PDA

View Full Version : New Artist

Lowmen45
12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Here I will post some new drawings, as well as upload all my work to the Members Gallery, and the Fan Art section. Or, you can view them all through my personal Album on my profile. quickest way. When I finished editing the roughs I upload, Ill post here with the preview of it. Thank you for looking. Peace.

Daghain
12-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I think Kinko's might have a scanner - have you thought of purchasing one? I have a printer/scanner combo that only cost about $100 and does really well.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff!

Lowmen45
12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
My latest drawings are few concepts and a final of the Low Men. Mainly pertaining to the "Priest Tale" sections of Wolves of The Calla.

My question is this:

In the descriptions , it leaves alittle to the imagination, and interp. of the person reading. I invisioned the low Men as having "Micheal Meyers-Like" rubbery masks. The eyes sunking back into the mask, behind dark hole cutouts in the rubber. Also, large Lips, fake looking, with wrinkles in the rubber, obviously fake at close range. Large necks, because of the semitry of the creatures beneath the mask (RAT_MEn can toi). Basically, at a distance you probably couldnt tell, but sence something is off with them. like seeing a burn victim from a far distance, and not quite been able to figure what your looking at, but sencing somethings off. The hole at the top of the forehead of cource, and always wearing flashy, heavy colors, and other garmets/hats, to cover up. Long billed hats to hide there eyes/face from close inspection. My drawings of them are as described above, scary, errie looking masked men, up close.

I just started book seven, but to this point , this is what ive gotten from the descriptions Ive read. I want to be acurate in my potrayal of these creatures, what do you think of my interpretation of them?

Mark
12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
WOuld it be possible to see the drawings at all? I have an image in my mind, I want to see if your images match mine.

candy
12-19-2009, 05:42 PM
like seeing a burn victim from a far distance, and not quite been able to figure what your looking at, but sencing somethings off. ?

this is what i always pictured, not sure if its the norm?:orely:

Delacroix
12-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Lowmen, what you're saying here is very interesting :)

To scan your drawings the best way, you have to go on the scanners scanning setting and choose the highest dpi rate possible. To have an idea, the basic quality needed for Internet is 72, but my mother's scanner goes up to 12 000 dpi!
A drawing scanned with such quality would need 2 screens to be displayed correctly ^^. If you're worry about details, you just have to make sure the dpi rate is high.

Then I think your drawing would be saved as a file you can move from a usb device to a hardrive. I looks very simple to me, unless I missed something you said :orely:

I'd be glad to see what you have in store as soon as possible though. :panic:

Lowmen45
12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, found my scanner, got all my recent pics scan at 1200dpi, . There perfect clear, and Im editing them now. I have to obviously resize them for upload here; /Ive never uploaded drawings for edit before, so I was surprized to see how much memory they were after i scaned them. One drawing was around 400mb. Ive resized them to around 1-3mb a piece, but I can go lower. I need to know a few things, When im saving the resized images, as "save AS" , it ask me what bit rate to save it as 8, 24 bit, and it ask for a dithering level 1-8? I have no idea what this means. Can someone give a brief explaination of these saved settings? Im new to picture editing, but im very computer savey, just a brief explanation will do. I want to make sure i save them at the best possible quality. Ive already resized, sharpened, and adjusted. There save as BMP. but there are other formats as well i can convert too. What is the best format?

Delacroix
12-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Ok so when you "save" a file, you replace it by its new version.
When you "save as" you create a new file with a new name that will be different from the original one. If you choose the same location and the same name as the original file, it will be replaced by the new one.

As you are creating a new fle (using "save as") the comptuer offers you a few settings such as the format and the weight of the file (in the case of a visual file).

If you choose to reduce the weight of your file, the computer will automaticaly decrease the quality of the picture until it fits the correct weight. You have no control over this and, as it was scanned with a 1200 dpi quality, the result might be a bit weird.

You can nontheless choose to upload the picture in very high quality if you have the internet it takes. Imageshack give no real limit as for the size of your picture but if you want you can resize it up to 1600x1200.

If the result happens to be terrible, then you can re-scan your drawing with a lower quality, given it's for Internet purpose.

I have no idea about which format is the best. I think the format that displays the picture excatly as it is should be fine.

I hope I helped a little.

Lowmen45
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Ok, toyed with everything, understand it now. The unlimited upload size pretty much says it all, and perhaps I should read the rules beforehand, and save people the time.:orely:

Ive uploaded some rough sketches, one unfinished color. There on general art, and Fan Art section. I wasnt sure were the appropriate place would be to put them, so I put them in both sections. Ill remove them from one or the other if needed, or if a mod sees it, fell free to remove them. Ill switch them to 1600X1200, thats a nice res. There were at something like 27000x18000, or something ridiculous size after i scanned them, dont really know why. 1200dpi?

Anyways, hope you like these sketches, Ill upload a bunch more, after I edit and finish these of cource.

Merry X.mas everyone.

Daghain
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
You should have a gallery page on here you can upload to (click on gallery at the top of the page), then you can link them in this thread and anywhere else on the site you want to. Directions for using the member gallery are here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=561), and to host offsite are here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6133). :)

Lowmen45
12-28-2009, 02:25 PM
A finished Eddie dean, in pastal, and ink outline is up in the Gallery, and my profile Album.

Im going to really work on the Plaster Man next. Im new to color, and art apps on the computer. Ive always been a pencil guy. I like oils, but they are very tedious to get the right light and detail.

Im going to pencil a rough of the Crimson King, on his balchoney, lol.

turtlex
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey Man - I grabbed a couple of your pics and put them up here.... so you can see the way to display them. Just do a quote of this to see the format.

Eddie
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/eddiePastal_B_W01021.jpg

Roland
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/Roland4.jpg

Daghain
12-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Ooh, I like the one of Eddie! Cool!

And thanks for posting those up, Pam!

Lowmen45
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I have alot of pics, thats why i uploaded them to the gallerey. There all unfinished rough drafts, except for Eddies, PASTAL version.

Oh yea, and a Oil of the Lowmen , Im not a painter, im a black and white pencil guy, so this was real hard for me. I need a Pen Tablet, I have a real hard time with the mouse, as far as lines and art go.

Lowmen45
12-31-2009, 01:29 PM
I cant seem to get this to work?. I think the lowmen one is too big. Hmmm. anyways, if you want to check out all my new stuff, just go to my album, on my profile.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=679

Tell me what you think.

Lowmen45
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Frustrating, I looked at the way youve uploaded to the post. But for some reason, when i add the link, I get a small box with an x in it, where the picture is supposed to be?:onfire:

turtlex
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, deep breath here... Did you look at the How To Links that Dags posted earlier? Or the example that I put up with the two pictures?!? Work with us here, my friend, we're trying !!! :grouphug:

I would guess, sounds like you're using the wrong address. Go to your gallery, right click on THE PICTURE and do a properties. That is the address to use and surround with the code. ( not the address in browser window )

Sir_Boomme
01-02-2010, 07:47 AM
good stuff...
really liked the eddieinkfrown and hunting callahan pics

Lowmen45
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I used the example, followed the instructions. No big deal, was just joking around.

All the pictures are easy to see anyways in the gallery and in the Fan Art section.

I was using a direct address to my pictures from my album. I noticed that your links to my pictures where different, and led to a white page, with a single one of my drawings on it. I must have tried 10 different paths trying to find the link you used. So, its in the properties, problem solved. :rose:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/The_Plaster_Man2.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/Hunting_Callahan.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/Tick_Tock_in_the_Emerald_City_0012.jpg

The res sucks here, they look better in large format. The one im working on now is JAKE VS> PLASTER. Ive got it in oil about half way, and it looks about as different as the orignal Eddie *pencil* vs. Eddie *pastal*. Jakes face and body have changed quite abit in the oil edit. Plus, Im using a Bloom sort of lighting around the hanging light bulb. This is a tough drawing to paint. Alot harder than the Lowmen. I keep thinking of the Marsten house from the old 70s Saloms lot, as I paint this. I want to nail down the decaying house, but im just learning about colors, and its kicking my ass. I post when its done. Then I want to edit Tick Tocks Revenge.

Lowmen45
01-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Plasterman , reworked in Oils, Ink, & pastal.

Happy with this one, getting better with colors. Its big, when in large view.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/The_Plaster_Man_b2.jpg

Wadda ya think?:)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-03-2010, 12:10 AM
That looks really nice, my favorite so far.

Lowmen45
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Thank you., Alittle more work on it, then Ill upload over this one. Then Tick Tock gets a major edit.

Heather19
01-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh that looks really good. Are you using a computer program to color them in?

Daghain
01-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Nice! Glad you figured out how to link them here!

Lowmen45
01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Here you go guys. I did some more too it, including a resize, may do more.

The color program im using is pretty bleak. I dont have any pro. art programs, Im just using a freeware program called dogwaffle. I dont know much about using effects or anything, so the work is tedious and slow. Im just using oil paints, and smudging/smearing colors to get the desired effect.

I might do more on this one, I seem to be learning colors alittle bit better with each time I play around with it. I could always draw in pencil, but was always affraid of coloring. Everytime I would color my b/w drawings, I would fuck them up. Should have played around with art programs and scanning long ago, but just recently got back into drawing. I usually program, and hack on my PC, now I found a new hobbie*or old one* depending on how you look at it. I really like this version of Jake and Plasterman much better than the last. Its not all the way there yet, but close. One more after this.

Thank you for you complements., havnt drawn in years, at least not in a motivated way.:)

make sure to check it out in large view, looks much better in the higher res.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/plasterman002.jpg

Lowmen45
01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Retitled "Horror of Dutch Hill"

Done with screwing with it, time to move on to Tick Tock and OZ.
Hope you like the edits, changed the curtains, added lights, and tweaked detailing. Wanna keep going, but i think its good the way it is, more stuff will crowed it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/507/medium/The_Horror_of_Dutch_Hill_small.jpg

Daghain
01-06-2010, 10:25 AM
I like it!