fernandito
11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
The Joker (The Dark Knight)
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/thejoker-1.jpg

Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/indianajones.jpg

fernandito
11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules, and tonight you're gonna break your one rule ...

candy
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
i think this may turn into a one horse race, as a character as much as i love Indy, its got to be Joker

fernandito
11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
i think this may turn into a one horse race ...

Don't be so sure! The Joker was leading by as many as 8 votes in the semi finals, and he just managed to beat McMurphy by one vote!

And besides, I think there are just as many Indy lovers here as there are Jokerites :)

cozener
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but saying you like the Joker more than McMurphy is a lot different than saying you like him more than Indy. Really, you're selection of the contestants in each poll has determined the outcome just as much as how we all vote.

fernandito
11-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Really, you're selection of the contestants in each poll has determined the outcome just as much as how we all vote.

Well, that's always a given. My point was that you never know which way the wheel will turn. In the first round, Blondie from The Good The Bad & Ugly absolutely dominated the competition, and in the next round he had virtually no votes.

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
For me, at this point, this match-up begs the question of whether the Joker really could in fact be a greater character than Hannibal Lecter, whom Indy bested earlier. :orely:
This is tough. Jones probably is actually more realistic, though the Joker may be actually more profound... all of which is very odd, these dynamics of making a call between two characters each of which is basically a famed pop culture icon.

Sam
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
What it's really going to come to is how badly Heath Ledger is going to beat Indiana Jones. The fact that Ledger died, and The Joker was his final role is going to play against Ford's Indiana Jones. The tragedy of Ledger's death allowed the character to reach near mythic levels before the film ever came out. This combined with a really great acting perfomance by Ledger to create something that becomes akin to a revered role. Add to that the recentness of said role and I think Indiana Jones, a much older character that has always been part of the film world for a great many people, has zero chance of beating the juggernaut of Ledger's The Joker.

Don't get me wrong, Ledger did a wonderful job with a truly iconic character. I just think that time has yet to tell if his character has longevity. I believe it does (Ledger's Joker reminds me in more than one way of Brandon Lee's Eric Draven), but I feel that we'll have a better feel for that after a decade has passed.

I just realised that no one named Errol Flynn's Robin Hood (unless I missed it). I'm kicking myself in the head right now.

Merlin1958
11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Indy is waaayyy more iconic than Heath Ledgers Joker. Whilst I agree Heath "killed the part" it was one and done. Indy has made it to 4 movies and is lexicon. Only choice IMHO. Now if you're talking "best Performance" all time well then that's a horse of a different color!!!

fernandito
11-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Heath only needed 1 movie :)

Sam
11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
After Brokeback Mountain, he needed several. ;)

John Blaze
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Joker, and I can't believe this is even close

Melike
11-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Joker, and I can't believe this is even close

Me too.

Woofer
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Indy from Raiders = Badass awesome
Indy from Temple = Little too much of a parody of himself, just as the movie was
Indy from Last Crusade = Better than Temple, not as good as Raiders
Indy from Crystal Skull = Haven't been intrigued enough from the trailers and friends' reviews to see it

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 01:33 AM
it wasn't that bad.

Woofer
11-18-2009, 01:50 AM
How was it on my scale of the other Indy movies?

turtlex
11-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Ugh. This was tough for me but had to go with Indy as he's a character with more depth and personal history.

Sam - I disagree with you about Heath... he made the character amazing, but most of that was the fact that Heath got lost in the character and was no longer Heath anymore. I believe that sincerely. ( and back of Brokeback, mister, I loved that movie :P )

My Ranking of Indiana Jones movies :
Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull ... Tied for being sucky. ( the movies, not the characters )

Crystal Skull was just plain disappointing, and :meh: but it was nice seeing Marion again.

Oh, yeah, and I had a dog named Indiana, after Indy. :blush:

From Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade :
Sallah: Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
Professor Henry Jones: That's his name.
[points to himself] Professor Henry Jones: Henry Jones...
[points to Indy] Professor Henry Jones: ...Junior.
Indiana Jones: I like "Indiana."
Professor Henry Jones: We named the *dog* Indiana.
Marcus Brody: May we go home now, please?
Sallah: The dog? [starts laughing] Sallah: You are named after the dog? HA HA HA...!
Indiana Jones: I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog

cozener
11-18-2009, 05:33 AM
How was it on my scale of the other Indy movies? Not as good as Temple of Doom. Not much about it was memorable. At least Temple had some memorable scenes (like the opening scene in the night club, excellent. And c'mon Turtle...don't you just want to snatch up Shortround and snuggle him to death? :lol:)

Lily-sai
11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
*gasp*

My nomination made it to the finals?? And now you know who I'm voting. :evil:

Sam
11-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Sam - I disagree with you about Heath... he made the character amazing, but most of that was the fact that Heath got lost in the character and was no longer Heath anymore. I believe that sincerely. ( and back of Brokeback, mister, I loved that movie :P )

I think what I was trying to say got lost. I do agree with you Pam that the actor became lost in the character. What I was trying to say was that because that was his last role, and because it WAS so good, the role became revered by fans (and still is I think). People will always think of Ledger when they think of film versions of Joker, but they will always wonder just how good he could have been too. And his role will always be tied to that sort of feeling (at least until his fans become old people and forget who they are and who he was :P).

Btw, Indiana Jones is STILL the better character.:dance:

cozener
11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
There will be another Joker in 20 years when some filmmakers decide to rehash Batman again. Not so sure that there will be another Indy, though. (but I still voted for Joker)

turtlex
11-18-2009, 07:44 AM
How was it on my scale of the other Indy movies? Not as good as Temple of Doom. Not much about it was memorable. At least Temple had some memorable scenes (like the opening scene in the night club, excellent. And c'mon Turtle...don't you just want to snatch up Shortround and snuggle him to death? :lol:)

I loved the opening sequence, for sure. I loved it. It was classic, especially incorporating the Paramount logo. Vintage... as for ShortRound... No. Now Willie ( Kate Capshaw ) ... there I'd go to snuggle to death. :blush:

Thinking on it now, I agree, Coz. Temple was better than Crystal Skull. I'm with you on that one now. :thumbsup:

*gasp*

My nomination made it to the finals?? And now you know who I'm voting. :evil:

You're going to vote for Indiana Jones. :P

I think what I was trying to say got lost. I do agree with you Pam that the actor became lost in the character. What I was trying to say was that because that was his last role, and because it WAS so good, the role became revered by fans (and still is I think). People will always think of Ledger when they think of film versions of Joker, but they will always wonder just how good he could have been too. And his role will always be tied to that sort of feeling (at least until his fans become old people and forget who they are and who he was :P).

Btw, Indiana Jones is STILL the better character.:dance:

Oh. Then I agree completely. :D

Woofer
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
OMG, worse than Temple?

*weeps for the memory of Indy-that-was*

pathoftheturtle
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Much. much. worse. Sorry, Woofer.
There will be another Joker in 20 years when some filmmakers decide to rehash Batman again. Not so sure that there will be another Indy, though. (but I still voted for Joker)That's a good point. <_< But why would it contradict your vote? Maybe it makes Indy more unique or distinctive... but at the same time, *sigh* doesn't it imply something about how great the Joker character is?

LadyHitchhiker
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I loved every Indiana Jones movie. Even Crystal Skull. He has my vote all the way.

Like others have said, Heath did a oneshot as the Joker. Now if we were just going with the character OF the Joker and not just Dark Knight, well I might have to ponder some because I love me some Joker.

cozener
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Much. much. worse. Sorry, Woofer.
There will be another Joker in 20 years when some filmmakers decide to rehash Batman again. Not so sure that there will be another Indy, though. (but I still voted for Joker)That's a good point. <_< But why would it contradict your vote? Maybe it makes Indy more unique or distinctive... but at the same time, *sigh* doesn't it imply something about how great the Joker character is? It doesn't contradict it. I was just saying that Indy is less replicable than the Joker but I realized that by saying that I might be giving the impression that I voted for Indy when I didn't. As great a character as Ledger's Joker is they'll be another Joker coming along in a decade or two. To my mind this makes Indy more iconic than Ledger's Joker (even if, pound for pound, Joker was the better character). In 40 years, I think there's a good chance that we'll look back on Indy in nostalgia similar to that connected to George Bailey or Rick from Casablanca. I don't see this happening for Joker because they'll be other Jokers.

On a side note, the Joker is my favorite villain...not only in comicdom but in general. So when you have him acted so well its going to be very very hard for anyone to take my vote from him.

Hey there's an idea for a Best Movie this or that poll....Best Movie Antagonist....not Villain mind you...antagonist. The word "villain" allows for anti-heroes like Michael Corleone who is, without a doubt, a villain. But he's also the protagonist of the story he's part of. (Alan Rickman's "Hans" from Die Hard comes to mind)

LadyHitchhiker
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Oooooooooooooooh antagonist poll? I like that!!!

Woofer
11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Oooooooooooooooh Alan Rickman? I like that!!!

fernandito
11-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Tied at 12 ! What a finaaaaleeee!!! :onfire:

turtlex
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
There's a long time until the poll closes... ( on 11-24-2009 at 01:06 PM ) ... plenty of time to recruit your friends !

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Glad I waited until my vote for Indy mattered the most.

bwahahaha

fernandito
11-19-2009, 05:57 AM
:cry:

cozener
11-19-2009, 06:04 AM
There's still time, feev. :)

Melike
11-19-2009, 07:12 AM
:o Joker!! :(

Still Servant
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm...sorry Nando.

He's part of my childhood.:cry:

pathoftheturtle
11-21-2009, 11:51 AM
If we count the Batman comics, then we also have to count "Young Indiana Jones" from TV. :D

LadyHitchhiker
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
For your enjoyment, fine people:
YouTube- Indiana Jones Theme Song (Full Song)

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I absolutely LOVED Ledger's performance as "The Joker" but I can't believe this is close!!!!

Myste
11-22-2009, 04:34 AM
One more for Indy. Sorry Joker, never voted for you, not now either....

John Blaze
11-22-2009, 07:20 AM
that clip of the indy jones reminds me of the James Bond Jr. Cartoons.

"the name is Bond. James Bond. ......Jr." i used to love those.

turtlex
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Two great characters - I'm not surprised it's close at all... but I'm still pulling for Indy !!

John Blaze
11-22-2009, 02:29 PM
2 more days, and I really hope Joker wins. I like Indy, but his character doesn't have the strength of presence that Heath's Joker does, IMO.

Still Servant
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
2 more days, and I really hope Joker wins. I like Indy, but his character doesn't have the strength of presence that Heath's Joker does, IMO.

Two more days? Yeah right, Feev isn't going to close this poll until The Joker takes the lead.

:lol:

fernandito
11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
You've said too much :ninja:

Still Servant
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
You've said too much :ninja:

*is found bloated on the shore of a river*

turtlex
11-24-2009, 03:37 AM
We're in the final hours !!

Sam
11-24-2009, 07:27 PM
YAY!!!! Indiana Jones won!!!:rock:

Or rather The Joker didn't win!!!:rock:

Yay!!!:rock::rock::rock:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Agreed

turtlex
11-25-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm very happy !

Melike
11-25-2009, 04:20 AM
:cry:

Jean
11-25-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm very happy !
I am very unhappy, and would be with either outcome.

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm neither happy nor unhappy. Funny that I never did make up my mind between these last two, but I really don't think that I either is seriously the Best Movie Character of All Time. Still, this whole thing was pretty fun. :)