Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have just watched Nailbiter - surprisingly good. I mean, there is no story, and the development is absolutely idiotic, and the premise is as old as the genre itself, and so on. But it was actually directed, filmed, and edited - all of those at times really neat.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the Evil Dead remake and I have to say it was pretty damn good. It was wonderfully directed, the score added to the creepy atmosphere the movie had going for it, and it did not rely solely on bloody jump scares. Also, very if any CGI. It even made me uncomfortable in some places and genuinely freaked me out a little bit. And if a horror movie can do that, it's an accomplishment. It is one of those rare horror remakes that is actually good and not a complete and utter waste of time, energy, and doesn't make you want to bash yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly for watching it. I definitely recommend it for any fan of the original or a fan of horror films in general. Just do yourselves a favor. Sit through the credits. It's worth it.
    If you love me then love me..

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
    Just finished the Evil Dead remake and I have to say it was pretty damn good. It was wonderfully directed, the score added to the creepy atmosphere the movie had going for it, and it did not rely solely on bloody jump scares. Also, very if any CGI. It even made me uncomfortable in some places and genuinely freaked me out a little bit. And if a horror movie can do that, it's an accomplishment. It is one of those rare horror remakes that is actually good and not a complete and utter waste of time, energy, and doesn't make you want to bash yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly for watching it. I definitely recommend it for any fan of the original or a fan of horror films in general. Just do yourselves a favor. Sit through the credits. It's worth it.
    Hmmm, I was waiting for HBO to have it, but now maybe I'll put it on my "To watch" list. Loved the originals!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the last horror I've seen: The Haunging at Silver Falls. Have come here to complain. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and was quite ready to rate it 4- or maybe even just 4; and by the idiotic ending they ruined the whole thing. Assholes.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

recently completed my TCM dvd collection with the seventh incarnation and i liked it, but there's one thing that bugs me about TC

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been putting horror reviews up in the rate the last movie thread but I'd check out in here and get some good horror recommendations at the same time. What I've watched recently:

Cube - A fantastic low budget horror movie that is ingenious in what it can accomplish, when I was a kid I loved the movie and loved it even more a decade removed from my last viewing.

Beneath - A great satire on teenage horror flicks that makes its own statements about the vapidity, self-obsession and quasi-friendships of todays youths....WITH A GIANT MANEATING CATFISH

Quarantine 2: Terminal - Originally though this movie looked awful but I read a review that made me seek it out, loving both [REC] series and Quarantine. If you liked the first Quarantine, this movie offers more gore, more room to move and free from the constraints of a remake, it spreads its wings and makes Quarantine (hopefully) a fun little horror series in its own right.

Slither: What happens when you take an Alien Movie, a Zombie Film, a Comedy and a Romance and roll it all into a ball? You get Slither, which, for effectively combining such different genres into an effective and entertaining film full of gore, gross-out humour, yokels, and laughs, deserving of a watch by any horror fan; non-horror fans my be turned off by the overall grossness of the film, which horror fans will find VERY endearing. Also it has Michael Rooker, which just makes anything better.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
    I just watched it too. I really liked it as well. The acting was just incredible, as was the effects, all of the props, the level of detail--they even had the little lamp and the mounted deer head!

The only thing that I would have loved is just one little comedic moment, as a subtle nod to the comedy of the original films.

The absolute best thing of the film is the genius of having the girl going through detox at the cabin. They didn't believe what she told them, assuming she was experiencing withdrawal. That's just perfect plot work.

On its own feet, it's probably one of the best made horror films of all time.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

I also recently saw House Of The Devil--very highly recommended.

Country
    Country Flag

have just seen one of the most preposterous horror films ever, namely, Another by Takeshi Furusawa. I didn't expect anything as stupid (and boring) of a Japanese horror.

Have also watched two wonderful (and quite disturbing) horrors: Home Movie and The Daisy Chain.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Triangle: Simply awesome. Terrific idea, brilliant execution and lots of room for interpretation. To give away any of this movie would be a shame, just take my word for it, it's great

Country
    Country Flag

I remember liking Triangle. I think I'll re-watch it soon.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watched The Conjuring last night. Really enjoyed it. Also they showed the trailer for Insidious 2, can't wait to see that!

Jean I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heather, I'm going to see it tonight. I've really been looking forward to it. It's the first horror film I've actually been excited enough about to see in theaters.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

bears want to watch it too, but it isn't available yet

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Watched The Conjuring last night. Really enjoyed it. Also they showed the trailer for Insidious 2, can't wait to see that!

Jean I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.
    Yes!!! I was "Horrorably" surprised at how good "The Conjuring" was!!! Reminded me of "The Exorcist" a bit. Top shelf horror IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

From what I've read, The Conjuring was simply awful. The review on Eberts site was not even close to flattering. Due to people involved I wS excited but that review was about 8 paragraphs of ouch.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    From what I've read, The Conjuring was simply awful. The review on Eberts site was not even close to flattering. Due to people involved I wS excited but that review was about 8 paragraphs of ouch.
    I've learned you can't always trust the reviewers. I saw it in the theater and was pleasantly surprised. Best Horror film I've seen in awhile. Better than the "Evil Dead" remake (which was silly and pointless)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had people criticize it for the same issues

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had people criticize it for the same issues
    OK Don't see it!! No skin off my nose. Your loss IMHO, but whatever. To each his own.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy Dead Man is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead

I was very pleased with the conjuring. It was done very well. It was a throwback film though was closer to The Exorcist. I thought it was one of the best horror films I have seen in a while but I am also more of a mood type fan than a blood and guts person.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Cube - A fantastic low budget horror movie that is ingenious in what it can accomplish, when I was a kid I loved the movie and loved it even more a decade removed from my last viewing.

Slither: What happens when you take an Alien Movie, a Zombie Film, a Comedy and a Romance and roll it all into a ball? You get Slither, which, for effectively combining such different genres into an effective and entertaining film full of gore, gross-out humour, yokels, and laughs, deserving of a watch by any horror fan; non-horror fans my be turned off by the overall grossness of the film, which horror fans will find VERY endearing. Also it has Michael Rooker, which just makes anything better.
    2 of my favorites
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Sinister: I wish I had watched this alone instead of with my girlfriend. This movie was pretty freaking creepy and had I been alone, I would have been REALLY creeped out.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw The Conjuring last night and liked it, but I have to say that I was expecting something...more (original?). It was scary but nowhere near how a lot of people are making it out to be, in my opinion. More jump scares than anything else. Also, it seemed like they were trying to fit too many of the Warrens' cases/experiences into one movie and there were a couple plotlines that never seemed to go anywhere. For example:
    Spoiler:
    Lorraine's vision of her daughter in the lake/fearing for her safety, what did Lorraine see that messed her up so badly during a past exorcism?, what was the deal with Annabelle (I know they gave the backstory, but they referenced it so many times that I kept thinking it was going to play a bigger role, especially when the opening 10 minutes revolved around her).

The atmosphere was fantastic throughout the whole thing though, and the exorcism scene puts The Exorcist to shame.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen Wan's Dead Silence? My friend said good things.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've seen it. Meh. Wasn't a particularly scary or interesting flick for me, tbh. I can't even remember much of it, which says it all, really.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast