Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Paramount remaking Pet Sematary

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.empireonline.com/people/...matary-remake/
    Last October – fittingly, on Halloween, in fact – we learned that the push to make a new film based on Stephen King's spell check enemy novel Pet Sematary had scored Starry Eyes directors Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer. Now it might also have a star, with Jason Clarke in talks to star.

Assuming he actually joins the film, which will once again draw from the 1983 novel, Clarke will play Louis Creed, a doctor who moves his family to the country, seemingly away from danger. But when they arrive, they realise they'll be living next to a busy highway. Oh, and also near a spooky cemetery where people bury their pets and whose misspelled sign gives the story its name. When their cat is killed, they bury the animal, only for it to return. Which might be why Creed decides that, when his son Gage similarly dies in a road accident, maybe they can repeat the trick. Bad idea!

Jeff Buhler wrote the most recent script for the film, which doesn't yet have a release date. Clarke is on screens in the States in historical drama Chappaquiddick (which doesn't yet have a UK date) and will next show up on our screens in Steven Knight's Serenity and First Man.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He is very good actor. I like that choice. More than the rumor for the main role...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent choice with Lithgow.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Wonder if they'll have him use the thick Maine accent?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/p...ptations-ever/
    Stephen King’s Pet Sematary was already adapted in 1989 by Mary Lambert to moderate critical and financial success, but that’s not to say it can’t use a fresh coat of paint, right? In fact, that’s what the folks at Paramount Pictures are thinking, as they’ve now begun to put together a remake of the pic, with Jason Clarke in the lead role.

For those unfamiliar with Pet Sematary, the story follows the Creed family as they move to a small town in the Northeast which borders a cemetery enabling the buried to return. Head of the family, Louis Creed thinks it’s far better to bring his loved ones back from the dead as murderous simulacra than let them rest in peace – but don’t worry, there’s plenty of interfering supporting characters to impart wisdom.

While specifics on the production are scarce at the moment, admirers of Stephen King’s oeuvre must be concerned that the remake is seemingly being rushed in front of the cameras. True, jumping to conclusions at such an early stage would be a tad premature, but the rebirthing of yet another horror classic once again provokes the question whether any piece of cinema history is sacred these days.

That being said, there might be reason to have hope for this one, as writer Jeff Buhler has shed some light on the project today, telling Dread Central this particular adaptation will be bringing the story back to the source material.

“When we first started our conversations, the director and I really connected around the idea of bringing the story back to the source material, to find a modern telling of the book that really spoke to some of the big scenes and big moments that Stephen King had originally written.

And as much as all of us are huge fans of the original film, there are moments that are larger than life and feel borderline campy. Our desire was to tell a really grounded, character driven and psychologically horrific version of Pet Sematary, which in my belief, is the scariest book that King ever wrote.

Continuing on, he said:

“It fucked me when I read it in high school and I always remember hearing that it was the one book King chucked in the garbage, because it was too scary and dark, and it was his wife and his friend Peter Straub who were like, ‘You have to publish this.’

Now, as a father of a five year old and a nine year old, I really connected to this story of grief and loss and what it could do to a family in a different way, in that, how far would a parent go to return to their life prior to a tragic event? All of that feels so poignant and universal. It’s our desire to really reconnect to those elements of the story and bring them into a world that speaks to the modern horror audience.”

Finally, he promised that fans of the novel will love what they’ve got planned, before teasing that it might just be the scariest Stephen King adaptation, ever.

I will say this, if you love the book, you’ll love this movie. (Directors) Dennis and Kevin are both such visionaries in terms of how they’ve approached it, from not only a horror standpoint but also a character standpoint, and it’s been really gratifying to work with those guys. I think we’re on track to it make one of the scariest Stephen King adaptations ever! That’s our goal anyway.”

Though Mary Lambert helmed a pretty decent adaptation (at least, Church the cat was awesome) of the novel back in ’89, it did ultimately fail to properly convey the creeping dread of King’s prose. So, we’re willing to watch some fresh talent take another stab at Pet Sematary and after hearing what Buhler had to say, are definitely excited to see how things continue to develop ahead of the film’s April 19, 2019 release.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"a modern telling"

Gage will be named Aden and be on ADHD meds.

LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to this adaptation. Actually re-reading Pet Semetery now. There is a Gunslinger reference in Chapter 19.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

there are moments that are larger than life and feel borderline campy.
    Yep. So much of the original film seemed to be playing the material for laughs; the ending scene was straight out of 'Tales from the Crypt'.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure about the "modern telling" bit... but still cant wait to see it. First introduction to SK and the scariest...

Country
    Country Flag

I think all that means is that it’s not a period piece, it won’t be set in the ‘80s.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I think all that means is that it’s not a period piece, it won’t be set in the ‘80s.
    But the 80's are in now...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    But the 80's are in now...
    Stranger Sematary...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I had just finished re-watching Pet Sematary and I'm a little puzzled as to why this needs a remake?

I get really irritated at the notion of a (whatever piece of) art being dated. It's not dated, it's of its time, dammit. If shoulder pads, big hair and obsolete cars are why the movie's dated, then we'll be getting another remake in another 20 years.

I'd be OK with the remake if its purpose was to tell a story that follows the book more closely, but after the recent adaptations I don't think that's going to happen. Im also curious about the "modern telling" bit. Will the characters be using I-phones and riding Uber? Exactly how will modernfying PS improve the story is puzzling to me; I remember the grumbles from the fans when King modernized The Stand.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Really, nothing actually gets made for any reason other than that someone believes it will open a new vein of cash (how about the repeated attempts to reboot Spiderman) or capitalize on an existing vein (the current enthusiasm for all things King).

As for the artists (script writer, director, actors) who want to make it, they may have artistic aims. Consider that, even working in the same time period, four different writers/directors could well come up with four very different versions of the same source novel; certainly, if you wait 30 years, a film adaptation is not only different from what a current filmmaker would make, it has aged, and films generally show their wrinkles more readily than novels. I can easily imagine a film creative type reading PS, viewing the film, and saying "I know what this needs" (in some cases, it might even make a good film).

As for PS specifically, some of it strikes some of us as a bit hokey, although some of it was good. One thing that (IMO) was an utter failure was
    Spoiler:
    post-death and disinterment Gage, which looked so goofy it was ridiculous.

How to realistically depict something so profoundly sad and disturbing? I don't know; I just know the 1989 PS film didn't come close to it.

As a King fan, I just sit back and enjoy adaptations the best I can. If it's good - great! If not, well, I'm used to that.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    As a King fan, I just sit back and enjoy adaptations the best I can. If it's good - great! If not, well, I'm used to that.
    Agreed.

I hope the remake ends exactly how the book ends, no more and no less. That one word and then fade to black and roll credits.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Release date moved to April 5 2019:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...e-date-change/

Thanks for sharing this thrilling news! I'm loving to be here and learning something new!
    http://smartessayrewriter.com/blog/u...ur-best-result

Country
    Country Flag

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...-pet-sematary/
    Dennis Widmyer and Kevin Kolsch, the writing/directing duo behind Starry Eyes, have been tasked with bringing Stephen King’s Pet Sematary back to the screen, and Jason Clarke (Winchester) is on board to star as Louis Creed. More recently cast, John Lithgow will be playing the new Jud Crandall, Creed’s kindly neighbor.

More casting news tonight, as Variety reports that Amy Seimetz (Alien: Covenant) is in talks to play the re-adaptation’s female lead.

Paramount originally dated the new adaptation for release on April 19, 2019, but we learned recently that it’s been slightly bumped up to April 5, 2019.

In Pet Sematary, published in 1983 and re-adapted by Jeff Buhler…

“Louis Creed and his wife Rachel move their two children into a home and soon learn there is a creepy Pet Sematary near their property, where legend has it that animals buried there come back to life. It starts with their cat being run over, and brought back, and it gets much worse when the reanimation attempt turns to humans, who don’t come back exactly as they were before.”

Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Mark Vahradian, and Steven Schneider are producing.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/21/pet-...ilm-kids-cast/

The new adaptation of Stephen King’s Pet Sematary has cast its big sister and little brother from the Creed family.

The horror film, which just began shooting this week in Montreal, stars Jason Clarke and Amy Seimetz as a couple who move their young family to the Maine countryside. They discover a bizarre burial ground for beloved pets in the woods behind their property, and it turns out to be the gateway to something else … unspeakable.

Ten-year-old Jeté Laurence will play Ellie, a sweet and sensitive young girl who adores her cat Winston Churchill, or “Church” for short, and wins over the heart of the old-timer who lives next door (played by John Lithgow.) Three-year-old twins Hugo Lavoie and Lucas Lavoie will play Gage, her toddler little brother — who is prone to wandering into trouble.

The film, directed by Starry Eyes filmmakers Dennis Widmyer and Kevin Kolsch, will be a first for the Lavoie brothers, whose parents auditioned them after seeing a casting notice on Facebook, but Laurence already has a long career at a young age.

She co-starred with Michael Fassbender in last year’s thriller The Snowman, and she has had roles on Marvel’s Jessica Jones, Sneaky Pete, Friends From College and played the childhood version of Paige onThe Americans. She is represented by CESD, Zoom Talent Management, and Peikoff/Mahan.

Paramount Pictures also released this official synopsis: “Based on the seminal horror novel by Stephen King, Pet Sematary follows Dr. Louis Creed (Clarke), who, after relocating with his wife Rachel (Seimetz) and their two young children from Boston to rural Maine, discovers a mysterious burial ground hidden deep in the woods near the family’s new home. When tragedy strikes, Louis turns to his unusual neighbor, Jud Crandall (Lithgow), setting off a perilous chain reaction that unleashes an unfathomable evil with horrific consequences.”

The producers are Lorenzo di Bonaventura, whose credits include the Transformers movies and the 2007 King adaptation 1408; Mark Vahradian, another veteran of the Transformers series, and Steven Schneider, best known for the Insidious movies.

The script has been adapted by by Jeff Buhler, showrunner of Syfy’s George R.R. Martin space series Nightflyers.

Pet Sematary is scheduled to open on April 5, 2019.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the casting for the kids!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

https://movieweb.com/pet-sematary-re...ps-production/
    Expect the Stephen King Renaissance of 2017 to resurge with a vengeance in 2019 with IT: Chapter Two and a new remake of Pet Sematary already considered 2 of next year's most hotly-anticipated horror movies. The later has just wrapped filming outside of Montreal; the news was announced by Pet Sematary's assistant director Beau Ferris on Instagram and circulated by CinePhellas on Twitter, along with a photo of John Lithgow.

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

Really stoked for this one. Fred Gwynne's Jud Crandall was very amusing - and my favorite South Park character - but John Lithgow elevates about anything he's in.

Country
    Country Flag

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ine-cast-role/
    One of the most nightmarish movie characters of all time is no doubt Zelda from Pet Sematary, the deathly ill sister of Rachel Creed who was actually played by male actor Andrew Hubatsek in the ’89 big screen adaptation. Zelda, who suffers from spinal meningitis, makes a brief but unforgettable appearance in the film, and she’s coming back for the re-adaptation.

Young actress Alyssa Brooke Levine (below) has been cast as our new Zelda.

Three-year-old twins Hugo Lavoie and Lucas Lavoie will play Gage Creed, with Jeté Laurence taking on the role of Ellie Creed. Jason Clarke (Winchester) and Amy Seimetz (Alien: Covenant) are our new Louis and Rachel Creed. John Lithgow is Jud Crandall.

Paramount originally dated the new adaptation for release on April 19, 2019, but we learned recently that it’s been slightly bumped up to April 5, 2019.

In Pet Sematary, adapted by Jeff Buhler…

“Based on the seminal horror novel by Stephen King, Pet Sematary follows Dr. Louis Creed (Clarke), who, after relocating with his wife Rachel (Seimetz) and their two young children from Boston to rural Maine, discovers a mysterious burial ground hidden deep in the woods near the family’s new home. When tragedy strikes, Louis turns to his unusual neighbor, Jud Crandall (Lithgow), setting off a perilous chain reaction that unleashes an unfathomable evil with horrific consequences.”

Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Mark Vahradian, and Steven Schneider are producing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast