PDA

View Full Version : Your SCARIEST Dark Tower experience *spoiler alert*

darkrose
10-29-2009, 01:03 AM
WAIT... IF YOU HAVENT READ THE WHOLE SERIES STOP FOR NOW!
COME BACK AFTER READING EVERYTHING... ENJOY :)
---------------------------------

HERE ARE SOME OF THE SCARIEST SCENARIO IN THE DARK TOWER SERIES, IMAGINE THAT YOU HAVE TO EXPERINCE IT YOURSELF, WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK, WOULD SCARE YOU THE MOST?!

-BEING NEAR A THINNY
Thinnies are places where the fabric of existence has almost completely worn away. These cancerous "sores on the skin of existence" have increased in number since the Dark Tower began to fall.

-BEING IN TODASH STATE
In Wolves of the Calla, we are told that traveling todash is similar to the state of lucid dreaming. However, unlike lucid dreaming, both body and mind travel todash.

-BEING INSIDE BLAINE THE MONO
Blaine the Mono, a psychotic artificial intelligence-controlled monorail locomotive in Stephen King's novels The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass.

-BEING IN A HAUNTED HOUSE ON DUTCH HILL
Jake is able to pass into Roland's world using a portal which exists in a haunted house on Dutch Hill in his place and time: the New York City of 1977. The portal ends in a 'speaking ring' in Roland's world

-RELIVING THE WHOLE DIXIE PIG EXPERIENCE
Pere Callahan, Jake Chambers and Oy entered the Dixie Pig in New York, and Callahan dies while Jake and Oy escape below. Mordred Deschain, son of Roland was born in Fedic, and Susannah escaped and wounded Mordred soon after the birth. Jake and Oy found Susannah on the far side of a portal/Door and escaped their pursuers.

-OTHERS, PLEASE SPECIFY ;P
for sure there's still a lot, but that's what i could think right now :)

mystima
10-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Jake being kidnapped in Lud. That had me worried when i first read the book. Thinking that Jake might get hurt or worse just had me going for a good while.

Jean
10-29-2009, 01:24 AM
I am not sure I found anything scary in the whole TDT, not in the sense Pet Sematary or some parts of It are scary.

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 04:39 AM
In Wizard & Glass I was pretty freaked when all hell broke loose at the end.

Sickrose
10-29-2009, 04:41 AM
I think out of the three; being in Blane the mono (I am just about to re-read that bit!)
there was just nothing you can as you hurtled towards what could have be death.

Where as with the others the todash state can be quite pleasant and the thinney you can just avoid. Although getting lost in the todash darkeness would be awful I reckon !!

I agree about It some parts of that really had me going and when Jake ws kidnapped that was pretty scary too!

cozener
10-29-2009, 05:02 AM
I thought the Dutch Hill scene was pretty scary.

darkrose
10-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Jake being kidnapped in Lud. That had me worried when i first read the book. Thinking that Jake might get hurt or worse just had me going for a good while.

oh yeah, i forgot about that, it got me super mega scared and worried!

darkrose
10-29-2009, 05:23 AM
I thought the Dutch Hill scene was pretty scary.

oh yeah thats pretty scary too, im gonna add that in the option...

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 05:30 AM
Yeah definitely Dutch Hill.

lisaki
10-29-2009, 06:43 AM
When Mia gave birth to Mordred... I 'd hate to be Susannah at that moment. Can you imagine the terror? And the pain... with that thing on your head messing with your mind? And watching an innocent beautiful baby turning into an awful creature?
The description of the Dixie Pig (insects, roasted babies etc) was also pretty scary.

darkrose
10-29-2009, 07:06 AM
When Mia gave birth to Mordred... I 'd hate to be Susannah at that moment. Can you imagine the terror? And the pain... with that thing on your head messing with your mind? And watching an innocent beautiful baby turning into an awful creature?
The description of the Dixie Pig (insects, roasted babies etc) was also pretty scary.

i think i have to add that too in the option..
thankee-sai :)

Sickrose
10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I read the Dutch Hill not that long ago and it was pretty scary Jake is one brave kid to go through that!

Sickrose
10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
What about that bit where they have to pass under the castle with the huge thing chasing Roland and Susannah?

lisaki
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
What about that bit where they have to pass under the castle with the huge thing chasing Roland and Susannah?
I'm not a huge fan of monsters like that and I found myself a bit bored. It was scary in another way. I was afraid that Oy would die there, trying to protect them, and go find Jake as he clearly wanted. For some reason I was sure we'd lose Oy, I don't know why.

Lola Deschain
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
i thought the worst bit was when jake dies and his chest is all mangled (i amjust re-reading this bit)

Myste
10-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Yep... Dutch Hill, Jake kidnapped in Lud, Blane, and the dark travel of Roland & Jake inside the mountains. You know what I mean, dontcha?

flaggwalkstheline
10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
When Jake is being pulled through the haunted house in DT3

also todash space scares me extra cause when I was a kid I got knocked unconscious in a soccer game and expierienced something eerily similar to todash darkness, many years before I read anything by sai king too

Jean
10-29-2009, 11:54 PM
interesting

I would call all of the above different names - like, being distressed, disturbed, shaken, alarmed, aggrieved, shocked, dismayed, appalled, aghast, - depending on the part people mention - but never scared.

lisaki
10-30-2009, 01:32 AM
I just remembered the only BAD experience I had while reading the DT series. Well It was past midnight and I went to bed with DT 7 to read the Joe Collins of Odd's Lane part.
Something was wrong with Joe in my mind from the first minute I "met" him. It wasn't something particulary scary about him but I was sure he had something to hide. I also suspected who he was. I was alone in the house, and I felt really something really strange, like Suzannah did, while they where joking and laughing. He even made Oy laugh.
When I was at the bathroom part I was shivering. Finished the chapter and went to sleep.
But nightmares kept waking me up. LOTS of nightmares.
Now, I know it wasn't scary, but this chapter was strange... odd... bizzare. Honestly, sometimes, something bizarre freaks me out even more than something that's meant to be scary, if you understand what Im trying to say.

Candice Dionysus
10-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Well, nothing scared me... I mean, it takes a lot to scare me. Movies and the Media have seriously desensitized me to a lot of things that other people find scary. Nothing in The Dark Tower scared me, nothing in IT scared me, nothing in Pet Sematary scared me, nothing in King's books really scare me. But when things are sad I cry, and when things are happy, I laugh, and when the characters are scared, well, I feel for them. Which is why I continue to read King's books. But I've just been so... Desensitized. I can watch horror movies and the worst I'll get is slightly startled. When I was thirteen years old I laughed my way through the Blair Witch project. When I was 8 I had read Pet Sematary, which is probably why. When I was four I was watching Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Which seems a more likely reason.

Anyhow, the closest I came to being really scared in The Dark Tower books was when Dandelo had Roland laughing his ass off to the point he couldn't breathe. I was kind of worried that he might kill Roland and then Susannah would have to reach the Tower on her own. It seemed to me like the kind of thing King would do, just because no one would really see it coming. And that had me biting my nails a bit. But, seeing as I haven't had a "nightmare" in over a decade, it musn't really have actually scared me. Just worried me, quite a bit.

Brice
10-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately I am fearless.

Jean
10-30-2009, 03:03 AM
I, on the contrary, am very easy to scare by verbal means, and lots of King books gave me real waking nightmares; not The Dark Tower, though.

cozener
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I would agree that DT isn't really "scary". But there were certainly some parts that were creepier than others and Dutch Hill definitely tops that list. Another thing was the way Roland described being inside Detta Walkers mind.

ola
10-30-2009, 10:46 PM
The last book has to be the creepiest/scariest. I'll second the other DT7 scenes mentioned (esp. Dandelo), but I also have to add the Tower itself: going up the stairs, seeing the memory-rooms...being there, I would be freaking out.

Jean
10-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I would agree that DT isn't really "scary". But there were certainly some parts that were creepier than others and Dutch Hill definitely tops that list.
I was too excited at that moment to feel whether it was creepy. So many powers were at work, with Eddie drawing that door and Detta holding the demon - and then Jake's endless journey across the city that had so exhausted me emotionally that I could only pray for them to do everything right, and to at last get reunited, and the anticipation of this reunion was so immense that it kinda supplanted all sensitivity to creepiness.

Another thing was the way Roland described being inside Detta Walkers mind.
This, yes...

Letti
10-30-2009, 11:39 PM
I am not sure I found anything scary in the whole TDT, not in the sense Pet Sematary or some parts of It are scary.

Exactly. I feel the same way. I was worried distressed surprised aching sad shocked but never scared.

darkrose
10-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I would agree that DT isn't really "scary". But there were certainly some parts that were creepier than others and Dutch Hill definitely tops that list.
I was too excited at that moment to feel whether it was creepy. So many powers were at work, with Eddie drawing that door and Detta holding the demon - and then Jake's endless journey across the city that had so exhausted me emotionally that I could only pray for them to do everything right, and to at last get reunited, and the anticipation of this reunion was so immense that it kinda supplanted all sensitivity to creepiness.

Another thing was the way Roland described being inside Detta Walkers mind.
This, yes...

thats what i like about this series, it made you feel all the possible feeling you can feel all at once and losing control of my emotions kinda freaks me out a bit that why i have to stop and reflect once in a while, but generally it was a cool experience!... :cool:

Brainslinger
11-01-2009, 02:12 PM
The idea of todash space was quite scary for me. The idea of travelling to another world in one's sleep is thrilling, but the idea of getting lost in between worlds along the way...

Oh, and Mordred changing into a spider. The whole scene with Mordred and Mia was freaky. A giant spider with a child's head on top? Just wrong. And then there was the 'french kiss' bit with Walter later.... yikes...

Wuducynn
11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I thought that highly descriptive, hard-core sex scene between Aaron Deepneau and Calvin Tower to be the most frightening in the whole series.

flaggwalkstheline
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I thought that highly descriptive, hard-core sex scene between Aaron Deepneau and Calvin Tower to be the most frightening in the whole series.

I seriously don't remember that!
it must be so scary that I blacked it out:P:panic:

Myste
11-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Sometimes denial is a beautiful thing!

Melike
11-03-2009, 05:48 AM

Exactly. I feel the same way. I was worried distressed surprised aching sad shocked but never scared.

That is what I have been thinking. Maybe I can define the scene that Mordred ate Flagg's-my dear Flagg's- eye, disturbing, because knowing that Flagg has gone out of the story was very sad.

Shadow4437
11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Any part where any character was near death. A non DT scary experience was after finishing both salem's lot and IT I heard knocking at my window both times.

sarah
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Roland and Jake going under the mountain. Complete darkness knowing you could be surrounded at any moment. *shiver*

krisagon
08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I got chills during Callahan's story of his years on the run from the low men....
The LOST PET posters just seemed so completely plausible as a way to secretly put a hit on someone.

Also the fake corporate setup when they catch Callahan got me too.

That segment of Calla really cemented Sombra/NCP/Crimson Kings Agents as not just regular bad guys, but ultra crafty and inventive evil baddies for me.

I wanted Roland to kill all of them so bad!!!!

krisagon
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Also, when Mrs Tassenbaum moves the magnet from her husband's company that says "we are POSITRONICS" :borg:

Jean
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
The LOST PET posters just seemed so completely plausible as a way to secretly put a hit on someone.
Right. I said earlier in this thread that I didn't find anything really scary about TDT; but I think I have to take it back. That was scary.

LovesSweetExile
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't say anything scared me, but what did give me actual nightmares (not joking) was a few moments in the first book, first of all, the entire book, in my opinion, was the most atmospheric surreal, despairing and down right creepy mind fuck out of the entire series.

First off, the desert, the devil grass, and Tull, truly a classic town that time forgot, it reminds me of the sort of community you would find in Resident Evil 4.

The basement, with the muttie spiders, they spiders made me itch in a few places.

The entire trip under the mountain, the slow mutants, and the thought of the abyss that jake fell into.