Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Minor Character--Nominations Closed

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Minor Character--Nominations Closed

This thread is for members to nominate characters for the Award for Best Minor Character. In order for a character to be eligible for nomination they must satisfy the definition of a supporting character listed below, and they must be a character from one of Stephen King's published works, including any of his novels, novellas, and short stories. Characters from titles published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a character for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a character to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated character must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each character listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

Minor Character - Any character in a literary work whose contribution is essentially smaller than that of a Supporting Character. This way we can hope to do justice to such unforgettable creations of Sai King's superbly multifaceted talent that otherwise might have been eclipsed by other, apparently more significant ones

The distinction is not always obvious, so do not be afraid to nominate in the "wrong" category; there are always mods around who would be happy to move your nominations to where they belong.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jud Crandall
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

'Salem's Lot Spoiler (not sure if the tag is necessary)
    Last edited by SynysterSaint; 03-02-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Originally Not a Minor Character- sorry :(
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Jud Crandall
    Vehemently seconded.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Irv Manders - Fire starter

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Speedy Parker
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jud Crandall - 2
    The coach bus driver at the end of 'Salem's Lot - 1
    Irv Manders - 1
    Speedy Parker - 1

Traveler michalz00 is on a distinguished road michalz00's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rosalita Munoz

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Speedy Parker
    seconded

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thirding Speedy Parker

Country
    Country Flag

bears second Rosalita

Jud Crandall 2
    The coach bus driver at the end of 'Salem's Lot 1
    Irv Manders 1
    Speedy Parker 3
    Rosalita Munoz 2

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Jud Crandall.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'll nominate Tom Cullen from the Stand.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Tom Cullen.
    I nominate Gordon LaChance, the protagonist from "The Body".

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The woodchuck from Under the Dome

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Thirding Speedy Parker
    Fourt.. ah, never mind. I'm the fourth voter for Speedy.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The woodchuck from Under the Dome
    seconded.

Spoiler:
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Lily-sai has transferred here her nomination for Trashcan Man. Bears second it.
    Bears also third Tom Cullen.

Jud Crandall 3
    Irv Manders 1
    Speedy Parker 4
    Rosalita Munoz 2
    Trashcan Man 2
    Tom Cullen 3
    Gordon LaChance 1
    The woodchuck (Under the Dome) 2

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Gordy
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Third Trashcan Man.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Can Gordon LaChance really be considered a minor character? He was the main character of that story.

I'll third the Woodchuck
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Jud Crandall (Pet Sematary) 3
    Irv Manders (Firestarter) 1
    Speedy Parker (The Talisman - Black House) 4
    Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
    Trashcan Man (The Stand) 3
    Tom Cullen (the Stand) 3
    Gordon LaChance (The Body) 2 ---> may have to be moved to Protagonist
    The woodchuck (Under the Dome) 3

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

fourth vote for tom cullen

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, he is, but it's not exactly one of King's main stories, and I hoped to do justice to such an unforgettable creation that might be eclipsed by other, apparently more significant ones. If we're going to be strict about characters with "contributions in a literary work essentially smaller than that of a Supporting Character," then I think that Jud should also be moved. He really is one of SK's best supporting characters.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well this is just purely my opinion, and I don't mean any disrespect, but I think it's kinda unfair to put him up against some very minor characters (some of which only appear in a story for a page or two). I understand what you're saying and he would surely get left behind in the best protagonist category, but maybe supporting character would be a better fit for him? It's just that he is the most prominent character in the story, and it was a novella not a short story, so that gave the reader a lot of time to get to know him.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast