• 2: Only so-so

1 2.17%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never Read

5 10.87%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #1: Carrie (1974)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #1: Carrie (1974)

Carrie, 1974

Please vote for Carrie using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gave it an Average. It's a good book, but only when not put up against King's other work. When put up against King's other work, it's only average.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I gave it a 5 - but that might be because it was the first non short story book of King's I've read and I kind of fell in love with it.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Along the Path of the Beam vacant lot is on a distinguished road vacant lot's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Gave it a 5. Read it when first published, so it was my first SK book.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

3. Honestly, if I had read this book first, it probably would have taken me much longer to develop my SK fixation. This story was WAYYYY to predictable for one thing, and quite cliche.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

a 5 from bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    3. Honestly, if I had read this book first, it probably would have taken me much longer to develop my SK fixation. This story was WAYYYY to predictable for one thing, and quite cliche.
    Maybe now, maybe not then.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

The overbearing, religious fanatic mother demonizing her daughter's sexual maturation has never been a unique idea.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think this novel is often viewed unfairly. It's short but I personally liked it a lot, I think I should re-read it some day. A 4 for me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The overbearing, religious fanatic mother demonizing her daughter's sexual maturation has never been a unique idea.
    And if the daughter had the idea of taking revenge with super-powers, that would certainly not be unique, either. However, such a plot could hardly be called a literary cliché, before 1974.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But King has never been famous for uniqueness or novelty of the ideas lying at the core of the plots. What's so unique about an apocalypse, or a small town with vampires, or a mind-reader, or a haunted place? It's how he does it and how the sidelines and characters are developed that is priceless. I love Carrie, I really think it's a masterpiece, with everything about it done to perfection.

Country
    Country Flag

Well said, Jean!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    But King has never been famous for uniqueness or novelty of the ideas lying at the core of the plots. What's so unique about an apocalypse, or a small town with vampires, or a mind-reader, or a haunted place? It's how he does it and how the sidelines and characters are developed that is priceless. I love Carrie, I really think it's a masterpiece, with everything about it done to perfection.
    Good points.
    Sloth Love Chunk

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    And if the daughter had the idea of taking revenge with super-powers, that would certainly not be unique, either. However, such a plot could hardly be called a literary cliché, before 1974.
    i agree completley path, this was really quite a unique idea way back when and could have been considered quite shocking at the time with some of the elements of the book.

I know that i first read this as an adolecent teen and loved the book so much it has remained a favourite of mine to this day.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, (though it's been said before me) I think there are a rather small number of archetypes commonly used in literature (more so even in horror). It is usually about what is done in the details ...not just with King, but with most authors. It's pretty unusual to run across a completely original idea, imo. I too thought Carrie was phenomenal.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

this is absolutely true, of course, but still there's a difference between trendsetters, like Lovecraft, and developers, like King. I usually prefer the latter, Lovecraft being a glorious exception. I'd prefer 'Salem's Lot to Stoker's Dracula in any weather, although I realize, of course, that Stoker was the first to give a vampire story the form of a published novel. Another example is the great difference between the similar (as Cyber once pointed out, but, unlike what I am going to do, to the disadvantage of King) scenes of riddling - and cheating - in LotR and DT3-4. The former comes directly from the lore, and is therefore "original"; the other is not original, but is so magnificently developed, so rich in unforgettable details, the best Roland's monologue, the mortal combat of wills, the behavior of all the participants, Susannah signalling to Roland, "lie to him!" when Jake asks if there still is hope, Eddie finally proving to Roland what he's worth, and all. It's one of the best in the world's literature - to bears' mind - while in LotR it's only an archetypal guessing contest and necessary plot device.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

True, but it can reasonably be argued that neither Stoker nor Lovecraft were originators, but developers too. Before Dracula there was Polidori's Vampire, Rymer's Feast Of Blood, and LeFanu's Carmilla and before Lovecraft there were many others who dealt in similar themes, but on a much smaller scale usually. The unknown "thing" or unspeakable evil goes back at least as far as Meyrink's Golem and probably furthur. I agree with your general premise though.

If you rescue me

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems to me that the premise Jean is advancing generally is just that Stephen King is a great writer. If so, then I agree, too.
    ...I'd prefer 'Salem's Lot to Stoker's Dracula in any weather...
    And I agree with this, as well, though it doesn't change what I recently said @ the 'Salem's Lot poll. Simply put, I'd even more prefer It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...I think there are a rather small number of archetypes commonly used in literature (more so even in horror). It is usually about what is done in the details ...not just with King, but with most authors. It's pretty unusual to run across a completely original idea, imo. ...
    I also agree with this, since you avoided absolutes.
    I would disagree with any statement that there are no original ideas... but, anyway, this thread is probably not the right place to hold that argument.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Carrie has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.975609756 or 79.51%, placing 5th (last) in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, Carrie placed 4th with a FAS of 3.690909091, so it gained 0.284700665 (+7.71%) this time.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Seems to me that the premise Jean is advancing generally is just that Stephen King is a great writer. If so, then I agree, too.
    ...I'd prefer 'Salem's Lot to Stoker's Dracula in any weather...
    And I agree with this, as well, though it doesn't change what I recently said @ the 'Salem's Lot poll. Simply put, I'd even more prefer It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...I think there are a rather small number of archetypes commonly used in literature (more so even in horror). It is usually about what is done in the details ...not just with King, but with most authors. It's pretty unusual to run across a completely original idea, imo. ...
    I also agree with this, since you avoided absolutes.
    I would disagree with any statement that there are no original ideas... but, anyway, this thread is probably not the right place to hold that argument.

Oh, I totally agree. The only absolute statement I'd make on that is that original...I mean totally original ideas are rather rare.

And I agree King is a great writer. In fact I'm of the opinion that he deserves a nobel.The point of my statements was basically that King is in the same class as Lovecraft or any of the other greats.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread