PDA

View Full Version : And one final word...

Gaberax
11-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Not sure if this is the proper forum...if not, someone in authority please move it...anyway,

This morning I was thinking about a dear friend whose funeral I attended a couple of years ago. The cemetery was small, but old, and as I was leaving, I stopped to read a beautiful poem on one of the other headstones. It described the young (at the time of death) man's work, from the poem some sort of mathematical career, and how the time had come to put his slide rule away. It was very touching.

Anyway, as I was thinking about my friend, I was thinking “What would be on my headstone? What would my final words to the world be? And as the train slowly crawled into the city this cold, gray morning, I imagined a somber, dark, rain-soaked stone jutting from the ground and the words I imagined written there made me smile:

If the sun's now shining and it’s a beautiful day
Go on and play,
And think of me.

If the rain is now falling and the wild winds blow
Find yourself a warm place to go
And think of me

But if it's now the dark of night
TURN OFF THAT LIGHT!
I’m trying to sleep

~Gaberax

What would your headstone say?

Jon
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice ending, Gabe!

Brice
11-14-2009, 05:02 AM
What would your headstone say?

No name
No date
One word only

Vacant

Jean
11-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Fine my friends, only if we want to keep this thread in Bird&Bear (I know I do), please post only those epitaphs for yourself that are poems, or may pass for such; that is, follow Gaberax's example, not Brice's
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_artistic.gif

Brice
11-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Mine was a poem. The part you overlooked was metered silence.

Jean
11-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I thought as much. I've seen them all in Bird&Bear...

Brice
11-14-2009, 07:18 AM
;)