PDA

View Full Version : Continue the story *Ending Spoliers*

Lowmen45
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I just finished the series, I like the ending, but fell alot is left open.I dont fell the series is over. I fell like we need a few more books, not just Wind in the Keyhole. The story could easily, and interestingly be countinued, with little effort. Its not over for Roland, and after all the years, and all the books, he deserves closure. IMHO. I would love to see 8 9 10, three more books. The ground work and platform is there, expansion of the story has some very compelling ammunition on its side. Time travel, deja vu aspects for roland could play heavy on it, were the reader knows the truth, but Roland dosnt, he only fells like hes done this before, and has scattered, vivid recolections of his previous loop. Give him a proper End, wether it be Death, sacrafice, or salvation, let the man have piece.

Oh yea, BRING BACK FLAGG.

R.I.P.

echoRacer
01-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Oh yea, BRING BACK FLAGG.

Seconded.

Everything else: no, i'm sorry, but i believe the ending King provided was the right ending. If he added more books that would continue the quest, it would ruin the series as a whole. :ninja:

DoctorDodge
01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I agree with echoRacer. The story's essentially over and done with. Any continuation would undo the importance of all the other character's resolutions and would very probably suck, too. I've seen way too many series that just got dragged on for too long and ruined any potential for a truly great ending in the process.

After my dad finished the series, I asked what he thought of the ending, and he basically said, "Well, it couldn't have ended any other way, could it?" And it's true: any real revelation of what Roland found at the top of the Tower would never have met our expectations. The series is over and done with, and I'm glad of it.

Although Flagg should return at some point. He's just too cool a villain to remain dead forever!

BillyxRansom
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I disagree with Dodge and Racer. It just isn't a fair way to end a 30-year-long endeavor. I don't know. King (and obviously many fans) don't feel that way, but I just can't help but think it is not fair. Eddie and Susannah and Jake's quest may be over, but Roland is still out there! He just is! We can't stop now (this is bat country)!:panic:

Letti
01-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Lowmen45, if you feel like meeting Roland again read Little Sisters if Eluria. It's a very good short story of SK.

echoRacer
01-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Don't get me wrong Billy, i believe the same as you do, i want to hear more about Roland and his quest and how it ultimately ends, i think all of us tower junkies do, but i don't think that's an option, King just wont do it. He said it himself, the story is now done. I guess we can look forward to the side stories though, as Letti said, LSOE was great, and i myself am greatly looking forward to The Wind through the Keyhole.

CrimsonMordred
01-29-2010, 06:48 PM
That's why I'm suggesting to open an RPG... so we could do our own stories and how they end with our own creativity.

SynysterSaint
01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
I disagree with Dodge and Racer. It just isn't a fair way to end a 30-year-long endeavor. I don't know. King (and obviously many fans) don't feel that way, but I just can't help but think it is not fair. Eddie and Susannah and Jake's quest may be over, but Roland is still out there! He just is! We can't stop now (this is bat country)!:panic:

The ending of the series was crucial for the story. The ending was supposed to be open-ended so as to be left up to your own interpretation. What happens to Roland isn't concrete; this gives The Dark Tower the complexity and mystic that earned it its popularity with The Gunslinger. It also teaches you something about yourself: however you believe Roland's life is continued says a lot about yourself as a person. It's a learning experience. Changing the ending would change the meaning of the Tower. Trying to continue it is just an insult to SK.

I appreciate your F&L reference, by the way. Thompson is one of my favorite authors.