• 2: Only so-so

6 6.59%
  • 1: I didn't like it

4 4.40%
  • Never Read

26 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #3: Roadwork (1981)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #3: Roadwork (1981)

Roadwork, 1981

Please vote for Roadwork using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one was clearly the worst of the Bachman book. With the more recently published Bachmans tossed in the mix, it's still at the bottom. I gave it a 2. I only plan to give the books I simply could not finish a 1.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I haven't read it. I should have since it's in my combo Bachman book pack, but for some reason I just never did. :shrugs:
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Totally loved it. A 5 given with all bears' heart.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Bachman is Gan!!!!!!!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definite 5. The best of the early Bachmans. A minority view, I know. But here's the thing. While The Running Man and The Long Walk, and Rage were good reads, I felt they were more plot-driven. Roadwork was more character-driven. The fella saw his life crashing around him, what with the situation with his young son and his wife and his job. King did a great job of showing how a man in that situation could be driven to do what he did. Sortof like the father in Pet Semetary. Step by step toward self-destruction, but helpless to stop himself.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Been a really long time since I read this one and with all the mixed reviews (and votes), I was forced to go find my copy and skim through it to remind me of the whole story line. What's interesting is that the excerpts I read didn't sound at ALL familiar. That being said, I ended up voting Never Read even though I know I have at some point. Moved it up a few notches on the 're-read' list, tho!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a 3. I liked it, but didn't love it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice High_Desert_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road High_Desert_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I gave it a 3. I liked it, but didn't love it.
    Agreed. Its not one of those ones I am running back to to read again anytime soon. I enjoyed it but a 3 pretty much expresses how I feel about it

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Definite 5. The best of the early Bachmans. A minority view, I know.
    there's already three of us...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    This one was clearly the worst of the Bachman book. With the more recently published Bachmans tossed in the mix, it's still at the bottom. I gave it a 2. I only plan to give the books I simply could not finish a 1.
    Thinner is the worst Bachman book imo.

I gave Roadwork a 3. It was decent, but I enjoyed Rage and The Long Walk much more. However, I thought it was better than The Running Man and waaayyyyy better than Thinner.

I liked it about as much as Blaze.

edit: just remembered that The Regulators is a Bachman book, and as it is my "worst SK novel period", I must ammend my previous statement to that regard.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    ...just remembered that The Regulators is a Bachman book, and as it is my "worst SK novel period", I must ammend my previous statement to that regard.
    Whew, that's a relief. Thinner's tops, in my book. The Regulators not quite "worst SK," but definitely much closer to that dubious distinction.

Roadwork... ...passable.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Roadwork has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.415384615 or 68.31%, placing 5th (last) in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, Roadwork placed 4th with a FAS of 3.200000000, so it gained 0.215384615 (+6.73%) this time.

Country
    Country Flag

alas... happy to see it gained almost 7%, though...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Jean, interestingly, every book thus far has gained points from last time. I'm not sure why that is, but it'll be interesting to see which book will lose points from its previous FAS number, if any.

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Jean, interestingly, every book thus far has gained points from last time. I'm not sure why that is, but it'll be interesting to see which book will lose points from its previous FAS number, if any.
    Could that be a reflection of our growing population?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, and it likely is, imo.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread