Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Paramount remaking Pet Sematary

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you're quite right about that. Sorry if I was being a wet blanket. The first one wasn't all bad. Wasn't all good, though. Here, I'm more like just wondering if Del Toro, great as he is at what he does, is really the best choice to re-do PS.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I can see the concern, but I think that he did a good job with reality as well as fantasy in his films, e.g., the reality of the orphanage against the supernatural in The Devil's Backbone and the reality of war against the fantastic in Pan's Labyrinth. Thus, I think we stand a good chance all around of his getting the balance between normal family life, including the impact of a loved one's death, and the mythical and mystical elements of the burial ground.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

Insomnia would be awesome to see. I always get worried when directors start talking about adapting SK though. I'm one of those people that if it's not perfect (and it never is) then I'm always terribly disappointed. It's one of the things I'm trying to overcome as I get older.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Del Toro can have It...I want Pet Semetary.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Traveler the dalinean is on a distinguished road

I'm really looking forward to seeing GDT doing "At the Mountains of Madness"... even if not a Stephen King tale, Lovecraft's an author that SK thinks highly of. Still disappointed that del Toro is out of "The Hobbit"...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by the dalinean View Post
    Still disappointed that del Toro is out of "The Hobbit"...
    Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand I'm glad Jackson is back on board as I thought he did a wonderful job on Lord of the Rings. I love Del Toro's work though and his creature stuff, and I think his version of The Hobbit would have been something very interesting to see.

I wonder if Dream's library that features in The Sandman books has a video section?

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

No mention of Del Toro, but it looks like they're looking for a "high-level director" to tackle the material.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...ng-remake.html

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

1stly i love the film "Pet Semetary" & i don't honestly think it needs to be remade. but the 2nd one is a piece of shit. "IT" is a good one too.

but if they choose to make it just a 2 hr. film than they might as well leave that one alone as well. i think it would be interesting to see this dude make an SK" film i haven't seen much of his work to be honest, but from what i have seen it's not bad. i loved "Hellboy" i didn't see the sequel though so i can't comment on that one.

& i agree he's be PERFECT if he went & decided to do 'Rose Madder' it fits his tone perfectly of the films he normally does. i think "Insomnia" does as well. i think he would do a hell of a job with that one as well.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So long as no one makes The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon until I do, Del Toro can make which King novel he wishes.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    ... i think it would be interesting to see this dude make an SK" film i haven't seen much of his work to be honest, but from what i have seen it's not bad. i loved "Hellboy" i didn't see the sequel though so i can't comment on that one.

& i agree he's be PERFECT if he went & decided to do 'Rose Madder' it fits his tone perfectly of the films he normally does. i think "Insomnia" does as well. i think he would do a hell of a job with that one as well.
    Thanks. I think you'd agree even more with my Rose Madder suggestion fitting his usual tone if you HAD seen more of his past work. I love del Toro. RM is one of the SK books I like least, but as I said, I believe that BdT could capatilize on its potential like no one else. And you're probably right about Insomnia, too, which I also don't love. I bet del Toro could change that. Occasionally, I see a movie adaptation that I actually like better than the original. Secret Window, to give a somewhat relevant example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    ...i love the film "Pet Semetary" & i don't honestly think it needs to be remade... "IT" is a good one too.
    Sorry, no. Compared to the books, they both stink BAD.

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

I'm a huge fan of Guillermo del Toro's works. I regard Pan's Labyrinth as a genuine masterpiece. There's something eerily beautiful about all of his films. I'm still disappointed that he left The Hobbit, but hugely excited for At the Mountains of Madness.

Del Toro would definitely be the best choice to direct IT. The whole idea of the children growing up and losing their innocence is a theme which recurs again and again throughout del Toro's films. He's huge fan of Lovecraft, and It is a very Lovecraftean creature. I think Del Toro is the best creature-designer and set-decorator in the filmmaking business – he would have a great time designing all the dark recesses of Derry and bringing Its different forms to life. He's also a big fan of Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and we know It takes on both of those forms. Hah, I'd love if there was a scene where It transformed into the Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth...

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well on both accounts i don't expect they'd be 100% faithful. i've read "IT" a few times. throught the years. & i agree they NEED to make a version that is long enough to have MORE than was put in the (1990) version. but it's a film i actually do enjoy to watch despite all that was cut. i loved "Insomnia"

& "Rose Madder" i think cause at the time it was something really different than he normally wrote. & his style is soo well OUT of there if that makes any kind of sense. in those 2 books. i do agree that "GTD" would be perfect for those 2 books as films i mean. one book that i do enjoy & to

be honest i can't say if i remember if posted this or not? but if i have sorry for my repeating was the book "Dolores Clairborne" it took me ages it feels like to read that book. not that i thought it was bad. it's just on how he wrote that one. the film i think is better. plus i've loved "Kathy Bates" since she did "Misery" over 20 years ago now. hard to believe it's been that long but it has.

John F. Kennedy Blaine Is A Pain is on a distinguished road

I actually hope Pet Sematary gets remade. That original TV IMO was horrendous!!! It was painful to watch. I don't mean the subject matter either.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the only two King movies that didn't make me want to put the director out of his misery right away by way of radical bearmauling were Shawshank and Secret Window. I very much hope del Toro can add a third

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought The Green Mile was very good too.

I liked The Shining too, although it was quite a departure from the book.

Country
    Country Flag

I never said bears had impeccable taste, Brain...

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    ... I liked The Shining too, although it was quite a departure from the book.
    Whereas The Green Mile film was quite faithful to the book that it was based on. Indisputably good filmmaking, and a real boost to SK's reputation with the mainstream public. I think the only grounds for seriously criticizing it would be if someone doesn't like the original story. There are some valid points that could be raised against it, I reckon. But at least that movie definitely did not fail out of someone bastardizing King's vision, or his sad habit of doing it to himself as in (for example) Pet Semetary.

Country
    Country Flag

right - I didn't really like the original story... but there were other things I hated about the movie (the disney-ish stardust coming from mouth is only one of them, though probably the worst).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    right - I didn't really like the original story... but there were other things I hated about the movie (the disney-ish stardust coming from mouth is only one of them, though probably the worst).
    I got the impression it was more like a swarm of bugs and that happened in the book too. Still I guess we have our own imagination as to how that looked.. which is fair enough.

Whereas The Green Mile film was quite faithful to the book that it was based on.
    Absolutely. There's no reason The Shining couldn't have gone that route of course and still worked.
    Spoiler:
    For one thing the main character's downward story arc seemed much larger in the book. He starts off quite a normal bloke, (albeit one with a dark history, but he basically just wants to get on with life) and ends up a monster. Jack Nicholson on the other hand seemed edgey from the start, so his downward journey seemed a lot less effective.

As a straight up horror, I felt it worked very well though. I've never seen the Shining mini-series all the way through but I think the depiction of Jack fitted the book better.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 02-14-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I corrected an error replacing 'The Stand' with 'The Shining'

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

As a straight up horror, I felt it worked very well though. I've never seen the Shining mini-series all the way through but I think the depiction of Jack fitted the book better.
    I have, and you're right, it did, but Kubrick's version still worked better as a straight up horror.

Country
    Country Flag

I got the impression it was more like a swarm of bugs and that happened in the book too. Still I guess we have our own imagination as to how that looked.. which is fair enough.
    Yes, but to me it just illustrates how tricky it is to adapt books, and how what is "true" to the text may prove quite wrong visually - stricktly in my personal opinion, of course. It's like with Macbeth: the remark goes, "Witches vanish", but when they do actually vanish before our very eyes, it could so easily look ridiculous, break the fabric of the narrative and plunge us into the realm of quite different associations (say-hey-abracadabra, they do it with mirrors, and of course a thousand cheap horror/mystery flicks, let alone fairy tales adaptations) that the director really really has to think of something if he wants to avoid falling into this trap.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That makes a lot of sense. You're making me want to watch it again with more scrutiny!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Del Toro, here's a nice article: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Hellboy 3, Del Toro...then you can move on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast