• 2: Only so-so

0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never Read

15 15.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #3: Different Seasons (1982)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #3: Different Seasons (1982)

Different Seasons, 1982

Please vote for Different Seasons using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    oh, absolutely

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another 5. Apt Pupil was amazing up until the ending, which was a bit weak. The Body--a great character study and coming-of-age story. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is one of the best things King has ever written. Although The Breathing Method gets lost in here somewhat (the only story not to have a movie made of it), it contains some great imagry (the old mysterious room).

"It is the tale, not he who tells it."

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    ...it contains some great imagry (the old mysterious room).
    Not to mention the highly moving central image of the story.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Solid 5. Very few weak spots at all.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm absolutely stunned by the power and scope of this book. It gets a solid 5.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I put it a 4, only because of The Breathing Method

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Four. Great book, just not in my top 10.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Breathing Method read by Frank Muller is one of the best things to exsist in the King world.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. That was easy.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Different Seasons has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.512500000 or 90.25%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, Different Seasons placed 1st (winner) with a FAS of 4.475000000, so it gained 0.037500000 (+0.84%) this time.

Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I'm a tad miffed this book was bumped from its winner's position by DT1. The Gunslinger is a good book, maybe a very good book, but Different Seasons is a Top 10 King book for me, a masterpiece.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Honestly, I'm a tad miffed this book was bumped from its winner's position by DT1. The Gunslinger is a good book, maybe a very good book, but Different Seasons is a Top 10 King book for me, a masterpiece.
    bears concur

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if there were just a vote between DT 1 and Different Seasons, which book would win. My guess is that if you took the votes from the 50 most active members on this site who had read both books, Different Seasons would win.

If so (and granted, that's a big "if") that leads me to suspect the votes for DT 1 were influenced somewhat by the reader's overall impression of the series. Like, "Yeah this was the book that started it all, and the series is great, so the book is great too!"

Myself, I liked DT 1, sure. But it's not even the best book in the DT series and in my opinion it shouldn't outpoll Different Seasons.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I wonder if there were just a vote between DT 1 and Different Seasons, which book would win. My guess is that if you took the votes from the 50 most active members on this site who had read both books, Different Seasons would win.

If so (and granted, that's a big "if") that leads me to suspect the votes for DT 1 were influenced somewhat by the reader's overall impression of the series. Like, "Yeah this was the book that started it all, and the series is great, so the book is great too!"

Myself, I liked DT 1, sure. But it's not even the best book in the DT series and in my opinion it shouldn't outpoll Different Seasons.
    Quoted for truth!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The two just are not evenly matched against one another. One has four novels (novellas if you must), most of which are among the best written and two of which are the best film adaptations in King's career. The other is a slender preamble to a mega-novel, and was written by someone much less disciplined than the one who wrote the four novellas. I rank them both at five stars, but I have to lean toward the Gunslinger as being more important and vital to the King ouvre.

Country
    Country Flag

To add some fuel to the debate (as a stats-man I find healthy debate of the results great), keep in mind that many more people voted for DT1 (142) than DF (95). Also, DT1 improved on its 2009 FAS by 8.84%, which is a lot, while DF only gained 0.84%.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, don't blame me. It's true that not many were really praising The Gunslinger like I did, but this is the one that I gave a 5 to, myself.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 03-16-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Clarified phrasing.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Different Seasons is by faaaarrr the more enjoyable read.......for me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

beyond compare

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

I gave it a 4, because while I adore Shawshank Redemption and The Body, I didn't care as much for Apt Pupil and Breathing Method. So for me, 4 is a fair rating.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Underwood View Post
    I gave it a 4, because while I adore Shawshank Redemption and The Body, I didn't care as much for Apt Pupil and Breathing Method. So for me, 4 is a fair rating.
    Breathing Method would extract only 3 from bears, and Apt Pupil 4 plus; but, since the other two get straight 10s, I think the average of 5 is more or less fair.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    beyond compare
    Well, I wouldn't say that. Now, let's not lay it on too thick.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    ...more enjoyable read...for me.
    Fair enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast