PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King’s Battleground

Cutter
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
This from Gauntlet's Coming Attractions page, so I thought I would start a thread.

Stephen King’s Battleground: This, too, will be a definitive collection of Stephen King’s classic short story with Richard Christian Matheson putting together this awesome collection. We start with King’s short story and then move to R.C. Matheson’s script for the opening episode of “Nightmares and Dreamscapes” which starred William Hurt and was directed by Brian Henson. Henson will provide storyboards used for the episode which won two Emmy awards. We will have further details as to whom will be contributing material to this unique collection in early 2010.

This will be a summer or fall release

My guess is it's going to be like Riding the Bullet from Lonely Roads books. The new stuff will just be the television adaptation of the story by Richard Christian Matheson, and King would probably only sign the Lettered Edition. Who knows though as it's all speculation at this point.

lophophoras
01-01-2010, 05:07 AM
According to Gauntlet's site they are now taking orders for Battleground but when you click the link you'll get the message 'Taking orders at a date to be announced'.

:orely:

SkippyD023
01-01-2010, 05:14 AM
In a newsletter I received the middle of December it said they would start taking preorders on January 1st. It also said a price would be determined at a later date once they had all the details of the book worked. My guess is they don't have a price determined yet so it won't be available for preorder until they do.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Gauntlet will not take pre-orders until the book is definitely in their catalog. And I was told King will not sign any editions, not even the lettered. I hope he changes his mind though.

carlosdetweiller
01-01-2010, 05:30 AM
I asked Barry yesterday if it was available for pre-order because the webpage says that it is. I think that is an error he needs to fix because it causes some confusion....at least it confused me.

Barry said there are still a number of permissions that need to be gotten from TNT regarding contents of the DVD. Pre-orders will not be taken until all details like that are finalized.

I did however, with Barry's permission, jump the gun and order the two new F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack books ahead of the Jan. 1 start.

gsvec
01-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I got three signed ARCs from Barry in the mail yesterday - Secret Circles (the new Repairman Jack), Bullet Trick (Bradbury), and Barry's own Curse of the Shamra: Crystal Cave Stories. :thumbsup:

Hoping I end up with the Battleground anthology down the road!!

jhanic
01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
:thumbsup:

John

DavidK44
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Gauntlet sent out an email newsletter earlier today, and had some more information about Battleground in it:

We’re holding off on taking orders for Stephen King's Battleground as we are still getting clearances for a DVD that will be part of the book (literally – it will be in the back of the book).

While we can’t relate details yet (besides the one-hour version of “Battleground” that is only available as part of the entire Nightmares and Dreamscapes boxed set), R.C. Matheson and Brian Henson (who directed the episode) would like to add some exclusive material that will never be released in any other form.

Those who have followed Gauntlet Press over the past twenty years are aware that getting clearance for something like this takes a great deal of time and perseverance. If successful, though, not only the book but the DVD will be a one-of-a-kind collectible. We are also working on additional contributors to the book, so we appreciate your patience while we finalize these details. We will let you know when we’ll start taking orders for the book.

Patrick
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I have great respect for publishers who refuse to take preorders until they are further along in the process. I admire their discipline.

tippy4
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
So are we talking a S/L here?

Randall Flagg
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
So are we talking a S/L here?
S/L, possible.
King signed S/L, unlikely.

Ari_Racing
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
As far as I read King didn't sign that edition. I don't remember where I read it...

Cutter
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Well it looks like King will sign the 52 Lettered Editions of this book.

How I found out about it, though, is very interesting....

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=Guarenteed&ORDER_ID=122941940

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the link Geoff.

If you pay $2000 now, you automatically jump to the head of our waiting list".

Yeah right! I will buy it on the secondary market for a little over the issue price.

Brice
02-03-2010, 08:36 AM
If anyone wanted to send me a 2 grand bribe I'd consider them a valued loyal customer too. :lol: I think both the lotteries and first come/first served are superior to this method.

ChristineB
02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
$2000 to jump to the front of the line. Wow, is it still called bribery if the person being paid asked for the money? :scared:

I am still not completely convinced this isn't a joke. I guess it isn't but it just so reads like one.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I think Barry has sold his business to Richard Chizmar!

Nerak
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
What the hell is wrong with this world?!?!?

You have to bribe them $2000 to get to the head of the class?!?!

Please tell me that noone here is going to do this!

Just emailed this to Marsha...let's see what she has to say!

lophophoras
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Wow...that's a major turn off...

Cutter
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
yea it's pretty crazy. I guess he's just trying to raise some funds, but wow, I don't even know what to say?

carlosdetweiller
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm still trying to get my mind around this. First off, I don't think I am worried about too many people spending $2K just to get first options to buy books. I can't imagine that he will get many takers for that.

I DO like the fact that he is going to allow long time customers the first chance at the really high demand books. I really think this is a good idea. But I wonder how he will determine the pecking order? I've been buying books from Barry for a long, long time but mostly it has just been the F. Paul Wilson titles, mostly the Repairman Jack stuff, anything he has done related to King and a few odd titles here and there.

I assume Barry keeps a list of who bought what and when and for how much. I guess he will create a list based on dollars spent for each customer and prioritize; offering the 52 signed/lettered copies to the 52 customers who spent the most with him over some period of time.

I'll probably be out of luck on this but who knows. Anyone else with thoughts on how Barry might "determine customer loyalty"?

Rahfa
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
That is a no win situation for all involved.

He'd be better off just saying "I'm not taking orders," then choosing the 52 customers he wanted to offer the book too...they buy it, great, he's sold out...chances are, plenty of people decline, and those he then offers the book to never know they were second-choice fans...bottom line, nobody complains because there was never a public situation to complain about...

This $2k for the right to order is just craziness...I guess if you get one or two people who do it, it's free money...so might as well try.

I suppose a complain to SK, or any author, could revolve around this is a way you can skirt royalities, since I'm sure SK was paid X$ per book based on an agreed sales price...and this $2K could circumvent it...but really, who cares. Nobody's going to do it, and if it's that important for somebody to do - bully for them.

At the price that Matheson book is going to sell for, how much compeition does he really expect?

And - he can't just GIVE these people a free "He is Legend" lettered edition? He's such a hero to let them save $250? What does he care? It's a PC edition anyway, so it's all free money...why not actually attract a potential customer with a legit savings? It's the same thing I feel when I see a $5K ebay auction, where the seller wants $20 for shipping.

And, finally, can this please kill "which is better? A PC or a numbered edition?" argument? It's over and done - PCs are money grabs (or at least they are now)...there is no accountability, and they are obviously published as much as they publisher wants.

Brice
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
The limitation on his PC might be higher than the limitation on the book. :lol:

Hmmm...do I want to spend $2,000 on a book or an offer for books. :orely: This seems to me to be panhandling.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
My understanding is that Gauntlet is still awaiting permissions.

Ari_Racing
08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
So this was never released, right?

Randall Flagg
08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Not yet.

jhanic
08-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Barry still lists it (in his Coming Attractions page) as coming in 2011. I'm not holding my breath.

John

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I wonder if this will every be published.

jhanic
11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I know I have a proof/ARC coming if and when it ever gets published.

John

surly
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Actually, this was updated on their site just a couple of days ago:
Set for Publication Spring/Summer 2012

A definitive collection of Stephen King’s classic short story with which was adapted for television by Richard Christian Matheson. We start with King’s short story and then move to R.C. Matheson’s script for the opening episode of “Nightmares and Dreamscapes”, which starred William Hurt and was directed by Brian Henson. Henson will provide storyboards used for the episode which won two Emmy awards.

Those contributing include:

Director Brian Henson
Executive Producer Bill Haber
Jeff Beal, who won an Emmy for his score for Battleground
Actor William Hurt
Michael Wright, Executive Vice President and Director of Programming for TNT
Visual Effects director Sam Nicholson
Producer Jeff Hayes
Lee Romaire, Special Makeup and Effects Designer
Editing the book is Richard Christian Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay for the episode.

~~~~~~~~

26 copy Signed Lettered Edition (the ONLY version signed by Stephen King) is $1250

125 copy Signed Numbered Edition (signed by Brian Henson, Jeff Beal, Jeff Hayes, Michael Wright, Lee Romaire, Bill Haber, Sam Nicholson, and Richard Christian Matheson) is $125

Limited Edition (unsigned) is $75

Taking orders starting January 1, 2012

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

Shannon
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Doesn't it seem like King is involved in a new signed limited coming out every other month? It's like he's gearing up to retire, so he's trying to make as much money as possible now.

I mean, the lettered edition is ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS more than the numbered edition. All because of King's signature. Insanity. I HOPE this doesn't sell out, just to teach these fucks a lesson, lol.

Patrick
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I mean, the lettered edition is ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS more than the numbered edition. All because of King's signature. Insanity. I HOPE this doesn't sell out, just to teach these fucks a lesson, lol.
It must have one hell of a traycase.

jhanic
11-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Sounds like a money grab by the publisher. I doubt King gets even close to that amount per book.

John

Randall Flagg
11-30-2011, 06:53 AM
I think people associated with the movie are getting a substantial cut.

ChristineB
11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Ok on the chance that I am a total ding bat here. There was a movie of this? wow I missed this one completely.

Bev Vincent
11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
It was part of the Nightmares and Dreamscapes series on TNT.

ChristineB
11-30-2011, 10:18 AM
OK now I remember it.

Randall Flagg
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbCWyh-1q5o

Cutter
11-30-2011, 11:35 AM

This was the same with the lettered edition of Richard Matheson's Nightmare at 10,000 feet. But in this case it was William Shatner signing, so it was $1,200. But this is nothing new, some of the early Bradbury Lettered Editions that Gauntlet did are priced at $1,000 while the Limited is $100. So Gauntlet's charged over a thousand for quite a few of their Lettered Editions in the past.

Anyway, finally glad to see this is coming up. I'm sure I'll get a signed numbered edition probably.

thegreattim
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Wasn't this the same publisher that sold that Masques book signed by King for 1500 something dollars? That never sold out last time I heard? You'd think they would have learned something from that.

Stockerlone
12-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Some news direkt from the Gauntlet page about the sig/lim Battleground Book.
Publication Spring/Summer 2012

26 copy Signed Lettered Edition (the ONLY version signed by Stephen King) is $1250

125 copy Signed Numbered Edition (signed by Brian Henson, Jeff Beal, Jeff Hayes, Michael Wright, Lee Romaire, Bill Haber, Sam Nicholson, and Richard Christian Matheson) is $125

Limited Edition (unsigned) is $75

http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=Battleground&ORDER_ID=322701268

WeDealInLead
12-31-2011, 06:35 AM
How long is that story again? 15 pages? $1250 seems totally reasonable.

Tony
12-31-2011, 08:07 AM
I've hardly seen such a great disparity between prices for the limited and lettered editions. That traycase probably has twenty dollar bills lining the inside of it.

Rahfa
12-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I bet the licensing for the script - which meant TV and literary people had to be paid - drove the necessary price point way up. I bet the profit for the publisher is much. much less than we think.

jhanic
12-31-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't know about that--$1250 for one of the lettered ones (the only one with King's signature) seems very excessive. I'll be passing on that one.

John

Randall Flagg
12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I bet the licensing for the script - which meant TV and literary people had to be paid - drove the necessary price point way up. I bet the profit for the publisher is much. much less than we think.
I am not privy to the specifics, but I have been told exactly that.

Rahfa
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't know about that--$1250 for one of the lettered ones (the only one with King's signature) seems very excessive. I'll be passing on that one.

John

Oh yeah, totally excessive....but I don't consider it a money grab as much as just the cost of doing business. They'll sell them - 26 copies is nothing, and even if it takes awhile, they'll get bought by somebody.

Jimimck
12-31-2011, 11:56 PM
There doesn't seem to be much info about the differences between the editions...?

surly
01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I'd been thinking about whether or not I would go for the lettered edition at that price. Now that the order page is active, I figured what the hell so I placed my order. Shortly after, I got this email:
Thank you for your order. For the lettered edition of BATTLEGROUND we will be having a lottery which will be explained in our next newsletter going out Wednesday. You will be part of the lottery and once it is conducted you will be contacted as to whether you will receive a copy of the lettered or go on our waiting list.
Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I guess they are expecting the demand to exceed 26 even at that price.

Randall Flagg
01-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd been thinking about whether or not I would go for the lettered edition at that price. Now that the order page is active, I figured what the hell so I placed my order. Shortly after, I got this email:
Thank you for your order. For the lettered edition of BATTLEGROUND we will be having a lottery which will be explained in our next newsletter going out Wednesday. You will be part of the lottery and once it is conducted you will be contacted as to whether you will receive a copy of the lettered or go on our waiting list.
Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I am guessing you will "win" the lottery.

tippy4
01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
There have been a few items in recent years that I passed on when offered by the publisher, but was able to get on the secondary market either at, or cheaper than issue price (the lettered versions of Riding The Bullet and Fifty to One to name a couple).

This title will be one of them, but I just do not see myself paying over $500 for this ever.

jhanic
01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
There have been a few items in recent years that I passed on when offered by the publisher, but was able to get on the secondary market either at, or cheaper than issue price (the lettered versions of Riding The Bullet and Fifty to One to name a couple).

This title will be one of them, but I just do not see myself paying over $500 for this ever.

I agree.

John

Brian James Freeman
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I think people associated with the movie are getting a substantial cut.

Movie and comic people get paid CRAZY amounts of money for being involved with this sort of project... or so I've heard. ;)

Brian

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
There are only 26 lettered copies, rather than the usual 52, so the price will not drop as much as you may think.

Rahfa
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
So, the $1250 for the lettered I think we all agree is kind of nuts....but it is what it is.

Still, here's the breakdown, from Gauntley:

A definitive collection of Stephen King’s classic short story with which was adapted for television by Richard Christian Matheson. We start with King’s short story and then move to R.C. Matheson’s script for the opening episode of “Nightmares and Dreamscapes”, which starred William Hurt and was directed by Brian Henson. Henson will provide storyboards used for the episode which won two Emmy awards. The book will contain one signature (8 pages) of color photos from TNT’s archives; photos never before released.

Those contributing include:

Director Brian Henson
Executive Producer Bill Haber
Jeff Beal, who won an Emmy for his score for Battleground
Actor William Hurt
Michael Wright, Executive Vice President and Director of Programming for TNT
Visual Effects director Sam Nicholson
Producer Jeff Hayes
Lee Romaire, Special Makeup and Effects Designer
Editing the book is Richard Christian Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay for the episode.

So they have to pay King, the director, an actor, the screenplay writer, two producers, and an Exec VP for TNT...and other assorted people.

Granted, I'm sure they aren't being paid huge amounts, but I'm also sure they aren't doing it for free.

And all of that comes out of an approx. $50K pie, which isn't all that much, when you take out production costs, and then whatever Gauntlet hopes to earn. I mean, if I'm William Hurt - an Academy Award-nominated actor - and somebody wants my help for some book about a show I was in four years ago, I would need at least $2500 before I'd even answer the phone.

But...all speculation of course...entertaining, if nothing else. Anyway, not to defend Gauntlet, but I don't think it's a money grab (overpriced, yes, just not greedy).

mistercrowley
01-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Rahfa the problem as I see it is that most people probably only care about three of the potential signatures (King, Matheson and Hurt).

Rahfa
01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I totally agree....I think $1250 is crazy - but with just 26 copies, they will sell them. Not to me!

Hurt's not even signing it...I assume he contributed some written essay.

Bottom line - Gauntlet had to cross a lot of t's to get it done, and it cost them some money.

sgc1999
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I am guessing you will "win" the lottery.

LOL. win the lottery as in the same way of the actual short story lottery:)

Randall Flagg
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I know it is expensive, but try to give Gauntlet a little credit. Lining up all the approvals for this book seems (to me) to be impossible. It has taken some time, but Barry pulled it off! Kudos to him, and great for the collecting world. It gives us much to talk about.

Merlin1958
01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
I know it is expensive, but try to give Gauntlet a little credit. Lining up all the approvals for this book seems (to me) to be impossible. It has taken some time, but Barry pulled it off! Kudos to him, and great for the collecting world. It gives us much to talk about.

I gotta agree with Jerome on this. As crazy as it may sound, given that it's only a King short story, it must have been daunting to get the permissions and signatures necessary to pull this edition off. I'm sure gauntlet is not gouging the price, it's just that there was so many folks with their hands out. Just MHO

Randall Flagg
01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Battleground%28large%29.jpg

Shannon
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I think most of you are missing the point. MY point anyway ...

And my point is ... iiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssss .... IIIIIIIIIISSSS!!!!!!

My point is that as a Stephen King collector and an eventual completist, in order for my collection to be "complete", I will need to buy this overpriced piece of crap with the Microsoft Paint cover. There is no "Oh, I won't buy that" ... it's "I will buy that eventually" ... and I am sad. :(

Jimimck
01-03-2012, 09:12 PM
this overpriced piece of crap with the Microsoft Paint cover

LOL you're so right. I looked around trying to see where the "real" cover was, assuming this was some placeholder or something....
I'm not a completist like many out there, so glad the production values on this book don't scream "buy me" at me.....

surly
01-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on why they would hold a lottery rather than just sell on a first come basis? As a buyer, I'm not a fan of the lottery system but is there some advantage to the seller I'm not aware of?

herbertwest
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Battleground%28large%29.jpg

If i was buying the lettered, i would hope that the book cover wouldnt look like that...

Randall Flagg
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I like it. It's straight from the show/film.

Merlin1958
01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I like it. It's straight from the show/film.

Yeah, as it should be I would think. IMHO

Patrick
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Hurt's not even signing it...I assume he contributed some written essay.
I assume he contributed his likeness.

Anyway, I'm not buying any of the editions. Maybe later on the secondary market, but probably not.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on why they would hold a lottery rather than just sell on a first come basis? As a buyer, I'm not a fan of the lottery system but is there some advantage to the seller I'm not aware of?
Per Barry Hoffman
I don't feel first-come, first-ordered is fair to those who might not be home when we send out our newsletter mentioning we are taking orders for a book. Depending when the newsletter goes out in certain parts of the world it's the middle of the night. It's not fair to them to miss out. By the same token if we send the newsletter in the morning there are many people who receive our newsletter who are at work. It's not fair to them either. So, the lottery seems the better option. If there is yet another option I would be happy to consider it. All I'm trying to do is be fair to our customers.

I hope that helps, and thanks to Barry for responding promptly to my inquiry.

tippy4
01-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Anyone here actually believe they need to run a lottery?

I'm pretty sure you can still by a copy of Fifty to One.

Sure, there was about half as many printed, but since the price is nearly twice as much, it's about the same in my book.

The whole "lottery" idea is just creating hype.

Shannon
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
If I had to bet, I would say that there are more than 26 people lined up for this book. Maybe ...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-05-2012, 12:40 AM
If I had to bet, I would say that there are more than 26 people lined up for this book. Maybe ...

You would win your bet.

Cloysterpete
01-05-2012, 01:39 AM
A lottery?, I don't get it. If he is concerned about people not reading the newsletter in time then how about just sending out another newsletter the day or week before announcing what time it's going to be put up for sale on the site.

biomieg
01-05-2012, 02:28 AM
Didn't Gauntlet do the 'silent bid' thing with something related to HE IS LEGEND? And weren't there more 'winners' than there were supposed to be? I don't remember the details. But I would be wary of any other system than a straight first come/first serve-based sale.

surly
01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Thanks for taking the time to follow up on that RF.

Cutter
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I guess if you didn't like the Lonely Roads publication of Riding the Bullet you won't like this book. After all it is just a Stephen King short story, and like with Riding the Bullet a story you already have in a collection and have already read. But for a collector these are the types of books that I always find interesting, because these are the weird projects that usually only the small press will do. I liked Riding the Bullet and thought it was a great production, and I have liked some of Gauntlet other projects like this that have been done for Richard Matheson. Visions of Death by Gauntlet is a fantastic collection of the short stories, screenplays, movie posters, stills, and the directors and others involved talking about making the movie, or in the case of Battleground - the television show. And Visions of Death is pretty darn cool, in my opinion. I'm expecting something similar with Battleground.

Now, I wouldn't, nor do I, have the money for the Lettered edition, but then again I have never owned a King lettered Edition. They are all too expensive in my opinion. But I'll gladly lay down $125 for a Limited Edition of this book.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-09-2012, 04:11 PM
This has nothing to do with BATTLEGROUND, but did somebody mention VISIONS OF DEATH?
Mockingbird, ARC, lettered, signed/numbered

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/visions.jpg?t=1326154125

Shannon
01-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't plan on collecting lettered editions, but if the only edition King signed was the lettered edition, that is just as "must have" as a signed edition to me.

Cutter
01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
This has nothing to do with BATTLEGROUND, but did somebody mention VISIONS OF DEATH?
Mockingbird, ARC, lettered, signed/numbered

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/visions.jpg?t=1326154125

Yep, I did. lol

I thought this book is a pretty rock solid read.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Tomorrow is the last day to order and be in the lottery for the lettered edition.

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2012, 06:45 AM
I notice on Gauntlet's website that the 26 lettered copies are now "sold out." I'm wondering if anyone who ordered and was entered into the lottery was notified that they didn't win or were all orders fulfilled?

surly
01-28-2012, 08:26 AM
I notice on Gauntlet's website that the 26 lettered copies are now "sold out." I'm wondering if anyone who ordered and was entered into the lottery was notified that they didn't win or were all orders fulfilled?

That would be me:

"Thank you for your order of the lettered edition of BATTLEGROUND. We have had our lottery and unfortunately you were not one of the winners. However, you will be put on a waiting list in case any of those sending checks fail to do so or if one of those who won the lottery changes their mind before the book is released."

carlosdetweiller
01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear that you were not chosen. I'm surprised, really, that there were more than 26 orders. It just didn't seem that popular....at least among the posters on this site. I think there is still a reasonable chance that you get one in the end as people frequently change their minds.

Bev Vincent
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Part One of an Interview with Richard Christian Matheson, editor of STEPHEN KING'S BATTLEGROUND (https://www.facebook.com/notes/gauntlet-press/part-one-of-an-interview-with-richard-christian-matheson-editor-of-stephen-kings/213653475398721)

herbertwest
03-11-2012, 01:16 AM
It looks like BATTLEGROUND is getting ready...

herbertwest
03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Should be out in may.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Gauntlet are selling of proofs for this title.

We have received a small number of galleys for STEPHEN KING'S BATTLEGROUND and have been sending them to reviewers. We are putting three up for auction. The galley (like the book) is an oversized 8 x 10 book, bound (as are all our galleys) with a full-color front and back cover (the cover art for the book).

As always with our auctions we accept just one bid so make it your best. You will have until March 19th to bid on the galley. Send all bids to info@gauntletpress.com with “Battleground Galley Bid” in the subject. Please include your name and address as well as your bid. Bidding for this unique collectible begins at $100. As a bonus the DVD of the “Battleground” episode will be included with each galley sent to the winners (a $20 value).

Tony
03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Do publishers usually do this kind of thing? I understand how PCs work and they usually end up in the secondary market anyway. I know galleys are usually there to be proofed and all that, but has anyone ever before started selling their galleys??

jhanic
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Gauntlet has a habit of doing this. I should have one coming from one of my contacts, so I'm not biting on this. I have "bitten" before and kind of been burned. Never again.

John

Randall Flagg
03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I have one coming and plan on donating it to our Haven Foundation Fundraiser. I will put it up for auction on Ebay as soon as I receive it. It will be in "new" condition. So if anyone is interested, hang in there, starting bid will be $19.

herbertwest
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I have one coming too :-)

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Received my ARC today. I will be putting it up for auction shortly.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1331832835-Battleground%20ARC%20front%20%281%29.jpg

Merlin1958
03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Get your copy here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200728441957?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Jimimck
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
That cover is just horrible

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 06:28 PM
It's a screen shot straight from the movie and features William Hurt. Don't quote me, but my understanding is that Hurt and the studio wanted a sizable chunk to use images/script etc. from the short movie. It seems counterproductive to spend quite a bit, and not leverage an iconic scene. They could have used one of our pieces from "Night Shift" :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1307974395-6.9_battle_2193x276.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1307974384-6.9_battle_1189x274.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1308594626-6.19_Battle195x276.jpg

jhanic
03-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Just arrived today:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/Battlegroundproof.jpg

John

biomieg
03-16-2012, 08:03 AM
I understand why they chose to use it but the cover is indeed horrible. For me the main problem is that it's an actual photo (or movie still) - for some reason I absolutely hate photographic covers on fiction books.

jhanic
03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree wholeheartedly!

John

biomieg
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't know, it probably shouldn't bother me but I just like illustrations/paintings better. They fit better with the subject of fiction (and photos always seem so 'staged' and sort of bland). Anyway! It's a nice acquisition that definitely belongs in your massive proof/ARC collection.

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 04:28 PM
I understand why they chose to use it but the cover is indeed horrible. For me the main problem is that it's an actual photo (or movie still) - for some reason I absolutely hate photographic covers on fiction books.
It's not intended as a "fiction book", it's a Commemoration of the television adaptation. Thus it was deemed fitting to use a screen shot from the short movie. Think of it this way: You wouldn't want a photo of James Cameron on the cover of the Commemorative DVD of "Avatar", and you wouldn't want an artists drawing on the cover of the Commemorative edition of "The Terminator".

Jimimck
03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry but regardless of it being in commemoration of the show or not, I don't think it's fitting cos it's just awful. The font, the picture, all of it. They could have done so much better. I'm a huge fan of the story and even enjoyed the show, but no way I'm buying any edition of this cos the cover screams poor production to me...

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry but regardless of it being in commemoration of the show or not, I don't think it's fitting cos it's just awful. The font, the picture, all of it. They could have done so much better. I'm a huge fan of the story and even enjoyed the show, but no way I'm buying any edition of this cos the cover screams poor production to me...
You have a valid opinion, and as a consumer can and should choose what you want to buy-but...if the old saying-don't judge a "Commemoration" by its cover....To this day I dislike (hate) the blurred effect on the covers of the S/L. and AE DT VI and VII that Donald M. Grant did, but I sure bought them, like a pig at the trough I lapped them up.

EDIT: And from a SK collecting standpoint I can see that the primary interest is that King only signed 26 lettered copies. I don't think there will be but one or two PC's with Kings signature on them. Completists will have to have one (and pony up >$1K). That certainly doesn't bode well for Gauntlet selling the other versions.
Barry had a chance, and the rights to do the book. If he didn't, no one else would have, and thus there would be one less SK lettered book in the world.

Merlin1958
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
You know what? The heck with it all, I like it and just became the high bidder for the Fundraiser copy up for sale!!!!!

I think it's a kinda unique and cool item, IMHO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200728441957?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

In fact, if no one objects RF, I'll do it outside of ebay to save the fundraiser fees. I'm willing to go to $60 + s/h. I'll just "gift" ya the funds. Anyone object to that? It's one more "proof" in my collection and I love the story. Please share your thoughts!!!! I don't want to do anything unethical to anyone. It's charity, right?

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
You know what? The heck with it all, I like it and just became the high bidder for the Fundraiser copy up for sale!!!!!

I think it's a kinda unique and cool item, IMHO.

In fact, if no one objects RF, I'll do it outside of ebay to save the fundraiser fees. I'm willing to go to $60 + s/h. I'll just "gift" ya the funds. Anyone object to that? It's one more "proof" in my collection and I love the story. Please share your thoughts!!!! I don't want to do anything unethical to anyone. It's charity, right?
Even though there will be fees, the best way to sell it once it is listed is to let the auction take place-it would just be too much like "insider trading" to close it now. Certainly if someone made an astounding offer it would be accepted by members as fair, but for now just bid $500 on it, and if no one bids it more than $50 it will all work out well for both you and the fundraiser.

divemaster
03-16-2012, 07:20 PM
If Merlin bids $500, then I'll bid $490!

Randall Flagg
03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
This book is a kick in the pants! Of the stories TNT did as part of the 8 hour mini-series "Stephen King's Nightmares & Dreamscapes", this one has always resonated with me.
There are many behind the scenes portions that are fascinating. The interviews alone are reason to buy the book-but wait, you get more! Unseen (to the public) storyboards that read like their own Graphic Novel, special effects pictures and descriptions, cinematography information that is keen, and would certainly help today's rank amateurs shooting a movie with there cell phones, a fascinating discussion on how the movie music was composed-including music notes. I've never seen anything like this!-OH, and you also get the Matheson screenplay, interviews with the Director, William Hurt, and others involved with the production.
Money well spent. Buy the book, read it, watch the movie, and reread King's short story (included in the book). Hours and hours of entertainment.
I give it 6 beers on the 6 pack rating system.

Ben Staad
03-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Just to be clear...is this six Miller 64's or are these a manlier brew such as GUINNESS EXTRA STOUT?

P.S. BTW this was a great review with awesome info.

herbertwest
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
This book is a kick in the pants! Of the stories TNT did as part of the 8 hour mini-series "Stephen King's Nightmares & Dreamscapes", this one has always resonated with me.
There are many behind the scenes portions that are fascinating. The interviews alone are reason to buy the book-but wait, you get more! Unseen (to the public) storyboards that read like their own Graphic Novel, special effects pictures and descriptions, cinematography information that is keen, and would certainly help today's rank amateurs shooting a movie with there cell phones, a fascinating discussion on how the movie music was composed-including music notes. I've never seen anything like this!-OH, and you also get the Matheson screenplay, interviews with the Director, William Hurt, and others involved with the production.
Money well spent. Buy the book, read it, watch the movie, and reread King's short story (included in the book). Hours and hours of entertainment.

-------------------
MY review :

I must admit that when i heard that Gauntlet Press wanted to make a book about that short story, and more precisely about its adaptation, i was a bit skeptical about the interest of such a book.. because the story is pretty short : how to make a complete book about it?

But Gauntlet Press managed to put together a really interesting set of interviews and contributions from all sorts of people involved in this episod : from the screenwriter to the producers, the SFx experts, the composer... and let's not forget, William Hunt, which is known worldwide as an actor with a "specific" voice, but that had to do his performance without saying any word.

This book cannot be read... one can only devour it.

In my opinion, the 3 main elements of this book are : Stephen King's short story, Richard Christian Matheson's script, and the storyboard (which can be read as easily as a graphic novel. Well, once again, it cannot be read : one would find himself turning the pages compulsively!).

The storyboard itself is a good reason to buy this book

Randall Flagg
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Barry at Gauntlet Press has extended a special offer to members here.
"Anyone who purchases the signed ($125) edition of BATTLEGROUND will get a free unsigned copy of ILLUSTRATED MASQUES."
YOU MUST in the Comment's section write "Free Illustrated Masques."
Gauntlet Link to Battleground (http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=Battleground&ORDER_ID=160843722)

George at C-Springs
03-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Stephen King's Battleground S/L #26 of 125 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Christian-Matheson-Stephen-Kings-Battleground-Numbered-Issue-1st-2012/293882750584?hash=item446cc6e678:g:JVEAAOSw8QRfzzv O)

$166 BIN or Make Offer; issue price was $125; not signed by King

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/battleground2.jpg

Merlin1958
03-06-2021, 07:31 PM
Stephen King's Battleground S/L #26 of 125 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Christian-Matheson-Stephen-Kings-Battleground-Numbered-Issue-1st-2012/293882750584?hash=item446cc6e678:g:JVEAAOSw8QRfzzv O)

Ya know, I really want one of these for some reason, but it still seems to be a little too pricey IMO. I'd go for it in the $100-125 range.

amd013
03-06-2021, 10:02 PM

Ya know, I really want one of these for some reason, but it still seems to be a little too pricey IMO. I'd go for it in the $100-125 range.

Well, looks like it is still available from Gauntlet Press for the original 125. But it says there are 998 of the limited edition and 499 of the numbered edition in stock, so take it for what its worth.

I bought one from Gauntlet Press in Nov 2018. He forgot to write a number designation, and I emailed him about it and he said he forgot in his rush, and said to write 111 in as the number. So maybe there were still 14 left at the time.

https://www.gauntletpress.com/product/stephen-kings-battleground/

I think I may have gotten the last of the optional slipcases.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-07-2021, 07:17 AM
Just for no reason I took a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/lUMjeDO.jpg