Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie Trailer thread

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, just like you'll have to see if season 5 of Who is on instant play and finish watching it once and for all!

Btw, that does remind me that I've got Netflix instant back up. Any recommendations on movies to watch? (TV shows, I know exactly which ones: Dexter or Breaking Bad. After the Wire (which is the greatest US series I've ever seen, btw) and Carnivale, I'll get back to BB, followed by Dexter.)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I need to give The Last Exorcism another shot. I enjoyed it up until the end, and then...
    It just felt very disjointed and like a completely different movie.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OMFG! This is a joke, right? This is in no way fucking serious?
    http://youtu.be/qUJeWvpat-M

This is basically CBS telling us, in way before the 4 minutes are even finished:

Everything you thought...everything you suspected...everything you FEARED...has come to pass.

Elementary. The way Sherlock should be done: by "fixing" everything the BBC series got "wrong"!

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, I don't see that from the trailer. Although, I'll pass on this show. Not a fan of either of the leads and althogh I think it is possible to enjoy two different tv shows about the same subject/person, I don't think this one quite has the feel of Sherlock Holmes and John/Joan Watson.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

interesting....(even though I will not be watching this as I haven't seen the BBC version...I have enough police procedural shows in my pocket...lol...)having a female Watson was cool....but that is just me.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It could be a cool idea, but there are so many unnecessary changes, including making Watson a "former surgeon" rather than a former Army doctor, and being "Holmes's sober companion", that you can't help but wonder: why? And then of course there's the completely predictable romantic tension...ok, here's the thing, I probably wouldn't have a problem with a show like this if it was just another crime show that's loosely inspired by Holmes like so many are, like The Mentalist, for example, in fact I wouldn't pay any attention to it in the slightest. It's just insulting to everyone's intelligence that what these guys have done is make another crime show, only this time, one that exploits the Holmes name rather than embrace it, clearly using the Holmes mythology in name only.

Like I said, this just seems to be getting wrong what a lot of people feared would be wrong with BBC's Sherlock. Through a miracle (and the writing of Steven Moffat, of course), it somehow avoided being shit and turned into one of the best Holmes adaptations in a very long time while still being a fantastic tv series in its own right. Elementary looks to be as forgettable as not only a bad Holmes adaptation but also a number of crimes shows out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Nah, I don't see that from the trailer. Although, I'll pass on this show. Not a fan of either of the leads and althogh I think it is possible to enjoy two different tv shows about the same subject/person, I don't think this one quite has the feel of Sherlock Holmes and John/Joan Watson.
    That's exactly it. The Holmes and Watson relationship is a very unique relationship with a unique dynamic, and I'm just not feeling it here.

And mystima: you haven't watched Sherlock yet? Correct that, asap!

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Johnny Lee Miller from Dexter's in it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And Lucy Liu is Watson. I mean...I still can't get past that. Seriously, what the eff?

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, won't you be suprised when the finale's twist is that she used to be a man!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ugh. You know, I still can't get over just how obviously it is of being a total ripoff of Sherlock. Not a remake, just a ripoff. It's not that the idea of modernizing Sherlock Holmes is new - the guys who made Sherlock have in fact said the Basil Rathbone movies were what they were inspired by - but as different as CBS is trying to make Elementary by comparison, there's no question where they got their idea of "modernising" Holmes from. Especially when they asked Sherlock co-creator Steven Moffat if they could specifically remake his version first.

Just...no. No. I mean official remakes of great British shows is one thing, people behind the original sold their rights to that. But this...this is just a whole new low. I do not predict great things for this series.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

But why is it not just another remake? That's what I'd classify it as. Did they actually talk to Steven Moffat? That's really weird. Things like this happen all the time. There's so many instances where 2 very similar films get created at the same time. For example, there's the 2 new Snow White films coming out soon. Plus you also have both Once Upon a Time and Grimm which both premiered this past fall. If you think about it, it's not really surprising also considering that Guy Ritchie released the Sherlock Holmes film a year or so ago as well.

Oh and just to settle your mind a bit, don't worry, I have no intentions of watching it

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    But why is it not just another remake? That's what I'd classify it as. Did they actually talk to Steven Moffat? That's really weird. Things like this happen all the time. There's so many instances where 2 very similar films get created at the same time. For example, there's the 2 new Snow White films coming out soon. Plus you also have both Once Upon a Time and Grimm which both premiered this past fall. If you think about it, it's not really surprising also considering that Guy Ritchie released the Sherlock Holmes film a year or so ago as well.
    That's exactly what they did, and he said no. You raise a fair point with those others, but this wasn't something developed coincidentally, like Guy Ritchie's Holmes and Moffat's.. This was seeing how popular the UK series was and trying to copy that success. It's that simple. It could be interesting to watch another interpretation, but after watching the perfection that is the BBC version, neither the writing nor acting looks to be half as good.

Oh and just to settle your mind a bit, don't worry, I have no intentions of watching it
    I'm glad to hear it!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Eh, don't agree with your statement that a different approach shouldn't be taken just because a great version of that story exists already.

Example : Christopher Nolan's Batman films. Probably the greatest set of live action dark knight tales we'll ever see, right ? Does that mean that other directors shouldn't try their hand at adding to the lore ? Of course not. I will be excited to see what the next director can do with a such a wonderfully complex character. And the director after that. And the director after that. And so forth, and so on.

There are always more tales to tell. Characters as revered as the two in question don't belong to any one group or era.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, that's entirely true, feev. But would you want to see another Batman trilogy by another director being made at the same time as Nolan's? Yes, as I pointed out, there is always more tales to tell, but just how likely is it that this version of the series will be as good as what it's been inspired by? I'm not saying another modern version of Holmes is unnecessary - as I said before, Sherlock is not even the first modernisation of the story. I'm just saying that it's unnecessary now.

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

To be fair, there are Batman movies, television shows, direct-to-video animated movies, comic books, novelizations, video games, so on and so on all going on at the same time. And I love them all.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh, that's entirely true, feev. But would you want to see another Batman trilogy by another director being made at the same time as Nolan's?
    Well I haven't been in that situation, but I wouldn't mind it. Hell, why would I ? More of what I love is always a good thing.

...just how likely is it that this version of the series will be as good as what it's been inspired by?
    Don't know, why don't we wait and see first before coming to pre emptive conclusions ? It could go either way. Don't think that the time frame it's being released in has any bearing on it's overall quality.

I'm not saying another modern version of Holmes is unnecessary - as I said before, Sherlock is not even the first modernisation of the story. I'm just saying that it's unnecessary now.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    ...just how likely is it that this version of the series will be as good as what it's been inspired by?
    Don't know, why don't we wait and see first before coming to pre emptive conclusions ? It could go either way. Don't think that the time frame it's being released in has any bearing on it's overall quality.
    Well, it's less the time frame and more...Lucy Liu as Watson and the clear UST that's coming off from the trailer. It's coming off as wrong as a love story between Bruce Wayne and Alfred. Bear in mind, I'm only skeptical of it because of how 99% of Americanisations of great British classics have sucked. I'm aware of the exceptions, of course, such as the Office (which had a lot of support from the creators), and Sanford and Son, and...nope, that's about it.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, let's remain cautiously optimistic it's that 1% , shall we ?

I know I'm doing a bit of cross examination here, but Robin's sex was changed from male to female in The Dark Knight Returns and the change actually enhanced certain aspects of the story.

If this version of Sherlock sucks, I'll gladly hold up a pitchfork along with everyone else. Well maybe not becuase I'll be too lazy. I'll be there with everyone in spirit though. If I'm not stoned.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, and speaking of Sherlock - your review on series 1?

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll post one soon ... let me gather my thoughts on it a bit more.

It's very positive though.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts, anyway.

As for Elementary...I'll try and be a little less skeptical about it. I won't be cautiously optimistic, but I will be cautious, at least. True, it's a ripoff, but it could be a good one. It's not likely in the slightest - say what you like, a female Watson is a way bigger change to the story than to a female Robin, unless Sherlock was a woman as well - but I'll watch an ep or two at least. In the meantime, I've got plenty of the original stories to read. Not to mention the Reichenbach Fall to watch over and over again!

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Amazing Movie Trailers

I love trailers for movies, but then again I also hate them. There is a line most advertisers cross when giving away too much of the movie; sometimes a 30 second tv spot tells me the entire movie and thus, making it pointless for me to watch. Some trailers leave us with mystery or shock us and make us want to see the movie, others get us intimately involved with the characters or the situation. To me a great trailer entices us with a promise to come, with a gist of the plot and some connection to it. I know there is already a trailer thread for new trailers, but I'd like this thread to be dedicated to great trailers, that go above and beyond what most trailers do.

I love this trailer because it's stylish and eye catching, we get find ourselves already invested in their relationship and it leaves us hanging with her kidnapping and a small taste of what Cready might do to get her back.

Between the score, the great use of editing and the subject material I was wanting to see this movie immediately.

Some would say the inventor of viral marketing for a movie. By giving us this trailer, the sudden intensity of it, the head of the statue of liberty but really showing you nothing about what is actually happening, nor giving a title to a movie instantly had the internet set ablaze for quite a long time, people dissected the trailer to theorize what it could actually be. No trailer has accomplished what this one has imo.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a Movie Trailer thread already, friendo.

CLICK ME!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

YES YES YES.

I can not wait!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast