movie is just breathtaking. A true masterpiece. I'll check out the American/English remake, purely because as such a big fan I couldn't leave it unseen and (probably) un-critiqued.

Trick R Treat, again, absolutely incredible. I loved everything about the film, the concept, the characters, Laurie was just genius. I picked it up after having seen a brief trailer at the beginning of some DVD, and it was on a 2 for £10 in HMV, and I wasn't expecting a classic but WOWWWWWW. When you watch it again, it is so obvious where each plot strand is going to go, especially the werewolf one, and I had to slap myself for not getting it first time round lol.

Eden Lake is quite good, goes with the kind of theme of Ils/Them, a personal favourite of mine. I know teens like those shown in Eden Lake, all too well, and the representation of them, especially the main character, is uncanny. On this note, I love Jack O'Connell and he's going to be an absolute star, though probably quite typecast.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've never heard of Eden Lake before. I'm going to have to check it out. I loved Ils! One of my favorites.

Oh, and if you happen to see Paranormal Activity 2 let me know what you think. I loved the first, but was pretty disappointed in this one unfortunately.

Has anyone here seen The Descent 2? I just saw it's up on netflix instant. I was wondering if it was worth a watch.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The next horror films on my to-watch list are The Descent and Trick R Treat.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watching Scream 2 tomorrow.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by AmanDUH View Post
    Both are excellent films!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Watching Scream 2 tomorrow.
    I can't wait to hear what you think. Just don't expect too much.

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

One great film that is labeled horror; however, isn't really scary is Snow White: A Tale of Terror.

It's an awesome adult take on Snow White. They make changes, like the 7 dwarfs are really 7 outcasts and criminals. It's super good.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

The Descent scared the shit out of me. Granted, I freaking hate caves, but still, I made my friend sleep in my bed with me after we watched it. So creepy.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

This isn't necessarily a horror film, but has anyone ever gone to see the Warrens speak? I did once with a bunch of friends, and it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It might all be bullshit, but I still have nightmares about some of the stuff they told us.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The Descent was pretty creepy. Let me know when you watch it though, so I can post something that I won't post until you see it.

On another note: I've always been slightly obsessed with the original Halloween movie. It's one movie that, no matter how many times I see it, it still creeps me out and makes me anxious the whole time I'm watching it. Yet, I can never NOT watch it when it's on. I slightly enjoyed the second one and was very disappointed by all the others that followed. So...my question is: to those that have seen the Rob Zombie remake, would you recommend it or not? (I don't have a whole lot of free time, so i don't want to waste 2 hours on crap.)

And I don't know if I consider this "horror" or not, but one movie that always creeped me the hell out was "When A Stranger Calls Back". The scariest part, for me at least, was when he had painted himself to blend in whith the wall. Ugh! [shudders]

I'd definitely recommend Zombie's Halloween. I love that movie. He takes the original film, but expands on it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts when you see it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Being a fellow fan of the original like Fur-nan-doh, you've definitely grabbed my interest in the remake, Heather. Gonna have to borrow it off a mate of mine eventually!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My bad, but I thought both of Rob Zombie's Halloween films were horrible.

Really?! I wasn't a huge fan of the second one, but I loved the first. I liked how he expanded on the character of Michael Meyers. It made him even scarier to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jane Hudson View Post
    I really liked it! I'm so glad that they had alot of the original cast back as opposed to many of the cheap sequels out there that just repeat the same concept with new "victims" each time (whoever mentions Saw is going to die. ).

While I liked Scream better, I thought 2 was a really good one too.

And Gale Weathers is
    Spoiler:
    awesome.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jane Hudson View Post
    I really liked it! I'm so glad that they had alot of the original cast back as opposed to many of the cheap sequels out there that just repeat the same concept with new "victims" each time (whoever mentions Saw is going to die. ).

While I liked Scream better, I thought 2 was a really good one too.

And Gale Weathers is
    Spoiler:
    awesome.

Any plans to watch the third now? I'd recommend it just to see it, that way you'll be set for the new one, but I warn you it's not that great.

Country
    Country Flag

Of course I'm going to watch the third! It's becoming my Friday thing, so I'll hopefully watch it next Friday. You said that 2 wasn't great, but I liked it. I don't know if I can trust you anymore! But you were right on with Them, so I forgive you.

And at the beginning of 2,
    Spoiler:
    I'm thinking, they're not going to kill her off (the black girl, I forget her name). She's going to be a main character! But just like in Scream with Drew Barrymore, I was so wrong.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Of course I'm going to watch the third! It's becoming my Friday thing, so I'll hopefully watch it next Friday. You said that 2 wasn't great, but I liked it. I don't know if I can trust you anymore! But you were right on with Them, so I forgive you.

And at the beginning of 2,
    Spoiler:
    I'm thinking, they're not going to kill her off (the black girl, I forget her name). She's going to be a main character! But just like in Scream with Drew Barrymore, I was so wrong.
    The second one is good, but it's just that I love the first one so much that it kinda pales in comparison.

Spoiler:
    I remember sitting in the theater watching the first one, and that opening seen shocked me. Even after she's been stabbed, and is being dragged away, I'm saying to myself, nope it's Drew Barrymore, she'll somehow make it, how could they possibly kill her off?! Completely caught me off guard.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I think that if it didnt have anyone from the first, there's no way I would've liked it.

And regarding the spoilered section, I totally agree! 100% caught off guard.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast