PDA

View Full Version : What is the one King book you'd recommend a new reader?

mae
11-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Whenever I talk to someone about Stephen King, especially someone who never read any of his books, the one book I always recommend they try in The Green Mile. I don't know why, but it's the one I feel would most likely show a new reader King in his best light. It's not a horror novel, though grisly things happen; it's not a supernatural novel, though weird things happen. I think it's just a great novel. If in response I get "I saw the movie and it was kinda blah", I always reply that I didn't like the filmed version much at all, and that's true. I didn't feel Darabont really conveyed the feeling of the novel as I read it. It's a personal thing, I guess, but that's how I felt. I was bored by the movie, but I loved the book.

So, what are your books that you would recommend? It has to be only one, the one you're most confident in recommending. I suppose you can't name The Stand or It, as they're probably too daunting for newbies.

flaggwalkstheline
11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd say some of his early classics, the shining, salems lot, carrie, etc

ManOfWesternesse
11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Regardless of your advice in the first post - I'd recommend "The Stand" to them. I always think if they get that then they'll go on to read a LOT of King.

As a good alternative - "The Long Walk" !

Brice
11-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I always recommend The Dark Tower. I don't know how many have actually read it because of that though.

mia/susannah
11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Regardless of your advice in the first post - I'd recommend "The Stand" to them. I always think if they get that then they'll go on to read a LOT of King.

As a good alternative - "The Long Walk" !

I totally agree with you. I would recommend The Stand as well.

lophophoras
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I always recommend The Stand, but I warn it's a long read.

Jean
11-10-2009, 08:28 AM
It

mae
11-10-2009, 08:31 AM
The reason I said I wouldn't recommend It or The Stand is that some people who never read King have a pre-existing condition (to borrow from current parlance), considering him a "horror writer", and some have an automatic aversion to that.

fernandito
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I want to say Desperation, it was my first King experience and it will forever be one of my favorites. The book is accessible in terms of length, it has excellent pacing, an eerie-tense atmosphere, and an excellent villian / set of protagonists.

Sickrose
11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I would say Salem's Lot - plus it can lead into the DT series :)

Jean
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
The reason I said I wouldn't recommend It or The Stand is that some people who never read King have a pre-existing condition (to borrow from current parlance), considering him a "horror writer", and some have an automatic aversion to that.
I think this is one of the reasons why I would recommend It. I want such people to see right from the word go that King is a great writer, that including horrors into one's novel doesn't make them any less great as literature, and that dividing books by genre makes sense only when we're talking about books that are not great literature, or not literature at all; while a good book is a good book regardless of the genre. If the people in question fail to understand it, I say to hell with them; I won't bother them with any King, horror or no horror, any longer.

cozener
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Depends on what they're into but I'd likely recommend Salem's Lot. But I'd recommend The Stand to someone that wasn't into "horror". I don't consider The Stand a horror story.

tamez
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I always recommend The Dark Tower. I don't know how many have actually read it because of that though.

me too
mostly because it is so different
from what they will expect
also, the first book is relatively short
so it's not much of a commitment.
i like the stand and it very much
but honestly, trying to get someone
to read something just 'cause you said
it's good is hard enough
there's no way i'm going to recommend
massive tomes like that for a beginner and
actually expect them to read them.

Letti
11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Very good question pablo. It depends on the person I need to recommend to.
I might recommend a short story first. They are frenetic and they hit. I may recommend That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French. It's not my forever favourite but this short story of his is so well written that it's almost beyond belief. It's perfect and professional. It shows that King was born to write.
If I had to come up with a book I would recommend Dolores Claiborne. I know it's not a popular book but I remember how much it shook me when I read it. When I finished that book I started to wonder how so many people could misunderstand King and his work.

flaggwalkstheline
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM

those people are ignorant, they need to read something like It to frighten them into higher states of consciousness

Alex
11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Insomnia

overhoser
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I would probably recommend Insomnia as well. It wasn't my first King book, but the first time I read it, it blew me away more than anything else I had read by him. It's been probably 15 years since the first time I read it, but it's still my favorite "standalone" book by SK (read: my favorite non-DT series book).

That being said, I suggested it to my wife. She did not enjoy it. She also didn't like The Gunslinger. But she loves SK. Go figure.

I might also suggest Needful Things, although I have no real reason. And I might warn them about the strange Elvis picture lovemaking.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
It depends on the person I am recommending to. If it is an otherwise avid reader, that I feel the length is not so daunting, I usually recommend IT.

If it is sombody, like my brother, who would require 6 years to finish a book of that magnitude, I usually recommend Pet Sematary.

But I often recommend others based on personality, and what I think they will like.

Sam
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
The first book I will recommend for people who don't like "horror stories" is Eyes of the Dragon. The first King book I'd recommend for someone wanting to start reading King is Salem's Lot.

Candice Dionysus
11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Pet Sematary. It was the first one I read, and it was the one that made me decide "Hey! Guess what? I love this man, and I love the way he writes! I'm going to make it a goal in my life to read everything he's ever written!"

Or, The Talisman. That solidified the feeling, and made me fall in love left, right, and center. One of my all time favorites.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I also popped my King cherry with Pet Sematary. It was also the only book (ever) that I immediately flipped back to the first page and started to reread. literally without even getting up. I have since reread it many times. Just recently infact.

darkrose
11-11-2009, 04:18 AM
id recommend Everything's Eventual, a very colorful collection of short stories.

John Blaze
11-11-2009, 04:40 AM
gotta be Carrie.

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
The Shining. It's a great novel, probably one of the few that I can really see being considered a literary classic in the next 50 years, and it's fairly short so the new reader wouldn't feel intimidated.

cody44
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
So, what are your books that you would recommend? It has to be only one, the one you're most confident in recommending. I suppose you can't name The Stand or It, as they're probably too daunting for newbies.

My first King book was the Stand, and I don't think it would be to daunting for newcomers to King's style. Although I think that a good place to start would be Salem's Lot, Different Seasons, or the Green Mile. Maybe even Night Shift if the person is a big short story fan.

Girlystevedave
11-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Desperation :)

Jean
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
My wife's romance with King started with It... that was the first real book she read in English, too...

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
i don't think they'd be daunting for avid readers, but people who read but not too much might be scared off. That's why I always start people with Carrie.

Jean
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
i don't think they'd be daunting for avid readers, but people who read but not too much might be scared off. That's why I always start people with Carrie.
I start my students with Carrie, or Shawshank.

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 12:51 AM
nice. i knew you were smart.

Myste
11-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Something from the early years... Carrie or Salem's Lot

Brice
11-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm not too particular. I just chain them in the basement and don't let them out till they've read ALL of SK's books. :innocent:

alinda
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
:wtf:

I had occasion to reccomend a new SK reader to The Talisman the other day
followed by of course Black House. They had amazingly enough seen the site up on my monitor, and we started talking TDT, which they had just finished...What a happy day
for me to meet someone at hospital to talk tower with! :rose:

TheCrisisKing
11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Start with "It", some of the earlier works, then The Stand and finish with his my most recent favorite Under the Dome

cody44
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I gave my girlfriend a copy of the Green Mile while she was away in Germany, and just recently I gave her a copy of the Gunslinger.

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Start with "It", some of the earlier works, then The Stand and finish with his my most recent favorite Under the Dome
has it earned the appellative "favorite"? it just came out yesterday.

Ruthful
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
gotta be Carrie.

Yep.

I would also suggest they try one of his shorter collections, e.g. Night Shift. That, along with Carrie and The Stand, was one of the first King books I read.

Bloodsoup
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Whilst I am a new comer here I am well acquainted with sai King's work, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned From a Buick 8 or Rose Madder. Both are excellent and also not what most people who don't know King's work would expect. Not to mention they are not too long and both tie-in to the Dark Tower (however slightly). The Regulators is also great but you'd probably want to read Desperation first.

Of those that others have mentioned already I'd agree with 'Salem's Lot (for a horror fan) and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (for those otherwise inclined).

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Night Shift is ok, but my favorite short story collection is Different Seasons. I don't know if that counts, seeing as how it's 4 novellas, not really short stories. I guess Everything's Eventual.

mystima
11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
i would start with eyes of the dragon, the girl who loved tom gordon, or the colorodo kid

pathoftheturtle
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I think this is one of the reasons why I would recommend It. I want such people to see right from the word go that King is a great writer, that including horrors into one's novel doesn't make them any less great as literature, and that dividing books by genre makes sense only when we're talking about books that are not great literature, or not literature at all; while a good book is a good book regardless of the genre. If the people in question fail to understand it, I say to hell with them; I won't bother them with any King, horror or no horror, any longer.People who were not old enough at the time that It was published may not be aware of what a huge popular success it was; a publishing phenomena, and a household word to some generations.

Different Seasons, yes, would be a good choice for a first SK book, for the obvious reason that three out of four have hit films adapted from them. Also, it has such distinctive style and appealling essence.

I might also suggest Danse Macabre as intro for a certain audience. Or maybe to read second, third.. somewhen early on. Y'all can call me crazy, but I do think that it can be great in getting to know Uncle Steve.
i would start with eyes of the dragon, the girl who loved tom gordon, or the colorodo kid:orely: Yar... those are some other good thoughts. I did read EotD to my kids.
And Colorado Kid might sway your stiffer intellectual crowd.

Ben Mears
11-13-2009, 11:28 AM
'Salem's Lot for horror
Dead Zone for non-horror
Different Seasons for stories

Jean
11-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Dead Zone for non-horrors
That was the first King book I read... love it.

TheCrisisKing
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
has it earned the appellative "favorite"? it just came out yesterday.

Ive had advanced copy before that

John Blaze
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Cool beans! I wish I had one, I've been too busy to go buy one yet. :(

still though, not sure I'd call it a favorite.

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd choose Salem's Lot or The Long Walk.

Heather19
11-16-2009, 06:03 AM
It depends on the person that I'm recommending it to. Just recently I recommended It to a friend as his first King book, and he flew through it. I've also recommended Different Seasons to a few other friends that I know wouldn't be able to handle horror stories as their first King experience. So it really depends on the person, and the type of story they might like. But those would be my two picks.

pathoftheturtle
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
It depends on the person that I'm recommending it to. Just recently I recommended It to a friend as his first King book, and he flew through it. I've also recommended Different Seasons to a few other friends that I know wouldn't be able to handle horror stories as their first King experience. So it really depends on the person, and the type of story they might like. But those would be my two picks.
:thumbsup: Precisely, right on.

Coldalarm
11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Eyes of the Dragon or Carrie.

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 05:45 PM
You know, as someone who read him as a a sort of contemporary, I would actually probably reccomend "Carrie". I remember that as a kid reading SK's original "off the beaten track" (at least at the time remember Blatty and such were out around then) approach to the Horror or scary story was a major turnabout from the traditional horror stuff. Psychic angle was kinda new and un-tested in this genre (at least as I recall for mainstream) and he kinda followed up that theme for the next few books (remember the Psychic residue of the Marsten house) At the time it was kinda "funky fresh" (pardon my old-time vocabulary) and really got me interested, along with his ability to develop characters in a unique way.

I know that later he sort of abandoned that theme and then sort of picked it up again on a regular basis in DT but, it was his fresh approach and character driven writing I think that first hooked me. Now he could just about write a "bathroom Book" and I would probably read it and most likely (given his craft and devotion) Love it!!!!
For what its worth, I personally recall a certain call it "DT connectivity" throughout his first 4 or 5 books with that "Pyschic/Paranormal" theme throughout that was kinda cool and fresh (Carrie, Shining, Dead Zone, Christine, Firestarter and even Salem's Lot and The Stand.) It was Different at the time, sort of like how we viewed "Halloween" when it first came out as compared to now. Different conventions, thought processes and morals were in play back then.

Anyone out there know what I mean sort of?

Also, "Carrie" was a relatively short book as opposed to "The Stand", (which I would rather reccomend first) which is a much more daunting task. Carrie kinda lets a folken get an "appetizer so to speak rather than asking to eat the "entree" (How's that for a metaphor?) and then progress as if the reader were discovering SK along the original timeline and thought progression. Make sense?
Just some, how you guys say? "Old School" thoughts to marinate!

lisaki
11-22-2009, 03:47 AM
"Green Mile" is a safe choice :)
My absolute favorite book, apart of the DT series is "IT".
I'd recommend it more often to people who like horror if it wasn't that
children gangbang scene
which shocks so many, including me :orely:

I also recommend "Misery". Never met a person who didn't like that. Pure suspense.

Spawn
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Carrie is a very good book to start. I also would recommend It to a SK beginner...but well, I recommend "It" to everybody.

Jean
11-23-2009, 01:12 AM
"Green Mile" is a safe choice :)
It may be a great choice, even the right choice, but not really a safe one. I personally could never finish Green Mile, and don't think I ever will. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

lisaki
11-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Why Jean? Is it the drama or you just can't get into it?

Jean
11-23-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't know. I know it bored me to death. I couldn't care less about any of the characters, with the single exception of Mr.Jingles, and the story didn't touch anything in my soul.

lisaki
11-23-2009, 01:52 AM
That happened to me with Salem's Lot. Took 3 tries to read it. I now love it though :)

Jean
11-23-2009, 02:16 AM
hmmm

hmmmmmm

maybe I should, some day........

deanmc27
11-23-2009, 04:03 AM
The Shining! first SK book i ever read and i loved it!

pathoftheturtle
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
You know, as someone who read him as a a sort of contemporary, I would actually probably reccomend "Carrie". I remember that as a kid reading SK's original "off the beaten track" (at least at the time remember Blatty and such were out around then) approach to the Horror or scary story was a major turnabout from the traditional horror stuff. Psychic angle was kinda new and un-tested in this genre (at least as I recall for mainstream) and he kinda followed up that theme for the next few books (remember the Psychic residue of the Marsten house) At the time it was kinda "funky fresh" (pardon my old-time vocabulary) and really got me interested, along with his ability to develop characters in a unique way.

I know that later he sort of abandoned that theme and then sort of picked it up again on a regular basis in DT but, it was his fresh approach and character driven writing I think that first hooked me. Now he could just about write a "bathroom Book" and I would probably read it and most likely (given his craft and devotion) Love it!!!!
For what its worth, I personally recall a certain call it "DT connectivity" throughout his first 4 or 5 books with that "Pyschic/Paranormal" theme throughout that was kinda cool and fresh (Carrie, Shining, Dead Zone, Christine, Firestarter and even Salem's Lot and The Stand.) It was Different at the time, sort of like how we viewed "Halloween" when it first came out as compared to now. Different conventions, thought processes and morals were in play back then.

Anyone out there know what I mean sort of?

Also, "Carrie" was a relatively short book as opposed to "The Stand", (which I would rather reccomend first) which is a much more daunting task. Carrie kinda lets a folken get an "appetizer so to speak rather than asking to eat the "entree" (How's that for a metaphor?) and then progress as if the reader were discovering SK along the original timeline and thought progression. Make sense?
Just some, how you guys say? "Old School" thoughts to marinate!But there's lots of other great choices now, if you're trying to introduce someone who somehow never caught on to SK. Carrie, maybe, if the hypothetical first time King reader is a teenager. (Can't say for sure if it still appeals to modern kids, though. I'm too old-fashioned, myself.)

11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
But there's lots of other great choices now, if you're trying to introduce someone who somehow never caught on to SK. Carrie, maybe, if the hypothetical first time King reader is a teenager. (Can't say for sure if it still appeals to modern kids, though. I'm too old-fashioned, myself.)

I may not be a teenager anymore but I read it only a few years ago when I was 12 or 13 and I thought it was gripping. I guess modern kids, especially girls, would still like Carrie.

jack12k6
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
For first book reference, I would prob. suggest a mainstream SK book(not one of the real long novels), like The Shining or Firestarter to get the flavor. One could argue that reading one of his early short story collections like Night Shift might get one started.

sofaki
11-25-2009, 07:27 AM
For a new reader, I would recommend Everything's Eventual, although my all times favorite books are the Dark Tower (of course!) and Insomnia :thumbsup:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Long Walk. I read that when i was a kid and it messed my head up. Its not horror and is quite short, with only a few characters, so its an easy read. perfect for a person who doesn't read much.

I lured my friend,(who hadn't read abook since school) into reading the DT books, with bachman books and hearts in atlantis. he now texts me for recommendations. He's reading cycle of the werewolf at the moment, and loving it.

sofaki
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Long Walk. I read that when i was a kid and it messed my head up. Its not horror and is quite short, with only a few characters, so its an easy read. perfect for a person who doesn't read much.

I lured my friend,(who hadn't read abook since school) into reading the DT books, with bachman books and hearts in atlantis. he now texts me for recommendations. He's reading cycle of the werewolf at the moment, and loving it.

Long Walk! It was the first Stephen King' book I read! Perfect! As you said, it messed my head up too:cyclops:

nocny
11-28-2009, 05:36 AM
IT

it has everything what is the best in King's writing. on the second hand it's so long so some people can be afraid of it :D

cody44
11-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't recommend IT to a new reader. I think that its size and scope would put off a lot of people. I also think that it would be enjoyed more once somebody has become familiar with King.

I think jumping in somewhere earlier would be easier on new readers.

TLC
11-28-2009, 10:58 PM
My husband who's mostly into fantasy books recently notified me that, since he didn't currently have any books ready from the library, he stole one of my books to read which happened to be Stephen King's book Duma Key. He's always stated that King was not his type of author (despite what I've said) so I was super surprised to find this out!! Anyways, he stated that he absolutely loved it and want to read more. What should I recommend next?!
:thumbsup:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Thats a tough one. Duma Key was unlike most of his other books. For some reason, Insomnia comes to mind as a good follow up.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
11-29-2009, 12:11 AM
i tried to get my folks to read King. my mam read Duma key and loved it, so i gave her The stand, which she quit... too much too fast. i then thought, whats the most abstract book i could give her? Rose madder... she loved it. shes now reading buik 8 but i dont think she likes it.

as for my step-dad... he dismissed King. but he's a dick. His fav author his dan brown.

Ste Letto
11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
If they have a taste for horror it would have to be Salem's Lot or The Shining.
If they have a taste for a thriller I'd say The Dead Zone.
If they want something epic and apocalyptic then it's The Stand.

If I had to pick one I'd say Dead Zone.

pathoftheturtle
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
My husband who's mostly into fantasy books recently notified me that, since he didn't currently have any books ready from the library, he stole one of my books to read which happened to be Stephen King's book Duma Key. He's always stated that King was not his type of author (despite what I've said) so I was super surprised to find this out!! Anyways, he stated that he absolutely loved it and want to read more. What should I recommend next?!
Thats a tough one. Duma Key was unlike most of his other books. ...In some ways, maybe, but it does revolve around a basic "Team Journey into Lair of Evil Nemesis" narrative structure, as seen in such works as Black House, It, Desperation, and 'Salem's Lot. On the other hand, it has a mature style, so if you don't want to give him The Talisman before Black House, a way to further shore up by his respect for SK might be with Misery or Bag of Bones. After one or more of any of these, I'd recommend Hearts in Atlantis to test if he's ready for TDT.

craig85br
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I would recommend Black House. Although it was written with Peter Straub I think it has King stamped all over it and is one of my favourite books. I thought the characters were excellent and encompasses a lot of aspects of King; the fantasy genre including links to TDT, the horror/thriller/suspense aspect and more. This was the book that got me in to reading TDT series so its a great way to get a newbie interested in TDT as it worked for me!!

MonteGss
11-30-2009, 04:00 PM

I'd suggest Eyes of the Dragon.
Not what I would call "typical King," it's certainly fantasy-like and will also test to see if he might be interested in TDT. :)

nocny
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't. Eyes Of The Dragon is rather for younger readers.
and besides it is VERY diiferent to "normal" King so TLC's husband can have wrong idea about King ;) If he loved Duma Key so much maybe Bag Of Bones could be a choice but then again, isn't it too similar and the man can have wrong idea about King again? :D

MonteGss
11-30-2009, 07:51 PM
To each his own. I didn't find EotD to be for young readers. Different perspective, I guess. You asked, I gave.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
How 'bout this. Let him read the dust jackets and choose one that he finds interesting.

just a thought

nocny
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
To each his own. I didn't find EotD to be for young readers. Different perspective, I guess.

Probably but you know, Steve wrote it for his children ;)

How 'bout this. Let him read the dust jackets and choose one that he finds interesting.

hehe, now that's the simply and great idea :) let the man himself choose :)

MonteGss
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
The Hobbit was a written for children too.

If you want opinions on book recommendations, don't criticize them afterwards.

nocny
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
If you are writing to me I don't get it because I didn't criticize anything and anyone :unsure:

pathoftheturtle
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM

hehe, now that's the simply and great idea :) let the man himself choose :)Of course. Still reasonable for a reader with direct experience to offer some guidance, tho. It's conceivable that he might read the sales copy for 'Salem's Lot, for example, and conclude that he's not interested in vampires, then miss out on the human interest elements. TLC obviously knows him better than any of us, and might understand why King is "not his type of author." I'm assuming that that means he's just not interested in horror. Some aren't; that's the reason that I recommend Danse Macabre for people who are starting to think that they might enjoy King. He wrote nicely there about the horror genre and how he views it. Best advice, however, is for TLC to first talk more with him about his tastes. She might convince him to enjoy some new things, but what's more important is that they'll be able to enjoy that discussion.
And the same goes for all of us here. "Opinions" and "criticisms" are two words with basically the same meaning. I think that it's really nice that we can share various thoughts on all of this. Let's keep it positive. :)

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Desperation! Definitely Desperation, it was the first Stephen King book that I read, my older brother's wife recommended it to me. It was such a chilling and gripping novel, I've read and re-read the book so many times

I love it with a passion

Brice
12-11-2009, 04:20 AM
So...do you like Desperation?

Jean
12-11-2009, 04:41 AM
yes, it would seem that mdarkpoet was somewhat inclined to fancy Desperation, to an extent

as it is the case with bears...

TLC
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Well,
I talked to him on the phone last night and told him to read the jackets on the books like BROWNINGS CHILDE recommended but he told me he is already done reading Gunslinger and onto The drawing of three!!!
He is having a tough time getting through it though with the character development of Susannah. I told him not to give up!:cowboy:

12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Cool! We'll have another junkie on here soon :rock:

kyngbaub
12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I honestly convinced several people from work to read The Gunslinger. I told them that if the could get through it, there were others in the series and it was an amazing read. Every one of them have been successfully turned into junkies!

12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
There used to be a thread at .net in which people told how many people they made into DT junkies. I guess you should be on the list :)

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
...He is having a tough time getting through it though with the character development of Susannah. I told him not to give up!:cowboy:Good. :nods: I think I know just what you mean. see first paragraph, this post (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=296012&postcount=30)
I honestly convinced several people from work to read The Gunslinger. I told them that if the could get through it, there were others in the series and it was an amazing read. Every one of them have been successfully turned into junkies!Yeah, I don't imagine that it'd really be necessary to read any other SK books before DT1.
As long as the person who doesn't enjoy it right away knows better than to automatically get turned off from all of King's other work. And as long as the majority who will enjoy it don't mind breaking from the series to read some of his other books. I mean, I know that some folken here did read TDT straight through before they ever went back to pick up any earlier SK book. I just can't imagine that, personally. :orely: DT2, sure; most people in the world today have at least heard of The Shining, so that's enough. Other connections in TDOTT are rendered moot. But, I sure did enjoy DT3 more from first knowing SK in detail.

Jean
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
There used to be a thread at .net in which people told how many people they made into DT junkies. I guess you should be on the list

we have one too, of course! (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=690)

ETA: path was quicker...

TheRedKing
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
If I were recommending them to read just one King book then it would have to be Talisman. Its such a rich blend of adventure, fantasy and horror, my favourite King book ever.

If I was recommending them to pick a book to start with, a taste of King, then I'd say Salems Lot. It has ever aspect we all come to expect in Kings books, the familiar characters, scenes that chill the spine and a catastrophic ending. It is also brilliant :)

TLC
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I admit, I also had a hard time getting to "know" Susannah...but it does pay off in the end.

LOL @ pathoftheturtle .... u want to kiss beam boy!

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Well! It's easy to make fun, when you haven't filled out answers for yourself. -_^

TLC
12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
i sure did fill it out! a while back though!

I'm not making fun of you!! I'm laughing with you. :wtf:

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 03:43 PM
i sure did fill it out! a while back though!
:doh: I'm sorry. Really? ...I... ...still can't find that...
:unsure:

I'm not making fun of you!! I'm laughing with you. :wtf:Yar. I see. A lot of things are relative.

GirlGoneNineteen
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I recommend Drawing of the Three (The Gunslinger can be a little off for first time readers, I know I didn't like it the first time even being a Constant Reader! I tell them to read Gunslinger AFTER they finish the series :) Makes so much more sense. I was hooked at the lobstrosities.)
Other contenders are Misery, Different Seasons, The Stand, and, if we're including Bachman in the running, Blaze and The Regulators!

JameseyLefebure
12-19-2009, 05:32 AM
IT!! IT!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!!!

I know that's is a massive book but I've recogmended it to about 6 people, lent it to them only for them to become S.K junkies :) Woop Woop!! :)
I also normally talk about the dark tower for a while first then suggest the first book, but i do normally say that the 2nd is much better and after that they're hooked :) I've managed to get the 3 lads I work with hooked on The Dark Tower ;)

Jamesey
xxxx

12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
I think I know just what you mean. see first paragraph, this post (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=296012&postcount=30)

There used to be a thread at .net in which people told how many people they made into DT junkies. I guess you should be on the list

we have one too, of course! (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=690)

ETA: path was quicker...

Oops thank you both :)

NoLabelBG
12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
IT!! IT!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!!!

I know that's is a massive book but I've recogmended it to about 6 people, lent it to them only for them to become S.K junkies :) Woop Woop!! :)
Jamesey
xxxx

I totally agree with you! IT was my first Stephen King book, and i was hooked up instantly! There is no problem that it's a massive book, because when you reach the final words, you just can't accept that everything is over, and you want more and more! Or at least that was in my case!

SynysterSaint
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I would recommend 'Salem's Lot. As a few people have already said, it is a good lead-in to The Dark Tower series. I read it in between WaG and WotC because I read on the back of WotC that Father Callahan was in it. So obviously I wanted to read his story before I got to his character in Calla Bryn Sturgis. Not to mention 'Salem's Lot is a great example of Stephen King's ability to take old stories and make them fresh again. He is one of the few authors I've seen who can accomplish it successfully.

michalz00
03-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Hard choice. I would recommend The Shining or Salme's Lot.

Not too long and both are a good showcase of King's talent.

Flavio
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I started reading S.K. Books with Cell...
So that is the one I would recommend...

Darkthoughts
03-03-2010, 02:48 AM
If I'd have read Cell first I don't think I'd have gone on to read any of his other books :lol:

Brice
03-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I liked Cell.

Darkthoughts
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
I didn't mind it - I enjoyed the story and the concept, but it was so zombie-ish I probably would have thought that all King's stuff was in the same vein and not read more.

Hannah
03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I liked Cell, too! Crazy Lisa. :huglove:

Depending on the person I'd probably recommend Different Seasons, Hearts in Atlantis, or The Shining.

Darkthoughts
03-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm actually kind of a wuss when it comes to zombie stuff. It's a shame because I know it's keeping me from some good films. I've watched bits of lots of the classics (from behind the sofa) but the first zombie movie I ever watched the whole way through was Shaun Of The Dead :D Then I got a bit hardcore with Dead Set...that was pretty freaky though...

For a first SK read I'd say either Eyes Of The Dragon, The Talisman or Firestarter or if I knew they liked something meatier, It or The Stand. I'd recommend DT if they could start with Drawing Of The Three, because I think The Gunslinger could put some people off if they weren't a fan already.

pathoftheturtle
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
My first SK book was The Tommyknockers, but I wouldn't suggest today that someone else start with that. Cell is on about the same level. Have you read much more King yet, Flavio? Like The Stand, for instance?

boq
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I've just seen a friend off with a copy of "Different Seasons". He just couldn't believe that King was responsible for "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Stand by Me". And both of them in the same book!
He's a big Harry Potter fan, but I think Sai King might just about knock him out of his socks :evil:

jhanic
03-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd agree with Different Seasons, especially because not all the stories are horror. (A lot of people are turned off by that.) I'd also recommend Dead Zone. It has some of King's best writing.

John

pathoftheturtle
03-06-2010, 11:47 AM
:thumbsup: Agreed, and agreed. I also think that what horror there is in Different Seasons is such as to ease some folks into the genre deftly.

boq
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Yep, although if he's hooked I'm gonna throw "Pet Sematary" at him next. I'm another who's first encounter with King was this novel... I think I was maybe around 15 at the time and just getting into horror. I'd never read anything like it before... the overpowering advancing doom of the tale. It's the only book I've ever read which I closed with a physical shudder... and which left me concerned about turning out the light :scared:

Darkthoughts
03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
The Body is one of my absolute favourite stories ever, but I can't stand Apt Pupil, which is why I wouldn't recommend Different Seasons. I think Skeleton Crew is a classic for King's short stories - that wouldn't be a bad first choice.

Mrs. Underwood
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
I find this question to be a difficult one, because I've converted several people to reading Stephen King, and I had to take a different approach with everyone. For instance, I have a friend who hates horror, because she's very squeamish and easily frightened by that kind of thing. BUT she loves fairy tales. So I gave her The Eyes of the Dragon, and she loved it. From there, she graduated to The Talisman and Black House, so I'm slowly getting her on the right track. I think I'm going to try her on Different Seasons next, since "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and "The Body" are both excellent and not really horror-related.

I have another friend who is currently getting interested in expanding her reading horizons (finally!), so I'm going to make her a summer reading list with lots of Stephen King on it. She asked me point-blank what my favorite books of his are, and I told her It and The Stand (trust me, she knows I love the Dark Tower), so I'm hoping that means she'll give them both a chance. The great thing is, I told her the page count for them, and she didn't even bat an eyelash! So at least I won't hear any heaving and sighing about that. ;) I did recommend "The Gingerbread Girl" to her, because she's the type who would love a story about a woman winning in a battle against a serial killer, and I think I got her interested in reading more that way.

Said ALL that to say, it depends on the person and where their interests lie.

divemaster
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM
The Stand was my first introduction to King, and it hooked me for life. My all time favorite book. So unless I knew the person has ADD or something, I'd recommend The Stand. Hey, it worked for me, right?

If for some reason I thought the person just wouldn't pick it up, I'd recommend Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, and while you're add it, just read all 4 stories in Different Seasons, ok?

Jean
03-16-2010, 02:51 AM
If for some reason I thought the person just wouldn't pick it up, I'd recommend Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, and while you're add it, just read all 4 stories in Different Seasons, ok?
that's how I started at least five people

MonteGss
03-16-2010, 07:44 AM
It's surprising that some of our members would recommend a King short story to a new reader. I don't find his short stories to be worth digging in to until after he/she is introduced to some of the classic King novels.

I believe I started with It, so that is probably where I'd point newbees to. However, I agree with Mrs Underwood and I would probably have to tailor any suggestion to different people. No short stories though.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Monte - I can understand recommending a short story. For one thing, it's much less intimidating to a new reader. Imagine someone handing you The Stand ... it weighs about three pounds!! The number of pages alone are likely to turn off some readers.

Kronz
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
No one guided me, though it might have helped a little bit. I ended up with The Dark Half because I didn't realize King's name was spelled Stephen, not Steven. The computer at the library only had the one novel by "Steven King" and it was in Teen, so I checked it out, assuming adults didn't like him enough to stock all his books. A week later when I returned I found a nearly complete collection in Adult Fiction and was thrilled to check out most of them over the following years.

The Dark Half was pretty good to me then but I have never felt like re-reading it. The Gunslinger's what got me hooked, I took home it and Different Seasons on my discovery of his huge shelf at the library and have been a huge fan since.

MonteGss
03-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Monte - I can understand recommending a short story. For one thing, it's much less intimidating to a new reader. Imagine someone handing you The Stand ... it weighs about three pounds!! The number of pages alone are likely to turn off some readers.

I love short stories!

I just disagree with the idea of introducing King to a new reader through one of his short stories! Most of them are TERRIBLE! :lol:
Stephen King is a novelist so for me, there is no introduction to him with a short story.

mae
03-17-2010, 04:38 AM
My first exposure to King was through reading The Ledge in my ninth grade English class :) At the time I pretty much had no idea who King was.

Jean
03-17-2010, 04:41 AM
I daresay you had no idea who he really was until you read a novel... I am with Monte as far as his short stories are concerned.

mae
03-17-2010, 04:43 AM
You're absolutely right, Jean. Later that year I read Pet Sematary, strangely enough not noticing the author's name or connecting it to the short story.

MonteGss
03-17-2010, 05:16 AM
I daresay you had no idea who he really was until you read a novel... I am with Monte as far as his short stories are concerned.

stevohump
09-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I would suggest the same books I started with, The Shining. Its not to long and I think it gives the reader I good idea what King is all about. My second choice would be 'Salem's Lot

blavigne
09-05-2011, 09:13 AM
My first was The Dead Zone and I was hooked. Then The Shining then Firestarter. I would recommend any of those. They all left me wanting more. But none like TDT. I still want more and more and more. I never got tired of reading or listening to or discussing it.

Jean
09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
My first was The Dead Zone
wow, mine too!!!

and I was hooked.
so were bears!

AndrewP
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Without doubt, I would recommend The Shining to anyone remotely interested in reading King's work. From there, allow him or her to choose, but I would have suggestions to definitely "put off until much later," (... Dreamcatcher)

I also really enjoyed Hearts in Atlantis as a short story collection, especially the title story and "Low Men in Yellow Coats"... though I would have to tell them to avoid the crappy movie as well. That almost ruined it for me.

The Road Virus
01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I would suggest The Gunslinger... for many of the reasons Pablo mentioned in the opening post. It is not horror but grisly things happen, it is not too long of a book and you really get a feel for how SK writes. You said one so I would just say The Gunslinger and if they wanted to keep following Roland they could.

In the same vein as Andrew: I really liked Everything's Eventual, especially the short story from which I drew my TDT.org name ('The Road Virus Heads North").

Ben Mears
01-19-2012, 06:28 AM
The Dead Zone

mae
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I'd go with 11/22/63 now. Not typical King, but what's typical King anyway?

Shawn
01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Everything's Eventual.. good way to start king tends to carry over his short stories or at least parts of them to other novels

pathoftheturtle
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I'd go with 11/22/63 now. Not typical King, but what's typical King anyway?Hearts in Atlantis, maybe? A little of most of his regular motifs. (Not to suggest I think it's best for new readers.)

jhanic
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I would now go along with Pablo and highly recommend 11/22/63. That book should appeal to just about everyone!

John

Jean
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
... except bears

sorry

mae
01-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Maybe it's an American thing, Jean? Though I never lived through the '50s or '60s (but I must confess my all-time favorite TV shows are I Love Lucy and The Twilight Zone). Most reviews I have read are overwhelmingly positive, even from people who never read King at all.

Garrell
01-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I also would recommend 11/22/63, awesome story and not too much horror/gore for the peeps who avoid those things, my girlfriend being one.

Jean
01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Maybe it's an American thing, Jean? Though I never lived through the '50s or '60s (but I must confess my all-time favorite TV shows are I Love Lucy and The Twilight Zone). Most reviews I have read are overwhelmingly positive, even from people who never read King at all.I don't know. A good book should come across no matter what. I am not saying this is a bad one - but bordering on mediocrity. I haven't finished it yet; I hope I will. Some 200 pages left to go. There were some nice moments, when he was teaching in that school; the rest is mainly boring or annoying. I will review it when I've finished.

Mattrick
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
My brother is getting into reading for the first time about ever and I want to get him into Stephen King. Nothing to big for him so I was thinking about The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon since it is a relatively short and simple book but I don't think he'd get into it. For him something like Cell would be a good one as he recently read World War Z. My personal recommendation for anyone starting King would be Bag of Bones as I think it's his most complete novel in terms of meshing a solid real world story that is entirely believable with some very creepy supernatural elements. Other than that I'd have to recommend Carrie. Short and good and gives a good idea of what King will be all about.

Laurar
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I always say The Stand, this is my all time favorite book. My other suggestion would be Under the Dome, much easier reading that the Tommyknockers , which I loved but not a book for everyone.

proverbs32
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
My First SK Book was 11/22/63 loved it so much that I started buying up all the rest of his books in local charity shops win win for everyone!!!.
I'm reading "The Stand" at the moment on chapter 48!!

proverbs32
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
OK so after I've finished reading "The Stand" Which SK Book should I read next? I wanna start reading the TDT books.
But I've heard that these books are connected to most of the other SK books??.
I'm very new and green please forgive me :D.
I was thinking of first reading something other than TDT books in order for me to be better perpared for what's to come within TDT?.
Salem's Lot's or IT, Or Anything else you would recommed a very green SK fan?.

Forge of the King
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I started with "The Gunslinger" as my first Stephen King book and was hooked. I would recommend it to anybody who likes (or is at least okay with) fantasy/western, especially because it begins the whole Dark Tower series (which I read straight through in the last few months).

I just finished The Shining as my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King novel today and would recommend it to anybody who is more interested in horror than fantasy.

jhanic
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
A lot of people had trouble reading The Gunslinger (the style is very different from the other DT books). If you start The Gunslinger and have a problem, try reading DT II, The Drawing of the Three, then go back to The Gunslinger. I wouldn't worry about reading any of the other books to "lead up to" the DT series.

John

Merlin1958
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
A lot of people had trouble reading The Gunslinger (the style is very different from the other DT books). If you start The Gunslinger and have a problem, try reading DT II, The Drawing of the Three, then go back to The Gunslinger. I wouldn't worry about reading any of the other books to "lead up to" the DT series.

John

Agreed. John has it pegged!!! If not the DT books read 'Salem's Lot, that was one creepy-ass book!!!! Then maybe "Christine" one of my Favs!!!

pathoftheturtle
02-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Eyes of the Dragon also has a different style from SK's other work, and not the same style as The Gunslinger. You might try that first. But, no, you don't have to read everything before you start TDT series. I would recommend taking breaks between volumes, though. You'll want to read Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, Desperation, 'Salem's Lot, etc. before you get all the way through. Keep an eye on the "Also by this author" page as you go, it'll work out. Everything's eventual.

mae
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Either The Green Mile or Per Sematary.

proverbs32
02-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I popped my Stephen King Cherry With 11/22/63:biggrin1:

fernandito
02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
was it everything you hoped it would be ?

proverbs32
02-08-2012, 02:57 AM
was it everything you hoped it would be ?
I totally loved it, And I'm ashamed to say that I was a bit of a snob when it came to Stephen King in the past:frown2:
I don't know why did I assume this before I'd even read and judged for myself??. Well I did try to read Stephen King when I was a kid back in the early 90's
My Aunt given me alot of Stephen King Hardback Books, I tried reading "The Dark Half" but just couldn't focus enough to finish it (I loved the start of it).
I did watch on TV IT, The Stand, All the films too and loved them as well.
But I think it was the massive page numbers of his books that put me off until......
I was given a book token as a gift back in Nov 2011, And saw in Waterstones 11/22/63, I'd loved the cover, and had read rave reviews in the national press.
I read the first few pages there and then in Waterstones and was hooked!!!, Best £10 I'd spent in ages!!.
While I was reading 11/22/63 at home I looked up Stephen King on the internet and found lots of very helpful sites and pages for someone like me who wanted to know if it was worth investing time and money in buying and collecting Stephen King Books.
I took a step towards the Stephen King Universe I wasn't scared I was exicited!!!.
So between early Dec 2011 to a few weeks ago end of Jan 2012, I went to all the charity shops in my area (Windsor, Egham, Woking, Staines, Ashford, Richmond) and was very lucky to very quickly pick up almost all of the whole Stephen King written works (Apart from Carrie, Salem's Lot, Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Half, Christine, Firestarter, & Skeleton Crew) for only £1, 50p, £2, etc.
So now I'm only on my 2nd SK Book which is "The Stand" (Chapter 48).
I know I'm being a bit forward in joining this site as it's going to be a while before I feel I would be ready to start reading The Dark Tower books.
But I can't wait to get stuck in. Happy Reading to you all.

Iwritecode
02-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I've always though Different Seasons was a good SK book to start out with for somebody that has never read any of his stuff. All very solid stories that don't really connect with any of his other books. Stories that many people are familiar with if they've seen the movies.

Also no supernatural stuff except for little at the end of the Breathing Method.

They also show that he doesn't just write horror either.

divemaster
02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I was a bit of a snob when it came to Stephen King in the past:frown2:
I don't know why did I assume this before I'd even read and judged for myself??. Well I did try to read Stephen King when I was a kid back in the early 90's
My Aunt given me alot of Stephen King Hardback Books, I tried reading "The Dark Half" but just couldn't focus enough to finish it (I loved the start of it).
I did watch on TV IT, The Stand, All the films too and loved them as well.
But I think it was the massive page numbers of his books that put me off until......
I was given a book token as a gift back in Nov 2011, And saw in Waterstones 11/22/63, I'd loved the cover, and had read rave reviews in the national press.
I read the first few pages there and then in Waterstones and was hooked!!!, Best £10 I'd spent in ages!!.
While I was reading 11/22/63 at home I looked up Stephen King on the internet and found lots of very helpful sites and pages for someone like me who wanted to know if it was worth investing time and money in buying and collecting Stephen King Books.
I took a step towards the Stephen King Universe I wasn't scared I was exicited!!!.
So between early Dec 2011 to a few weeks ago end of Jan 2012, I went to all the charity shops in my area (Windsor, Egham, Woking, Staines, Ashford, Richmond) and was very lucky to very quickly pick up almost all of the whole Stephen King written works (Apart from Carrie, Salem's Lot, Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Half, Christine, Firestarter, & Skeleton Crew) for only £1, 50p, £2, etc.
So now I'm only on my 2nd SK Book which is "The Stand" (Chapter 48).
I know I'm being a bit forward in joining this site as it's going to be a while before I feel I would be ready to start reading The Dark Tower books.
But I can't wait to get stuck in. Happy Reading to you all.

Welcome to the world of Stephen King! You are on track for some very good reading. I hope you enjoy The Stand and whatever books you start on next. I also recommend Different Seasons--4 excellent stories that range from funny and sentimental to disturbingly creepy.

proverbs32
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Thank you Divemaster, I was thinking of maybe an shorter novel or maybe Night Shift. I really wanna try IT but I think this book would maybe be too much after reading The Stand??.
End of the day it doesn't really matter as long as I'm reading Stephen King.
I'm now on Chapter 49 of The Stand and loving it.......

pathoftheturtle
02-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Yes. It is my favorite, but I still think you're right -- you can wait to get into that one. Particularly if you're wanting to get into TDT soon. Again, Eyes of the Dragon, a shorter novel, or one of the Different Seasons novellas, which I agree is probably the best "one book to recommend a new reader."

mae
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I also think it's a great idea to read King's books in publication order.

proverbs32
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I also think it's a great idea to read King's books in publication order.

I am thinking about doing this...... Seems that SK has got so many good books I wanna read now!!!:excited:

mae
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
When I first started reading King in the mid-nineties, I read a couple of random books, but then went chronologically in publication order. I think it's the best way.

Lost Rose
02-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Duma Key!!!!!

beam*seeker
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I think Misery is a good start. It is a good self-contained story and isn't too much horror, has just enough suspense to keep it going. Also, it is realistic and it got me hooked. It doesn't require knowledge of other King books and if they like the style of it, I figure they can branch out from there.

harrison ryan
02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
My recommendations come after I've asked a couple questions to assess the kind of books this theoretical newbie already enjoys.
If I wanted to scare the s**t out of them, I'd give them Pet Sematary.
If I wanted to show them that King is not just scares, Different Seasons.
If they want epic and are not scared by thick books, The Stand.
A fantasy fan? Why, The Gunslinger, of course!

Edlchalz
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I always say storm of the century, it's written as a screen play which I found easy to follow and it's not too long, not to mention the movie is spot on. It was the first one I read.

Xile
03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
My recommendations come after I've asked a couple questions to assess the kind of books this theoretical newbie already enjoys.
If I wanted to scare the s**t out of them, I'd give them Pet Sematary.
If I wanted to show them that King is not just scares, Different Seasons.
If they want epic and are not scared by thick books, The Stand.
A fantasy fan? Why, The Gunslinger, of course!

I couldn't agree more with this. Are you my lost twin?

Cook
03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Dead Zone

sgc1999
03-25-2012, 11:52 AM
my pretty pony:)...juust kidding.:) if their ok with a little gore maybe needful things.