BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
This one is turning into an early landslide

Sam
11-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Two iconic characters.

John Blaze
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
This is a mismatch, for as good as Marlon Brando was, Heath Ledger was much better.

jayson
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
This is a mismatch, for as good as Marlon Brando was, Heath Ledger was much better.

two questions (and i am not picking on bruno)

1. are we voting for the character or the performance? and yes, i know the latter informs the former

b. (more a comment than a question) don't forget deniro's performance as vito in part 2. that was something spectacular. i know it says "the godfather" but i believe that characters that are in more than one film are being considered for all of it, yes?

Merlin1958
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
This one somehow seems an unfair comparison.......but

The Joker. That was one helluva performance. Still Vito (Brando/DeNiro) is the more Iconic Character overall IMHO

Girlystevedave
11-06-2009, 09:13 PM
If Joker loses this...I'll kill myself. :)

fernandito
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM

1. are we voting for the character or the performance? and yes, i know the latter informs the former

Both.

b. (more a comment than a question) don't forget deniro's performance as vito in part 2. that was something spectacular. i know it says "the godfather" but i believe that characters that are in more than one film are being considered for all of it, yes?

Touche - De Niro's performance as a young Vito was spot on... however, for me, there are very little performances that can match and/or surpass the raw power of Ledger's Joker. He is such a visual tour de force, such a force of nature, that you cannot take your eyes off of him everytime he's on the screen. I can understand that Ledger's performance , and maybe the actual character of the Joker didn't resonate as strongly with some as it did with others, but for me, personally, it is one of the finest performances of this decade.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I actually thought Nicholson was a better Joker.

fernandito
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM

You're not alone , I've read a lot of posts from users across different forums that feel the same way.

I respectfully disagree. Although Nicholson's turn as the Joker is memorable, you still get that Jack-With-Makeup vibe. Whereas in Ledger's interpretation, there isn't a single trace of the actor in the character, he completely loses himself in his portrayal of the Joker. Nicholson was good, but Heath was just something special.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I voted for the joker in this poll. And, I think Ledger did a fantastic job. I just think Jack was a perfect cast for the character.. I mean is it that the Joker looks like Jack with makeup or that Jack looks like the Joker without makeup?

I also like Tim Burton's film better, but I think that is outside the scope of this poll.

Melike
11-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Still an easy one for me :)
:couple:

If Joker loses this...I'll kill myself. :)
:couple:

You both are talking from my heart. How are you doing that?!
:D

Brice
11-07-2009, 05:53 AM
And here is where the joker loses it for me. Sorry Heath!

See you in the clearing Amanda. :couple:

Jean
11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
bears don't care either way

John Blaze
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM

The Performance and the character. We're not voting as the character Joker from the entire Batman universe versus the Godfather, we're voting Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight versus Marlon Brando AS Vito Corleone in The Godfather.

John Blaze
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM

You're not alone , I've read a lot of posts from users across different forums that feel the same way.

I respectfully disagree. Although Nicholson's turn as the Joker is memorable, you still get that Jack-With-Makeup vibe. Whereas in Ledger's interpretation, there isn't a single trace of the actor in the character, he completely loses himself in his portrayal of the Joker. Nicholson was good, but Heath was just something special.
agreed.

Odetta
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
why so seriousssss?

IWasSentWest
11-08-2009, 06:04 PM
i thought this was gonna be a run-a-way at first...gettin a little too close

Merlin1958
11-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Have you officially consulted the erstwhile ursine population on this matter?:P:P:P

Jean
11-08-2009, 11:50 PM

Have you officially consulted the erstwhile ursine population on this matter?:P:P:P
Yes.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

Merlin1958
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Go Bears!!!!! LOL

DoctorDodge
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Here's the thing: although the Godfather films are pretty darn good, and as fantastic as De Niro's performance as Vito Corleone is, i just feel so much more...compelled to watch TDK. A lot. I even have Batman Begins on dvd and i'd still prefer to just skip to TDK (which is very unusual for me to skip to a sequel!). It's mainly down to Heath Ledger's incredible and highly quotable performance as the Joker, so he definitely gets my vote!

Of course, if this was a poll over who's the greatest totally-psychopathic-and-yet-most-awesome-villain-of-all-time poll, well, trust me: even with Heath Ledger's Joker performance nominated you'd be getting a very, very different answer!

IWasSentWest
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
i remember seeing the very first trailer for TDK in theaters, and with it just showing a few clips, and no names or anything. i didn't even realize that the joker was being played by Ledger. i had no idea who the guy was.

John Blaze
11-10-2009, 12:06 AM
i remember seeing the very first trailer for TDK in theaters, and with it just showing a few clips, and no names or anything. i didn't even realize that the joker was being played by Ledger. i had no idea who the guy was. i remember I saw it and looked it up. I didn't know who it was, except to know he was awesome and I had to know who it was.

cozener
11-10-2009, 06:45 AM

I respectfully disagree. Although Nicholson's turn as the Joker is memorable, you still get that Jack-With-Makeup vibe. Whereas in Ledger's interpretation, there isn't a single trace of the actor in the character, he completely loses himself in his portrayal of the Joker. Nicholson was good, but Heath was just something special. I agree with this. It was pretty much just Jack in makeup. (although I've noticed that a lot of the older, established movie stars kinda fall into that trap...these guys just end up playing themselves in every role they're given) I liked his Joker but even back then I felt that he was a little old and out of shape for the part. When that movie came out I thought that Christian Slater would have been a better Joker. But Jack 20 years earlier? That would have ruled.

Michael Keaton is still my favorite Batman though.

Woofer
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
At least we avoided this bullet - without having to use bullet time, no less:

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/TheCuteWoofer/Miscellaneous/Keaunu_Reeves.jpg

IWasSentWest
11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
i didn't much like keaton as batman....val kilmer FTW!

Girlystevedave
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
And here is where the joker loses it for me. Sorry Heath!

See you in the clearing Amanda. :couple:

Judging by the numbers up there...it's not looking that way. :dance:

Brice
11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Just remember young lady I can still mess around with the person above you game. <_<

Do not try me. :P

fernandito
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey, Brice ... how about a magic trick?

:evil:

Brice
11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Go ahead....if you want me to throw a few hours of mayhem your way. :innocent:

fernandito
11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I just had some mayhem for breakfast, with a jalapeņo pepper on the side :cyclops:

Brice
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM
:lol: I'm waiting then.