PDA

View Full Version : Graff lore needed, please help!

Greencoat
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone, let me preface this post by saying I've never read any of the Dark Tower books (I know, I know!) but I'm looking for as much information as I can get based on the drink Graff. I've scoured the internet best I can, but can't find any answers. My purpose is this - I'm a homebrewer, and I've made a drink that uses apple juice as the main fermentable, but drinks like a black stout (Guinness.) I want to make a label for it, based off the books, so I can gift it to some friends for Christmas who HAVE read and love the books.

Any information would be appreciated. Who makes it, who serves it, descriptive passages, where it's served, who drinks it. Even character sketches of people involved (official or fan made.) Anything would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Greencoat
11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
No one? How 'bout this - if you can give me the most information you know, I'll send you a bottle of the graff (provided you can prove to me you're of legal drinking age.)

darkrose
11-05-2009, 04:57 AM
hi there! i have a suggestion...
you should name it after

BLACK 13
- it is basically a magical black crystal ball and one of the magical object that plays an important role in the series.. it is said that this object could send you~
TODASH
- it is The space between worlds. "Going todash" is a way of traveling to different worlds, although anyone in a todash state will be invisible to all in the world except for the vagrant dead, who temporarily exist in the Todash darkness until they find their way home...
-traveling todash is similar to the state of lucid dreaming. However, unlike lucid dreaming, both body and mind travel todash.

:) also if youre looking for out this word terms from the The Dark Tower books check out this glossary http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/glossary.html

pathoftheturtle
11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
That's a very nice thing you're trying to do.
Graff isn't really mentioned very much in the novels, but I'm sure that someone will post information if you're able to wait.
Simply printing "Graff" sounds swell to me, tho. If you're looking for an image, I'd suggest one of the towns pictured in Marvel's Dark Tower comic books, particulary the "End World Almanac." Or, you might use any nice photo of an old-fashioned generic Yankee town as a stand in. (Roland's world is partly reminiscent of Stephen King's own environs.)

darkrose
11-05-2009, 09:02 AM
or if you wanted it to sound bad ass here are the main antogonist in the series..
yu might be able to get an idea base from it..

THE MAN IN BLACK

The Man in Black, and a character with numerous aliases, including: the Ageless Stranger, the Walking Dude, Walter O'Dim, Marten Broadcloak, Richard Faninn, Rudin Filaro, Legion, and his given name, Walter Padick, son of Sam; he appears in many books of Stephen King, most notably in The Eyes of the Dragon and in The Stand, always as a nearly-demonic sorcerer. He is the Crimson King's chief agent, but secretly plots to rule the Tower himself. He is killed by Modred in the last book and is considered to be 'quasi mortal'.

THE CRIMSON KING

The ultimate in evil, this mysterious figure wishes to conquer the Dark Tower and raze it to the ground. Since this will destroy the entire universe, the Crimson King is naturally cast as the villain in The Dark Tower books. He is also known as Ram Aballah, and once ruled from his castle in End-World, but now is imprisoned on a balcony on the Dark Tower, which he had run to in a fit of madness that had taken him over. He believes that when the Tower falls, he will rule the Todash darkness that was once the multiverse. He is the one whom Walter/Flagg serves, whom the low men and taheen serve, and he has opposed Roland of Gilead from the beginning. The Crimson King is known by a number of names, including Los' the Red, Ram Aballah, The Aballah, The Kingfish, The Red King, The Lord of Spiders, and The Lord of Discordia. He also appears in Insomnia as a higher being trying to kill Patrick Danville as a child.

SHARDIK

Shardik, while appearing to be a massive bear, is actually a mechanical construct of North Central Positronics. A cyborg, Shardik was built by North Central Positronics to serve as one of the twelve Guardians of the Beams. At the time that he is encountered by Roland, he is several thousand years old and dying and infested with parasites (a reference to Richard Adams' Shardik). Driven insane by his illness, he attacks Roland and his ka-tet, and they are forced to kill him.

MIA

An invading spirit who possesses Susannah Dean's body in Wolves of the Calla. Originally an immortal spirit similar to a succubus, she saw and fell in love with a baby and longed to have one of her own (an unknown force kept her from coming too close to the child she loved and taking it for herself). Long after a plague ravaged the town of Fedic and the child was taken away, Mia struck a bargain with Walter/Flagg. If she would give up her formless immortality, Walter would give her a baby. Mia's purpose in Walter's and the Crimson King's plan is to bear Roland's child; prophecy has foretold that this child will be Roland's doom.

The Low Men (Can-toi, Fayen Folken)

First introduced in the story Hearts In Atlantis, these soldiers of the Crimson King are half-taheen and half human. Richard P. Sayre is a prominent Low Man in the Dark Tower Series. They appear in the novel Black House by King and Peter Straub, as well as a speculated appearance in From a Buick 8 by King.

Taheen

Taheen resemble humans with the heads and hands of animals. They are mostly considered the servants of the Crimson King. The Taheen, much in the same way as humans, have a choice in their destiny, thus they can be good or evil. Their exact origin, however, remains a mystery.

DANDELO

Dandelo is a psychic vampire who feeds on emotions. He makes an appearance in Book VII: The Dark Tower. Using the name of 'Joe Collins', he lures Roland and Susannah into his cottage on Odd Lane (the street that crosses Tower Road in the White Lands of Empathica, and an anagram of "Dandelo") and treats them to a feast. Afterward, he tells them that before entering All-World, he was a stand-up comedian. Roland asks to hear some of his act, during which Dandelo comes close to making Roland laugh to death. Susannah avoids entrapment because she is in the bathroom at the time, tending to a troublesome sore on her face. There she discovers a note apparently left by Stephen King himself (the note even acknowledges itself as a deus ex machina) that helps her puzzle out Joe's true identity. Before he can sap all of Roland's life force, Dandelo is killed by Susannah with two shots to the head.

Tick-Tock Man
The Tick-Tock Man (real name Andrew Quick) is the leader of the Grays of Lud.

He is the great-grandson of David Quick. His left eye was punctured by Oy during a fight, and Jake shot him in the leg, and then in the head with a .22 pistol. He was left for dead, but survived, the bullet having only grazed his skull and torn off a flap of skin. Randall Flagg rescues him and takes him to the Emerald Palace, where he attacks Roland's ka-tet, and is shot and killed by Eddie and Susannah. He seems to be a successor to the Trashcan Man from The Stand, as both were followers of Flagg who repeated the mantra "My life for you" in regard to their loyalty to him.

Mordred Deschain

Son of two fathers and two mothers, Mordred was born of Susannah's egg fertilized by the seed of both Roland of Gilead and the Crimson King, and carried to term by Mia. Mordred is half-human, half-spider, able to transform between the two, and if his fate is fulfilled, he will both kill Roland and topple the Dark Tower itself. He is both very powerful and extremely arrogant. His abilities include the ability to change between human form and spider form at will and absorbing a victim's knowledge and experience by devouring them. Neither the seers nor fate itself could protect Mordred from the death of magic in Mid-World as the Tower falters. Mordred becomes deathly ill after eating poisoned horse meat, and when he makes a final attempt to kill Roland, he is attacked by Oy. Oy is able to distract Mordred long enough to allow Roland to wake up and kill his son, at the threshold of the Dark Tower.

Greencoat
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I decided take the simple route and just name it graff. I found a great Photoshop from the fan art section of this site to use as the main design. I forget who made it, but it's fantastic. Again - thanks for the help! Darkrose, PM me if you'd like a bottle for your efforts :)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/Guscoat/Graff_.jpg

darkrose
11-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I decided take the simple route and just name it graff. I found a great Photoshop from the fan art section of this site to use as the main design. I forget who made it, but it's fantastic. Again - thanks for the help! Darkrose, PM me if you'd like a bottle for your efforts :)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/5/medium/Graff.jpg

thanks for the offer but i dont really drink.. just wanna help :)