• 2: Only so-so

0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never Read

9 6.82%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #2: The Stand (1978)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #2: The Stand (1978)

The Stand, 1978

Please vote for The Stand using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You may base your vote on the 1990 uncut version as well as the 1978 original.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

5++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm with Jean on this one. Completely.

One of my all time favorites. So excellent.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Our inaugural Best Book winner

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Going out on a limb here and am going to say that Larry's trip through the Lincoln Tunnel was one of the best written, most intense "scenes" King has done.

I just loved this book, on so many levels.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i gave it a 6

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not only the best King book ever, it's one of the best books I've ever read, of any sort from any one.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I was disappointed there wasn't a voting scale higher than 5 for this book. This book gets 1000 out of 5.

Country
    Country Flag

Just think of 5 as 1,000

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This is definitely a 5 for me. I LOVE this book.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    5++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i gave it a 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hitchhiker View Post
    I was disappointed there wasn't a voting scale higher than 5 for this book. This book gets 1000 out of 5.
    Need I say more?
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

5. Definitely 5. No doubt - 5.

And to those of you who haven't read this one yet - you don't know what you're missing!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Not only the best King book ever, it's one of the best books I've ever read, of any sort from any one.
    Absolutely, it really is an alltime classic.

Great story, great characters, and best of all: Flagg. Need I say more?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Going out on a limb here and am going to say that Larry's trip through the Lincoln Tunnel was one of the best written, most intense "scenes" King has done.

I just loved this book, on so many levels.

Oh man, I love that chapter!

How can you not give The Stand a 5?

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone actually voted 3 - Average!

What's up wioth that!!

It's a 5
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. DUH!
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam vacant lot is on a distinguished road vacant lot's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

5 all the way.

Traveler Doug Peck is on a distinguished road

i don't know how anyone can rate this book less than a 5!!!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I'm with all the previous posters...
    this is a great book!
    The Stand is King's best work, and one of the best of it's time.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dagavidiab is on a distinguished road Dagavidiab's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was my first King book!!! I was around 11 years, and it hook me for life!! Vote: 5

Country
    Country Flag

Whoa, look at all those fives... Must be our best vote-getter yet.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The premise of "Captain Trips" is most famous to our cultural mainstream, but it's the final book that really takes your breath away. King is often defensive about his tendency for weak endings, but in this case, the ambiguity needs no justification.

I gave The Stand a 5, too, of course.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Stand has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.845528455 or 96.91%, placing 1st (winner) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Stand also placed 1st with a FAS of 4.724137931, so it gained 0.121390524 (+2.57%) this time.

+ Reply to Thread