PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Through the Keyhole-Collecting Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-12-2009, 12:36 AM
The working title of the latest Dark Tower book is "The Wind Through the Keyhole". It is set between W & G and Wolves and does not deal directly with the main characters.

SKMB Mod:
Stephen has given me permission to pass along that he has an idea for a new Dark Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months before he is able to begin writing it.

So what do you think? A Dark Tower novel without the Ka Tet?

lophophoras
11-12-2009, 05:30 AM
It'll be interesting.

:orely:

e_taylor
11-12-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm conflicted. I liked the way the series was wrapped up, and to tamper with that seems wrong.

BUT... more dark tower is always a good thing.

So, hmmmm.....

mae
11-12-2009, 06:00 AM
If you treat this as a standalone DT novel outside the main seven, which it appears to be, then there shouldn't be a problem. I can't wait. I'm guessing a 2011 release date?

biomieg
11-12-2009, 06:02 AM
If you treat this as a standalone DT novel outside the main seven, which it appears to be, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. In all probability it will be something akin to LSOE, only longer (hopefully, oh I don't know, 1000+ pages? :)). Not meant to change our perception of the DT saga, but rather to give it some additional substance. I do hope King will not turn out too Tolkienesque, however, I wouldn't want to be bothered with all kinds of unfinished tales, family trees, linguistic essays etcetera in the years to come (is this a sacrilegious thing to say? :D)

mae
11-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Not even LSOE, because that has Roland. This would deal with secondary characters, or perhaps all-new characters, but set in the DT universe.

e_taylor
11-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Not even LSOE, because that has Roland. This would deal with secondary characters, or perhaps all-new characters, but set in the DT universe.

My fear with that is that if King opens the door to other stories set in the universe, after his death we will see a plethora of "Dark Tower Tales" that will sully the series - much like the endless books in Ludlum's Bourne series and others.

I think if it were to stay as is it would remain "sacred" so to speak.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much. More DT does tickle my fancy!

biomieg
11-12-2009, 06:41 AM
I agree with you Eric, hence my Tolkien remark. I'm not actually worried, but after this upcoming DT novel King should leave the DT universe alone. Not because there's nothing more to tell, but because sometimes there's no need to.

Clacke
11-12-2009, 07:33 AM
And will there be a signed limited from Grant.....:orely:

wizardsrainbow
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Whatever comes of this, I will LOVE it. If I could be transported, the Dark Tower world is where I would hope to end up. Your points about "damaging" the series are valid to be sure, but I am always hungry for more info, BUT only if it is from King's imagination.

lophophoras
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Whatever comes of this, I will LOVE it. If I could be transported, the Dark Tower world is where I would hope to end up. Your points about "damaging" the series are valid to be sure, but I am always hungry for more info, BUT only if it is from King's imagination.

:thumbsup:

jemaher
11-12-2009, 08:46 AM
More Dt universe can not be a bad thing coming from sai king...
Any word on weather there will be a grant sl?

mae
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Any word on weather there will be a grant sl?

It's sold out :cyclops:

ICry4Oy
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
It shouldn't surprise anyone that Sai King will be doing this. After living in the DT world through his words for so many months, I didn't want it to end and why should he. This is great news to me!

sofaki
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
This is GREAT news!! i recently finished reading the series and i cant get over, its very hard to know that there is no more dark tower stories. And now there is a hope!!! Even if it doesnt include the old characters (which is better), it will be set inside DT world (my favorite world) and i will LOVE it, since it will be written by sai King!!!:rock:

mae
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
What does everyone think of the title? I know it doesn't tell us much, if anything - but keyholes means doors, and that's cool right there :) Plus I think it's just a very cool and unusual title.

Matt
11-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I am very much open to a new story on the subject of the Tower, any more insight we can gain from King in that arena is really cool.

I just opened Under the Dome and I always read other writers but starting a King book is like putting on an old comfortable sweater.

MacarDeschain
11-12-2009, 10:10 AM
This book could go any where or when? Yes as you say that is will take place between W&G, and WotC, but I hope that it goes more in to Tet Corp. But I guess that will be dealt with in Discordia.

Darkthoughts
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I just opened Under the Dome and I always read other writers but starting a King book is like putting on an old comfortable sweater.

QFT! :cool:

mae
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if TWTTK touched upon the stuff in the comic and/or Discordia.

flaggwalkstheline
11-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I wanta patrick danville novel!!!:nana:

LBD 3
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
More DT is always welcome!

Patrick
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also I look forward to a DMG S/L edition. Hopefully the same size/feel to complement the Grant LSOE editions and not something completely different.

Nerak
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
At this moment in time, we do not have a contract for the new book. So, if it's coming out in a year, it ain't comin from us. But bear in mind, Marsha said that he wouldn't be working on it until about 8 months from now.

And then there's the editing time and such..I am thinking, if he's finished with it in a year, it might take yet another year for it to come out.

Just my thoughts!

tippy4
11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
And by that time it is 2012 and the world has ended....so there will not be another DT book.

Brice
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
At this moment in time, we do not have a contract for the new book. So, if it's coming out in a year, it ain't comin from us. But bear in mind, Marsha said that he wouldn't be working on it until about 8 months from now.

And then there's the editing time and such..I am thinking, if he's finished with it in a year, it might take yet another year for it to come out.

Just my thoughts!

Or your boss does have a contract and is even keeping it secret from you for now. :P

Sir_Boomme
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm so looking foward to a 1000+ page novel with Gasher as the main character.:P

wizardsrainbow
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I know it might not "star" any of the usual characters, but Michael Whelan just did about 25 chartacter paintings for the Discordia project. They are awesome! He did ALL the major players in the DT series, so I wonder if Michael might be asked to illustrate the new book. One can hope!

Patrick
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
It would certainly be lovely if he were!

ICry4Oy
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm so looking foward to a 1000+ page novel with Gasher as the main character.:P

ILU :huglove:

NeedfulKings
11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I am very much open to a new story on the subject of the Tower, any more insight we can gain from King in that arena is really cool.

Matt--you are SO right about that! UTD is a comfortable read so far. You love characters and you love to hate characters. Perfect!

I wanta patrick danville novel!!!:nana:

Had you not said this, I would have. I would love a story that filled that lengthy gap.

All in all, another story, tucked deep within Roland's past doesn't excite me as much as something involving our loved tet. But, I'll get it. I'll read it. I'll keep it.

Patrick
11-12-2009, 10:48 PM
If the novel were as good as LSOE, I'd be quite excited about another story tucked deep within Roland's past.

Nerak
11-12-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah, no contract :(

lophophoras
11-13-2009, 06:47 AM
:orely:

mae
11-13-2009, 06:51 AM
yeah, no contract :(

To paraphrase Homer from Under the Dome, The Simpsons Movie: "No contract so far."

alinda
11-13-2009, 07:46 AM
My 2 cents? Wootness, I am ready for any King , anytime, especially DT related.
:rock:

ladysai
11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Wootness, I am ready for any King , anytime, especially DT related.
:rock:
You took the words right out of my mouth!

This is great news!
:excited:

Calla_Wolf
11-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I greeted the news with caution. Whilst i enjoyed the DT series as a whole, I loved and adored and drowned myself in the first three books. After that, somehow, it didn't quite grip in the same way. King was still a raw talent when he wrote the Gunslinger and I, for one, thought the rewrite kinda diluted that rawness. Of the later books, Song of Suz was the one that, IMO, recaptured that rawness. The promise of more stories immediately makes me wonder which author will write them - the King of raw, hurtling story or the King of literary correctness.

I DO console myself with the afterthought that a new book will be written by KING...so the dialogue will be leaps and bounds above that to be found in the graphic novels, which is, frankly, drivel.

:pullhair:

ICry4Oy
11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
The story of the ruined city where Gasher & TickTock & Blane (Blain?) lived would please me!

biomieg
11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
The story of the ruined city where Gasher & TickTock & Blane (Blain?) lived would please me!

Lud.
Blaine.

;)

flaggwalkstheline
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I wanted to see more of the ticktock man...

frik
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I greeted the news with caution. Whilst i enjoyed the DT series as a whole, I loved and adored and drowned myself in the first three books. After that, somehow, it didn't quite grip in the same way.

Me...the first four books only went uphill; Wizard and Glass especially was an incredible read - a touching love story, great action scenes, amazing characters, like Rhea. As close to perfection as we'll ever get.

sk

Calla_Wolf
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I greeted the news with caution. Whilst i enjoyed the DT series as a whole, I loved and adored and drowned myself in the first three books. After that, somehow, it didn't quite grip in the same way.

Me...the first four books only went uphill; Wizard and Glass especially was an incredible read - a touching love story, great action scenes, amazing characters, like Rhea. As close to perfection as we'll ever get.

sk

One of the negative influences for me as far as W&G was concerned was the fact that King stopped reading the audio books. If you've never heard Steve read the first three books, you've yet to experience the full depth and breadth of the Tower stories

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
If you've never heard Steve read the first three books, you've yet to experience the full depth and breadth of the Tower stories

I second that. King was a good reader, alhough he did not think that himself. I would still like him to read the last 4 books, but that would take hundreds of hours of his time.

Randall Flagg
11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
King's voice left something to be desired, but when he read something he himslef had written, I felt confident there was nothing lost in the "translation".

Ari_Racing
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Gotta hear'em then! Which years are the audiobooks he read?

MonteGss
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
...I always read other writers but starting a King book is like putting on an old comfortable sweater.

I cannot think of a more perfect way to say it.

*edit*

Also, in a more direst response to the thread:

I welcome any addition to the novels of the DT saga...so long as Robin F'n Furth doesn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
:)

Scoogs
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Excellent. I didn't like SoS at all and TDT was just ok, but I wouldn't mind seeing another book expanding upon the series. I haven't read any of the series since TDT was published, so it will be a good excuse for a reread.

I'm actually hoping he'll eventually tell the story of the old guys corp. (Tet?) that he hints at in TDT.

Patrick
11-20-2009, 09:31 PM
One of the negative influences for me as far as W&G was concerned was the fact that King stopped reading the audio books. If you've never heard Steve read the first three books, you've yet to experience the full depth and breadth of the Tower stories
My introduction to The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three was through King reading them to me via audiotapes. :thumbsup:

ola
11-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm actually hoping he'll eventually tell the story of the old guys corp. (Tet?) that he hints at in TDT.

It looks like Discordia might cover some of that.

frik
11-21-2009, 08:21 AM
If you've never heard Steve read the first three books, you've yet to experience the full depth and breadth of the Tower stories

I don't know....:orely:
I've listened to King reading The Gunslinger, and I wasn't impressed. I thought the reading was..ehm, flat...

I prefer reading my Kingbooks.

sk

Jergen19
11-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I dont know if I'm ok with the series spinning off without Roland. I would like to hear more stories like Wizard and Glass (greatest of the series) But he has to keep Roland in. I'm so excited!

mikeyw
09-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Its been a while since I dipped into the SK world - work and life seems to have steered me away from my passion for The Dark Tower, so whilst surfing tonight finding that Mr King plans to write another volume is HUGE NEWS!!!!

So, it does seem to have gone quiet on this on the forum - I wonder if the missing contract for DMG has been sorted and I need to make space on my bookshelf for another treasured volume?

Nerak
09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
no contract as of yet!

mikeyw
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
oh well, fingers crossed that it happens soonly - about time we had another quality SK ltd from DMG.....he really ought to let you have more books....

frik
09-30-2010, 05:29 AM
So, it does seem to have gone quiet on this on the forum - I wonder if the missing contract for DMG has been sorted and I need to make space on my bookshelf for another treasured volume?

Missing contract?? What happened???

sk

wizardsrainbow
12-17-2010, 12:46 AM
I have it on very good authority that King has started writing this new Dark Tower tale. Leaned the news at the King signing in Portsmouth NH Dec 2.

Rahfa
12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
oh well, fingers crossed that it happens soonly - about time we had another quality SK ltd from DMG.....he really ought to let you have more books....

Hopefully Grant does this one...can't imagine it going to anyone else.

Funny, though...Tippy made the valid point in another thread that Grant has done five limited editions in the last 10 years - Black House, DT V-VII and LSOE - so they're not exactly treated unfairly.

CD has done four, I believe, in approx. the same span - Buick 8, SOD I+II and FDNS. Am I missing some? I'm just going off memroy.

But WITK will be a Grant book certainly.

turtlex
12-17-2010, 07:30 AM
I have it on very good authority that King has started writing this new Dark Tower tale. Leaned the news at the King signing in Portsmouth NH Dec 2.

:rock: It's like an early Christmas present!

Thanks, David!

jhanic
12-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Funny, though...Tippy made the valid point in another thread that Grant has done five limited editions in the last 10 years - Black House, DT V-VII and LSOE - so they're not exactly treated unfairly.

CD has done four, I believe, in approx. the same span - Buick 8, SOD I+II and FDNS. Am I missing some? I'm just going off memroy.

For CD, you might want to include Lonely Roads' Riding the Bullet.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
12-17-2010, 08:28 AM

For CD, you might want to include Lonely Roads' Riding the Bullet.

John

Blockade Billy should go in there as well

Mulleins

Rahfa
12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Ah...knew I was forgetting a couple (although with only the lettered signed, I don't think I count RTB).

mae
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Great news, thanks!

LostAlivE
12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I hope the story has something to do with Patrick. Would really like to know about him and the story that surrounds him.

blavigne
12-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I just don't know about a DT that isn't about Roland. Ok, I'll admit, I have a "Roland thing" big-big.

No matter what the focus is, I am sure I will read it anyway. :)

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I hope the story has something to do with Patrick. Would really like to know about him and the story that surrounds him.

Good Point!!! It would be cool to find out how he ended up in Mid-World!!!

thegreattim
12-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree. Since Furth "stole" the chance for King to tell about the battle of Jericho Hill and the fall of Gilead, I would be most interested in reading Patrick's back story. That being said, I will more than happily read anything set in Mid-World. I'm jonesing for some new stories. I'd also like to see someday, a collection of shorts dedicated entirely to Mid-World.

Nerak
12-18-2010, 05:31 AM
When I hear something about a contract I will let y'all know!!

lophophoras
12-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Ari_Racing
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't see that the comics prevent King from telling the story of Jericho Hill, fall of Gilead and whatever he wants to write about. I'm pretty sure we'll know more about Sheemie and Rhea.

thegreattim
12-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't see that the comics prevent King from telling the story of Jericho Hill, fall of Gilead and whatever he wants to write about. I'm pretty sure we'll know more about Sheemie and Rhea.

That's true I suppose, but the comics do address a lot of what went unsaid in the books and I just don't see King diving into that area where his assistant already explored.

Ari_Racing
12-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Yes, I understand that maybe that'll be covered territory for King, but still...if he has something in mind, I believe he will write about it.

thegreattim
12-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Very true!

WeDealInLead
12-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't mind King rewritting all that Furth stuff. He should just come out and say her stuff sucked and write a proper version.

thegreattim
12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't mind King rewritting all that Furth stuff. He should just come out and say her stuff sucked and write a proper version.

:lol::wtf::lol:

For what it's worth (I'm making no judgments yet), In the most recent interview with Ron Howard he said that he and his team have been incorporating a lot of Furth's comic stuff into their plotting discussions.

"Howard said the 36 issues that have been published so far absolutely inform his own view of the mythology. “It’s the ongoing evolution of the characters and the discovery,” Howard said of the comics that are plotted by Robin Furth and scripted by Peter David with King overseeing everything as creative director. “There are new interpretations of the rules of the world and the story. It’s a really useful and compelling part of this already fascinating creative journey that we’re on.”

Although I should probably not divert this thread to the movie discussion... So um, what ever King writes for WitK, I'm sure will please me.

Merlin1958
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM

You should whisper in some one's ear there to look into a Ltd for the Gunslinger comics. I'd buy that!!!!!

biomieg
12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I pretty much decided not to buy any 'limiteds' anymore but I will gladly make an exception for any upcoming Grant King book.

Ari_Racing
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
This was posted on SK.com

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

Steve King

Randall Flagg
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
WOO HOO! I sure hope Grant Books has the rights.

Robert Fulman
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Dear SK,

Keep on walkin', dude.

- RF

nyy3723a
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice!

Ricky
03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Man, TWO new books announced? What's the catch? I think he's preparing us for when he dies. :lol:

olverts
03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Cant wait to read it :)

LostAlivE
03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Could the severed head on the fencepost be that of Rhea of the Coos? It is going to be fun reading about what happened to them after Wizard and Glass. I have always wondered about that.

nyy3723a
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I wonder if Nerak can share if there's been a spike in the web traffic to https://secure.grantbooks.com/ today. I know I went there right after I was at sk.com

Ben Staad
03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I contacted Grant earlier today and they didn't have any comment on the new book other then "What was on SK website". :(

jhanic
03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Ms Mod also posted this:

Within the next couple of days (maybe today, but that's iffy), we'll be putting up a poll for fans to tell us who they might like to illustrate the book. There will be a few new names there as well.

So we get to, maybe, select who illustrates the new book.

John

biomieg
03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Ms Mod also posted this:

Within the next couple of days (maybe today, but that's iffy), we'll be putting up a poll for fans to tell us who they might like to illustrate the book. There will be a few new names there as well.

So we get to, maybe, select who illustrates the new book.

John

I wonder if this only refers to the cover art or if it means that there will be interior illustrations as well (which suggests a possible Grant production)...

jhanic
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I took it to mean both the cover and interior illustrations. I think either Grant or Cemetery Dance could handle these.

John

biomieg
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Cemetery Dance has done a lot of nice work, especially with the recent books. But it would be kind of strange to have a CD book sandwiched between the Grant editions (yes, I would put it between DTIV and DTV on my shelf). The artwork needs to include the keyhole symbol on the spine of the Grant trade edition and of course, we need an artist edition and a signed/limited edition as well. Imagine the glaring holes in our collections if only a trade edition gets issued!!

WeDealInLead
03-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Michael Whelan. Pay him a million bucks (pocket change to SK anyway) to drop whatever he's doing and paint something ridicilously awesome. No Chadbourne or Chong please. Good artists in their own ways but they seem to be on/in everything.

These news brightened up my day. Can't wait.

Ari_Racing
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Even when I love Michael Whelan's works, for this book I'd like Mark Stutzman to illustrate it. I'm positive he can make an incredible work.

Bev Vincent
03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
The illustrator poll is now up: http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/21090-Which-artist-would-you-like-to-have-illustrate-The-Wind-Through-the-Keyhole

Ricky
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
It'd be interesting to see Stutzman's take on some DT art. But, if given the option, I'd vote for Dameron.

And just speculating here, but if Grant were to do an S/L of TWTTK, I wonder if having a LSOE S/L # gives purchasing rights to customers? :orely:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
And just speculating here, but if Grant were to do an S/L of TWTTK, I wonder if having a LSOE S/L # gives purchasing rights to customers? :orely:

No. As King says the book is DT 4.5 you will have to own DT 4 AND DT 5 to qualify.

Kidding.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I hope it IS only a trade edition so I don't have to declare Chapter 13 next year!

But if it is done as a limited I hope Grant does it.

I'd like Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell to illustrate it, but that will never happen

gsvec
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Definitely hope it's a Grant!

swintek
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Oh, this simply HAS to be published by DMG! Anything else would be sacrilege. As far as illustrator- the idea with the series was to get someone new with each book, with the obvious, perfect exception of Whelan first and last. In the spirit of that, it would have to be somebody that hasn't done one of the other 5 volumes. I'm surprised to see the other DT artist alumni up on the poll. And as much as I love even Whelan, I think it should be someone entirely new. I'll throw out Justin Sweet or Gary Gianni.

*EDIT* Based on holding to tradition, and the choices up on the poll, I just voted for Donato Giancola. Nice stuff!

Merlin1958
03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Grant has Gotta be the one. How could he do 1-7 with Grant and not do the 8th with them!!!! It would be sacriledge!!!! Dogs sleeping with cats................Total Chaos!!!!!!!

lol :P

tippy4
03-10-2011, 07:41 PM
You forgot LSOE....so really this would be the 9th book.

I hope Michael Whelan is not the illustrator.

Don't get me wrong, I like his work, but he has done three of the eight already.

I would like to see either Dameron, Hale, Wrightson, or someone new.

Merlin1958
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Actually, I didn't forget, 1-7 were original works. LSOE was a compilation of two previously published works.

CurtSeattle
03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cutter
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like his work, but he has done three of the eight already.

I agree with Tippy, it would be nice to see someone new and not the same old same old (and I do love his work), but it looks like the fans are going to vote in Whelan.

That Donato Giancola site has some great sci-fi and fantasy artwork, I would like to see a take on the Dark Tower from this artist.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
The poll is not binding.

Cutter
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
The poll is not binding.
Well I got my vote in anyway

frik
03-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Of course Grant is going to publish this book...illustrated by the great Bernie Wrightson!

sk

BigCoffinHunter
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Usually, Grant's method would be to first offer the next King S/L to those who purchased and/or now own the last one. In this case, it would be those who purchased Little Sisters of Eluria. It shouldn't make a difference whether you purchased Dark Tower 7 or not. The only time a previous purchase made a difference in the past was for Black House, where if you owned a copy of Talisman you had the right to secure that number (provided that you owned a copy of Wizard and Glass as well).

BigCoffinHunter
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Don't lie... You know you want Dave McKean. I know he's your favorite ;-)

Patrick
03-11-2011, 06:01 PM
There was a limited edition for each of the previous Dark Tower books, including the LSOE/GUNSLINGER. There will be one for this story as well.

DMG published the limited edition for each of the previous Dark Tower books, including the LSOE/GUNSLINGER. It will be the publisher for this story as well.

Owners of the most recently issued limited edition in the series, this time it is LSOE/GUNSLINGER, will have first right of refusal for a matching number. DMG always does it that way and it is the simplest logistically overall, and the fairest.

I love Whelan and the other past artists, however I would like to an artist completely new to the Dark Tower series do the illustrations. Off to check out that non-binding artist poll...

Brainslinger
03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't really mind who draws it, but I think it's good to give new artists a chance. For that reason I went with Gregory Manchess.

Incidentally, I realise I only have three illustrated copies of the DT books. That's the last three that came out! I picked up the rest as paperbacks without illustrations..

I'm fond of the mismatched bunch I've got though (I love my books, but I'm not a Calvin. :) ) and I doubt I'll be hunting replacements.

This picture (http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/images/the_artwork/wastelands/2.jpg) taken from the Waste Lands is excellent, though.

east-tennessee
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm so looking forward to reading the new book 4.5..that obtaining the limited is not that important..
I do believe that Grant will do the book, and I would like to see Jae Lee do the art work....
Brian...

Merlin1958
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Others may disagree, but I don't consider LSOE "a NEW DT book" as far as the story goes. DT is books 1-7 with the short story LSOE a prequel or prelude. Just MHO

If Grant released a Everything Eventual/DOTT would that be a "New DT book"? In your opinion? Niether would have advanced the story beyond what we already have is my point, I guess.

George at C-Springs
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Owners of the most recently issued limited edition in the series, this time it is LSOE/GUNSLINGER, will have first right of refusal for a matching number. DMG always does it that way and it is the simplest logistically overall, and the fairest.

I've never agreed with this at all, matter of fact I believe it to be the most unfair because it favors one group of individuals over everybody else. How could the most fair not be a lottery? If you want an S/L, you register ... they draw your name, you get one. If you don't, you get one later on the secondary market.

Rahfa
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM

I've never agreed with this at all, matter of fact I believe it to be the most unfair because it favors one group of individuals over everybody else. How could the most fair not be a lottery? If you want an S/L, you register ... they draw your name, you get one. If you don't, you get one later on the secondary market.

Not to get snarky, but yes, it does favor a group - the group called "their customers."

I understand what you're saying...but longtime customers should be accomodated first. Besides, there's always been a lottery for unclaimed books before.

WeDealInLead
03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
It also favours people who have multiple copies of LSOE and that's not OK.

I'd like to think of myself as their customer but I don't have a S/L of LSOE. Guess I'm screwed.

This would make sense too:

1st the customers with a full set matching set +LSOE
2nd customers with a full set minus LSOE (I think owning 7 S/Ls carries more weight than simply the last S/L published)
3nd partial sets (3+ books) + LSOE
4th partial sets
5th a few S/Ls or LSOE
6th everyone else in a fair draw

mae
03-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't own the Eluria volume (nothing new there, so I didn't bother). Hopefully that's not a requirement to purchase TWTTK.

jhanic
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
People, you all have to remember that Grant has NOT yet been announced as the publisher. Until then, this whole discussion is moot. (I agree that it will probably be Grant, but...)

John

mikeyw
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I can confirm that I have not yet been asked to illustrate the book - i;d be honoured to do so, but I fear you all might be a little disappointed....

what do you mean there's another Michael Whelan out there who CAN draw??!!!

and please let it be DMG who publish it......no one else will do

Ari_Racing
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
We're all waiting to see the confirmation, then! :)

Welcome, Michael!!

east-tennessee
03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I can confirm that I have not yet been asked to illustrate the book - i;d be honoured to do so, but I fear you all might be a little disappointed....

what do you mean there's another Michael Whelan out there who CAN draw??!!!

and please let it be DMG who publish it......no one else will do

I doubt anyone would be disappointed....more like excited & pleased:dance:

Brian........

tippy4
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
This would make sense too:

1st the customers with a full set matching set +LSOE
2nd customers with a full set minus LSOE (I think owning 7 S/Ls carries more weight than simply the last S/L published)
3nd partial sets (3+ books) + LSOE
4th partial sets
5th a few S/Ls or LSOE
6th everyone else in a fair draw

Wow...do you have any idea how much work that would be for DMG....which as far as I know is a two-person operation? Also way too much work for the customers.

Because they have established a pattern of purchasing rights based on ownership of the previous King SL, they should continue the pattern on Dark Tower books (and by Dark Tower books, I mean DT1-DT7, LSOE, and TWTTK). Also they should do a minimum of 1,250 and a maximum of 1,500 S/Ls. Any unclaimed copies should go into a lottery.

However, any future Stephen King non DT S/L's should be sold on a first come, first served basis.

I hope they do an artist edition of no more than 3,500 copies (hopefully Grant learned a lesson from the DT7 AE and the LSOE AE...which is that they made too many!).

And finally, I hope that when they design the book, they go with the size and style of DT1-DT7....it really should match up to the first seven Dark Tower books.

WeDealInLead
03-15-2011, 04:28 AM
By full set I meant DT books, not every Stephen King they published.

tippy4
03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I understood what you meant...but like I said, it would be way too much work.

What if one guy has DT12, and another guy has DT34, and another guy has DT56. All have two books, so who gets the rights to TWTTK?

Like I said, the easiest way to deal with new Dark Tower S/Ls is to stick with their pattern of giving first dibs to the owner of the previous Dark Tower S/L.

It would be up to Grant to determine if an S/L is a "Dark Tower S/L". My opinion in that currently, the only books that qualify as that are DT1-7 plus LSOE.

In the event that there was a S/L of 11/22/63, and Grant was the publisher, they should just do a first come first served method of sales.

Merlin1958
03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I realize this might dilute things somewhat, but why not set the limitation to allow for "Registered" buyers plus say 500-1000 new buyers? My numbers may be askew, but I would think that a middle ground is out there to accomodate "new" collectors. I fully understand both sides of the argument. The publisher has the means to mediate if they so desire. Just MHO

I mean they are virtually assured a sell-out on a DT book, no?

tippy4
03-20-2011, 02:49 PM
What do you mean by a registered buyer? Do you mean those that own LSOE? If so, we are talking about 1250 people. If you add 500 to that, then that makes 1750 books, and I doubt King would sign that many. Frankly, I would not want him to. Part of the attraction to owning a book like this is that it is a limited edition. Anything over 1500 is too many IMO.

If it is open to everyone, then yes they will sell out. But if you recall, they only sold LSOE to those that owned DT7 #1-1250. They still had copies left over, so they the allowed those who owned DT7 #1251-1500 to place an order. There will still copies left after that, and they opened it up to everyone else and then they sold out. I believe that what contributed to the less than enthusiastic sales on this was the economy, and the fact that this was a reprint of previously published material.

pixiedark76
03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Of course Grant is going to publish this book...illustrated by the great Bernie Wrightson!

sk

I totally agree! I love Bernie Wrightson's work! Cycle of The Werewolf, Wolves of the Calla, From a Buick 8 artist edition, have some of the greatest artwork ever in an SK book!:thumbsup:

carlosdetweiller
03-20-2011, 06:03 PM

sk

I totally agree! I love Bernie Wrightson's work! Cycle of The Werewolf, Wolves of the Calla, From a Buick 8 artist edition, have some of the greatest artwork ever in an SK book!:thumbsup:

I, too, love Wrightson's work. According to Bernie the work he did on FROM A BUICK 8 was right up there with the best he has ever done and I agree with him on that. The artwork for CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF is also near legendary. However, I don't think he was particularly inspired by WOLVES OF THE CALLA. I've never heard him give his opinion of the artwork for that book but it really didn't do much for me (compared some of his past artwork). Just lacking somewhat, IMO.

Merlin1958
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
What do you mean by a registered buyer? Do you mean those that own LSOE? If so, we are talking about 1250 people. If you add 500 to that, then that makes 1750 books, and I doubt King would sign that many. Frankly, I would not want him to. Part of the attraction to owning a book like this is that it is a limited edition. Anything over 1500 is too many IMO.

If it is open to everyone, then yes they will sell out. But if you recall, they only sold LSOE to those that owned DT7 #1-1250. They still had copies left over, so they the allowed those who owned DT7 #1251-1500 to place an order. There will still copies left after that, and they opened it up to everyone else and then they sold out. I believe that what contributed to the less than enthusiastic sales on this was the economy, and the fact that this was a reprint of previously published material.

OK like I said my numbers were fictitional, but there must be some "middle ground" no? I really do see both sides of the argument. There has got to be something "in between", no?

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2011, 03:41 AM
My two cents...I would find it difficult to believe that after 7 DT books plus LSOE that Grant would not get the nod for a S/L edition. I'd wager quite a bit on that.

As for artist...while Michael Whelan is my friend, I do not think he will be the guy. Steve has been into the whole comic genre for some time now (Dark Tower, Stand, Talisman, American Vampire etc.). My guess is that Jae Lee will get the nod as King continues to roll with comics.

pixiedark76
03-25-2011, 12:01 PM
My two cents...I would find it difficult to believe that after 7 DT books plus LSOE that Grant would not get the nod for a S/L edition. I'd wager quite a bit on that.

As for artist...while Michael Whelan is my friend, I do not think he will be the guy. Steve has been into the whole comic genre for some time now (Dark Tower, Stand, Talisman, American Vampire etc.). My guess is that Jae Lee will get the nod as King continues to roll with comics.

It would be cool if Jae Lee is the artist for Wind through the Keyhole. It would be awesome if he would do some sketch work for the book. His sketches for the Dark Tower Comics are awesome! Hey I know what would be cool, have Jae Lee do a limited sketch edition of the new dark tower book.

Bev Vincent
05-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Jae Lee has signed on to illustrate Stephen's next Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, which will be published as a limited edition by Donald M. Grant Publisher. Orders are not yet being taken and a final release date has not been established. For more details about this upcoming limited edition, please visit Donald M. Grant Publisher (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/redirector.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.grantbooks .com%2Fz-sk-dt-twttk.html).

jhanic
05-09-2011, 07:41 AM
YES!!!

John

Ben Staad
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Fantastic! Now I just need to figure out how to get on the list for the S/L :(...Jae Lee is a great choice and I can't wait to see the artwork.

Nerak
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
the cat is out of the bag!

jhanic
05-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Welcome back, Karen! We've missed you!

John

Nerak
05-09-2011, 07:53 AM
sorry, my life has been pure and utter hell here these past few weeks...I will post what's been happening soon...just thought I would pop on and check out the buzz about the announcement!
Y'all are gonna love it! I did!!

Ari_Racing
05-09-2011, 07:54 AM
YES!!!!! We've been all waiting for this news!!!

Ari_Racing
05-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Nevertheless, I still can't believe they choose Jae Lee instead of Whelan...

surly
05-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Awesome news, but crap! I'm in the 800+ range, so that means I'll need to pay secondary market prices. Double crap!!

Ricky
05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I'll have to look at Lee's art. Is he strictly "comic book" style?

Rahfa
05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Whelan opened and closed the book with DT I and VII...nice to see a 'new' artist get a call...plus, it's nice to see someone from the comic book world get invited in as well...so I think it's all good.

800 copies...fair, and probably a good number to make it a legit collectible.

Patrick
05-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Just posting the full Grant newsletter announcement for easy reference:

Welcome to issue #71 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

9 May 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. will, in Spring of 2012, be
publishing limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by
Stephen King which will be illustrated by Jae Lee.

We are not taking orders at this time, do not have prices and
have not set a release date. Please do not call or email us asking
for more information than is in this newsletter. Updates will be
announced in future issues of this newsletter. We also advise you
to sign up for Stephen King’s newsletter at stephenking.com.

Stephen King has agreed to sign 800 copies of a Deluxe Edition
which will be issued in a tray case. These will also be signed by
Jae Lee. In keeping with our policies of supporting long time
customers, owners of Deluxe Edition copies of THE LITTLE
SISTERS OF ELURIA numbered 1-800 will have the first option
to buy this Deluxe Edition.

In addition there will be a limited “Artist” Edition which will be
signed by Jae Lee and will be issued in a slipcase.

When more information is available we will let you know
through this newsletter and we will also post it at:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

Randall Flagg
05-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Sucks if you have a # higher than 800.

jhanic
05-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I've got #866. Oh, well.

John

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Wow, I am actually quite surprised by the fact that there will only be 800 copies of this one. Considering some of the comments I have read on this board regarding speculation over how many there were going to be and how Grant was going to handle it, I imagine that there are going to be a lot of displeased individuals out there.

More than anything, it will be interesting to see how this affects the secondary market pricing. The vast majority of the Dark Tower related signed/limiteds that have gone up for sale on the secondary market over the past few years have been higher numbers due to the fact that sellers were able to get their hands on the extra copies Grant had above and beyond those that were already spoken for by longtime collectors. Now that there is only going to be 800 copies, I imagine that most of the people purchasing them are going to be core collectors who will not be putting them up for auction, or if they do, will not be putting them up for auction on their own but rather as part of a collection including at least Little Sisters and perhaps Dark Tower VII, VI, and V.

Still, as I said, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ricky
05-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Sucks if you have a # higher than 800.

Where's the middle finger smilie? This will have to do: :P

Patrick
05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Did the DT VII S/L's sell out slowly? Was there less interest in people matching their numbers if over #800? Perhaps that influenced the reduced quantity this time? (Aside from King's desire to sign fewer pages, that is.)

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
It will also be interesting to see how they do the Artist Edition. Previously, they allowed you to purchase as many Artist Editions as you had purchased from them directly for the previous book in the series. However, I suppose for this one it's going to depend on the print run and be complicated by the fact that the Artist Editions of Little Sisters were actually numbered. If they do less than 4,000 copies, they may end up requiring customers to provide proof of ownership of a low numbered Artist Edition of Little Sisters the same way they do it with the signed/limiteds.

wizardsrainbow
05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
I have been waiting patiently for this day to arrive!! Jae Lee! check my post above!

I AM SURPRISED that only 800 will be done. Yes, sucks for those with higher numbers. I will be selling my partial DT sets/LSOE now that this has been announced. I have not decided on prices yet, but partial DT sets #32 and #363 are going to be up for grabs pretty soon.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Did the DT VII S/L's sell out slowly? Was there less interest in people matching their numbers if over #800? Perhaps that influenced the reduced quantity this time? (Aside from King's desire to sign fewer pages, that is.)

I think it is always up to King. If he wanted to sign 2000 copies of the signed/limited, I imagine Grant would accept that no-questions-asked. Limitations signed by King always sell out pre-publication, provided that they do not have some insanely high price.

wizardsrainbow
05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
What I am definitely holding onto are my 4 complete same-number sets (#296, #310, #415, PC) and to add a new DT story to those sets has me tingly all over!!!

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I AM SURPRISED that only 800 will be done. Yes, sucks for those with higher numbers. I will be selling my partial DT sets/LSOE now that this has been announced. I have not decided on prices yet, but partial DT sets #32 and #363 are going to be up for grabs pretty soon.

Exactly. Since you have to have a signed/limited Little Sisters numbered 800 or less to get Wind Through the Keyhole, I think that at the very minimum most sellers are either going to require that you purchase the Little Sisters signed/limited or a partial collection in order to snag this one. I think that finding a signed/limited Wind Through the Keyhole sold by itself is going to be a relative rarity in that such a copy will only be sold by an individual who wants to keep their copy of Little Sisters but doesn't really want this new book or by an individual who was lucky enough to win an unclaimed copy through a lottery.

Furthermore, the argument that I heard from most people in choosing not to purchase Little Sisters was that it was a reprint. Considering that this is a brand new story, I think the demand will be much higher than Little Sisters.

jhanic
05-09-2011, 09:21 AM
i just bought copy #355 of LSOE. I may have overpaid, but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370488277571&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

John

nyy3723a
05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Wow, I'm glad I took the offer Grant put out there to buy one of the low numbers of LOSE that never sold!

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Wow, I'm glad I took the offer Grant put out there to buy one of the low numbers of LOSE that never sold!

I bet you there's going to be a lot of Dark Tower VII owners kicking themselves for not buying the Little Sisters limited to which they were entitled who based their decision on Little Sisters being a reprint and their assumption that there would never be another new Dark Tower story published

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
yes.... suckos indeed, since I've been buying from Grant and matching my number since DT4 was released... thus they're all the same number ... over 800 (though I've not gone home and verified my little sisters #- pretty sure it matches my others).
got the lettered for dt 1 and publisher copies for 2 and 3.

guess I'll just be out of luck with this one. signing less of a ongoing series like the DT is King's prerogative - but it's kind of taking a step backwards and slighting a portion of loyal longterm Grant customers and rewarding those who happened to buy lower numbers on the secondary market.
ah... such is life.

frik
05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Mark my words: these 800 books will be sold on a first come, first served, basis!
And I'll be first!

sk

Oops - I hadn't read a previous post..... :cry:

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 09:48 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370488277571&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

John

this is what I mean... not you specifically john.... but a person that has never bought a book from grant can go out and buy on ebay a LSOE book under #800 (now for for premium)... and though they've never bought from grant before - they are rewarded by grant with a WTKH.
yet customers that have bought 4 or more of the last DT books directly from grant (plus other authors books)...are left to try to scrounge their copies on the secondary market.

me no likey at all. had I known this at the time...
I would have NOT bought a matching LSOE from grant... and just saved the money and used it to purchase an under 800 copy on the secondary market.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
... it's kind of taking a step backwards and slighting a portion of loyal longterm Grant customers and rewarding those who happened to buy lower numbers on the secondary market.
ah... such is life.

As far as I am aware, this is the first time that Grant has had a situation where the limitation has gone down from the number set by a previous book (**Edit - Super Sam's right, it did go down for LSOE, my mistake**). Hopefully they'll allow current holders of numbers above 800 first dibs at snagging unclaimed copies rather than using the traditional lottery system.

I think a fair way to do it would be to have anyone with copies higher than 800 indicate whether or not they are interested in a copy and put them on a waiting list sorted by their number. Then set a date for those with copies 800 and lower to secure their purchase by. Once that date has passed, take any unclaimed copies, offer them to the 800+ owners on the waiting list, and give them something like 48 or 72 hours to respond. If they do not respond or choose not to purchase, move on to the next name on the list until all of the copies are spoken for.

Ric
05-09-2011, 09:56 AM

John

this is what I mean... not you specifically john.... but a person that has never bought a book from grant can go out and buy on ebay a LSOE book under #800 (now for for premium)... and though they've never bought from grant before - they are rewarded by grant with a WTKH.
yet customers that have bought 4 or more of the last DT books directly from grant (plus other authors books)...are left to try to scrounge their copies on the secondary market.

I would have NOT bought a matching LSOE from grant... and just saved the money and used it to purchase an under 800 copy on the secondary market.

This is how it's always been with Grant though. I remember being ticked off when the S/L of Black House came out and in order to purchase it you needed to have a S/L Wizard & Glass. The fact that I had a S/L Talisman and wanted a matching number was irrelevant, I was told to go bark up a tree. Grant has always been favorable to those who own the last book published, regardless of whether it was purchased directly from Grant or not.

super sam
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Me to :D
Had to high number on DT 7 so i was not allowed to get LOSE at first.
But i got one of those "leftover" copies, and just checked my number , 575 :thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Grant will probably hold a lottery for the "unclaimed" books.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
... it's kind of taking a step backwards and slighting a portion of loyal longterm Grant customers and rewarding those who happened to buy lower numbers on the secondary market.
ah... such is life.

As far as I am aware, this is the first time that Grant has had a situation where the limitation has gone down from the number set by a previous book. Hopefully they'll allow current holders of numbers above 800 first dibs at snagging unclaimed copies rather than using the traditional lottery system.

I think a fair way to do it would be to have anyone with copies higher than 800 indicate whether or not they are interested in a copy and put them on a waiting list sorted by their number. Then set a date for those with copies 800 and lower to secure their purchase by. Once that date has passed, take any unclaimed copies, offer them to the 800+ owners on the waiting list, and give them something like 48 or 72 hours to respond. If they do not respond or choose not to purchase, move on to the next name on the list until all of the copies are spoken for.

or... put them down on a waiting list....
and but NOT sort by number, which would still be unfair... since the DTIV,V,VI,VII and LSOE numbered 801 each were issued at the same time as the corresponding DTIV,V,VI,VII and LSOE numbered 901.

a fairer way would be sort by the number of consecutive DT books actually bought from Grant directly and not on the secondary market.

super sam
05-09-2011, 10:04 AM
ah... such is life.

As far as I am aware, this is the first time that Grant has had a situation where the limitation has gone down from the number set by a previous book. Hopefully they'll allow current holders of numbers above 800 first dibs at snagging unclaimed copies rather than using the traditional lottery system.

The limitation went down from DT 7, 1500 copies, to LOSE ,1250 copies.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM

John

This is how it's always been with Grant though. I remember being ticked off when the S/L of Black House came out and in order to purchase it you needed to have a S/L Wizard & Glass. The fact that I had a S/L Talisman and wanted a matching number was irrelevant, I was told to go bark up a tree. Grant has always been favorable to those who own the last book published, regardless of whether it was purchased directly from Grant or not.

This is NOT the same... I DO own the last six books of the DT series... and have bought each of them from Grant upon release-

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
ah... such is life.

The limitation went down from DT 7, 1500 copies, to LOSE ,1250 copies.

but... I may be wrong, but believe that might have been because the demand wasn't as great because it was a reprint.

anyhow... it is what it is... kind of getting tired of this whole collecting thing anyways...
might sell all my books and pay off my house. (at least that's the way I'm feeling today... but I'm fickled)

DanHocker
05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I might be wrong here, but Grant Publications probably has on record who bought which numbers from the for LSOE and will probably offer to those people first. There's no way they can tell if you legitimately have a one of those 1-800 LSOE copies if you didn't buy it directly from them in the first place. Or at least I know that's how we do it with the Lonely Road Books stuff, since we do a similar way of handling numbers with it. Also it's my understanding that King really doesn't like to sign sig sheets, which probably has something to do with the limitation. I could be wrong though.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I might be wrong here, but Grant Publications probably has on record who bought which numbers from the for LSOE and will probably offer to those people first. There's no way they can tell if you legitimately have a one of those 1-800 LSOE copies if you didn't buy it directly from them in the first place. Or at least I know that's how we do it with the Lonely Road Books stuff, since we do a similar way of handling numbers with it. Also it's my understanding that King really doesn't like to sign sig sheets, which probably has something to do with the limitation. I could be wrong though.

at Grant, they actually have a registration method to verify if you have an aftermarket copy with a lower number.

and no.. king probably doesn't like signing the sig. sheets
... but I'm sure he doesn't mind endorsing the check he gets from them.

I know if I could make a few hundred from each of my signatures - I'd been signing all kinds of s#!t all freaking day and night.:cool:

oy-the-brave
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately my number is above 800 too :angry:

Tito_Villa
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM

But i got one of those "leftover" copies, and just checked my number , 575 :thumbsup:

Ditto :D thats how luck goes sometimes i guess

DanHocker
05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=DanHocker;609867]and no.. king probably doesn't like signing the sig. sheets

I know if I could make a few hundred from each of my signatures - I'd been signing all kinds of s#!t all freaking day and night.:cool:

Oh I completely agree, but you've gotta look at it through from his perspective, what's a couple hundred dollars to the millions you've already got, especially if you have to do something you don't like to get those couple hundred. It definitely stinks though that it's such a lower number of signatures.

mae
05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
It will also be interesting to see how they do the Artist Edition. Previously, they allowed you to purchase as many Artist Editions as you had purchased from them directly for the previous book in the series. However, I suppose for this one it's going to depend on the print run and be complicated by the fact that the Artist Editions of Little Sisters were actually numbered. If they do less than 4,000 copies, they may end up requiring customers to provide proof of ownership of a low numbered Artist Edition of Little Sisters the same way they do it with the signed/limiteds.

Since I skipped LSOE, I only have the AE of DT7. :panic:

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Ditto :D thats how luck goes sometimes i guess

apparently... luck is much better than loyalty

now I'm just bitchin' and postin' to try to reach 1000 posts by the end of the day. :P

what's after citizen of Gilead...?
DT whiner?

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=DanHocker;609867]and no.. king probably doesn't like signing the sig. sheets

Oh I completely agree, but you've gotta look at it through from his perspective, what's a couple hundred dollars to the millions you've already got, especially if you have to do something you don't like to get those couple hundred. It definitely stinks though that it's such a lower number of signatures.

then, in that case,i think he has too much money and should just give them away
of course I'd still whine about not getting one

32 more whines... and I'll be there NOOOO!:onfire:

Rahfa
05-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I could go either way...it is kind of unfortunate that it dropped from 1250 LSOE to just 800 WTTK.

I have a low number of everything, so I'm good...but even if you were a good customer from Wastelands until now, you'd be out of luck...Wastelands had 1250 too, right? A bump from DOTT's 750. So that is 450 customers from 1989 that are out of luck just because of their number.

It is too bad he didn't match the 1250. I don't have as much sympathy for the 1500+ people who jumped in at WOTC.

We'll see, though...that's a lot of people likely to gripe about it, and there's a lot of time for 400 more signnature sheets to get added to the mix.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I might be wrong here, but Grant Publications probably has on record who bought which numbers from the for LSOE and will probably offer to those people first.

Grant does indeed keep a list of who bought each book from them and what the number is, however that does not secure you a copy of the next book. What matters is who actually owns the book at the time the next one is released. For example, if I bought LSOE #100 and then sold it to someone else, I do not have the right to buy #100 of Wind Through the Keyhole if I sell my LSOE before the book is released. A reputable seller will call Grant, let them know that they have sold their copy, and help the new owner register it in their name (as I did with each copy of Wizard and Glass that I sold).

However, as Tippy can attest, there are shady individuals out there who attempt to sell their copy of the previous book and then buy the next one from Grant. If you don't have help from the seller or the seller isn't registered with Grant, you have to send Grant a picture of your limitation page to prove that you are the owner. If two people claim to own the same copy and both send in a picture of the limitation page (as happened to Tippy), Grant requires you to actually mail them your book to verify that you are indeed the owner.

jhanic
05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
This is just what happened to me when I bought the #866 DT VII. The seller tried to claim he still owned the book, after I sent a copy of the limitation page to Grant. I even got a call from Robert verifying that I did own the copy. I plan on sending a copy of the limitation page of the #355 LSOE to Grant as soon as I receive the book.

John

pixiedark76
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Jae Lee has signed on to illustrate Stephen's next Dark Tower book, The Wind Through the Keyhole, which will be published as a limited edition by Donald M. Grant Publisher. Orders are not yet being taken and a final release date has not been established. For more details about this upcoming limited edition, please visit Donald M. Grant Publisher (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/redirector.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.grantbooks .com%2Fz-sk-dt-twttk.html).

:clap::dance::thumbsup: I am so happy with this news! Jae Lee is an awesome artist! He will bring so much more depth and dimension to the Dark Tower Series with his artwork, I am so happy that Jae Lee will be signing an artist edition. I have always wanted a signature from him!

ELazansky
05-09-2011, 11:27 AM
As a non-collector of the Dark Tower S/L books, my opinion won't matter too much on this. Since there can only be 500 true sets of S/L numbered editions of DTI-VII + LSOE, I think that the folks who own 1-500 should get first shot to purchase their matching books to keep their sets complete. Everything over 500 should just be sold in a lottery, since anyone with books over 500 can't hold a complete set anyway. Just my two cents. But I will purchase an AE since I love Jae Lee's work.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
It is too bad he didn't match the 1250.

We'll see, though...that's a lot of people likely to gripe about it, and there's a lot of time for 400 more signature sheets to get added to the mix.

I doubt it... I' guessing the loyalty is a one way street.

DanHocker
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I might be wrong here, but Grant Publications probably has on record who bought which numbers from the for LSOE and will probably offer to those people first.

Grant does indeed keep a list of who bought each book from them and what the number is, however that does not secure you a copy of the next book. What matters is who actually owns the book at the time the next one is released. For example, if I bought LSOE #100 and then sold it to someone else, I do not have the right to buy #100 of Wind Through the Keyhole if I sell my LSOE before the book is released. A reputable seller will call Grant, let them know that they have sold their copy, and help the new owner register it in their name (as I did with each copy of Wizard and Glass that I sold).

However, as Tippy can attest, there are shady individuals out there who attempt to sell their copy of the previous book and then buy the next one from Grant. If you don't have help from the seller or the seller isn't registered with Grant, you have to send Grant a picture of your limitation page to prove that you are the owner. If two people claim to own the same copy and both send in a picture of the limitation page (as happened to Tippy), Grant requires you to actually mail them your book to verify that you are indeed the owner.

Yea I was just speculating off of how we do things with Lonely Road Books. Essentially we offer matching numbers for a new book up to the people who purchased the last book. Not the people who those people may have sold them too after the fact. I haven't ever actually bought anything from Grant so I don't really know, can't afford books like that, the rent is just too high (http://blog.rentaluniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Rent1.jpg) (so to speak).

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Yea I was just speculating off of how we do things with Lonely Road Books. Essentially we offer matching numbers for a new book up to the people who purchased the last book. Not the people who those people may have sold them too after the fact. I haven't ever actually bought anything from Grant so I don't really know, can't afford books like that, the rent is just too high (http://blog.rentaluniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Rent1.jpg) (so to speak).

You certainly will not be able to afford the $1250 Lonely Road Books want for the Lettered Blockade Billy. Which is only a tiny story, not a full 800+ page novel

mae
05-09-2011, 12:11 PM
The slipcase, I wonder, will it be the same style as the other Grant slipcases?

carlosdetweiller
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM

:clap::dance::thumbsup: I am so happy with this news! Jae Lee is an awesome artist! He will bring so much more depth and dimension to the Dark Tower Series with his artwork, I am so happy that Jae Lee will be signing an artist edition. I have always wanted a signature from him!

I guess I am in the minority here but I'm not so excited about the choice of artists. His characters always have a vague (or maybe not so vague) Oriental look to them and it isn't at all how they appear in my mind. He illustrated DRACULA recently (Viking/Penguin, 2006). I thought they should have changed the locale from Whitby/London to Shanghai. It just doesn't work for me.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/draculajaelee.jpg

biomieg
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Can't say I'm too thrilled about Jae's involvement either. I just hope it won't be too 'pen-and-inky'.

Cutter
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I actually am excited by a new artist as i wanted some new blood rather than the same old same old, and Jae Lee was fantastic with the comics. I'm sure it'll be great!

And once again I'm out of the loop because I don't have a low enough number. The same thing happened with LSOE as my number was too high then.

The thing that Grant does is similar to publisher subscriptions. It's great for the people who have the numbers of the previous books as they don't have to worry and they'll get their book and matching number. But it sucks for everyone who does not have a chance because they don't have a low enough number.

There have now been nine books from Grant and the actually number of matched sets is extremely low. Grant needs to throw this practice away as it's a stupid practice and it just ticks too many people off. Now allow customers to request numbers, yes, that makes a hundred percent sense. But why does Grant or anyone care if a fan has 2 matching numbers of a Dark Tower books and they just gotta have the same number?

This is the reason why I'll refuse to buy a book from Delirium Books anymore. Subscriptions and matching numbers suck, plain and simple.

biomieg
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm all for a new artist but I prefer to see painted illustrations rather than comic-style illustrations.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 01:37 PM
The fact of the matter is that there are only going to be 800 copies of the book, and there will be more than 800 people interested in buying the book, meaning that some people are going to be ticked off no matter what Grant does. I realize that I'm biased due to my having a matching numbered set of DT I-VII, Talisman, Desperation, Black House, and LSOE, but it just would not make sense to me to tell someone who has purchased from Grant for years that their matched set is going to be incomplete because Grant has decided to change course and offer the books first-come, first-served, alienating customers who have purchased thousands of dollars of King and non-King books from Grant directly in favor of random individuals who have no relationship with the publisher and who likely will never purchase another book from them again. This is the same reason why I feel that someone like Sir Boomme who has purchased from Grant directly for years should be given priority status over a newcomer interested in one of the unclaimed copies.

Keep in mind that many of the publishers that offer their books on a first-come, first-served basis nevertheless offer their best customers the chance to purchase the books before a general announcement is made. Those publishers usually just keep this practice quiet whereas Grant has made it public and does it for every single copy.

Rahfa
05-09-2011, 02:17 PM

You certainly will not be able to afford the $1250 Lonely Road Books want for the Lettered Blockade Billy. Which is only a tiny story, not a full 800+ page novel

+1

Rahfa
05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
First-come, first-serve is no fairer in the end...and for that matter, neither is a lottery.

It's not difficult to load a lottery with way more than one entry (I used multiple credit cards when Buick 8 came out) and that's way more unfair than going into a deal like this where you know that if you are at #801, you aren't going to get a book (as of now). I would rather know where I stand going in, then wonder what's going on behind closed doors that I'm not getting a fair shake in.

But - I have a low number, so of course I feel that way. But, only one number, and I'll only be buying my one copy.

I like the idea that 1-500 is guaranteed a book, with everyone else in a lottery...that would be fair to the owners of the true 'complete' sets, while enabling some new owners as well.

Really, the best news from this is we now have eight-10 months to talk about a new DT limited! Since the movie's going bye-bye, this is a much better situation!

Jimimck
05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
As a non-collector of the Dark Tower S/L books, my opinion won't matter too much on this. Since there can only be 500 true sets of S/L numbered editions of DTI-VII + LSOE, I think that the folks who own 1-500 should get first shot to purchase their matching books to keep their sets complete. Everything over 500 should just be sold in a lottery, since anyone with books over 500 can't hold a complete set anyway. Just my two cents. But I will purchase an AE since I love Jae Lee's work.

I'm not a collector of the S/L's either (too rich for me), and I agree with you re the first 500 being offered to those as a priority since there can only really be that many complete sets. Don't get me wrong though, I also understand that people who own 501-800 will want an opportunity to add to their matching number sets as well, but perhaps they fall in to the same category of those people who just a very keen to buy a copy regardless of matching sets etc. I think people will have a desire to own one of these new books for different reasons, and so the publisher isn't going to be able to satisy everyone.

I'll be picking up an AE for sure.

tomi_cc16
05-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Just a reminder, to be on the safe side to get an AE of TWTK - it's maybe not the worst idea to have a numbered artist edition of LSOE bought directly by Grant.

Right now this is still possible ;-)

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-1-lsoe.html

Patrick
05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
... If two people claim to own the same copy and both send in a picture of the limitation page (as happened to Tippy), Grant requires you to actually mail them your book to verify that you are indeed the owner.
Instead of mailing that big ol' heavy book, you could save a ton of money on postage by tearing out the limitation page and just sending that.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
... If two people claim to own the same copy and both send in a picture of the limitation page (as happened to Tippy), Grant requires you to actually mail them your book to verify that you are indeed the owner.
Instead of mailing that big ol' heavy book, you could save a ton of money on postage by tearing out the limitation page and just sending that.

Ha! Actually, I would think that it would be easier to do something like requiring a shot be taken at a different angle with like a thumbs up or some other gesture that would prove the picture has just been taken. Making someone send back an entire book is pretty ridiculous.

Patrick
05-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Ha! Actually, I would think that it would be easier to do something like requiring a shot be taken at a different angle with like a thumbs up or some other gesture that would prove the picture has just been taken. Making someone send back an entire book is pretty ridiculous.
Yeah, take a photo of the book with the day's newspaper or something. Like it's your hostage and you're demanding ransom.

Jimimck
05-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Just a reminder, to be on the safe side to get an AE of TWTK - it's maybe not the worst idea to have a numbered artist edition of LSOE bought directly by Grant.

Right now this is still possible ;-)

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-1-lsoe.html

I bought my AE LSOE from Betts. Do people think owning a copy will actually have an impact on purchasing an AE edition of TWTTK? I see Grant only allow you to register the S/L LSOE with them if you purchased elsewhere. They don't seem to care about a registrar for the AE edition.

jhanic
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I sincerely doubt there will be any restrictions from Grant on the Artist's Edition.

John

Randall Flagg
05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I have an extra copy (below#500) that I could part with.

Cook
05-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Patrick
:rofl: I really did laugh out loud :lol:

shibus
05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Already???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370488277571&si=ud70PZsn13j8UXIgGG%252BV1kmCpsc%253D&viewitem=

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I bought my AE LSOE from Betts. Do people think owning a copy will actually have an impact on purchasing an AE edition of TWTTK? I see Grant only allow you to register the S/L LSOE with them if you purchased elsewhere. They don't seem to care about a registrar for the AE edition.

The last time Grant had a restriction on purchasing an AE was for purchasing the AE of Wolves of the Calla. At the time, it didn't matter whether or not you owned a copy of the gift edition of Wizard and Glass, it just mattered whether you had purchased that copy directly from Grant. Initially, you were only allowed the same number of AE's of Wolves of the Calla as the number of Wizard and Glass that you had purchased from Grant, whether you sold it to someone else or not. Shortly thereafter, Grant changed it to the number of copies of Wizard and Glass +1 or a single copy of Wolves of the Calla if you had never purchased a Wizard and Glass.

Personally, I think it'll depend on how many AE copies of Wind Through the Keyhole they're allowed to produce and whether or not they're numbered. If it's 4,000+, I don't think there will be any restrictions. If it's a lot lower, they may only allow those who bought AE's of LSOE from them directly to purchase at first and then open it to everyone else.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Already???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370488277571&si=ud70PZsn13j8UXIgGG%252BV1kmCpsc%253D&viewitem=

Yeah, jhanic mentioned earlier today that he was the one who purchased that copy.

surly
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Okay, I panicked; all this talk of sky-rocketing prices freaked me out so I found a low number LSOE for $550 and bought it without even checking if it was a good price.
On a completely unrelated topic-- I know where you can get a high number LSOE if you're interested...

Jimimck
05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Since the movie's going bye-bye, this is a much better situation!What??? Have
I missed something?

**EDIT** Just brought myself up to speed...

jhanic
05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Already???

I was the buyer for this one.

John

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Okay, I panicked; all this talk of sky-rocketing prices freaked me out so I found a low number LSOE for $550 and bought it without even checking if it was a good price.

We'll have to see what happens to the market now that a new book's been announced, but you may have gotten a decent deal.

Cutter
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
The fact of the matter is that there are only going to be 800 copies of the book, and there will be more than 800 people interested in buying the book, meaning that some people are going to be ticked off no matter what Grant does. I realize that I'm biased due to my having a matching numbered set of DT I-VII, Talisman, Desperation, Black House, and LSOE, but it just would not make sense to me to tell someone who has purchased from Grant for years that their matched set is going to be incomplete because Grant has decided to change course and offer the books first-come, first-served, alienating customers who have purchased thousands of dollars of King and non-King books from Grant directly in favor of random individuals who have no relationship with the publisher and who likely will never purchase another book from them again. This is the same reason why I feel that someone like Sir Boomme who has purchased from Grant directly for years should be given priority status over a newcomer interested in one of the unclaimed copies.

Keep in mind that many of the publishers that offer their books on a first-come, first-served basis nevertheless offer their best customers the chance to purchase the books before a general announcement is made. Those publishers usually just keep this practice quiet whereas Grant has made it public and does it for every single copy.

That's the problem. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of books from Grant and have been a loyal King customer plus I've bought many of their art books, Moorcock, Bradbury, Howard, Lovecraft, the list goes on with the amount of books I've bought from Grant as I'm not only a King collector. But since my number of The Dark Tower was too high I had to get on the waiting list for LSOE, and luckily I received a copy, but now again that number is too high so again I don't have a chance. So every Tom, Dick and Harry who just happened to buy the LAST book (we are not talking long term Grant customers here) can get the new book, while I having bought over 20 books by Grant can not even get into this elite list, but someone who picked up a LSOE on eBay and did not buy directly through Grant and therefore has never ever given a dime to Grant gets to buy a book over someone like me who has spent thousands of dollars at Grant.

Sorry but it's a crappy way to do business. It's a heavily flawed system as it does not give credence to long time Grant customers. This is like publisher subscriptions. It's not what you have spent in the past it's what you have spent recently that counts.

btw, my disappointment at this business practice is heavily effected by other small presses, so my bitterness to this flawed practice is not new to this book. I complained the same argument when LSOE was released, and I pretty much hate all publishers who do this practice (even when I have the number and am in the elite group - I just feel guilty). So it's not related to just Grant.

Rahfa
05-09-2011, 06:29 PM
You would think any publisher would try to figure out a way to accomodate customers like you....but what can they do? Where's the line? It's not fair, but no matter how they draw the line, it's unfair...

At least the "who owns #800 and below" system is objective - you either have it or you don't...rather than some subjective decision on what makes a person a "good customer."

Jimimck
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I agree that the "800 and below" is objective and doesn't come down to some opinion of what makes a good customer, but then why have a priority at all? Why not just put everyone in to a lottery? The intention is to reward those who have purchased from Grant, and as already discussed, there is an obvious flaw in their system.

All 800 in a lottery, and then let the seconday market help those who want to complete sets seems to be a fair system if you ask me.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Again, I would always argue for the rights of those with continuing, existing relationships with any publisher and would hope that any such publisher would be willing to make accomodations for their best customers via unclaimed copies and PC's.

But what good would it do Grant to change its policy now? The policy has been the same since the first Dark Tower sequel. Anyone who purchases from Grant does so with full knowledge of that fact. Asking why those customers should have priority in purchasing future copies is the same as asking why Grant should have priority in publishing the book. Why not Cemetery Dance? Why not Subterranean Press? Why not Centipede Press? Why is only giving Grant the opportunity fair? Wouldn't it be more fair to give every publisher a shot?

King gives it to Grant because they supported him by publishing a book that the other publishers did not believe in and Grant supports the customers who purchased that book by giving them priority for its sequels. Although not everyone who owns a copy below 500 has been with Grant from the beginning, the purchase history eventually leads to an original owner who reaped the benefit of being an early adopter who purchased a copy of the book in the beginning when they were freely available and sold it at an inflated price that was the direct result of Grant's policy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that King has indicated in interviews that Grant's policy is one of the reasons that he continues to allow them to publish the Dark Tower books. It certainly makes sense in the context of his infamous interview with Entertainment Weekly, which includes this nugget:

"King gets so animated telling this story, he heads the wrong way down a one-way street and rattles off an impressively ornate string of profanities. I ask him, what about his fans, and he gets visibly upset.

''I've always rejected the idea that every book had to be available to every consumer. I used to get these angry letters about the Dark Tower books when they were just limited editions. Somebody would say, 'Well, I want that book!' And I'm like, 'Hey, there are people in hell who want ice water, too!'''

In the end, what can I say? Is Grant's policy fair? Like Rahfa said, someone will consider it unfair no matter what the policy is because there's never going to be enough to go around. The only thing I can say for sure is that it's the way it's always been, that we all knew that going in, and that it would be much more unfair to change it at this point.

Robert Fulman
05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
What grant should do is set the price at $1000, and the lower the price by $50 each week until they are all gone. Free market, baby.

tippy4
05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Yeah...I actually had to send them my copy of DT4 so they could confirm ownership so I could buy Black House.

Of course, this was before everyone owned a digital camera.

tippy4
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM

The last time Grant had a restriction on purchasing an AE was for purchasing the AE of Wolves of the Calla. At the time, it didn't matter whether or not you owned a copy of the gift edition of Wizard and Glass, it just mattered whether you had purchased that copy directly from Grant. Initially, you were only allowed the same number of AE's of Wolves of the Calla as the number of Wizard and Glass that you had purchased from Grant, whether you sold it to someone else or not. Shortly thereafter, Grant changed it to the number of copies of Wizard and Glass +1 or a single copy of Wolves of the Calla if you had never purchased a Wizard and Glass.

Personally, I think it'll depend on how many AE copies of Wind Through the Keyhole they're allowed to produce and whether or not they're numbered. If it's 4,000+, I don't think there will be any restrictions. If it's a lot lower, they may only allow those who bought AE's of LSOE from them directly to purchase at first and then open it to everyone else.

Not exactly right.

Like you said, you could buy as many copies of DT5AE as you had purchased copies of DT4 + 1.

If you had not bought any copies of DT4 direct from Grant, then you were allowed to buy one copy of DT5AE from Grant.

HOWEVER..........

When DT6AE came out, you could buy as many copies as you had purchased of DT5AE.

When DT7AE came out, you could buy as many copies as you had purchased of DT6AE (you could also buy DT7AE if you bought it with a Talisman/Black House Gift Set).

tippy4
05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
So they are doing an AE in a slipcase and the Deluxe in a traycase.

Really wish they had tried to match them up to DT567 (slipcase on the deluxe and nothing on the AE).

They might as well match them up (size and style) to LSOE.

Hope they limit the AE to 3,500 copies or less.

Grant Books, please do not do the "hidden remarque" thing again.

Cutter
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Again, I would always argue for the rights of those with continuing, existing relationships with any publisher and would hope that any such publisher would be willing to make accomodations for their best customers via unclaimed copies and PC's.

But what good would it do Grant to change its policy now? The policy has been the same since the first Dark Tower sequel. Anyone who purchases from Grant does so with full knowledge of that fact. Asking why those customers should have priority in purchasing future copies is the same as asking why Grant should have priority in publishing the book. Why not Cemetery Dance? Why not Subterranean Press? Why not Centipede Press? Why is only giving Grant the opportunity fair? Wouldn't it be more fair to give every publisher a shot?

King gives it to Grant because they supported him by publishing a book that the other publishers did not believe in and Grant supports the customers who purchased that book by giving them priority for its sequels. Although not everyone who owns a copy below 500 has been with Grant from the beginning, the purchase history eventually leads to an original owner who reaped the benefit of being an early adopter who purchased a copy of the book in the beginning when they were freely available and sold it at an inflated price that was the direct result of Grant's policy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that King has indicated in interviews that Grant's policy is one of the reasons that he continues to allow them to publish the Dark Tower books.

This will be my last post as I hate to be the "negative guy" so I don't want to ruin the fun anymore for anyone else. But CoffinHunter you are missing the point, this system does not reward the Grant loyal customers, that is my argument as it's a flawed system. Sure it rewards long time customers but it also rewards the customers who have only bought the previous book (the what have you done for me lately people), and you never had to even buy the book from Grant - you could have bought it off eBay and never have given a dime to Grant. So Grant is in reality guaranteeing copies of this book to people who have never ever been a Grant customer, ever! If Grant really wanted to reward loyal customers then they should go by previous purchase receipt and proof of the book. And then put everyone else in a lottery, and we know if Grant really did this there would be at least 300 open spots available for a lottery.

Also because the system is flawed it causes a long time Grant customer in to spend $800 on a LSOE book he already has (as he's been buying them from Grant) just so he can be guaranteed a copy because his number is too high. Where is the customer loyalty in that? The system is causing long time customers to spend butt loads of money to fit into Grant's system.

Once LSOE was released Grant should have went back to the guaranteeing the only the original 500 copies if they wanted to keep this policy, and then let everyone else have a fair chance at a lottery. Because once the numbers went down with LSOE and now even less with Keyhole, Grant just keeps alienating past customers.

And to note again, this is the same argument I had for LSOE. So I have to say I hope Grant does not ever have the rights to a King limited again. As a King fan and collector I would prefer to have a fair shake on buying a said King Limited Edition.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 07:36 PM
You're right, I should have clarified that the numbers carried on to DTVI and DTVII, at least initially before they eventually opened DTVII up to everyone and still haven't sold out, incidentally, which may have had an effect on their reducing the print run from 5,000 for the AE of DTVII to 4,000 for the AE of LSOE. Come to think of it, I wonder if the fact that there are still AE's of LSOE available will affect their decision regarding how many AE's to produce for Wind Through the Keyhole...

mae
05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
So they are doing an AE in a slipcase and the Deluxe in a traycase.

Really wish they had tried to match them up to DT567 (slipcase on the deluxe and nothing on the AE).

They might as well match them up (size and style) to LSOE.

Hope they limit the AE to 3,500 copies or less.

I'm hoping they do the same slipcases as they had previously for DT1-3, 4-5, and 6-7, to make everything match.

tippy4
05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
As already pointed out, there is no system that they could announce that would make every one happy.

That being said, were they to deviate from the current policy, the backlash they would receive would be huge.

They are saving themselves a huge headache by continuing on as they have been.

BigCoffinHunter
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
As already pointed out, there is no system that they could announce that would make every one happy.

That being said, were they to deviate from the current policy, the backlash they would receive would be huge.

They are saving themselves a huge headache by continuing one as they have been.

I agree. As I said in my previous post, Grant would receive no benefit from changing their policy now. While I understand Cutter's frustration, the fact remains that we are all aware of how Grant has handled these books over the last 30 or so years.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
there are 8 DT books: DT1-7 and LSOE

fairest way...
everyone that has bought all 8 consecutive DT directly from grant gets first dib on this one... first come first serve
next dibs goes to everyone that has bought the last 7 DT's from grant ... first come first serve
next... goes to everyone that has bought the last 6 DTs directly from grant...first come first serve
and so on... until the books are all gone....
if any are left, after the people that have only bought 1 DT (LSOE) book directly from grant... the remaining ones go in a lottery.

that would reward their longest most loyal customers 1st... and so on.....

it would also keep someone who has never bought a book from grant... but only snagged a under 800 #'d LSOE off ebay yesterday.... from taking precedence over long time existing customers who have proven their loyality over the years.

if I were running grant... that's the business practice I would do... (it's how I run my DJ business when booking conflicts occur)

but alas... I don't run Grant... so it will be what it is.

tippy4
05-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Way too much work for a tiny publisher like Grant.

They have one part-time employee.

Sir_Boomme
05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
ah...karen could do it ....
they have the records to match them up... I'm sure they pretty much know who their repeat customers are.

Patrick
05-09-2011, 09:04 PM

They are saving themselves a huge headache by continuing on as they have been.

Way too much work for a tiny publisher like Grant.

They have one part-time employee.
I find myself in complete agreement with everything tippy has said here.

Patrick
05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
The announcement was made just this morning. After DMG and SK hear about all the outcry and demand for a greater quantity of signed limited copies of this book from loyal Constant Readers, perhaps somewhere down the pre-production road the limitation will be increased.

Just a thought.

George at C-Springs
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by shibus

Already???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

John

I thought about taking the same plunge for a matching S/L & AE set (before this announcement, if it means anything) but just couldn't bring myself to spend the $800 because the seller (not the one you bought from) is always way overpriced on everything else, so logically this set was way overpriced too. Judging by the sales graphs over on The Collector, average cost for an AE has been about $85, and the S/L about $360; $445 for the set. Granted a number below 500 will go for a little more, and a "low number" (depending on your definition of that) a little more than that, and a matched set a little more than that .... but double? Has the value changedthat much because of the announcement? Is the set really worth double it's trend value, or is the additional value in the ability to buy the next book? What happens if TWTTK bombs?

I'd really like to have a matching set below 500 (with the long-term goal of course it becoming a complete matching DT set), but I can't see spending more than $500~600 for it.

Hey John, question on yours as well .... is this a description typo? I wouldn't call that a matching number!

Issued in a SIGNED/LIMITED/TRAYCASED/DELUXE edition of 1250 numbered copies (of which this is #355 which is a LOW number) designated "THE DELUXE EDITION" & SIGNED BY KING & WHELAN. Comes with a FREE copy of the Artist's edition of LITTLE SISTERS with matching number (#196).

Has anyone ordered a copy of the S/L directly from Grant lately, and if so what number did you get? I can't imagine anyone would still randomly get a number below 500. I bought the AE from them last May and it was #1076.

If anyone has a matched set below 500 they're willing to sell for less than an arm and a leg, please PM me!

LostAlivE
05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
The whole point of Grant doing this book was in my opinion was so it would match books 1 -7 of The Dark Tower. Now what is the point of matching it to LSOE?
I have been collecting them since S/L of Wastelands and my number is above 800 also. It is too bad he didn't match the 1250 I think we could kinda live with that.
I am just PO'ed right now. I hope that I will be able to buy one of the 501 - 800 books so it won't mess up someone's set. I had rather have my matching number but if there are only going to 800 made that is not going to happen.
It just seems the more I am found the loster I get.
Lostalive

jhanic
05-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by shibus

Already???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

John

Hey John, question on yours as well .... is this a description typo? I wouldn't call that a matching number!

Issued in a SIGNED/LIMITED/TRAYCASED/DELUXE edition of 1250 numbered copies (of which this is #355 which is a LOW number) designated "THE DELUXE EDITION" & SIGNED BY KING & WHELAN. Comes with a FREE copy of the Artist's edition of LITTLE SISTERS with matching number (#196).

I noticed that. It was probably a typo, but I'll see when I receive the books. I've dealt with this seller before and been satisfied, and, actually, I already own two LSOE sets now, so another one isn't that big a deal. I just went for the number of the s/l.

John

Randall Flagg
05-10-2011, 05:32 AM
As mentioned, I have a LSOE numbered below #500 if one of our esteemed collectors is interested.

George at C-Springs
05-10-2011, 05:44 AM
RF, I just PM'd you.

Sir_Boomme
05-10-2011, 06:08 AM
the question is... pay a premium for a under 800 LSOE now and obtain the rights (even though I already own a higher number but matching LSOE)....and then also pay grant for a wind/keyhole

or just wait and pay a premium for the wind/keyhole on the secondary market... I'm thinking buying one book later will be better.....

of course, I might be wrong.... and of course, I could get all pissyfied and say screw it like I did with simon and schusters TGWLTG limited - which I wouldn't own if it was given to me.

haven't decided on just how pissy I am yet.... though as I sit and look at the many multiple thousand of dollars of books I have bought directly from grant in the past... counting multiple artist editions, DT limiteds,blackhouse limiteds, extra jackets, 1st editions, limited original artwork...
I get a tiny bit pissier each time I look. I probably should stop gong in that room for a while.

Randall Flagg
05-10-2011, 06:09 AM
I am not falling for that one again.

Ricky
05-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Grant Books, please do not do the "non-existant remarque" thing again.

Fixed it for you.

Ric
05-10-2011, 07:02 AM
I am not falling for that one again.

You said it. I've bought or traded for 7 copies of the AE and not one of them had a damned thing in it. Based on the lack of pictures elsewhere, it may be safe to say that the majority of the "secret" remarques are still sitting in the warehouse. Perhaps next time, Grant should just offer what CD did for FDNS: a custom remarque at a premium if you want one, and none if you do not.

George at C-Springs
05-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Well, after mouthing off on the previous page about whether the LSOE sets were worth the $800, I spent the better part of the past eight hours scouring the far reaches of the internet trying to find a bargain, all to no avail. Might have been possible before they announced TWTTK back in November, but it's not happening now. It's a seller's market, and seller's will (rightly so) take advantage of that. Prices are already jumping on the limited few that are out there for sale; maybe with yesterday's announcement we'll see some more pop up.

I wanted a single or double digit LSOE set (to build my DT set around, may as well aim high ... or low, as the case may be), but was only able to find the LSOE S/L #73 by itself ... so I picked it up for $650. There is still a #405 matched S/L & AE set on Abe and eBay right now for $795, been there for awhile and seller hasn't jacked up his price yet, if anybody is interested. I also just saw that RF has put his #360 up for sale.

So, I guess I'm now in the market for the LSOE AE #73 in case anybody might have that handy, and looking to build a #73 collection! PM me!

Ari_Racing
05-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Grant will probably hold a lottery for the "unclaimed" books.

Yes, but this time it will be a lot harder to "win". Last time I won with LSOE, but something tells me this time I might not be as lucky as I was.

I don't agree with this at all. It's true that very few remarques appeared (I remember only 3), but how many copies were sold? Besides, was the price much higher than other gift edition? As far as I know, it was only 25 dollars higher than other Gift editions I bought, and this one was signed by the artist. You got a really cool chance to get one Whelan remarque for the price of a regular gift edition. I agree: chances were low, but you still have one.

As for the policy they have on selling the limited editions, I agree that no matter which one they choose, with 800 copies signed by King (and I bet that they had to beg King so he agreed to sign 800), there will always be customers unhappy. I know I'm out and there's no way I'm buying a lower number to be able to get one, at least for now. I'll take my chances with the lottery.

George at C-Springs
05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Ari, i thought not a single hidden remarque had ever been found ... only thing out there is some eye doodles and such. This is in another thread from last year somewhere, don't remember where. I like the idea of a chance at a mystery remarque, provided they are actually done ... I think the beef was that folks were buying multiple books trying to find one, when in fact none were ever included in the sales. I think Grant thought they were, but turns out they weren't.

Brice
05-10-2011, 08:00 AM
No, there were some remarqued copies, but only a couple that we saw.

George at C-Springs
05-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Were they random copies, or done after the fact by Whelan on request? I jsut don;t remember seeing any photos of LSOE mystery remarques. Gotta find that thread.

Nerak
05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
wow, what an interesting read this thread was.

And may I just say that the statement that "we can't please everyone" is true.

If we opened it up to everyone, those already holding matching sets would get pissed.

If we opened it up to only 500 and below, owners of 501-800 would be pissed.

We truly very sorry that Mr King has said that he will sign only 800.

Don't you think that if we could, we would talk him into 1500 or 2000?

It's a new story, it WILL sell.

But we have to do what the boss says. And in this case, the boss is Mr King and he wants to sign no more than 800.

And while I appreciate all the confidence that y'all have in my abilities...I do not see me having the ability to be able to handle all that you are coming up for me to do and if you want your books in the same year that it's announced...I cannot see me looking to see who's purchased all 8, then all 7...etc.
This really is the best way.

If people who owned 1-500 wanted to keep their same sets, they knew what our policies were (are) and had the opportunity to purchase LSOE. If new people got a low number, well, bully for them. They were never able to before and had a great opportunity to do so with LSOE.

I am truly sorry if people feel like we are slighting them or stepping or toes or whatever.

But keep in mind, if we COULD we WOULD get Mr King to sign more.

Peace

DMG Slave

carlosdetweiller
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Nice post. Thanks, Karen (aka DMG Slave).

ELazansky
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Well said, Karen.

Ari_Racing
05-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Hon, we know. Don't worry that we know that :)

frik
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
My hat's off to you, Karen.
Well said indeed!

sk

Randall Flagg
05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't even see a LSOE <#800S/L for sale on ebay right now.

Sir_Boomme
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM

If we opened it up to everyone, those already holding matching sets would get pissed.

But we have to do what the boss says. And in this case, the boss is Mr King and he wants to sign no more than 800.

And while I appreciate all the confidence that y'all have in my abilities...I do not see me having the ability to be able to handle all that you are coming up for me to do and if you want your books in the same year that it's announced...I cannot see me looking to see who's purchased all 8, then all 7...etc.

If people who owned 1-500 wanted to keep their same sets, they knew what our policies were (are) and had the opportunity to purchase LSOE. If new people got a low number, well, bully for them. They were never able to before and had a great opportunity to do so with LSOE.

I am truly sorry if people feel like we are slighting them or stepping or toes or whatever.

Peace

DMG Slave

sorry karen, you know I love ya...but yes, I feel slighted....
though I've bought boocooties of books directly from you guys... including the last 4 dt's, limited blackhouses, multiple gift editions artist edition and first editions, original artwork, phil hales lettered editions, extra book covers, and pretty much everything you guys have sold the past 12 years...
joe blow who has never bought a single book from ya'll goes out and buys one aftermarket under 800 LSOE and gets dibs on a wind/keyhole....while I'm left high and dry.

I guess what really irks me is that had I known, I would not have bought a matching number (to my DT numbers) LSOE...but saved the money I spent on it and purchase a lower numbered one either through your second offering or off ebay.
but I did buy mine from you guys... and really don't think I should have to pay 800.00+ more bucks for a second hand book ...one that I already own... just to get a lower number.

so... yeah... feeling like grant has abandoned me after all these years.

ELazansky
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Bloody Rare Books had a matching S/L +AE out there this morning for $795 - it is gone now

jhanic
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Karen.

John

George at C-Springs
05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
There is still a #405 matched S/L & AE set on Abe and eBay right now for $795
I don't even see a LSOE <#800S/L for sale on ebay right now.
Bloody Rare Books had a matching S/L +AE out there this morning for $795 - it is gone now

The #405 set I mentioned was the one from Bloody Rare Books, so it sold sometime in the last 5 hours. I have found three S/Ls (not sets) below 800, so get ready to hit the internet kids, here they are:

#774 from Analecta Books in the UK, price is £399.99 plus P+P:

http://www.analectabooks.com/stephen-king--the-little-sisters-of-eluria-traycased-signed-limited-edition.html

#720, from Preferred Books via Abe, #720 for $615:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1359015046&searchurl=kn%3Deluria%26sts%3Dt%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

And the lowest number I could find, Jeff Bergman Books, #144, for $598.50:

http://www.choosebooks.com/displayBookDetails.do?itemId=157222681&b=1

Rahfa
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I'd let these prices shakeout before I jumped on a copy...people don't really know about the new book yet, and I think there will be a lot of copies floating around between now and "next spring."

I'm not sure what a legit price is, but I think $600 is a little high.

I feel for Boome...the reality, though, is that most customers aren't buying ONE LSOE and ONE WTTK...they've been buying other books too, whether after-market or not. I think the number of people who stepped up for only LSOE is pretty low...and since there hadn't been much movement on DT VII (required for LSOE), I think most of those people are into their third Grant book. In fact, most who own a # 800 or below have probably been buying since at least Wastelands.

It's not "fair," but nothing would be...and I think most of these 800 copies will go to legit long-term customers, anyway. I've been buying my DT's at Grant since DT IV, after all.

pixiedark76
05-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Peace

DMG Slave

I think you deserve a hug. :grouphug::huglove: