PDA

View Full Version : SK quotes and oneliners

biomieg
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi guys, I have a question on behalf of my girlfriend :) she's busy finishing her PhD in Bio-Process Engineering. Traditionally, PhD candidates at our university do not only need to defend their theses but they are also asked to hand in a short list of scientific and non-scientific propositions, which they should be able to defend as well. The idea is that you can show the opponents that you are proficient in scientific discourse and debating/argumentation in general. So whatever proposition you come up with, you should be able to convince your opponents of its validity.

Often, our PhD candidates use this opportunity for a bit of (comic) relief during the defence, and they are encouraged to include funny, weird, but also philosophical and literary propositions.

She asked me to ask you guys for a bunch of nice SK quotes/oneliners that she could use as propositions. Now, they don't have to be 'defendable' per se, part of the fun is in coming up with a story to back up your proposition, however far-fetched it may be. So whichever SK quotes or oneliners you happen to know, just throw them in here, okay?

Thanks a lot! :) :)

*edit #1* I think it's fun to have a thread with King quotes anyway, so...
*edit #2* For example, I used the proposition: 'Fiction is the truth inside the lie' for my own PhD defence.

Randall Flagg
10-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
French is the language that turns dirt into romance.
When asked, "How do you write?" I invariably answer, "one word at a time."
'How come you're not reading one of your own books?''--- ''I know how they all come out,''
Do you have to know somebody to get published? (Yes; in fact, it helps to grovel, toady and be willing to perform twisted acts of sexual depravity at a moment's notice, and in public if necessary.)
The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out.
I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged.

biomieg
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

I love this one. I remember when I first read The Body and read this, it grabbed me by the throat. So true!!

Randall Flagg
10-14-2009, 03:16 PM
*edit #2* For example, I used the proposition: 'Fiction is the truth inside the lie' for my own PhD defence.
How funny. I was going to use "lies are the truth inside the fiction" ©™ for my thesis, but never finished college. I did however copyright and trademark the statement and have made a few hundred thousand dollars on the royalties. :thumbsup: