0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

3 2.88%
  • Never Read

15 14.42%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #4: Pet Sematary (1983)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #4: Pet Sematary (1983)

Pet Sematary, 1983

Please vote for Pet Sematary using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears loved it, even though they were really scared

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first King book. Maybe a nostalgic choice, but I feel, for me, it's King's best work.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

This was also my first King book, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Two votes for "Average"? Bring me their heads!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Make that three.

I vacillated between 3 and 4, but really, it was good, not great.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Not great? Not great?!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just remember she's a Jane Austen fan so her opinions may be tainted on some matters.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam vacant lot is on a distinguished road vacant lot's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hit too close to home, but it was good.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. One of my absolute favs. Also my first (I was about 9 or 10). Only book that I ever finished and IMMEDIATELY flipped back to the beginning and reread.
    Sloth Love Chunk

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agree with Dags I must. It was good, but not great. I'll give it a 4, but I've never wanted to reread this one.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I vacillated between 3 and 4, but really, it was good, not great.
    Well, nice use of an SAT word there

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I'm going to reserve my vote until I really comes to terms on how I feel about this book. From a plotting standpoint it is a masterpiece. It grips you by the balls and does not let go. It's horrifying. And like I've said in other comments, King is a master in getting into a character's head. We see the father coming closer and closer to this horrible decision, we almost want to scream into the pages "NO! STOP!" The father on one level even wants to stop. But he can't. He's driven to take this terrible action, and we are with him every step of the way. And we understand why this is so. And that's why King is such a good writer.

So, where's the conflict? I don't think l'll ever want to read this again. After it was over I just felt BAD. Like I needed to curl up in the shower and let the water cleanse me from what I had just read.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

This ranks as a top 5 King book, imo
    Geoff

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Pet Sematary is somewhat unique within the SK works, as it is the only true literary tragedy that I can think of in King's bibliography. I'm not sure what Louis's fatal flaw would be defined as, but I'm sure its there and that it lead to his demise, making it a definitive tragedy.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Scariest supernatural horror book I've ever read by far, and I've read all of King's other than Duma Key. My favorite scary book is It, but it's not half as scary as this beast. So grim and hopeless! I wish there were more pitch black novels like this. Five stars easy.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I think Pet Sematary is somewhat unique within the SK works, as it is the only true literary tragedy that I can think of in King's bibliography. I'm not sure what Louis's fatal flaw would be defined as, but I'm sure its there and that it lead to his demise, making it a definitive tragedy.
    Confusing the line between love for an individual and love for that individual's place in one's own life?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Was a great read i gave it a 5 ... actually thinking about this i might read it agin after ive finished the book im on!

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved it personally. Very interesting and creepy.

What shocked me was that 3 people said they didn't like it

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by High_Desert_Gunslinger View Post
    Exile them to Ludlow!

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Desert_Gunslinger View Post
    Exile them to Ludlow!
    and make them read old physics textbooks everyday (I couldn't think of a worse punishment )

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Confusing the line between love for an individual and love for that individual's place in one's own life?
    That's very eloquently put. I was thinking simply "selfishness", but I think you might have nailed down.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I do think that such confusion is a common problem in life, and I don't want to scoff for even a second at real love for real others, but I think that there's even more subtleties to this book.
    Ever seen the movie Deadly Friend (1986, Wes Craven) ? If so, then I ask you; can we classify that alongside the Greek tragedies? I doubt it. Yet, unlike the novel, I don't find Stephen King's Pet Sematary (1989, Mary Lambert) to be substantially better than Craven's ham-handed treatment of Brice's theme.

Anyroa, my rating of Stephen King's Pet Sematary, the novel: 5

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I read through the night and finished this one the first time I picked it up. Even though you know exactly what's going to happen, it still manages to maintain the tension and kick it up a notch periodically.

Louis...
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seeing as this was the first King book I ever read, and I was only 8 when I read it, I feel I should clarify a little bit.

I voted that I love it. I loved it when I was 8, and I've loved it every time I've read it since. It never loses love. <3 That book and I are like:
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast