• 2: Only so-so

1 0.70%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never Read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #3: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #3: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, 1982

Please vote for The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

You may base your vote on the 2003 revised version as well as the 1982 original. Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I give this one an Average.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

It was good. Good enough to get me to be interested in reading the next six. I mean, that deserves at least a 4 imo.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't really like it, but I think it is good; then, in the light of further developments it does make some more sense. A 4.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I gave it a 4. I found it pretty good and very surreal, and certainly unlike any book I've ever read, but it only got me interested in the other Dark Tower books. Let's face it, it's only with volume 2 that it really begins to kick off!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Um, 5? I loved The Gunslinger. But, I'll agree that the story really gets moving in book II.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
    But, I'll agree that the story really gets moving in book II.
    Which is why I placed a notice in the poll advising to judge the book solely on its own merits.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, I spose i could say "I loved it!", but even judging it on its own merits, I wouldn't have given it a 5. That I usually reserve for the best of the best stuff. A fantastic read, but not perfect, and a little hard going, sometimes.

- Melike

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had to give this one a 3. It was one of the very few SK books that I couldn't originally get through. I must've started it 4 or 5 times and couldn't make it anywhere near half way. I continued to buy the subsequent books as they came out, but it wasn't until I got DT VII that I finally pushed my way through it. Once I made it past the point I'd quit all those times, I did enjoy it. And it was the beginning of a wonderful read!

And yes - I did a marathon read of I - VII over the span of just over a week!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
    But, I'll agree that the story really gets moving in book II.
    Which is why I placed a notice in the poll advising to judge the book solely on its own merits.
    Yeah, I saw that after I had posted. I was agreeing with the two posts above me. I still give it a 5. I loved the book.
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I gave it a 4. I found it pretty good and very surreal, and certainly unlike any book I've ever read, but it only got me interested in the other Dark Tower books. Let's face it, it's only with volume 2 that it really begins to kick off!
    That's about it for me, except that puts it in my "3" category.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it a bunch. It really had me on edge wanting more, so for me it gets a 4.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

as somebody who didn't start reading the series until the revised version was out, What's the added material in the new book? I voted loved it. I loved every book in the series.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    It was good. Good enough to get me to be interested in reading the next six. I mean, that deserves at least a 4 imo.
    This, exactly.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    as somebody who didn't start reading the series until the revised version was out, What's the added material in the new book? I voted loved it. I loved every book in the series.
    I have always wondered the same thing.

But anyway I gave it a 5. I was hooked with the first one

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be so very strange to see someone vote never read. I mean it could happen, but still...

Imo, the differences between the two versions are substantial. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't read the original do so.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i gave it a 5, on first read it was enough to get hooked and looking for the other books in the series, and unlike some of the others in the series i have never got bored re-reading this one

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    It would be so very strange to see someone vote never read. I mean it could happen, but still...

Imo, the differences between the two versions are substantial. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't read the original do so.
    That would be weird considering where we are and stuff.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I know, right?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Although not entirely strange. Some people might join just because they're Stephen King fans and want to know what the Dark Tower is like, or just to talk about Stephen King books in general.

And we do have the best online community in the world! (Certainly one of the nicest, as far as this cat's concerned (i really need to stop saying that!)) Hell, i come on here less for discussing Dark Tower (although I always feel a need to discuss when reading) and more for the random discussion! Our combined awesomeness is bound to attract more awesomeness, whether they've read Dark Tower or not!

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I only readed the original version... And i´m giving it a 4. To me, it was kind of slow, but interesting enough to read the next book (and the other 5 to!)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    That's about it for me, except that puts it in my "3" category.
    "Pretty good and very surreal, and certainly unlike any book I've ever read" doesn't put it above average?
    As a kid, I absolutely loved it. However, this--
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    You may base your vote on the 2003 revised version as well as the 1982 original.
    -- brought my vote down to a 4.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I'd have preferred two separate polls for the original and revised. They are vastly different, imo

If you rescue me

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hm. What I'd favor, if it's not too abstract a concept, would be a poll for the existing The Dark Tower series as a single work, considered separately from the individual volumes.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

As in TDT counting as one book?

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast