Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Horror films

I am an avid lover of the horror genre, and I know there are quite a few others here as well. So I thought we could use a thread devoted to these films where we could discuss our favorites, or recommend some to others.

I just watched The Children the other night. Anyone else seen this? I never knew kids could be so scary.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather, I adore you! it's incredible, I actually logged in now (23:33 Moscow time - it's exactly one minute after your starter post) to start a similar thread!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, LOVE that film! These days, us Brits don't seem to bother making horror movies, but apparently, we can still make 'em good!

I think what worked best about it was the long, slow build up, before unleashing the evilness and just plain nastiness of kids at xmas (hmmm, sounds like a bad family comedy)! A horror that's done less to entertain you and more to scare the living shit out of you. My kind of horror, really! Need to get it on dvd, actually.

What's really ironic is that I'm not much of a horror fan, but I do like films that are good at suspense, that are out to scare you and not just show a load of blood and guts every ten minutes, and are directed well.

Spoiler:
    And the Final Destination movies.

The Children's not my favourite horror film (that would be Alien), but it is one I quite like, and that takes a lot for me to like a good horror film.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite horror/thriller films are oldschool slashers. I don't know why, but the direction and the acting in them just hit me everytime I watch them. Any horror film that's a throwback to the genre works out fine for me, as well. I remember discussing Trick 'r Treat pretty extensively earlier That's still my favorite along with the original and Rob Zombie homage Halloween films.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Monsters. Aliens. Other lifeforms.

But I will watch almost anything horror, from Entrails of a Virgin to John Carpenter's The Thing to The Spiral Staircase to The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye).

Of course I won't necessarily watch it twice.

ETA: Whoops, just figured out you mean the new movie The Children and not the 1964 version or the 2006 movie Wicked Little Things, which also goes by The Children. I haven't seen the new one.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll watch any type of horror. I love them all for different reasons. My favorites always seem to be the slasher films though. The more gore the better
    And I do love the old horror classic films, as well as all those old B-horror and sci-fi films.

Check it out Woofer. It was pretty good. Not the best, but those children (while not the best actors) were pretty damn creepy.

SynysterSaint have you seen Zombie's Halloween 2 yet?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Monsters. Aliens. Other lifeforms.

But I will watch almost anything horror, from Entrails of a Virgin to John Carpenter's The Thing to The Spiral Staircase to The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye).

Of course I won't necessarily watch it twice.

ETA: Whoops, just figured out you mean the new movie The Children and not the 1964 version or the 2006 movie Wicked Little Things, which also goes by The Children. I haven't seen the new one.

Well, I do recommend checking out The Children (2008 ), Woofer. Nothing like the cosiness of a wintry English countryside to really unsettle ya!

OK, just clicked on that imdb link for Entrails of a Virgin, and it sounds like one of the trashiest films ever made! Idk, normally I'd say that's the kind of horror film i'd normally avoid, but if it's trashiness to an extreme...it's like the whole reason I wanted to see Planet Terror: one of the most OTT horror films in a long time, yet deliberately and brilliantly so, making it so bad it was funny. Much better than Death Proof, as far as I'm concerned.

Ugh, need to see The Thing, saw a few clips of it, and it truly looks terrifying! I'm always fascinated by the kind of body horror that films like that can achieve so successfully, where a man slowly, VERY slowly, starts to change into something inhuman. It's why I think District 9 is shocking and in some places genuinely horrifying, and why I also want to watch David Cronenberg's The Fly. Idk, i think i've been drawn to it, to that kind of horror, ever since seeing a man's hand wrapped in green bubble wrap in Dr Who when i was just 8 years old!

Anyone seen an American Werewolf in London? That's another one of my favourite horrors. In some places funny, but the best moment is seeing THAT transformation scene. One of the most painful to watch werewolf transformations I've ever watched, and one that actually gave me nightmares! Not often I can say that about horror films!

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I can't say I have, unfortunately. I've still only seen the first one. I'll download it tonight or tomorrow and then tell you how I liked it (I'll actually do it this time- I forgot you asked me to until now, sorry ).
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I can't say I have, unfortunately. I've still only seen the first one. I'll download it tonight or tomorrow and then tell you how I liked it (I'll actually do it this time- I forgot you asked me to until now, sorry ).
    It's ok I hope you enjoy it. It definitely had some great moments in it. But I'd like to discuss it with you after you watch it.

And Woofer, The Crawling Eye is great! It's been forever since I've seen that one. Have you ever seen Carnival of Souls? That's one of my favorites.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Oh yes, Entrails is terrible and OTT. There is one scene involving a person jumping from a building and they use - I am not kidding - a shot of a watermelon hitting the ground and exploding. Absolutely no attempt to disguise it or anything. There's a sequel, too, Entrails of a Beautiful Woman. I get them confused, but one has a monster that can change sex to assault people. And I will say no more on that.

I love American Werewolf in London. It still owns for the definitive shapeshifting scene IMO. I totally used that description as inspiration for my werewolves on MUDs.

Definitely check out The Thing as it is also explores the themes of isolation and trust and is one of the few all male casts that I can recall. The Fly is also one to check out. Cronenberg's got a style all his own, and he uses a much more believable scientific premise than the original. I also recommend Videodrome and Night Breed.

ETA: Yes, I have seen Carnival of Souls - that movie is like a B&W bad trip (for the character, I mean).

ETAA: I haven't seen Zombie's Halloween 2, but I enjoy his other movies as tributes to old school slasher.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I like the first three Body Snatchers movies, Psycho, the first Alien movie, the Kubrick version of The Shining, and The Blair Witch Project.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Woofer, if you love the transformation in AAWIL, I suggest you track down Brit series Being Human. The premise - where a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost all share a flat - sounds mega dumb, but it's brilliant because the vampires are genuine addicts, there's a decent amount of blood and gore for a tv show, AND the werewolf transformation is as good as AAWIL i.e. long, slow, and PAINFUL. Track it down before Scyfy fuck it up with a bad remake!

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Woofer, if you love the transformation in AAWIL, I suggest you track down Brit series Being Human. The premise - where a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost all share a flat - sounds mega dumb, but it's brilliant because the vampires are genuine addicts, there's a decent amount of blood and gore for a tv show, AND the werewolf transformation is as good as AAWIL i.e. long, slow, and PAINFUL. Track it down before Scyfy fuck it up with a bad remake!
    I've been wanting to see this. I missed it when BBC America was showing it. But I think the second series is starting here this summer so I'm hoping they re-air the first one prior to the start or at least release the dvds.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's certainly worth a look, Heather19: the 2nd best British monster show to watch out for on BBCAmerica!

My current theme is currently giving small clues as to what I consider the no 1 monster show to check out, of course!

- Melike

My Mood
    Worried

Being Human? I will definitely see about getting my paws on that. Maybe some of my YT buddies have access.

BTW, my main YouTube account, where I share house a buttload of playlists for horror on YouTube is TheCuteWoofer. I'm migrating my MST3K to another account eventually because they've made it too hard to organize a lot of lists now.

Don't laugh at me. I have all the Dr. Who specials with David Tenant linked (need to make sure they're updated), but I've only watched the first two. This is because YT doesn't autoadvance on full screen any longer. And that makes wolves very unhappy.

Still, I keep up my lists for people to try before they buy horror. I remember record stores where you could do that. My site urges subscribers to buy the movies if they like them. May I also recommend GoblinXXX (a good friend to the wolf) who stays way on top of his YT channels?
    • Midnight Movie Massacre - all horror, all the time.
    • Load Pan Bay - This channel is dedicated to playlists of full episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000, the best show to ever grace the airwaves.
    • Rocket Number 9 - This channel is dedicated to playlists of full episodes of TV shows and pilots- Sci Fi, Horror, Cult and Educational.

ETA: Being Human is not available on Netflix, but I saved it for later. Putting out feelers.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my favorite horrors are:

any quiet creeping family horror including children of any kind: changelings, ghosts, ghost-seers, dangerously insane, just "weird", dead etc

anything taking place in a psychiatric asylum

anything related to psychopathology, except the cases when the authors try to draw an additional "moral", and the psychopath is the moralist (Saw; The Silence of the Lamb, etc): these are usually shit

The best ones I've seen so far have been El Orfanato and The Others.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

I love horror movies. Werewolf flicks are probably my favorite, but I like monsters, ghosts and demons, too. Not into movies like the scream series, or the grudge, high budget, too much cgi movies with only beautiful people, shit like that. I like a lot of the cheesy ones, though, troma movies are fun as hell to watch while (well, any movie is hehe).

I can't wait to see the nightmare on elm st remake coming out next month. I think it'll be good, Rorschach will make a good Freddy.

I think my love for horror movies spawned from being traumatized by the movie Child's Play when I watched it at a friend's house at age 6 or 7. I had to throw my MyBuddy doll away cause it reminded me of chucky. Ever since then I guess my subconscious just craves scary.

The scariest horror movie I've seen is still the original exorcist. The sounds (and vomit) that come out of little Regan's mouth, jeezum crow!!

My Mood
    Worried

I would've said werewolves, but they almost always disappoint. So I settle for monsters!

RAWR!

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

yeah a lot of em arent very good, but the good ones are real good, both the american werewolf movies and Wolf with good old jack nicholson to name a couple, but the werewolves somehow never look exactly how I want them to. I don't like them to be too wolfish, I want to see the human and the beast. I havent seen the new wolfman yet. Is that good?

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

anyone seen creep?

My Mood
    Worried

I haven't seen it! I have heard mixed reviews, though.

For werewolves, I like them to be able to change by degrees (depending on how much control they have over it).

Ah! For a great example of exactly how I think werewolves should be and act and be able to change, just read Robert R. McCammon's The Wolf's Hour. In fact, read it anyway - great book!

Back to werewolves on screen, I am almost always disappointed. What the hell, for example, was with the werewolf in Harry Potter? Sirius as a dog looked more werewolfish than Lupin as a werewolf did - at least according to J.K. Rowling's description of werewolves and what distinguishes them from regular wolves.

I have seen Creep. Isn't that the one where
    Creep

Quote Originally Posted by thebumblerinblack View Post
    I havent seen the new wolfman yet. Is that good?
    It was ok, but it had the potential to be so much better. Since you like werewolf films I'd say to check it out, just don't go in with really high expectations.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Worried

Trilogy of Terror!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trilogy-Terror-Fetish-Warrior-Replica/dp/B0006JG02M"]Zuni warrior fetish[/ame] - get one now!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Ugh, need to see The Thing, saw a few clips of it, and it truly looks terrifying! I'm always fascinated by the kind of body horror that films like that can achieve so successfully, where a man slowly, VERY slowly, starts to change into something inhuman. It's why I think District 9 is shocking and in some places genuinely horrifying, and why I also want to watch David Cronenberg's The Fly. Idk, i think i've been drawn to it, to that kind of horror, ever since seeing a man's hand wrapped in green bubble wrap in Dr Who when i was just 8 years old!
    You most definitely need to check out The Thing. Apart from the perennial body horror that's rampant throughout, the films greatest strength is the exploration of themes like isolation and the not knowing of who to confide / trust in, and that lingering sense of paranoia that's ever present throughout the film. It is my favorite horror film.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast