Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Paramount remaking Pet Sematary

Gunslinger Apprentice KindredAutmn is on a distinguished road KindredAutmn's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

After watching Pan's Labyrinth i have high hopes for the remakes

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/ale...matary-remake/
    Another day, another remake. We've known for a while that Paramount has been planning a new take on Stephen King's Pet Sematary, a remake or re-adaptation or whatever you want to call it. Our last update in February said it was definitely "coming together" and Paramount was looking at "high-level directors" for the gig. Well it sounds like they found one they want - Alexandre Aja, the French filmmaker most recently behind Piranha 3D. Twitch is reporting that Paramount is "actively trying to sign him up", so it sounds like he's being offered the job. But alas, that's all they mention, so barely another update on this project again.

The original Pet Sematary movie, directed by Mary Lambert and starring Fred Gwynne, told the story of a family that moves to rural Maine and discovers a pet cemetery nearby that lies on an ancient burial ground. Our guess, given the trends in Hollywood nowadays, is that this new take will stick to the original Stephen King novel and be a bit more gritty and edgy, as always. Aja is a good director, but his films have never been my favorites. He's also attached to make the sci-fi epic Cobra: The Space Pirate next, which even has promo art, but Twitch says since that's "not scheduled to shoot until 2013 there's no reason at all he couldn't fit [Pet Sematary] in first." We'll be waiting to hear if Aja takes it, or if Paramount looks for someone else.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I can pretty much mirror what everyone else is saying and go OMG BDT wants to adapt IT because I could imagine that he would do a pretty good job of it! His imagery alone would fit in perfectly with the creepy tones of Derry, and I think that as much as I would love a new (true) version of IT on film, he should do Rose Madder instead! I have to admit that in terms of SK books Rose Madder ranks quite highly up there.
    Although another of Stephen's less talked about books like Geralds Game I think he could work absolute wonders with, because ultimately not a lot happens in the book but it requires a lot of tension building which I think Del Torro could really really work some absolute magic with!!

Although if they did do a remake of either Pet Sematary or IT any idea casting for them?

james

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I got the impression it was more like a swarm of bugs and that happened in the book too. Still I guess we have our own imagination as to how that looked.. which is fair enough.
    Yes, but to me it just illustrates how tricky it is to adapt books, and how what is "true" to the text may prove quite wrong visually - stricktly in my personal opinion, of course. It's like with Macbeth: the remark goes, "Witches vanish", but when they do actually vanish before our very eyes, it could so easily look ridiculous, break the fabric of the narrative and plunge us into the realm of quite different associations (say-hey-abracadabra, they do it with mirrors, and of course a thousand cheap horror/mystery flicks, let alone fairy tales adaptations) that the director really really has to think of something if he wants to avoid falling into this trap.
    Coffey's ability to transfer the "sickness" out of one body into himself and then transmit it out into empty space or into another body is central to the plot. I'm not sure how this could be depicted visually in another way that would have been better. So, in my opinion, sticking with the original idea was the right move.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to say, in all honesty, that Pet Semetary is one of my least favorite King books. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the read, but the whole it screamed "Monkey's Paw" to me. I just think King is better than such an obvious thematic rip-off.

Of course, I love just about everything else he has written with the possible exception of "Lisey's Story". That one was "meh" for me. I get that King is about the journey, so his endings can be so-so, but to blatantly grab a concept like that.......IDK
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I have to say, in all honesty, that Pet Semetary is one of my least favorite King books. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the read, but the whole it screamed "Monkey's Paw" to me. I just think King is better than such an obvious thematic rip-off.

Of course, I love just about everything else he has written with the possible exception of "Lisey's Story". That one was "meh" for me. I get that King is about the journey, so his endings can be so-so, but to blatantly grab a concept like that.......IDK
    Oh, come on; his whole career has blatantly employed old concepts. Ghosts, psychics, vampires, werewolves... The devil in Needful Things...
    When it comes to least favorites, Pet Semetary has more original quality than the flying saucer in The Tommyknockers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JameseyLefebure View Post
    I think I can pretty much mirror what everyone else is saying and go OMG BDT wants to adapt IT because I could imagine that he would do a pretty good job of it! His imagery alone would fit in perfectly with the creepy tones of Derry...
    Yes, well, when you think about it, it might be pretty volatile should this highly creative director go to work with that big, strong novel.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Employing old concepts is one thing, regurgitating the basic plot of another story, is another IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean like "Children of the Corn" ?

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yes, but to me it just illustrates how tricky it is to adapt books, and how what is "true" to the text may prove quite wrong visually - stricktly in my personal opinion, of course. It's like with Macbeth: the remark goes, "Witches vanish", but when they do actually vanish before our very eyes, it could so easily look ridiculous, break the fabric of the narrative and plunge us into the realm of quite different associations
    not only do i agree with you on this point, i think this is the MAJOR reason why a lot of King adaptations fail. let's face it, a lot of things King writes about would be incredibly hard to bring to life on the screen and still keep the air of creepiness and horror. some plot elements, if you were to describe them aloud to someone not reading the book, sound downright dumb (for example, taheen come to mind). the reading of the book allows your imagination to "run" a little more, keeping that creepy or scary feeling alive. it's almost as if not actually seeing these things is what makes them all the more terrifying. for me, once a "monster" is on screen, it is seldom scary and often ridiculous, CGI or otherwise.
    Time is a face on the water.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Pet Sematary remake

For years now, we’ve heard rumblings of a Pet Sematary remake moving forward, but nothing has materialized. However, Stephen King adaptations really seem to be gaining momentum once again and a new report reveals that a horror director is planning to take on a new version of Pet Sematary.

According to Variety, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is in talks to direct the movie for Paramount, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Steven Schneider producing. Previously, Fresnadillo directed 28 Weeks Later and Intruders. The original movie, released in 1989, was based on the Stephen King novel published in 1983. There are no details on how closely the new movie would stick to the original material, but we do know that Matt Greenberg and David Kajganich wrote the script.

This is another early report, so we have very little details to provide at this time. However, we thought this would be of interest to our readers and we’ll update this story when more information becomes available.

Source: Variety
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Intruders and hated the original Pet Sematary, so for me it sounds like good news

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. The original "Pet" left much to be desired. I welcome the remake.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I for one loved the original movie.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too. When comparing to the book...not so much, but as a movie, for entertainments sake, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I for one loved the original movie.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I look forward to a remake
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

"It's a good walk, a good story, I'll take yuh up there sometime."
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Banned Joka42 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

there is an estimated date for the remake?

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/67...ilm-remake.htm
    News of the imminent remake of Stephen King's 1983 horror novel "Pet Sematary" has been circulating now for nearly two years since Variety first reported on it back in 2013. Back then, it was reported that director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo was attached to helm the project, but the reboot gained renewed life with the addition of writer Jeff Buhler in 2014.

According to an exclusive interview with Buhler by online horror news site Dread Central, the film has been kicked into high gear and the film will be taking off soon.

Buhler said he has spent the last three months fine tuning the script with Fresnadillo, who is perhaps best known for his film "28 Weeks Later," a follow up to the zombie film "28 Days Later." "Pet Sematary," which also boasts producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Steven Schneider, is in the early stages of planning for pre-production.

"The characters in this script make some tragic decisions, and the horror is about the ramifications of those decisions," Buhler told Dread Central. "There are still the supernatural aspects of the book, with the pet cemetery and the burial ground from which things come back from the dead."

Buhler also spoke about how the original 1989 film, which was directed by Mary Lambert, displayed certain classic horror tropes particular to its time. According to Buhler, the new script concentrates on the more emotional side of King's story, maintaining the horror elements, but dropping the cheesier aspects like Gage's post-resurrection catch phrases.

As for the anticipated start date for production, Buhler revealed that the team is still trying to nail down a budget with Paramount. Once approved, he said that the script will be ready to go upon Fresnadillo's return from New York in August.

Country
    Country Flag

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...atary-20151016
    With the TV series "11/22/63" now filming, and big adaptations of "The Stand" and "It" on the horizon, there may be some Stephen King fans longing for the days when movies based on his books were a bit more lo-fi, a little campy, and definitely nasty. 1989's "Pet Sematary" fits the bill, and Guillermo del Toro wouldn't mind taking his own stab at the material.

With the director's sumptuous and delightfully old-fashioned horror flick "Crimson Peak" opening this weekend, he's finally putting his feet up with a good book. This morning, del Toro tweeted that "Pet Sematary" was "compulsive reading" and that he "would kill to make it on film." Truth be told, it's actually not that far out a possibility.

A few years ago, there was a remake in the works with Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("28 Weeks Later") attached to direct, with a script from Matt Greenberg ("1408," "Reign Of Fire") and David Kajganich ("The Invasion," "Blood Creek"). Nothing really happened with it, but maybe whichever producers have the rights should give del Toro a call. I'd be curious to see his take on the material.

For now, del Toro is still trying to get the green light on "Pacific Rim 2," and he'll shoot a smaller scale movie next year that he's keeping under wraps. "Crimson Peak" opens today.

Book of the Day: PET SEMATARY by Stephen King. Unrelentingly dark and emotional. Compulsive reading. Would kill to make it on film.

— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) October 16, 2015

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet Cematary was one of the movies that really freaked me out. Of course i was a teenager and me and my friends took mushrooms 2 hours before the movie. Pascow nearly gave me a heart attack when he came to life. And no BS my friends and i driving home passed a little blonde boy holding a black cat. we all freaked out and turned around and he was gone. Didn't sleep well that night to say the least. Found out later it was one of my friends little brother whos cat got out and he chased it into the woods. But that night could not have been set up worse for a total Pet Cematary mind F.

Country
    Country Flag

http://movieweb.com/pet-sematary-mov...es-muschietti/
    Director Andrés Muschietti's IT remake hasn't even debuted in theaters yet and the director has already been talking about a second installment to properly adapt Stephen King's original novel. If that wasn't enough, Muschietti and his sister, producer Barbara Muschietti are setting their sights on adapting King's Pet Sematary next. The news comes after the house that King wrote Pet Sematary in went up for sale in Orrington, Maine. The 113-year old house is being sold for $255,000 and includes the pet cemetery in the backyard.

While promoting the upcoming remake of IT, Andrés Muschietti spoke to the Toronto Sun about adapting such a large book into a feature length movie. The director mentioned that it wasn't that hard to split up between three screenwriters to come up with something that they all felt fans would enjoy. Plus, the addition of a second movie will help to bring back scenes that had to be cut and properly represent Stephen King's vision on the big screen. The director said that they have zero interest in just adapting a Stephen King book for the title alone, stating that, "we are true fans of his work." The Muschiettis also have the rights to King's science fiction horror short story Jaunt, which they hope to adapt as well, but they also have their eyes on another King novel.

The Muschiettis really want to dig into Stephen King's 1983 book Pet Sematary next. The early buzz for IT has been absolutely off the charts, so it would be pretty interesting to see what the Muschiettis could bring to the table for a fresh take on Pet Sematary. Andrés Muschietti mentioned that if they could get it right, that Pet Sematary could possibly be up next. The director explains.

"We're huge fans of Pet Sematary. If we can get our hands on that and do the Pet Sematary we want to do, that will be something. One day, maybe."

Stephen King's Pet Sematary was originally adapted for the big screen in 1989 and has gone on to cult status despite mixed reviews upon its release. A sequel followed in 1992 to worse reviews and also went on to gain a cult audience over the years since its initial release. King has said in the past that the book is "terrible" for the way that it just "spirals into darkness." Remakes have been rumored for years, but the Muschiettis might be just the team to pull off a fresh take on the 1983 novel and now is the perfect time as Stephen King is pretty much everywhere these days.

As with any big screen adaptations of books, the pressure is on, especially when dealing with Stephen King's stories. Let's just hope that the Muschiettis are able to pull of their adaptations better than the recently released Dark Tower, which has been getting torn apart by critics and will more than likely be out of theaters soon. In the meantime, we still have IT coming out in a few weeks to hold us over while we wait for more news on a possible Pet Sematary remake.

Country
    Country Flag

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/pe...nt-1202603011/
    Following the huge success of summer blockbuster “It,” Paramount is ready to get the gears moving on another Stephen King classic.

“Starry Eyes” helmers Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer have been tapped to direct a “Pet Sematary” remake at the studio.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Mark Vahradian are producing the remake to the 1989 horror classic, which was directed by Mary Lambert and written by King, along with Steven Schneider. Jeff Buhler and David Kajganich wrote the script, and Alexandra Loewy is executive producing for Paramount.

The original “Pet Sematary” was based on the King novel, which follows the travails of a family who moves into a new home next to a cemetery endowed with powers that allow the creatures buried in it to come back from the dead.

The original brought in $57 million on an $11 million budget, which led to a less commercially successful 1992 sequel starring Edward Furlong and Anthony Edwards.

Paramount had been ramping up its director search since the success of “It,” with directors like Sean Carter and “47 Meters Down” helmer Johannes Roberts also meeting to possibly take on the role.

Kolsch and Widmyer first gained notoriety with their 2014 indie horror pic “Starry Eyes,” which caught the eyes of various studio execs and was partly funded by a successful Kickstarter campaign.

The duo is repped by WME.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know Muschietti wanted to do this but IDK if he'd have been right for something as dark as this. Hope the new guys do a good job.

To be honest aside from a few elements I think the first movie is vastly overrated. I was surprised at how much King seemed to be playing it for laughs. The ending of the book is genuinely scary and the movie plays it out like something from 'Tales from the Crypt' for example.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/07/pet-...ase-date-2019/
    Pet Sematary will rise again in 2019.

Paramount Pictures announced Thursday that its new adaptation of Stephen King’s 1983 horror novel about an ancient burial ground where the dead don’t rest in peace will arrive in theaters April 19, 2019.

As reported in October, Starry Eyes filmmakers Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer are directing the project, working from a script by Jeff Buhler.

Pet Sematary was previously brought to the big screen in 1989 by director Mary Lambert and King himself, who wrote the screenplay. A sequel followed in 1992 but was a critical and commercial dud. King stories have been enjoying a resurgence of late in theaters and on TV, with recent adaptations including The Dark Tower, It, Gerald’s Game, 1922, and Mr. Mercedes.

Pet Sematary currently has its 2019 release date to itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast