Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched The Exorcist when I was a kid, I didn't think it was all that scary. It had it's moments, for sure.

I can definitely see this, in the 70's, when belief in God was especiall customary, I can see it being received much differently.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i wasn't allowed to watch when i was a kid. waited till i was older and watched it when i was about 16. of course that was in the late 80's. even then i knew it was not like the films they had out at the time and keeping that in mind it did creep me out a little.

i saw rosemary's baby a few years later and wondered what all the horror of that movie was about. I know the premise of the story but wondered what was scary about the movie.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Jean have you seen Session 9 yet? If not you should check it out when you get a chance. I know you'd enjoy it.

And I watched The Baby's Room/To Let. I really enjoyed both, but especially The Baby's Room. That one creeped me out!
    I have seen To Let and it is really good. I saw it on TV so didnt know about The Baby's Room. Sounds good.

I loved Session 9 - think I heard about on this thread. What I am wondering is:

Spoiler:
    I kind of thought the guy who owned the company had gone mad and the people he was supposed to be working with were facets of his personaility. Kind of mirroring the tape they find. Then, that doesn't quite work.

I was wondering what other people thought about the ending.

Spoiler:
    I thought the bit where the guy goes back to the asylum, at night, is seriously spooky.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post
    I don't think I will go. I prefer supernatural type horror films with possessions and things like that. If anyone has any recomendations that would be cool. I watched Trick r Treat and The Children on the back of some recs and really enjoyed both.
    Have you ever seen The Others, Ils, Dark Water (original Japanese one), Frailty, Eskalofrio? I'd highly recommend all of those. They're not all supernatural, but I think you'd really enjoy them based on the others you mentioned liking.
    The Others and Ils are some of my favs. I saw the remakie of Dark Water and it was lame but I should seek out the original. i really enjoyedFrailty too.

I have not heard about Eskalofrio - it sounds really good, I am adding to my Lovefilm list now. Thanks!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Others and Ils are some of my favs. I saw the remakie of Dark Water and it was lame but I should seek out the original. i really enjoyedFrailty too.
    I can't even begin to stress how different the two are. I hated the remake. The whole essence of the film was lost in the American version.

I loved Session 9 - think I heard about on this thread. What I am wondering is:

Spoiler:
    I kind of thought the guy who owned the company had gone mad and the people he was supposed to be working with were facets of his personaility. Kind of mirroring the tape they find. Then, that doesn't quite work.

I was wondering what other people thought about the ending.
    My take was that
    Spoiler:
    Gordon had just snapped and completely lost his mind. I think the tape thing with Mary was just used as a tool to parallel everything that was going on with him. And remember the last quote with Simon... "Where do you live Simon" "I live in the weak and wounded". That about sums up Gordon right there. He was having trouble with his family, the business was going under, etc. He was in a tough spot and that little piece of him just broke out to the surface. I don't think it was Simon inhabiting him (which was one of my first thoughts, that a demon had possessed him once he entered the hospital), but looking back at it I think it was just the stress of everything that was going on his life, that it just became too much and some little thing sparked it causing him to go insane.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Session 9 - David Caruso ruined it for me.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ... in the 70's, when belief in God was especiall customary ...
    What does this mean? The 1970s ...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jean have you seen Session 9 yet? If not you should check it out when you get a chance. I know you'd enjoy it.

And I watched The Baby's Room/To Let. I really enjoyed both, but especially The Baby's Room. That one creeped me out!
    Session 9 is not bad, indeed.

Glad you liked The Baby's Room.

Sickrose: Eskalofrio is really really good

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the Last Exoricism last night. I liked it, the mockumentary bit was a good idea. I thought it was quite scary but those kind of films scare the piss outta me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I watched the Last Exoricism last night. I liked it, the mockumentary bit was a good idea. I thought it was quite scary but those kind of films scare the piss outta me.
    I agree. I love those types of films. To me they add a bit of realism to it, which makes it even scarier.

But what did you think about that ending! That's the only thing I didn't care for. It just seemed so out of place from the rest of the film.

Country
    Country Flag

The Last Exorcism Spoiler

Spoiler:
    I was well confused. I thought it would lead up to a was she/wasn't she possessed, but the satanic ritual was unexpected! I quite liked it, it shifted the focus of the whole film and added another dimension to the plot. I still dont know what to think, other than she was clearly disturbed and the rest of the town were some kind of cult. Did you think that it was supposed a test of the preacher's faith? I am not sure about that one.

The Last Exorcism Spoiler

Spoiler:
    I was well confused. I thought it would lead up to a was she/wasn't she possessed, but the satanic ritual was unexpected! I quite liked it, it shifted the focus of the whole film and added another dimension to the plot. I still dont know what to think, other than she was clearly disturbed and the rest of the town were some kind of cult. Did you think that it was supposed a test of the preacher's faith? I am not sure about that one.
    Honestly I'm still not sure what to think of the ending.
    Spoiler:
    I was expecting a straight up exorcism film, and then we get this satanic ritual It just caught me off guard. And to have the whole town be in on it! I wasn't expecting that either. So was she even possessed (possibly by whatever rituals they were performing on her)? Or was it just her guilt over everything that had been happening to her?

I just watched Opera the other night. Easily my favorite Argento film yet. I loved everything about it. He has such a beautiful and stylish way of shooting horror films, and yet still despite that it was pretty gory at times. There were a couple of scenes that made me quite uneasy. Jean and Melike if you haven't had a chance to see this one yet, I'd highly recommend it

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

downloading it right now

your recommendation is my command!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    downloading it right now

your recommendation is my command!
    You're gonna love it!
    Have you seen any of his other films?

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen Suspiria and Inferno. Both very good.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just watched Opera the other night. Easily my favorite Argento film yet. I loved everything about it. He has such a beautiful and stylish way of shooting horror films, and yet still despite that it was pretty gory at times. There were a couple of scenes that made me quite uneasy. Jean and Melike if you haven't had a chance to see this one yet, I'd highly recommend it
    See, I've heard this said about a lot of Argento's films, his early work at least, and that makes me both want to really check out his stuff and really stay away at the same time. I'm someone who can put up with gore, but only to an extent. If there's too much, or rather if it's really drawn out and is incredibly painful to watch, then I can be easily repulsed by it and hate it (I'm a wuss like that, it's why I don't enjoy torture films like Hostel, not that I think it's unimaginative but simply because I actually couldn't watch it because it's too difficult for me to watch).

Having said that, I did catch a clip of Inferno one night (I'm pretty sure it was Inferno), where
    Spoiler:
    a man was being slowly eaten alive by rats.
    I just accidentally switched it on and caught it, and whilst i was horrified by it, I couldn't stop watching either, not at first, anyway. It's that kind of violence when it's directed with style that might just make me want to watch it. I'm not an expert on horror films, but Argento's films sound like I might enjoy them. What do you think guys, should I check out his stuff, at least?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

I'd definitely recommend both Opera and Suspiria. Suspiria doesn't really have much in the way of gore (at least from what I remember) so you're good there. And while Opera does, it's not an over the top type of splatter film.

I think I've said this before, and I know it'll probably sound crazy, but the death scenes in his horror films have this very poetic type of feel to them. I don't know how else to describe it, but it's very different from other horror films. The way he shoots his films is just so captivating.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nobody kills like Argento. His murders/deaths are art.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    So true

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    So true
    If I must die let me die in an Argento film.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember seeing a show about horror films and this one scene they had was disturbing and creepy and addicting at the same time. the scene was
    Spoiler:
    a girl having her head pushed into a piece of a large splinter in the eye and they did it really slow and you see the splinter go in her eye.
    was wondering if anyone has seen it and what the name of the movie is.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Me and Brice were actually just talking about this the other day. It's Lucio Fulci's Zombie

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

and it is brilliant.

I rewatched Opera last night.

If you rescue me

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched The Baby's Room the other day after seeing it On Demand and hearing people hear talk about it. I thought it was pretty good! I was suprised I could understand alot of the dialogue.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast