Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Supporting Character--Nominations Closed

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Same here.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not so sure about that. However, my blessing if y'all prefer to move him, instead; I have not nominated any Best Protagonist.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Henry Leyden (Black House) 3
    Cuthbert (DT) 3
    Jerome Wireman (Duma Key) 4
    John Edward Marinville (Desperation) 3 ----> may later be moved to Best Protagonist
    Wolf (The Talisman) 4
    Chris Chambers (The Body) 1
    David Carver (Desperation) 1 ---> may later be moved to Best Protagonist

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Chris Chambers
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cuthbert (DT) 3
    Jerome Wireman (Duma Key) 4
    John Edward Marinville (Desperation) 3 ----> may later be moved to Best Protagonist
    Wolf (The Talisman) 4
    Gordon LaChance (The Body) 2 ---> moved here from Best Minor

Chris Chambers has, accordingly, been moved to Best Protagonist

Country
    Country Flag

Ladies and gentlemen who nominated or seconded Marinville and/or David Carver: who do you consider the Protagonist of Desperation? Can either of these nominations be moved to Protagonist? Or maybe a collective Protagonist should be considered, as we did in the case of It?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... maybe a collective Protagonist should be considered, as we did in the case of It?
    I could support that. I think it would be a real honor to David to be nominated for Protagonist, and I hate to be petty in this game, where the real point is to have fun. I'm just concerned for all of us to fully appreciate the book.

Every good story involves some form of conflict. As I see it, a protagonist is the character in a given story who overcomes its main obstacles.

IMO, in Desperation
    Spoiler:
    the key obstacles turn out to be Marinville's own personal flaws. David leads him to overcome them, making the man a hero. Such function is often displayed by a common, major type of secondary character.

This is not like DT 7, where
    Spoiler:
    Oy's sacrifice supports the protagonist's continuing quest.

Sure, Tak antagonizes all the people in this book, but that, too, is a catalyst to Johnny's development, in my view. Could the antagonist have been otherwise defeated? Perhaps... but that would have been a different story.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Cuthbert fourth

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would Red (Shawshank) be considered the protagonist or would that be Andy? Since the story is told by Red, I'm guessing that Andy would be the secondary character, thus leading me to cast my vote for him.

I'll fifth Cuthbert
    I'll fifth Wireman

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    ...Since the story is told by Red, I'm guessing that Andy would be the secondary character...
    I don't think that's a rule at all. Narrator doesn't have to be the protagonist. Such conventions of form are mostly separate matters.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

hmmm... good question
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Cuthbert (DT) 5
    Jerome Wireman (Duma Key) 5
    Wolf (The Talisman) 4
    Gordon LaChance (The Body) 2 ---> moved here from Best Minor
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

For what its worth, I see the protagonist is the character that meets with, struggles with, and overcomes adversity/antagonists.

Thus I see it as follows:

Andy: major protagonist
    Red: Minor protagonist
    Warden: Major Antagonist
    Hadley: Minor antagonist
    Bogs: Minor antagonist
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

dear friends, please take one final look in case you forgot to nominate or support someone or something

this poll will be closed next Friday

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

dear friends, please take one final look in case you forgot to nominate or support someone or something

this poll will be closed next Friday

[cough]Mother Abigail[/cough] Hint, hint.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gasher!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    bears nominate her!!! luckily, they haven't nominated in this thread yet

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Gasher!
    maybe you should consider nominating him in this thread instead?

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Done!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    bears nominate her!!! luckily, they haven't nominated in this thread yet
    That is lucky!
    A hasty second from me. *fingers crossed*

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Luckily I also haven't nominated in this category. I wanna nominate Stephen King, the character.

Country
    Country Flag

seconded!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I thought he was about as good a character, as he is an actor.

Meteor Shit!!!

Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Wow, I thought he was about as good a character, as he is an actor.

Meteor Shit!!!

Second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Luckily I also haven't nominated in this category. I wanna nominate Stephen King, the character.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meteor shit rocks!

Country
    Country Flag

Cuthbert (DT) 5
    Jerome Wireman (Duma Key) 5
    Wolf (The Talisman) 4
    David Carver (Desperation) 1
    Gordon LaChance (The Body) 2
    Mother Abigail (The Stand) 2
    Stephen King (The Dark Tower) 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast