Just in from Grant:

DARK TOWER VIII

Stephen King has announced that he has an idea for a new Dark
Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND
THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book
and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months
before he is able to begin writing it.

This is all the information we have. Please do not call or email
us for further information. We don’t have any.

herbertwest
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
So far we dont know if it will be a DT VIII or DT 4.5 or whatsoever ;-)

Tassel
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Personally I'm hoping for another.. erm... 7 books!!!

So many questions need answering, at least for me!

Nerak
11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
The announcement was pulled from SK dot com. Robert didn't nkow what to call it..so DT VIII it is

herbertwest
11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Interesting then! I didnt notice that announcement though...

mae
11-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, we have a thread on this already, two actually. Hopefully, the book is just titled "The Wind Through the Keyhole", or "The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole" - no numbers.

kschneider
11-25-2009, 06:36 AM
As you all know, Stephen plans a new Dark Tower novel. Everything I read says it takes place between book 4 (Wizard and Glass) and book 5 (Wolves of the Calla). Can anyone clarify this?? I'm assuming they mean it takes place after book 4, but before book 1. It's also said to contain some very familiar Dark Tower charachters, so maybe theres some side stories in it that do take place in the time span of books 1-3?? Although, time is a funny thing in the gunslinger's world. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this??

Randall Flagg
11-25-2009, 06:58 AM
This is being discussed in the DTVIII thread here in The Oracle. I'll combine this thread with the DTVIII and rename it.

sleeplessdwarf
11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
knew this was here. feel free to delete mine. Thx.

Tatts4Life
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
I can't wait to hear more info on this when it's available. I better start setting aside money in case there ever are plans for a collectors edition.

Fred1
11-25-2009, 10:13 AM
If King does make a new DT book, firstly. Questions will be answered! Unless he wants even more explaining to do. And secondly. If it takes place before they reach The Callas but after The Wizard and Glass. Then it puts us at the time when they reach The Bear and Turtel Beam if I'm not mistaken. And that isn't exctly the place where most questions are needed answering. It's at the end. :-)

Fred1
11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
But still, some will be answered anyhow.

Merlin1958
11-25-2009, 12:11 PM
You know I may be crazy but, I distinctly remember reading an afterword or foreward back in the early 80's when I began reading DTI (It was a paperback edition I think) that SK originally envisioned the DT series as being comprised of 10 books. He also stated that he wasn't sure if he would ever finish them (at the time)!! I recall because around that time I was also reading the L Ron Hubbard Decology (I can't recall the title off hand, the one with the planet in the angry fist, sucks getting old!!) and I remember associating it with that series/book. I was also highly anxious from that point on about whether he was truly committed to finishing it which made each Hiatus and subsequent publishing that much more interesting and/or frustrating! LOL

Anyway just a little trivia or history or w/e

Merlin1958
11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
As you all know, Stephen plans a new Dark Tower novel. Everything I read says it takes place between book 4 (Wizard and Glass) and book 5 (Wolves of the Calla). Can anyone clarify this?? I'm assuming they mean it takes place after book 4, but before book 1. It's also said to contain some very familiar Dark Tower charachters, so maybe theres some side stories in it that do take place in the time span of books 1-3?? Although, time is a funny thing in the gunslinger's world. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this??

The quote from the SK site says between books 4 & 5 and yes, it does state "familiar DT characters. Of course given the DT world the actual "story" time frames can and probably are "up for grabs". There has been numerous fan speculation regarding the characters he is referring to including: Parkus, Sawyer, Danville, TMIB, Callahan (although IMHO unlikely) and many others. Obviously we won't know for sure until the man himself sees fit to clue us in or publishes it!!

Sam
11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
If King does make a new DT book, firstly. Questions will be answered! Unless he wants even more explaining to do. And secondly. If it takes place before they reach The Callas but after The Wizard and Glass. Then it puts us at the time when they reach The Bear and Turtel Beam if I'm not mistaken. And that isn't exctly the place where most questions are needed answering. It's at the end. :-)

The ka-tet reached the Bear/Turtle beam back in DTIII: The Waste Lands. They picked the beam up on the Bear side. Hence their meeting Shardik, the Bear Guardian of the Beam.

Just FYI.

Wuducynn
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I didn't know there was going to be another Dark Tower book. That's awesome...why doesn't anyone tell me these things???

MonteGss
11-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I didn't know there was going to be another Dark Tower book. That's awesome...why doesn't anyone tell me these things???

LOL.

Yeah, it's not like you started a thread about it, before this one. ;)

Brainslinger
11-30-2009, 01:34 PM
There's a new poll on the the Stephen King website requesting which book we'd prefer, Dr Sleep or the the new Dark Tower book. Credit to jhanic for posting the link in the Dr Sleep thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9650).

There's a bit more blurb there I thought would be of interest to this thread though. It's pretty small, but i'll spoilerize it anyway just in case you don't want to know anything at all.

a new Mid-World book (not directly about Roland Deschain, but yes, he and his friend Cuthbert are in it, hunting a skin-man, which are what werewolves are called in that lost kingdom

Wuducynn
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't believe Dr Sleep is winning. This must be stopped.

Brainslinger
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Argh! I can't vote! I think it's because I haven't logged onto the forums there in a long time, or my lack of posts overall. Its pretty close though.

Edit- I can't post there either! Apparently my account needs to be activated. Despite still being able to log in....

Anyway. Back to this thread, considering this new information I'm curious how it fits between books four and five. Is it just the Wizard and Glass backstory is back then? It seems more post Wizard and Glass, Mejis stuff, pre Little Sisters to me. Still, we don't know how much it might jump around in time.

nocny
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah, apparently it will be like I said at the begining, between Wizard & Glass and Sisters Of Eluria. Don't know why King is saying W&G and WotC :unsure:

gsvec
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
He said between Wastelands and W&G in Sarasota. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
"Apparently" another over-used word, apparently.

MonteGss
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Dr Sleep is the stupidest idea for a book I've heard. A "sequel" for a book never intended to have one is just plain dumb, imo.

jayson
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Dr Sleep is the stupidest idea for a book I've heard. A "sequel" for a book never intended to have one is just plain dumb, imo.

thanks monte for restoring my faith in humanity.

i'm not precisely looking forward to another dt-related book either, but yeah... dr sleep is just preposterous.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I would take or leave either one. Pretty indifferent on the subject. Right now I am enjoying Under the Dome. But I will probably read many more books by other authors than I do SK novels for awhile.

Brice
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
:nope: I want both...today.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I would read them both if they came out today. But, I'm not burning up inside to do so either.

jhanic
12-01-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm curious about what King has in store for Danny in Dr. Sleep.

John

Merlin1958
12-01-2009, 09:17 AM

i'm not precisely looking forward to another dt-related book either, but yeah... dr sleep is just preposterous.

I have always wondered (as I am sure many Constant Readers have) what happened to Danny post-overlook. He was such a great character, so powerful and so young you almost "have to" wonder what happened to him as time went on. Same with Charlie. To think that either character went on to live uneventful, non-storied lives is "preposterous".

Also, I don't think he intends a "sequel" per se, but more of a "further adventures" kind of thing like Talisman/Black House, which can and do stand as seperate novels, not necessarily books I & II. While I'm sure there will be references to the Overlook (much like the few Talisman references in BH), one may be read without requiring the reading of the other. Unless, of course you read the Shining and want more Danny Torrance.

Just MHO, of course. :orely:

I also think the premise sounds cool and interesting. That Danny would eventually come to use his ability to help the sick and elderly move on in a more peaceful manner. Seems like a very logical progression for the kid who went through the Overlook ordeal. Of course, in the SK world it could only be smooth sailing for a limited time-frame!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

cozener
12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow...I'm not sure which book I'd like to see more. Honestly, I'd rather King just revise the last three DT books than add more story. On the other hand, I've always wanted Danny to have more story. (actually, I feel Danny could have made a great DT character. I know its blasphemous but I always thought that it would have been great if Danny was "the boy" in DT instead of Jake)

Brice
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Coz:

:shoot:

Son of Paul
12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Maybe between W&G and WotC means exactly that. Not the backstory of W&G, but the castle scene with Flagg. His reference to Roland and Cuthbert could be backstory within a story.

Tatts4Life
12-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Coz:

HAHAHAHA

cozener
12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Coz:

:excited:

velcro_fly
12-03-2009, 08:51 AM
What if this new Dark Tower was a revamped version of the last three novels. Does anyone else want to know what would change, now that Roland possesses the Horn of Eld.

JameseyLefebure
12-18-2009, 02:52 AM

I have always wondered (as I am sure many Constant Readers have) what happened to Danny post-overlook. He was such a great character, so powerful and so young you almost "have to" wonder what happened to him as time went on. Same with Charlie. To think that either character went on to live uneventful, non-storied lives is "preposterous".

Also, I don't think he intends a "sequel" per se, but more of a "further adventures" kind of thing like Talisman/Black House, which can and do stand as seperate novels, not necessarily books I & II. While I'm sure there will be references to the Overlook (much like the few Talisman references in BH), one may be read without requiring the reading of the other. Unless, of course you read the Shining and want more Danny Torrance.

Just MHO, of course. :orely:

I also think the premise sounds cool and interesting. That Danny would eventually come to use his ability to help the sick and elderly move on in a more peaceful manner. Seems like a very logical progression for the kid who went through the Overlook ordeal. Of course, in the SK world it could only be smooth sailing for a limited time-frame!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

I agree with you :) I mentioned it in another thread about Dr.Sleep. That it wouldn't end up being a direct sequel but more like Talisman/Black House - both of which I thought were amazing so i'm sure SK will blow us all away with the new Dr. Sleep - but saying that if i had to chose - it would be a new Dark Tower book allllllll the way!!

Jamesey
xx

Sam
12-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Has anyone considered that this tale might actually tell the fate of Thomas and Dennis from EotD?

Brainslinger
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Has anyone considered that this tale might actually tell the fate of Thomas and Dennis from EotD?

I wondered about that, yes. It's interesting that Stephen King states that Roland and Cuthbert appear in the book but they aren't the main characters. So... who is? ;)

Wuducynn
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM

I wondered about that, yes. It's interesting that Stephen King states that Roland and Cuthbert appear in the book but they aren't the main characters. So... who is? ;)

No I hadn't. Good call. :harrier:

Malice
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I was wanting another DT series outlining the early years of Roland up to jericho hill. I loved Cuthbert in W&G and would enjoy seeing him up to his usual mischief. I know the comics are out there but I want the books dammit!

jhanic
12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Just because the comics are out, I seriously doubt we'll ever see novels written covering the same ground.

John

Tatts4Life
12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
fuck that reminds me I need to go to my comic store and pick up several months worth I keep forgetting to pick up.

echoRacer
01-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Extremely excited for this...i sincerely hope that "keyhole" wins.
I do wonder who the main characters will be though...

Brainslinger
01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I think the other one has already won.

But there's a good chance 'Keyhole' will still be written. It's just an order thing.

echoRacer
01-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Ah well, maybe it will convince me enough to read the Shining.

jhanic
01-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Read The Shining! It's one of King's masterworks!

(I'm currently in the process of rereading it and it's even better than I remembered it!)

I'm really looking forward to Dr. Sleep.

John

echoRacer
01-25-2010, 04:27 AM
I shall borrow it from my friend when i see him next, i know he owns a copy :idea:

jwill
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Theres a part in wizard and glass at the end when susannah is asking about the pink ball and Roland says when he woke up (after killing his mother) it was gone. the belt that his mother had made was still there and he put it on.

Then he says "I wore that bloodstained gift for many years, and how i lost it is a tale for another day- I'll tell it to you before we have done, for it bears on my quest fo the Tower."

I thought that maybe this could be what wizard and glass but who knows, i guess it could just be tower junkie speculation

DanishCollector
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
In Eyes of the Dragon, there's a guard named Curran that we were told had a story that would be told for another day...so far, that hadn't happened

flaggwalkstheline
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Theres a part in wizard and glass at the end when susannah is asking about the pink ball and Roland says when he woke up (after killing his mother) it was gone. the belt that his mother had made was still there and he put it on.

Then he says "I wore that bloodstained gift for many years, and how i lost it is a tale for another day- I'll tell it to you before we have done, for it bears on my quest fo the Tower."

I thought that maybe this could be what wizard and glass but who knows, i guess it could just be tower junkie speculation

I somehow assumed the little sisters of eluria had taken it

CrimsonMordred
02-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Okay, just browsing through the thread. So I am to understand that we don't know which books it will take place in between? Then why has King been confusing everyone every time he changes his mind. This isn't like King, he doesn't usually announce new books until he has it fairly fixated in his mind. I'm not sure but that's what I gathered.

Brainslinger
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
He has stated it's set between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. (I think.) However, since it features Roland and Cuthbert chasing a werewolf I suspect, like Wizard, it will be largely set in the past, so after the background stuff of Wizard -which granted is most of that book- and before The Gunslinger. That seems to be a contradiction, but if sections of the book are set in different times like Wizard, that would explain things.

That's obviously me just guessing though. The ambiguity could simply due to the fact we don't know all the facts rather than King not being clear.

On the other hand maybe King really doesn't know for sure himself yet, or didn't when he first mentioned the idea. His preferred mode of writing is in the order in which we read it, so he is effectively telling himself the story as it goes along.

Even if he has a good idea what will happen, he doesn't always know all that will happen. Look at the DT books for example. He mentions in his message at the back of (I think) Wizard that the lads from Eye of the Dragon would play a part, but where are they?

Lily Cavanaugh
02-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I read another 'Constant Reader's' thoughts on this book, and loved them. He suggested that possibly SK was going to tell us that everything after book 4 was basically a 'psych!' -- that they were all still stuck in the Wizards Rainbow...and so the story is actually yet to be told, and we still need another three books to *really* finish the series.

Yeah. Probably not. I liked the idea, though.

Brainslinger
02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
I think a lot of Tower Junkies would be really miffed if that turned out to be the case.

I'm sure it won't.

Lily Cavanaugh
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I suppose that a lot of Tower Junkies would be pissed, but then, a lot of them are already pissed at the way some things went, so...

I didn't hate it as much as some people did, but it'd be kindof cool to get a do-over. ;)

DocPain
03-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I'd like to see the story of Eddie, Jake, Odetta, Oy and maybe even Roland on the other side.

Ageless Stranger
03-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I love All-World, and hope King writes this story so we can all enjoy it. I would read of Cuthbert and Roland with much enjoyment. Also of Thomas and Dennis.

Brice
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I still suspect he wouldn't have mentioned this or Dr. Sleep publicly if he wasn't already finished or at least certain of finishing in the very near future. I am thinking we get one or both in 2011. That's just a guess of course though.

Ageless Stranger
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty new to the King universe. Over the course of the last 2 years or so I've collected and read about 18 of his books. A few of which, including the Dark Tower series, I've read twice. I'm scared to admit that I'm not at all familiar with Dr. Sleep. Sounds ominous though.

jhanic
03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Dr. Sleep is supposed to be concerned with Danny Torrance (The Shining) after he is grown.

John

Ageless Stranger
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh, guess I better read The Shining first. Huh?

Brainslinger
03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, guess I better read The Shining first. Huh?

It can't hurt! That being said, I think Dr Sleep (or whatever it is finally called) will be a self contained novel based on the same character rather than an actual sequel as such. That being said, it's quite possible there'd be spoilers in there.

jhanic
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree--I don't think it will be a "sequel" to The Shining. That's why, in my post above, I was very careful to say that it may "be concerned" with Danny, but not a sequel. We'll see, I'm sure!

John

Brice
03-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking it's not a sequel, but you should still go read The Shining.:D

MonteGss
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
As long as DT VIII has nothing to do with Susan Delgado, I'll be excited for it. :)

disel24
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Food for thought, SK has also mentioned that the Tailman is a trilogy with a third book already thought out but not written yet...

so technically there's 2 other DT books.

Brice
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, I can hardly wait for that. :excited:

Monte: It's 7 volumes of Susan stories cowritten by King and Danielle Steele. :couple:

MonteGss
03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Monte: It's 7 volumes of Susan stories cowritten by King and Danielle Steele. :couple:

800 more pages of "Oh Will, I love thee" or "Roland, please love me."
:pullhair::shoot::lol:

Brice
03-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Oh no, Monte! EACH volume will be no less than a thousand pages.

disel24
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I heard that it's going to be called, "Tower's Rose: Legend of Susan Delgado"

MonteGss
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Gawd. If that's the case then please let the Gawd-Bombs fall! :lol:

Ricky
03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
It's 7 volumes of Susan stories cowritten by King and Danielle Steele.

So THAT'S the meaning of 2012.

Ben Eads
03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
:panic:I too have been wondering what DT8 will cover. Roland's story is told. My question is, why visit the past? We have W&G and we have comics and graphic novels that do that.

King being involved in that may have sparked an interest, however I find that a weak idea for starting another DT novel, especially after King and everyone else said "The Last Dark Tower Book is Volume 7".

If it does take place between volume 4 and LSOE, then I'll be happy. Again, Roland's story has been told. What more do we need to know? LOL.

I wonder about the sequel to "Black House" as well.

I guess none of us will know for sure until King makes an official update.

dubrosa22
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Roland's story has been told. What more do we need to know? LOL.

Very true. Roland's story has been definitely told.

I would hate for the DT series to go the way of the Dune series where every possible hole in the chronology is plugged with superfluous rehashing detail. The hole was there in the first place cos it was a boring unnecessary point in the story anyway! :pullhair: But that's what you get when the successor takes the reins - not necessarily the case here. King won't go rehashing anything I should think.

Sure, I would love to see Cuthbert and Roland chasing or being chased by werewolves or whatever adventure they might pursue, however the end has been reached and therefore the danger and suspense is not there as it was with DTIV.

Still it would be pretty awesome... :cowboy:

Brainslinger
03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
If it does take place between volume 4 and LSOE, then I'll be happy. Again, Roland's story has been told. What more do we need to know?

From the blurb I've read (which might change of course, the book not being written yet, ideas can change) Roland and Cuthbert will be secondary characters. So it very well might not be Roland's story although it's in the same world.

Of course that raises the question, who will be the main characters?
I'm happy to find out. I'm sure there's plenty of stories that can be told in that world. And others near by.

Ben Eads
03-12-2010, 12:57 PM
If it does take place between volume 4 and LSOE, then I'll be happy. Again, Roland's story has been told. What more do we need to know?

From the blurb I've read (which might change of course, the book not being written yet, ideas can change) Roland and Cuthbert will be secondary characters. So it very well might not be Roland's story although it's in the same world.

Of course that raises the question, who will be the main characters?
I'm happy to find out. I'm sure there's plenty of stories that can be told in that world. And others near by.

I totally agree. There are a myriad of possibilities for sure. I can't wait! :)

NowhereMan2727
03-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Just in from Grant:

DARK TOWER VIII

Stephen King has announced that he has an idea for a new Dark
Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND
THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book
and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months
before he is able to begin writing it.

This is all the information we have. Please do not call or email
us for further information. We don’t have any.

Is this for real?!

mae
03-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Yes, welcome to a few months ago ;)

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole

pathoftheturtle
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Very true. Roland's story has been definitely told.Well, I'm not satisfied. With the way SK made TDT encompass all of his other work (and, basically, all other fiction) can it ever really be ended? I'm glad, for one, that he's still adding to it.

Ben Eads
03-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Very true. Roland's story has been definitely told.Well, I'm not satisfied. With the way SK made TDT encompass all of his other work (and, basically, all other fiction) can it ever really be ended? I'm glad, for one, that he's still adding to it.

Me too! :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the story continue...it kind of has to continue, right? All stories serve the beam. ; )

I'm specifically referencing, Roland. Of him, what hasn't been covered? We have TDT novels themselves, the comics which bridge the gap between Wizard and Glass and The Little Sisters of Eluria. I think the only part of Roland's life that hasn't been covered is when he was in utero.

Like all the other fans, I'm dying to read the next DT novel. I can't wait to see where the story will go and what new characters are awaiting us.

Can I get an amen? LOL. :dance:

Sickrose
03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Say GAWDBOMB

Ben Eads
03-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Say GAWDBOMB

ROFL.

Blaine Da Pain
03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm feeling sort of mixed about this. Although I would LOVE a new DT book, I feel the saga is complete as is, and another novel might be overkill. On the other hand, if he has a truly new angle on the story arc, then I would definitely check it out..

Brainslinger
03-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I think that's what it will be. I think the main story is told. This is just an extra story set in that universe. (At least that's how I understand it.) Considering the history of Mid-World and the things experienced by Roland alone, I think there's plenty of scope for that.

I noticed that the history in the comics jumps forward 9 years (I think), a time where Roland and his ka-tet were wandering in search of the Tower after the fall of Gilead before returning to fight the battle of Jericho Hill.

The mention of Roland and Cuthbert suggests it happened in that time period. Although I guess it could have happened before even then. (The comics tend to rush through things making things happen faster than the impression given in the books. If we even accept them as 'true'.*)

*I mostly do, but with reservations.

Baks
05-13-2010, 02:05 AM
I personally love it if it would be another flashback book of Roland's past to be honest.

We still don't know a lot of what happened to Roland after his mother and Susan's death in Wizard and Glasss.

We dunno how exactly Gilead fell, the death of Roland's father and what exactly led up to the events of Jericho hill.

Not to mention the very important matter of exactly why Roland started chasing after Walter in the first place.

All these questions have to yet be answered satisfactorily imo.

Plus also in Wizard and Glass, Roland did mention he did see Rhea again so maybe this will covered in this book as well.

velcro_fly
05-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Have you checked out the comics? They tell some of the back story.

Mike Beck
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I say it's unnecessary, and i'm calling bogus on this new DT book.

1. His story has already been told, as others here have stated.

2. Roland and Cuthbert as side characters, with different characters as the focus? That's like expecting "The Lone Gunmen" to be as good as "The X-files." Well, poop on that business, I say!

3. If any one needs their story told, it's the Crimson King, dammit! Gimme a story centering around him and his race to the Tower, and I'll buy that stuff up immediately.

4. I love the young Roland stories(the comics are excellent), but i'm tired of that era. I like the wasted, broken down world we came to know from the books.

that's it, i guess. :unsure:

Ben Eads
05-14-2010, 02:16 PM

2. Roland and Cuthbert as side characters, with different characters as the focus? That's like expecting "The Lone Gunmen" to be as good as "The X-files." Well, poop on that business, I say!

3. If any one needs their story told, it's the Crimson King, dammit! Gimme a story centering around him and his race to the Tower, and I'll buy that stuff up immediately.

4. I love the young Roland stories(the comics are excellent), but i'm tired of that era. I like the wasted, broken down world we came to know from the books.

that's it, i guess. :unsure:

Interesting point. I can't wait to see where this is going.

pathoftheturtle
05-15-2010, 11:10 AM

2. Roland and Cuthbert as side characters, with different characters as the focus? That's like expecting "The Lone Gunmen" to be as good as "The X-files." Well, poop on that business, I say! ...What a crappy attitude.

I still say that the big point of what we've been told about his story is that it's never really done. Readers wanted a definitive ending, and I think that King wanted them satisfied, but that he didn't really want to close the book on Roland. Yet folken still think that that is what they got. When you're tired and don't care no more, then that's the end, for you. Don't be a bitter crab to the rest of us, though.

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM
It probably is unnecessary, in the same way that "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and the Marvel comics were unnecessary.

That doesn't stop one from enjoying them, though--learning some more about the characters and the world.

I don't know if I'll like it or not but I definitely plan to read the book when it comes out.

velcro_fly
05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
It probably is unnecessary, in the same way that "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and the Marvel comics were unnecessary.

That doesn't stop one from enjoying them, though--learning some more about the characters and the world.

I don't know if I'll like it or not but I definitely plan to read the book when it comes out.

Exactly, I can never get enough Roland. The more we get of him and the dark tower, just builds the character and helps us to understand him and his world that much better.

If any one needs their story told, it's the Crimson King, dammit! Gimme a story centering around him and his race to the Tower, and I'll buy that stuff up immediately.
That is a fantastic idea!:thumbsup:

pathoftheturtle
05-15-2010, 12:32 PM

I don't know if I'll like it or not but I definitely plan to read the book when it comes out.Strictly speaking, is anything ever absolutely necessary?

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't know if I'll like it or not but I definitely plan to read the book when it comes out.Strictly speaking, is anything ever absolutely necessary?

God?

Seriously, though, I meant in the context of "necessary to understand and appreciate The Dark Tower series", meaning the seven volumes Stephen King wrote.

pathoftheturtle
05-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Circular argument. The point here is that Stephen King intends to write an eighth volume. My question is, "What foundation has the meaning and context you refer to that so logically must exclude this intended addition from joining the existent ones upon that pedestal?" :orely:

Lisey Landon
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
After the vote on the SKMB, with The Shining sequel winning, what's the news on The Wind Through The Keyhole now?

jhanic
10-11-2010, 12:16 PM
If I remember correctly, Ms Mod said King isn't working on either currently.

John

Darkthoughts
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
All I want is news that he's writing T3!!! :D

Chap
10-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a feeling this will be about the forming of the Tet Corporation and their struggle against Sombra/NCP.
Either that or maybe the two from The Eyes of the Dragon (forgot their names) who are chasing Flagg?

Oh wait, I just read it would be a mid-world book. Guess that means my first idea is out the window :P

Brainslinger
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a feeling this will be about the forming of the Tet Corporation and their struggle against Sombra/NCP.
Either that or maybe the two from The Eyes of the Dragon (forgot their names) who are chasing Flagg?

Oh wait, I just read it would be a mid-world book. Guess that means my first idea is out the window :P

A Tet corporation book could be interesting though, although I'm glad the next DT book won't be about that. (I'd see a Tet corp book as more of a tie in novel like Insomnia or Black House.)

I like the second idea though. I was a bit disappointed that a) Roland's crossing paths with those lads wasn't expanded on and b) they didn't turn up in the latter books... as long as it didn't come across as shoe-horned in. (Although I did feel Patrick did a bit, much as I liked the sequence and character.)

trapped in a moment
11-21-2010, 01:36 AM
I think it will involve Callahan, The Crimson King and Walter since Callahan mentioned that he visited Crimson King's Castle during his journey on the book 5. Also this can make up the complaints about the short appearance of antagonist on the book 7.

Brainslinger
11-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I think it will involve Callahan, The Crimson King and Walter since Callahan mentioned that he visited Crimson King's Castle during his journey on the book 5. Also this can make up the complaints about the short appearance of antagonist on the book 7.

I'd like that! I've often thought it curious King never related that particular aspect of Callahan's story. I wondered if he actually forgot it after mentioning it... or at least intended to write about it before changing his mind.

I don't think it will be about Callahan though. Mainly as it's mentioned that Roland and Cuthbert make an appearance chasing a skin-changer. (Werewolf.)

corey7sl
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
All I want is news that he's writing T3!!! :D

A HUGE YES to this!!! I'm very excited about a new Dark Tower book but T3 is what I'm really waiting on!

Back to the new DT book. I hope it's a long novel. I really enjoyed reading the longer DT novels and getting lost in the world.

CaptHowdy
01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Does anyone think it could be about Sheemie and what happens to him after hi arrives in Gilead?

Brainslinger
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Does anyone think it could be about Sheemie and what happens to him after hi arrives in Gilead?

That is covered to some extent in the later prequel comics and the upcoming one-shot 'Sheemie's Tale' but I wouldn't be surprised if he featured in the new book.

CaptHowdy
01-06-2011, 04:31 AM
I think so too. We never got to "see" him use his power that much in the books. And there's a long gap between the comics and when we meet him in the 7:th book.

Delah
01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
If its done in a flashback sense, like Wizard and Glass, where we get some glimpses of the ka-tet but mostly a story of Roland's past, what would you like to see from Roland, Eddie, Jake, or Susannah?

I'd really, really like to see a short scene of Roland training Jake how to shoot; Jake can suddenly shoot plates out of the sky in Wolves, but we never get to see Roland actually train him. Training Jake, of course, could remind Roland of memories of his own training (Cort, etc) and might lead into the story.

Barlowe
01-19-2011, 02:02 AM
The main character could also be Jack Sawyer from The Talisman / Black House? It would tie in wonderfully, a third Talisman book mixed with The Dark Tower.

Also, in Black House he is told about Roland and his tet by Speedy, and who can forget that Jack had a friend of a certain, shall we say, lycanthropic persuasion? This would also tie in well with Roland and Cuthbert chasing a skin-changer...Plus, finaly spoiler'ish point, by the end of Blach House, Jack Sawyer is restricted to being in The Territories, because returning to our world would kill him.

Merlin1958
01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
The main character could also be Jack Sawyer from The Talisman / Black House? It would tie in wonderfully, a third Talisman book mixed with The Dark Tower.

Also, in Black House he is told about Roland and his tet by Speedy, and who can forget that Jack had a friend of a certain, shall we say, lycanthropic persuasion? This would also tie in well with Roland and Cuthbert chasing a skin-changer...Plus, finaly spoiler'ish point, by the end of Blach House, Jack Sawyer is restricted to being in The Territories, because returning to our world would kill him.

I really like that angle, Barlowe!!!! Great thought!!!! It would be a great tie-in and basis for a DT book not excatly about the Ka-Tet. Nice going!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

costanza
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I can't wait for more Jackie boy but Ms. Mod at the main site has said a few times that this isn't it.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/18226-3rd-Installment/page2

Barlowe
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM

I really like that angle, Barlowe!!!! Great thought!!!! It would be a great tie-in and basis for a DT book not excatly about the Ka-Tet. Nice going!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why thank you :D

I can't wait for more Jackie boy but Ms. Mod at the main site has said a few times that this isn't it.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/18226-3rd-Installment/page2

Oh well :p but guessing until we get the definite answer is fun as well :P

Roland of Gilead 33
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
i actaully haven't read either of those books yet. but it would make sense of Jack at some point showed up in the new "DT" book though i haven't finished the series, from what i read i wonder why he didn't put "Jack Sawyer" in any of the "DT" books? it's kinda a shame that it's over cause it would have been perfect for him & "Peter Straub" to do a 3rd book & have it melt into if that's the right word i'm looking for i'm not sure?

but have it end on jack sawyer entering Roland's world & joining Roland & everyone on the quest for the tower. from what i read on here.

i think he should also add more background with Rolands father in it. & have roland find out if he knew more than he was letting on.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
let me add that since i haven't read the whole series yet, that i dunno if any of that would make any sense to what was later told in the story.

Merlin1958
01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd bet that it has something to do with "dual" ownership/copyright of the character "Jack Sawyer" between Straub & King.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
you are prolly right. that's prolly more to the truth than anything.

michaelgunslinger
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
i was reading the other day that king has stated the new book will not be about roland so much as alain and cuthbert. which to me is a huge disapointment if that is the case with the way the series ended i want to know what could possibly go next.

Brainslinger
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
i was reading the other day that king has stated the new book will not be about roland so much as alain and cuthbert. which to me is a huge disapointment if that is the case with the way the series ended i want to know what could possibly go next.

From what I understand, it will be a prequel of sorts* so 'going next' won't really apply. I don't remember Alain and Cuthbert being mentioned but I have had mention that Cuthbert and Roland make an appearance chasing a werewolf, but that they would largely be secondary characters to the plot. Of course it hasn't been written yet (as far as I'm aware) so this could all change.

*I believe it is actually mentioned to be set between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla, but I forget. I get the impression it will be largely backflash material though.

Tito_Villa
02-08-2011, 09:36 AM
I would love to read of anything from Roland's world!

Roland of Gilead 33
02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
yes that i believe is correct. it'd make sense if it was aimed toward his original Ka-Tet. hell the guy could write 10 more in the series & i'd love him even more! :) on the IMDB boards they have people saying that he's sold out & ya da ya da ya da. on how he's planning on doing this & dr. sleep.

i don't think of it that way. i was thinking today at work at some point. on how many clues "SK" gave on how the end of the series gave. & it's unreal that nobody really thought to much about them. for example when Roland is talking to the demon in the 1st book in the woods i believe it said something along the lines of you have been here before. but don't remember it. or something along the lines of that. anyways so that's a clue.

in short, anyways where did you get this info on having the book just about 'Alain & Cuthbert" ? i've heard nothing about it, just that as is stated before. they will be in it, & it'll be about werewolves

just that. sorry for going off topic a bit.

Merlin1958
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Werewolves huh? I wonder if that's Werewolves as in "WOLF!!, you're the herd now, Jackie-boy"!!!!

:orely:

Roland of Gilead 33
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
i get it that 'Jack Nicholson" movie? i thought that film was crap. but i think it'd be interesting to see a different take on werewolves from "King'

pixiedark76
02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

From what I understand, it will be a prequel of sorts* so 'going next' won't really apply. I don't remember Alain and Cuthbert being mentioned but I have had mention that Cuthbert and Roland make an appearance chasing a werewolf, but that they would largely be secondary characters to the plot. Of course it hasn't been written yet (as far as I'm aware) so this could all change.

*I believe it is actually mentioned to be set between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla, but I forget. I get the impression it will be largely backflash material though.

I am wondering if it involves the characters Dennis and Thomas form "Eyes of the Dragon?"

pixiedark76
02-10-2011, 03:25 PM
At the end of "Eyes of The Dragon" Dennis and Thomas went on a journey to find and try to kill Flagg. I wonder if Wind Through the Keyhole is about this journey?

Ben Staad
02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I know SK mentioned at an event in Sarasota a few years ago (Under the Dome event) and he was very vague about the story. I really could care less as long as it involves any part of the Gunslinger world. I am completely tripping for more tales from Midworld.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
well said Sai. well said. though having the kids who my guess would be adults in the next book would i think be interesting as well. that's actually one book i've never read

Bev Vincent
03-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

Steve King

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/announcement/

Tito_Villa
03-10-2011, 07:56 AM
OMG OMG OMG thats great news, thanks for bringing it up Bev!

Bev Vincent
03-10-2011, 08:08 AM
On SKMB, Ms. Mod sez: "Within the next couple of days (maybe today, but that's iffy), we'll be putting up a poll for fans to tell us who they might like to illustrate the book. There will be a few new names there as well."

Ben Staad
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Hooray! This is awesome news and I literally can not wait.:excited::clap::excited:

jhanic
03-10-2011, 08:35 AM
YESSSS!!!!!!

Ms Mod also said the book is looking for a 2012 publication date.

John

ICry4Oy
03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
*****faints****** :excited:

mae
03-10-2011, 09:15 AM
YES YES YES

MOAR!

KindredAutmn
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
DAAAAAAAAAAAMN *_*

Delah
03-10-2011, 09:31 AM
That news makes my day. Nah, it makes my month. The Wind Through The Keyhole always seemed like a distant pipedream, so to hear that its coming out next year is *wonderful*.

And the teaser makes me want the book right now -- why is Oy more susceptible to the storm? Is it simply his size? More news about Jamie, the fourth figure of Roland's original ka-tet we never got to see much of? Woo-hoo!

Brian James Freeman
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
AWESOME news!!

Brian

mae
03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Love the rapid-fire announcements. First "11/22/63" last Wednesday, and now eight days later, this. Next week: a new collection! :excited:

mae
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I think it's a safe bet that material from TWTTK (nice acronym?) will be incorporated into the DT movies and/or TV series.

Bev Vincent
03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Ms. Mod says they have the manuscript but it remains to be seen whether they will use it or not.

CyberGhostface
03-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I have to admit to being a little disappointed. I was hoping for something with a bit more "relevance" to the larger mythology--like what happened to Rhea for example--as opposed to a stand-alone adventure with Roland and friends. I'm much more interested in reading King's novel about Kennedy tbh.

velcro_fly
03-10-2011, 10:45 AM
More Mid-World? YES PLEASE!:excited:

johnny39
03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
2011 will be a very. long. year.

RainInSpain
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
WOW!
That's about all I can say at the moment :)

DanishCollector
03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe we will know what happened to Rhea since this new book is taking place between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. Could mayhap be Roland isn't done telling his ka-tet about the olden days.

Brainslinger
03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
And there I was thinking that Mr.Sleep* would come first and this one would be about 2-3 years later, and it's actually been written!

I'll admit, I feel a bit apprehensive, but I am also very glad. Apprehensive in that it seems to involve events that happen between books, where it was stated in Wolves... that very little had happened, except time had gone more funny and the Ka-tet member (barring Roland and probably Oy) were obsessing over the number '19'.)

That's not to say other stuff didn't happen first, I'm just a bit worried about contradictions. If a lot happened, why wasn't it mentioned? (The obvious real reason is that Mr King hadn't thought it up yet, but I'm talking from an in-world point of view.) If it were more of a back-flash type story (which is what I originally thought) then that wouldn't matter so much. We know Roland told the ka-tet other stuff that doesn't appear on the page. There's that business about the walking waters and Little Sisters** for example.

On the other hand, we don't know that a lot of this won't be back-flash stuff. (I get the impression Mr King has changed his mind somewhat in what it will be about, but he's done that before. Or maybe I should say his 'Beam receptors' were a bit.. fuzzy...;) . And the softness in time and space in that world does perhaps allow for an insertion into the time-line.

As I said though, I am glad. It will be great to step back into Mid-World again and find out a bit more about Jamie De Curry. And who's to say Rhea won't turn up? (EDIT- Danish beat me to it. That's what I get for waffling.) Or even a certain wizard for that matter. (Yes I know that may contradict things mentioned in the later books, but it all depends on the context.)

All these worries and questions (I'll admit, only really expressed by me. Not meaning to be the negative Nigel, I really am looking forward to the new book!). Lets just see what he writes. (I seem to like most of King's output, so I'm certainly hopeful.)

As for Oy and the wind (cut down on the Gunslinger Burrittos,hyuk, hyuk!) , I'm thinking maybe it will be a Dorothy and Toto state of affairs... Now that's got me a bit worried again... ooh I'm fickle...

*Or whatever it's called... I'm sure I've got that name wrong- the new one about the kid from the Shining all grown up, is what I mean.

**We know that story too, but we weren't there when Roland told it to his ka-tet.

fernandito
03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes ! There is a Gan.

pathoftheturtle
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
2011 will be a very. long. year.Well, not as bad as 1992.

*Or whatever it's called... I'm sure I've got that name wrong- the new one about the kid from the Shining all grown up, is what I mean. Dr. Sleep.

Bev Vincent
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
The artist poll (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/21090-Which-artist-would-you-like-to-have-illustrate-The-Wind-Through-the-Keyhole) is open

mae
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I really like Giancola. Very beautiful artwork. Don't want anyone that already illustrated other DT books. Let's have a fresh take.

DanishCollector
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I voted for Giancola too. He would be perfect.

nocny
03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I wanted to vote for Whelan but then I saw Giancola's works and I decided to vote for him. His artwork is fantastic and it would be nice to have someone new.
But how could you vote for him guys when my vote is the first one in the pool?? :D

EDIT: ok now I see you voted on SKMB not on sk.com ;)

Merlin1958
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
:huglove:

Jean
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Definitely McKean

Giancola is sooooooooooo sugary! Just your typical fantasy world, dragons and princesses and superheroes, a dime a dozen.

ETA: and I can't vote there, and my choice has already collected an impressive total of one vote. As usual.

ETA: I also wish Darek Kocurek was there. Maybe not better than McKean, but totally as good.

Nerak
03-11-2011, 06:29 AM
I was just coming in to tell y'all to vote...but I guess I don't have to. I will be posting the link on Facebook though!!!

nocny
03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
McKean?? Oh how I hate DT IV artworks... :D

Darek Kocurek would be great also I agree :)

mae
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I think it's kinda cool that we first learned of a new Dark Tower book in March 2009 and it was officially announced in March 2011.

http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/2009/03/stephen-king-not-done-with-his-dark-tower-series/

mae
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Giancola is sooooooooooo sugary! Just your typical fantasy world, dragons and princesses and superheroes, a dime a dozen.

Respectfully, Jean, I must disagree. I looked through his sample artwork and it's very very good. It has a nice surrealistic quality that would lend itself greatly to The Dark Tower. Plus, in my opinion, I prefer the more realistic-looking artwork, such as his, to the more abstract used previously.

Look at this, for instance:
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/shamanslossb.html
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/darwinb.html
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/doandroidsdreamloversb.html
http://www.donatoart.com/sf/2001b.html
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/cathyfennerb.html
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/progenyb.html
http://www.donatoart.com/gallery/tamingofsmeagolb.html

jhanic
03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
McKean?? Oh how I hate DT IV artworks... :D

The McKean art for DT IV is the worst in my opinion too. I voted for Whelan. Yes, I guess I'm an old stick-in-the-mud.

John

Bev Vincent
03-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I like what I saw on the Gregory Manchess site. He reminds me a bit of Les Edwards, whose work I've grown to like quite a lot.

Ricky
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I could hardly tell what I was looking at in McKean's DTIV artwork. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan.

mae
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder why would King wantonly weave the letter W as the starting letter in the titles of half the novels in the series (Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Wind Through the Keyhole).

Jean
03-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I wonder why would King wantonly weave the letter W pablo, you're my hero!

(back on topic, I'll look at the links, thank you!)

johnny39
03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
2011 will be a very. long. year.Well, not as bad as 1992.

lol

I can only imagine. I was "lucky" enough to have gotten into SK and the DT series after they were all completed.

blavigne
03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!! I cannot wait for more...............good, bad or ugly, it's more Roland and company so I am happy. I just wish it were out now! :excited:

flaggwalkstheline
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I wonder why would King wantonly weave the letter W as the starting letter in the titles of half the novels in the series (Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Wind Through the Keyhole).

let me think about this...

the first letters of each of the novels including the new one (excluding the word "the" of course)

g d w w w s d

now the complete titles initials

gl dott wl wag wttkh wotc sos dt

ok so that last one, without dt4.5 ends up being 19 letters
is it possible that the new book is going to in some way break the cycle of 19? but only so those who have finished the series prior to reading it (like most of us) are aware of it?

both of the combinations have aspects of website addresses and internet speak, dot and www and gl, also sos

alright i'm going to think about this some more because I think i'm starting to see something

pathoftheturtle
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
alright i'm going to think about this some more because I think i'm starting to see something:unsure: Think about it enough and you might start seeing phantoms everywhere.

woodpryan
03-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Can someone please post a link to the poll? Thank you. I'm very excited about this novel. 2011 will be the longest year of my life.

jhanic
03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/21090-Which-artist-would-you-like-to-have-illustrate-The-Wind-Through-the-Keyhole

John

nocny
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
it's also on stephenking.com main site.

costanza
03-15-2011, 12:03 PM
g d w w w s d

Gan does will what Walter will soon decree!

The man in black is back! And this time, it's personal...er

I'm retarded

Slender
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
As much as I love Whelan's work (and appreciate Dameron's, McKean's, Wrightson's and Hale's to varying degrees), I hope Jay Lee gets the job. I like the idea of blurring the lines between the novels, comics, films, television series, videogames etc; I think that the Dark Tower universe in its various media incarnations should have a unified and cohesive style.

Erin
03-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Respectfully, Jean, I must disagree. I looked through his sample artwork and it's very very good. It has a nice surrealistic quality that would lend itself greatly to The Dark Tower. Plus, in my opinion, I prefer the more realistic-looking artwork, such as his, to the more abstract used previously.

Wow, those are awesome pablo. I especially love the first one.

EvaH
03-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I hope Jae Lee gets the job as well. The only thing I like about the comics is his and Isanove's artwork, I absolutely love it. I agree about Giancola being too sugary, it's like if Thomas Kinkade decided to do fantasy art.

Jean
03-25-2011, 03:33 AM

Wow, those are awesome pablo. I especially love the first one.
I don't know, guys. Looks like Vallejo to me, kinda cheapish: what you would expect a fantasy to be. But the DT is not a fantasy. These are, like, one-dimensional, there's no metaphysics about them. I think nobody got the spirit as good as McKean, but judging by public opinion, nobody besides McKean and me felt the same way about the spirit.

Tito_Villa
03-25-2011, 03:44 AM
I could hardly see what McKean was trying to show in his artwork!

Jean
03-25-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah, I know... bears are used to being outnumbered

Erin
03-25-2011, 05:18 AM
I liked McKean's work, Jean. I liked it waaaaay better than the art in DT2.

Jean
03-25-2011, 05:22 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

Bryn Lucas
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi all.

This is my first post but have been visiting this site for ages!

I am a huge dark tower fan, but that's for another day.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts what book 4.5 will contain.....

How did Jake end up with that chicken in his backpack.

Ta
B

Randall Flagg
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the site. We already have a thread about TWTTK so I merged your thread with it.

RF

Bryn Lucas
04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Well here goes my thought...

SK has stated that TWTTKH takes place right after they leave the Emerald Palace and that hey end up having walked a fair way with mud on their feet and food in their packs.

Now recall how DT7 ends with Roland going back to the desert and forgetting everything that had happened well I believe in TWTTKH our heroes will follow a path where they maybe discover the nature of the tower or something along those lines and end up having to save their own lives by going back to the Emerald Palace,having their minds wiped and starting again but with provisions and a sense of deja vu

Either way I cant wait

Bring it on!

MonteGss
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Super excited for another Roland adventure and I don't care when it takes place. Nor do I care if it isn't about the "mythology" of the series.

Erin
04-13-2011, 05:43 AM
Monte! *waves*

Nice seeing you back here! :D

Jean
04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
wow, Monte! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

MonteGss
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
:evil:

beam*seeker
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
maybe the W is for Walter? Does anyone know if W is the 19th letter of the Chaldean alphabet or something?

Bev Vincent
05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Jae Lee has signed on to illustrate Stephen's next Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, which will be published as a limited edition by Donald M. Grant Publisher. Orders are not yet being taken and a final release date has not been established. For more details about this upcoming limited edition, please visit Donald M. Grant Publisher (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/redirector.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.grantbooks .com%2Fz-sk-dt-twttk.html).

jhanic
05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Great news!

John

Brainslinger
05-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Sigh.

I like his comic's work (and he really is a talented artist, don't get me wrong) but I'm not sure his style fits the novels. On the other hand maybe he has more than one style.

Okay, we'll see.

Ricky
05-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Two thoughts:

1. YESSSS!!

2. I have LSOE #930. :cry:

divemaster
05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Two thoughts:

1. YESSSS!!

2. I have LSOE #930. :cry:

I have #464! :nana:

mae
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't have LSOE.

mae
05-09-2011, 10:54 AM
https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

COMING IN 2012

THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE by

STEPHEN KING

We are not taking orders at this time, do not have prices and have not set a release date. Please do not call or email us asking for more information than is posted here. Updates will be announced in future issues of our newsletter and also posted here. We also advise you to sign up for Stephen King's newsletter at stephenking.com.

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. will, in the Spring of 2012 be publishing limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King which will be illustrated by Jae Lee.

Stephen King has agreed to sign 800 copies of a Deluxe Edition which will be issued in a tray case. These will also be signed by Jae Lee. In keeping with our policies of supporting long time customers, owners of Deluxe Edition copies of THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA numbered 1-800 will have the first option to buy this Deluxe Edition.

In addition there will be a limited “Artist” Edition which will be signed by Jae Lee and will be issued in a slipcase.

Adumbros
05-23-2011, 01:56 AM
not to kill the fanboy atmosphere, but sometimes one is better off leaving something well enough alone, as any fan of any horror movie series could well attest. prequels, midquels, and long-overdue sequels tend to fail miserably, for a wide variety of reasons, not the least of which is the author attempting to convince the audience that they want a story that they in fact do NOT want (and often implicitly imply) just to line their own pockets/reputations. i, for one, think TDT should've been left the hell alone after ol' Long Tall 'n' Ugly got whisked through the door back to the (for us, anyway) beginning. there's only so much relevant story one can relate without at the very least exploring a hitherto uncharted arc, which is in and of itself a messy, tedious affair. such instances leave me grasping at the possibility that tales such as The Monkey's Paw are as much a literary warning tool as morality tale.

jhanic
06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
According to Lilja, Hodder & Stoughton is also issuing an edition of The Wind Through the Keyhole:

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2360&ref=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LiljasLibrary+%28Lilja%27s+Li brary+-+The+World+of+Stephen+King%29

John

EvaH
06-16-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/16/stephen-king-dark-tower-new-novel

"There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape," he said. "I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland's old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for a while. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole ... Call this one DT-4.5. It's not going to change anybody's life, but God, I had fun."

jhanic
06-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for posting the link! Very interesting.

John

Ricky
06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I am very excited to read this one! Wonder if I should do a re-read before then?

I refuse to re-read WAG. :ninja:

RUBE
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I am very excited to read this one! Wonder if I should do a re-read before then?

What is wrong with WAG? It may be my favorite of the series.

frik
06-19-2011, 05:52 AM

What is wrong with WAG? It may be my favorite of the series.

It definitely is mine.
And - I've never seen a DT poll yet where WAG didn't come out as the #1 book of the series.

sk

Ricky
06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
It's not only my least favorite DT book, but, if I'm remembering correctly, it's the only one I didn't like.

Brainslinger
06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
It definitely is mine.
And - I've never seen a DT poll yet where WAG didn't come out as the #1 book of the series.
sk

I like Wizard and Glass, but I don't think I've ever seen it as number 1 in a poll! So much back-story and the resolution of the present day stuff usually gives it rather a divisive factor.

Slender
06-20-2011, 07:04 AM
I think The Waste Lands is the peak of the series, and just about the best thing King's ever written. It's the only book by the author that kept me enthralled from start to finish. I loved the crazy present-day stuff in Wizard and Glass (the trip through the universe of The Stand culminating in the ka-tet's arrival at the emerald palace from The Wizard of Oz), but I was lukewarm on the love backstory.

Ricky
06-20-2011, 07:11 AM
That's what turned me off in WAG. After King left Emerald City and started with the 23024 page flashback, I wanted to cry.

lordmerchant
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm sure I have seen W&G ranking high in a lot of poles also, and personally for me it is one of my favourite novels of all time...I absoluely loved the flashback, learning more about cuthbert and alain was great!

Garrell
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
W&G was the hardest one to start for me, the brief outline sounded sucky. Turned out to be awesome. Still hate The Gunslinger though, only one I didn't like, ranks next to Bag Of Bones.

Nerak
06-21-2011, 05:14 AM
y'all are gonna LOVE WTTK!!!

Tito_Villa
06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Does that mean you have read it Karen????

Ben Staad
06-21-2011, 06:43 AM

I'm soooooo jealous. :)

Tatts4Life
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM

I've always hated your teases.

Tatts4Life
06-21-2011, 07:13 PM
As somebody who doesn't have any of the deluxe editions so I have no chance of getting a deluxe of this, I hope they release enough of the artist editions so I can get one.

Jimimck
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm banking on an Artist edition too.

The Road Virus
06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to read this and I will be doing a re-read before I do. Even WotC which I thought was by far the worst of the series (DotT, WaG, GS, DT, WL,SoS------> WotC) IMHO. WotC was the only one of the series I did not enjoy. But to each his own

The Road Virus
06-23-2011, 06:06 AM
To clarify my drunken self: I put the DT books in 3 different tiers: 1) WaG and DofT are favorites and I consider them among the best SK novels I have read 2) DT, SoS, WL, and GS are all very close, I love them all also and think they are great books 3) WotC: It was just a struggle for me to get through. Idk, I hope with this next re-read I have a change of heart and start liking this book.

Tad OCD and did not want anyone to think I was knocking any book but the 5th one

Nerak
06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
um, I work for the publisher....

Cook
06-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Tito..... I think that's a yes !!

Karen, You are a golden goddess.
I hope you are doing well, BTW, Happy belated Birthday (I wasn't sure which birthday thread was yours)

pixiedark76
06-24-2011, 02:36 PM

WELL GOOD FOR YOU! :P:P:P

pixiedark76
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I think that DOTT (Drawing of the Three) is the best Dark Tower novel. I never really liked Wizard and Glass, especially since the dark tower comics came out. I think the story is told so much better when it is told in "The Gunslinger Born" comic.

WOTC is actually my second favorite. I think that it was exciting and it had the best gunslinger battle in it.

Jimimck
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I've only recently finished DT7, and so probably didn't quite get how some people are not really looking forward to this new book. All I can say now is I'm 50/50 in my expectations. One side of me will ready anything King puts to paper, but the other side now understands people apprehensions...

Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna read this and no doubt will love it!

Jean
06-25-2011, 12:51 AM
just want to remind you people that there are tons of threads where volumes 1 through 7 can be, and have been, extensively discussed

Jimimck
06-25-2011, 03:11 AM
I think its fair to discuss 1-7 a bit when in reference to number 8.

Jean
06-25-2011, 04:23 AM
why, of course, I never meant to say you can't post your thoughts here. It is important, however, that no valuable idea or opinion be lost, that is why I'd rather people pursued specific lines of discussion where they are easy to trace by all parties involved or those who will come later

Slender
06-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, remember that time JRR Tolkien wrote a sequel to The Hobbit, a book which was never intended to have a continuation? I think it was called Lord of the something or other? And we all know what a disaster that was, right?

Jean
06-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, remember that time JRR Tolkien wrote a sequel to The Hobbit, which was never intended to have a continuation? Lord of the something or other? And we all know what a disaster that was, right?This, ad infinitum!!!!!

I also strongly suspect that both Tom Sawyer and Alice in the Wonderland were written without any plans for sequels - and in my opinion, Huckleberry Finn and Through the Looking Glass surpass their respective first books by miles.

The Road Virus
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Sorry for continuing the tangent Jean. However, I would agree with you both that a lot of sequel books (most likely unplanned also) end up to be better than their original story.

Brainslinger
06-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Besides, from what I've read of Dr Sleep it won't be a sequel in the sense of continuing the story. I get the impression it will be a whole other story... that happens to be about the same character(s). (Even that's not quite right as adults are different characters to their child-selves. Albeit, he's still in there somewhere...)

Anyhoo... back on topic (but related). I thought it interesting that King asked his constant readers which book they'd like to read first. Doctor Sleep won... and so he wrote The Wind through the Keyhole! Not that I'm complaining (I am most looking forward to this one after all). I guess he had ideas, but The Beam had others. ;) Not the first time that's happened.

I hope he does get on to Doctor Sleep though as it sounded like a very interesting idea. That's assuming he hasn't already of course, which is a premature assumption to make. He certainly completed The Wind... quicker than I'd expected!

jhanic
06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
My gut feeling is that he had the storyline for Wind Through the Keyhole in mind before he asked the question. I voted for Dr. Sleep also, but I'm happy with Wind.

John

Merlin1958
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I have to admit that I, for one, was rather surprised that Danny Torrance did not put in an appearance in TDT. I have always wondered what his furthering story may have been more than almost any other "King" character. Someone who "Shines" like Danny must have had many very interesting further adventures. Also, Charlie from "Firestarter" pretty much fits that description as well.

Slender
06-26-2011, 05:37 AM
I was one of the people who voted for Doctor Sleep. While I'm still excited for more Dark Tower, it's only an 'interquel', so we already know that nothing truly important will happen in it (and if it does, it could seriously stretch believability on re-reads of books V through VII). Doctor Sleep sounded much more intriguing, as we have no idea where the story might go. My introduction to Stephen King was Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, which I saw when I was about eight years old. It's the only film I've ever found truly disturbing. Danny Torrance is a character with whom I've been familiar since my childhood, so I think I'd genuinely care about his fate when reading Doctor Sleep – probably more so than any of King's other protagonists (with the possible exception of some Dark Tower characters). And if the book is a success, a film could be on the horizon, and most people would perceive it as a sequel to the Kubrick film. However it turned out, it would be fascinating to watch.

F1racefan
06-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Maybe a stupid question.......but when you got to read it are you reading an ARC, or on a computer (digital copy)? Just curious.

Empath of the White
06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Will this book be released at your major retailers such as Books-a-Million, Barnes and Noble, etc?

As far as Danny in TDT goes, after finishing the series the Hotel's obession with Danny was evocative of the Crimson King's hunt for the psychics throughout the multiverse.

DanishCollector
06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
I also thought Danny Torrance would pop up somewhere in the DT novels...the mysterious Manager of the Overlook Hotel wanting Danny's powers really reminded me of The Crimson King.

Merlin1958
06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I also thought Danny Torrance would pop up somewhere in the DT novels...the mysterious Manager of the Overlook Hotel wanting Danny's powers really reminded me of The Crimson King.

I know, right? Also, I was surprised Tyler Marshall (Black House) did not appear as well!!!!!!!!

Tatts4Life
06-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I think that DOTT (Drawing of the Three) is the best Dark Tower novel. I never really liked Wizard and Glass, especially since the dark tower comics came out. I think the story is told so much better when it is told in "The Gunslinger Born" comic.

WOTC is actually my second favorite. I think that it was exciting and it had the best gunslinger battle in it.
I started reading the series just before the comics came out. It just happened that Right as I was starting WaG the comics came out. I made the mistake of reading the comics while reading the book. So Reading the book version felt like reading a book for a high school report. I think if I had waited to read the comics I would of enjoyed the book more.

Nerak
06-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Tito..... I think that's a yes !!

Karen, You are a golden goddess.
I hope you are doing well, BTW, Happy belated Birthday (I wasn't sure which birthday thread was yours)

Thanks for the birthday wish!!!

And yes, I have read it. And a re-read is not necessary. It's pretty much a stand alone. Still lovely in it's own right!

Nerak
06-27-2011, 05:37 AM

Maybe a stupid question.......but when you got to read it are you reading an ARC, or on a computer (digital copy)? Just curious.

The manuscript....

F1racefan
06-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Very Cool!!:drool:

Ari_Racing
06-27-2011, 07:27 AM
ENVY! :)

Tatts4Life
06-27-2011, 08:29 AM
nevermind

Tatts4Life
07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I wonder if there will be the large paperback versions? I own 1-7 of the large paperback versions that have the drawings.

mae
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
According to Amazon, the book's title is The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel. Dunno about the sound of that, makes it sound cheap somehow. I hope it'll still be The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451658907/

jhanic
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Here's a better link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower-Novel/dp/1451658907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313093246&sr=1-1

John

you ever seen a ghost?
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Scribner's site lists it as The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel.

i feel almost positive that this is what the title will be, being as how it doesn't fit neatly into the series.

-justin

jhanic
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's the Scribner link:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Wind-Through-the-Keyhole/Stephen-King/9781451658903

And I agree with Justin--it just doesn't fit nicely into the Dark Tower series as such.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
It might not even mention The Dark Tower. I think it will just be called, "The Wind Through the Keyhole", with a sub heading.

mae
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Here's a better link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower-Novel/dp/1451658907/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313093246&sr=1-1

John

John, that's the same link as mine, only way longer (unnecessarily so) :)

jhanic
08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Pablo, your link didn't work for me. That's why I posted the other version.

John

Brian James Freeman
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM

i feel almost positive that this is what the title will be, being as how it doesn't fit neatly into the series.

-justin

I emailed the publicist who handles King's books to see what she had to say... will let you know if I hear something!

Merlin1958
08-12-2011, 09:10 PM

-justin

I emailed the publicist who handles King's books to see what she had to say... will let you know if I hear something!

Really guys? I mean no disrespect, but not only is it a New King Novel, but also a DT Novel!!!!! Does it really matter that much?

:rock::panic::panic::panic::rock:

Jimimck
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Good call Bill. Can't go wrong with a new DT novel.

Cook
08-13-2011, 04:40 AM

The manuscript....

Sick !!