Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

This thread is for members to nominate titles (film, mini-series, TV) for the Award for Best King on the Screen. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must either be based on the written work of Stephen King or be an original screenplay/teleplay written by Stephen King. This extends to any film, mini-series, or television show that meets those guidelines. Titles based on works originally published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a title for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a title to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Be careful that you are posting in the correct thread, as there is also the thread for Worst King on the Screen, which is this category’s polar opposite. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

Films/Miniseries/TV based upon a SK book or story.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I will make a very unpopular nomination. My personal favorite, yet worst for most.

Maximum Overdrive

Yeah,Yeah.....I know.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

BC, I just nominated that for Worst!

For Best : Shawshank Redemption
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

seconded

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

I knew someone would. Just as I knew someone would nominate Shawshank Redemption for this thread.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Mist

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

thirded

The Green Mile
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

The Shining (the Stanley Kubrick one, even though the newer one follows the book a lot closer).

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

seconding the Green Mile and the Shining
    (can i do that? a double whammy???))

nominating
    Kingdom Hospital

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

BC, I actually love Maximum Overdrive too. I think for whatever reasons it is simultaneously good and bad.

And I'll second it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    BC, I actually love Maximum Overdrive too. I think for whatever reasons it is simultaneously good and bad.

And I'll second it.
    WE.... MADE... YOU!!!!!!!!!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Mist
    I second The Mist and I would also like to nominate 1408.

And I have an issue with The Shining nomination. There's only been one nomination so far, and I'm thankful that thebumbler specified which version, but I would like to stress that there was the USA Network version. Sorry I am pointing this out after thebumbler did, but I hated the Stanley Kubrick version. The only one I will watch is the USA Network version
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Mist
    I second The Mist and I would also like to nominate 1408.

And I have an issue with The Shining nomination. There's only been one nomination so far, and I'm thankful that thebumbler specified which version, but I would like to stress that there was the USA Network version. Sorry I am pointing this out after thebumbler did, but I hated the Stanley Kubrick version. The only one I will watch is the USA Network version
    I understand where you're comin from, SynysterSaint. The Kubrick Shining is so different from the book, it might as well have a different title, and its also pretty dated (and wasnt it disliked by Stephen King as well?) Aside from that, I thought Kubrick did an excellent job of bringing out the sheer horror of the scenes that really counted (like the woman in the bathroom scene...ffffuck I get the chills just thinkin about that part!) Also, Im sorry but Stephen Weber, in my book, is no match for Jack Nicholson when it comes to crazy. I did like the new Shining, very accurate and not without it's scary parts, but as with every made for tv king movie, it left a lot to be desired, for me.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll nominate Stand by Me.

And I'll third The Green Mile, and The Shining.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thebumblerinblack View Post
    I understand where you're comin from, SynysterSaint. The Kubrick Shining is so different from the book, it might as well have a different title, and its also pretty dated (and wasnt it disliked by Stephen King as well?) Aside from that, I thought Kubrick did an excellent job of bringing out the sheer horror of the scenes that really counted (like the woman in the bathroom scene...ffffuck I get the chills just thinkin about that part!) Also, Im sorry but Stephen Weber, in my book, is no match for Jack Nicholson when it comes to crazy. I did like the new Shining, very accurate and not without it's scary parts, but as with every made for tv king movie, it left a lot to be desired, for me.
    I agree that Kubrick did a fantastic job at making the horror of the book stand out without following most of the plot. Just as you said, it could have been titled a completely different thing without compromising any of the things that made it terrifying. But that's what I can't get passed; that it isn't the book. I respect Kubrick for making what I consider to be one of the scariest films I've ever seen. But I cannot respect him for raping King's fantastic plot-line. And come on, thebumbler, no one is arguing that Nicholson isn't a perfect psychopath

You're right, by the way: King hated it. But then again, he tends to love the adaptations that people are very wary about. Two of his favorites: The Mist and 1408. It seems to me he likes the films that expand upon his ideas; not destroy them for others.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Good points, Synyster, good points. I dont know how Kubrick was really even aloud to make such huge changes, I'd've hated it too if I wrote the story. I actually watched the movie (kubrick's) before I read the book, and as a horror movie (a Stephen King horror movie, even though, technically, it's not), like you said, its definitely one of the scariest films I've ever seen, and easily in my top 5 favs of that genre. Having said all that, Im not even a big fan of Kubrick's. Aside from A Clockwork Orange, I think most of his films are way too long, and pretty boring. Also (and I know we're not argueing which actor was better, but) it wasnt just Weber, I thought the whole cast could have been better in the new one, like the new Danny really annoyed me, and I missed Shelley Duvall's creepy mousiness. But I will say that they did a great job with the bathtub lady again (not as scary as the first, but still freaky as hell.) sorry if Im ramblin.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like to nominate Carrie.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Stand by Me, The Mist and 1408 and for all you cocka-doodies out there, I'd like to nominate Misery!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

I 2nd Misery!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    seconding the Green Mile and the Shining
    (can i do that? a double whammy???))
    Yes, you can. You can second/third etc as many as you like, but nominate only one.

Country
    Country Flag

Maximum Overdrive 2
    Shawshank Redemption 3
    The Mist 3
    The Green Mile 3
    The Shining (Kubrick version) 3
    Kingdom Hospital 1
    1408 2
    Stand by Me 2
    Carrie 1
    Misery 2

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I suspect quite a few haven't seen it, but I'm nominating The Woman In The Room.

If you rescue me

Seen it...and second it. The nightmare scene in that was disturbing
    Spoiler:
    not that the whole poisoning mom thing wasn't

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It makes me cry.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast