Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I heard the trailer for Paranormal Activity 2 freaked people out and some of them fainted, others ran out of the theatre. I guess it looked that terrible.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, the basic premise is unfortunately all there is to it. In retrospect I agree on it's mediocrity. You would not really be missing much to be missing it.

I don't think I will go. I prefer supernatural type horror films with possessions and things like that. If anyone has any recomendations that would be cool. I watched Trick r Treat and The Children on the back of some recs and really enjoyed both.

I have seen the Orphanage which was mentioned a few posts back. It is a quality film I loved the whole

Spoiler:
    Kid with the sack over his head thing. That was really spooky.

Has anyone seen Devil's Backbone? It sounds like it would be of interest to some of you guys. It is directed by Guillermo del Toro and is of a supernatural type horror. I beleive the story is allegorical to some extent to.

It's good film I would recomend it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I heard the trailer for Paranormal Activity 2 freaked people out and some of them fainted, others ran out of the theatre. I guess it looked that terrible.
    sounds like hype to me... I heard the same about the first part, and I can't think of a better soporific

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post
    Has anyone seen Devil's Backbone? It sounds like it would be of interest to some of you guys. It is directed by Guillermo del Toro and is of a supernatural type horror. I beleive the story is allegorical to some extent to.

It's good film I would recomend it.
    It is one of my favorite films.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The scariest thing I think there is about PA2 is that they are making a sequel at all.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didnt know they were and now have just been looking for details. I liked the first one but it wasn't that scary and I am pretty soft when it comes to watching horror films.

The bits I have read about the trailer asre so hypey; apparantly a theatre chain had to pull it from their theatre and people freaked out in the cinema. I totally bought into the hype of the first and think the whole audience reaction thing was a bit over the top. I suspect it will be the same with this one but Iwill watch it anyway I reckon.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If the entire audience viewing the trailer suicided to avoid seeing it then I might consider giving it a chance.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    If the entire audience viewing the trailer suicided to avoid seeing it then I might consider giving it a chance.
    And what if you heard reports that the trailer was so terrifying, that several people gouged their eyes out, others had massive heart attacks and head attacks at the same time, and most men in the audience also had their balls explode?

That was the reaction to Loda Sh'ite 2, a film that has been praised by Hollywood executives for its high accuracy in portraying the art of voodoo, yet has been heavily criticised both by film critics for its dumb plot and over the top violence as well as genuine voodoo practitioners and priests as not being truly representative of either Louisiana Voodoo or Hoodoo, with one professional researcher of voodoo being quoted as asking, "What the f*** is this sh**?"

That's my BS report of the day, as inspired by Fox News.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have to watch a movie that got reactions like that.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Dodge, this is tops

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Something totally different: Apparently Guillermo del Toro will begin filming At the Mountains of Madness next year, (for a 2012 release?).
    That's the one I can't wait for. Judging from his past work, it should be awesome. And the fact that James Cameron is involved, is a big plus for me.

sk

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, I think when reading reports of trailers where people fainted due to how "realistic" it was, it's hard not to be cynical. Now I'll be honest, I quite enjoyed Paranormal Activity, but are any of the best horror stories realistic in the slightest? Sure, from a good horror story we want believeable characters and we want really good scares along with heaps of suspense too, but why are so many film studios interested in releasing horror that aims to be realistic when (a) as horror fans, it's not what we're interested in, and (b) we don't believe it's realistic for a single moment?

So upon hearing the hype of the trailers for PA2, I couldn't resist being just a little satirical about it! And fortunately for us, there's plenty of dumb, badly researched news reports to take the piss out of every single day, so I'm sure I'll be posting another bit of BS news soon!

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Well, I think when reading reports of trailers where people fainted due to how "realistic" it was, it's hard not to be cynical. Now I'll be honest, I quite enjoyed Paranormal Activity, but are any of the best horror stories realistic in the slightest? Sure, from a good horror story we want believeable characters and we want really good scares along with heaps of suspense too, but why are so many film studios interested in releasing horror that aims to be realistic when (a) as horror fans, it's not what we're interested in, and (b) we don't believe it's realistic for a single moment?
    I think you're wrong here. Some of the best horror movies are those that are totally derived in realism. In which the execution and setting is realisitic but the scary thing is not. For instance, look at The Mist. It was totally realistic in an unrealistic scenario.

This isn't saying the monsters or anything are realistic, just the situation itself. I would put The Thing up there as another movie that captured the scenario as realistically as possible.

Paranormal activity tried this but failed. Blair Witch Project was much better executed at least I can laugh a lot during their dialogue exchanges in that one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think you're wrong here. Some of the best horror movies are those that are totally derived in realism. In which the execution and setting is realisitic but the scary thing is not. For instance, look at The Mist. It was totally realistic in an unrealistic scenario.

This isn't saying the monsters or anything are realistic, just the situation itself. I would put The Thing up there as another movie that captured the scenario as realistically as possible.
    That's exactly what I was aiming for but you definitely explained it far better than I did, Mattrick. My favourite stories - not just horror but many others - are stories that find a way of making what should be unbelieveable completely believeable. The Thing, Alien, even some of the best horror novels of Stephen King including IT - all of these are made believeable and realistic, but the monster itself is, dare I say it, usually completely unrealistic.

Of course I want everything else surrounding the monster to be realistic to help make it more believealbe, but the best horror stories are the ones that don't care about how true to life the monster or supernatural killer itself is. My point was that too many films these days aim for the monster/villian/whatever to be realistic as well: with Paranormal Activity, that was supposed to be inspired by all those reports you hear of "genuine" hauntings, or at least look like it did. The Human Centipede marketed itself as "medically realistic". Who fucking cares?!? If the story isn't interesting enough to make that extra bit of realism genuinely worth it, why do these filmmakers bother?

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I don't think I will go. I prefer supernatural type horror films with possessions and things like that. If anyone has any recomendations that would be cool. I watched Trick r Treat and The Children on the back of some recs and really enjoyed both.
    Have you ever seen The Others, Ils, Dark Water (original Japanese one), Frailty, Eskalofrio? I'd highly recommend all of those. They're not all supernatural, but I think you'd really enjoy them based on the others you mentioned liking.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Have you ever seen The Others, Ils, Dark Water (original Japanese one), Frailty, Eskalofrio? I'd highly recommend all of those.
    I can attest to Heather's great recommendations.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Have you ever seen The Others, Ils, Dark Water (original Japanese one), Frailty, Eskalofrio? I'd highly recommend all of those. They're not all supernatural, but I think you'd really enjoy them based on the others you mentioned liking.
    Frailty is an excellent movie. Only seen the remake of Dark Water and the Others was kind of alright.

Always recommend In The Mouth of Madness.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

They said that about The Exorcist, and the movie had them getting ill in the theater, etc...
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Something totally different: Apparently Guillermo del Toro will begin filming At the Mountains of Madness next year, (for a 2012 release?).
    That's the one I can't wait for. Judging from his past work, it should be awesome. And the fact that James Cameron is involved, is a big plus for me.

sk
    OMG! Please, please, please get it right! I have hope...

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    They said that about The Exorcist, and the movie had them getting ill in the theater, etc...
    this i can actually beleive. The film when it was released had a huge impact on my mum. She was actually sick watching it and i was told by my dad that she fainted on leaving the cinema.

for someone was was quite quietly religious this film had a huge impact on her. I still believe it was this film that led her to loose her marbles!

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    this i can actually beleive. The film when it was released had a huge impact on my mum. She was actually sick watching it and i was told by my dad that she fainted on leaving the cinema.

for someone was was quite quietly religious this film had a huge impact on her. I still believe it was this film that led her to loose her marbles!
    Oh candy, I'm so sorry to hear that. *wolfhug*

My father had retired from the police force, but many of his friends were still active and said they had to work the theaters where it was showing in Birmingham, AL. I've seen footage of the crowds and lines, as well as commentary by several credible people that these things did happen at many showings. I was still a kid when it was released, but that made me want to see it even more. I believe that hearing about all of the reactions was why The Exorcist didn't live up to my expectations. I enjoyed it, but I was OVER-prepared.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It exceeded mine. Still does.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

bears' too

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Jean have you seen Session 9 yet? If not you should check it out when you get a chance. I know you'd enjoy it.

And I watched The Baby's Room/To Let. I really enjoyed both, but especially The Baby's Room. That one creeped me out!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

since I trust you completely, I am going to watch it as soon as it [censored]: hopefully, in a couple of hours

ETA: have just read the synopsis. Yes, sounds like I am going to like it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast