PDA

View Full Version : X-Men and All X-Related Titles Comic Discussion

pathoftheturtle
10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I was thinking of making a small comment about an X-Men concept, so I searched this forum for the word X-Men and I got "Sorry, no matches." WTF? Search for Spider-Man and you get 20 threads! So, here's an X-Men discussion thread. I know there's lots of fans on this site, so I'm not too worried that it'll just die. I'm only amazed that there's not one already.

In truth, I'm not much of a super-hero reader any longer. But, when I was younger, I owned every single issue from X-Men # 1 to X-Men # 1. Like many, the Claremont/Byrne period was the salad days to me.

Please share any and all thoughts on any and all incarnations of Marvel's mutants, guys. I'll post some more myself before long. :)

John Blaze
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
the Apocalypse saga is my favorite.

Another favorite is anything with Psylocke in it. She was my first love.

flaggwalkstheline
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah I love the age of apocalypse

Sam
10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
The Age of Apocalypse happened right after I jumped off the mutant train. I left not long after the X'cutioner's Song ended.

Having said that, the Mutant Massacre is the best storyline in Xmen history for me with Dark Phoenix Saga coming a very close second.

Seymour_Glass
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
My fave X-Men of all time is Grant Morrison's New X-Men, closely followed by joss Whedon's Astonishing.

darkwolf
10-10-2009, 05:45 AM
The X-Men are probably the sole reason why I love to read now! Although I haven't followed any Marvel titles in a few years, I'll always hold the X-Men close to my heart. They started it all for me, my passion for comic books, and books in general. Also had one of the best shows ever!

turtlex
10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Great idea, path!

I am a big X-Men fan... Dark Phoenix is one of my all time favorite story arcs.

The current titles - I honestly hated X-Men Noir. I just thought it was horrible.

I read a lot of the single character arcs ( Rogue / Gambit ) and of course... Wolverine!

RUBE
10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
The Age of Apocalypse happened right after I jumped off the mutant train. I left not long after the X'cutioner's Song ended.

I also stopped reading comics before The Age of Apocalypse (during the Phalanx Covenant.) Before that I had a subscription to EVERY X-Men related title. It just got to be too much and I decided to focus on playing high school football instead. Sorry mutants.

turtlex
10-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Rube - AoA is an excellent arc and really, it's worth your time and money to grab the graphic novel which gathers all the issues. It's great writing and art.

Lily-sai
10-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Great idea, path!

I am a big X-Men fan... Dark Phoenix is one of my all time favorite story arcs.

The current titles - I honestly hated X-Men Noir. I just thought it was horrible.

I read a lot of the single character arcs ( Rogue / Gambit ) and of course... Wolverine!

*snikt!*

James Howlett. :wub:
I fell instantly in love with my favorite Canuck ever, when I was a just a wee girl. Remy is very, very close behind. :doublewub:

flaggwalkstheline
10-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm thinking of picking up the TPB of X-men forever whenever it comes out, im a big continuity nerd

pathoftheturtle
10-12-2009, 07:43 AM
...Another favorite is anything with Psylocke in it. She was my first love.:orely: Back when she was still British? :lol:

...the Mutant Massacre is the best storyline in Xmen history for me...:clap:

Pretty cool. :D
Did you like "The Fall of the Mutants"? :orely:

turtlex
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I spoke with Path and we decided to modify the title of this thread to include all X-Related comics.

So bring on all your X-Men, X-Man, X-Factor, GenX, Wolverine, etc comic discussions!

Sam
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
...Another favorite is anything with Psylocke in it. She was my first love.:orely: Back when she was still British? :lol:

I did, but it was the shock factor of the Mutant Massacre that made me love it so much. I think that's where I really began to like the character of Colossus. So many things happened during that story that STILL affect the X-titles today. Case in point, that is where Angel lost his wings and brought about the creation of Archangel/Death by Apocalypse.

Brainslinger
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Can I ask you guys something spoilerific? (Feel free to tag the answer if you like.)
(Please bear with me. I've messed a lot of X-men story arcs, although I like the premise and characters overall.)

I read a Beast one shot recently concerning following the aftermath of a massive cataclism where Scarlet Witch nullified the mutant gene. I didn't read the book in which it happens although I understand it was essentially a wish in a moment of weakness, "No more mutants."

Okay, my question is, was an in-world reason given as to why certain characters, including the main characters were exempted from her 'spell'?

Also, is the world still in that state? I actually think it's probably better if it is. It makes their abilities all the more special, especially as they share a universe with other empowered beings. The 'millions of mutants' scenario fits in the films where their universe seems separate to that of the other Marvel heroes (at least as far as we can tell.) It gets a bit silly in the comic world considering all the other superhumans about.

Thanks.

flaggwalkstheline
10-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Can I ask you guys something spoilerific? (Feel free to tag the answer if you like.)
(Please bear with me. I've messed a lot of X-men story arcs, although I like the premise and characters overall.)

I read a Beast one shot recently concerning following the aftermath of a massive cataclism where Scarlet Witch nullified the mutant gene. I didn't read the book in which it happens although I understand it was essentially a wish in a moment of weakness, "No more mutants."

Okay, my question is, was an in-world reason given as to why certain characters, including the main characters were exempted from her 'spell'?

Also, is the world still in that state? I actually think it's probably better if it is. It makes their abilities all the more special, especially as they share a universe with other empowered beings. The 'millions of mutants' scenario fits in the films where their universe seems separate to that of the other Marvel heroes (at least as far as we can tell.) It gets a bit silly in the comic world considering all the other superhumans about.

Thanks.
this'll clear things up for ya:thumbsup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_M
House Of M had a HUGE impact on the marvel universe, as big as civil war or secret invasion

darkwolf
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
House of M was the last arc I started reading, only got to the first trade, and then for some reason never got around to finishing it! It was pretty damn good though!

turtlex
10-13-2009, 03:51 AM
House of M was a good series, for sure.

Cool interview/info over at CBR (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23289) on the new X-title arcs.

pathoftheturtle
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM

I did, but it was the shock factor of the Mutant Massacre that made me love it so much. I think that's where I really began to like the character of Colossus. So many things happened during that story that STILL affect the X-titles today. Case in point, that is where Angel lost his wings and brought about the creation of Archangel/Death by Apocalypse.That's what I'm talking about, though. Colossus was incapacitated in the Massacre and didn't appear again until the Fall. (And don't forget about Storm!)
In X-Factor, "Fall of the Mutants" was where that "creation" by Apocalypse actually occured. The "coming out" of that team was also a major point. Necessary and rather memorable. Mutants getting popular? :o
True, the main event of the latter crossover, the sacrifice of the X-Men, is laughably insignificant in hindsight.
But I was just asking if you enjoyed the story. The event in the New Mutants part of it had a lasting impact, too, naturally. I was really not even trying to say which crossover was better.
"Shock factor" makes sense, although what I myself liked most about "Mutant Massacre" was the organization. Back in those days, continuity had a real meaning. (Anyone read the old "Mephisto vs. ..." 4issue mini-series? Way cool.) I actually happened to be subscribed to every Marvel title during the time the Massacre came out, and I totally dug that... Thor's role in it, and the way that tied his own series, the fight with Sabretooth in "Daredevil," and some other such points. It was neat. :)
Cool interview/info over at CBR (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23289) on the new X-title arcs.Wow, that's truly helpful. :) Thanks.
It's really just the most current stuff I'm clueless on. 1 or 2 years back now.
Like I said, for much longer than that I haven't been the same serious collector that I was, but I've picked up some. Read "The Age of Apocalypse," sure, and I have the Blink limited, and many Exiles issues... and most Xtreme X-Men. And Magik. And stuff...
House of M...only got to the first trade, and then for some reason never got around to finishing it! ...Ditto. *nods* Same here.

I had a lot of the New X-Men issues, but I ended up giving them to my nephews. It was okay, I guess.http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/cwazywabbit_06/smiley%20comei/shrug.gif

turtlex
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
One of my best friends calls X-Factor the PR Firm of the X-Men. Gotta love her for that.

Sam
10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Path, I know what you mean about the organization of the story. It flowed very well.

What I meant about Colossus was that it was during the Massacre that he began showing just what lengths he would go to to protect his friends. Previously, all that I ever saw of him was a super strong, near invulnerable man who rarely did anything more than stand around, hold heavy things like boulders, and throw Wolverine every now and then. His actual character began to show itself during the Massacre and was in full bloom when he was attacked by Riptide. I've liked him ever since that issue.

flaggwalkstheline
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Path, I know what you mean about the organization of the story. It flowed very well.

What I meant about Colossus was that it was during the Massacre that he began showing just what lengths he would go to to protect his friends. Previously, all that I ever saw of him was a super strong, near invulnerable man who rarely did anything more than stand around, hold heavy things like boulders, and throw Wolverine every now and then. His actual character began to show itself during the Massacre and was in full bloom when he was attacked by Riptide. I've liked him ever since that issue.

I really like haunted-crazy version colossus from the age of apocalypse...

I don't appreciate marvel ressurecting him after his death when he cured the legacy virus! I feel if a character is dead they should stay dead and if they dont it pollutes continuity -who am I kidding marvel doesnt actually have continuity by now, stupid sliding timescale:pullhair:

Sam
10-14-2009, 05:11 AM
I agree with you completely dude. Resurecting Colossus just seemed to trivialize his sacrifice in the Legacy Virus storyline.

turtlex
10-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Okay... here's the problem with characters staying dead...

... dark phoenix saga.

'nuff said.

flaggwalkstheline
10-14-2009, 05:59 AM
well yeah but thats jean and she's different when it comes to stayin dead, she's the exception
though oddly enough she's stayed dead for a long time now since the end of grant morrison's run when she's the one character who has a viable way to be ressurected!:nope:

Seymour_Glass
10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Yup.

turtlex
10-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Yup.

SG - It's these deep and layered conversations that make me feel so close to you. :D

:couple:

turtlex
10-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Anyone reading X-Men: Legacy? Looks pretty interesting. I love when they bring back mythology and incorporate history.

Cool interview here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23387) regarding the changes happening with Rogue.

Seymour_Glass
10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Yup.

SG - It's these deep and layered conversations that make me feel so close to you. :D

:couple:

I lurve you.

Also, I'm tossing a discussion grenade by saying that Scott and Emma together is so much more interesting than Scott and Jean.

turtlex
10-23-2009, 03:04 AM
I like Emma and frankly she doesn't get enough "screen time" in the comics, so I don't totally disagree there.

I do love Jean and Scott. I do. They're my favorite Marvel couple.

So, why do you think Scott and Emma is more interesting?

flaggwalkstheline
10-23-2009, 06:59 AM
I think scott and emma are much more interesting because emma is a much more morally ambiguous person than jean, jean is either the good girl or VERY bad when she turns into phoenix, while these two sides to her make her very goo for drama, emma operates much more in shades of grey (pun not intended) which makes her a more interesting match for the morally upright mr summers, with jean it either like "Oh i'm in love with jean la la la" or "Oh no jean wants to kill me EEEE" but witness emmas involvement in the utopia storyline to understand how she operates on a different moral level than most people, actually as far as that she bears a resemblance to charles xavier, hmm perhaps scott has latent feelings for the bald wonder:scared::clap:

turtlex
10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
"shades of grey" - WIN !!!

Excellent point about Emma though. She kind of keeps you wondering: motives, scruples, etc. And yes, Scott is nothing but true-blue hero material so it does make for some good questions. :thumbsup:

turtlex
11-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Peter David talks X-Factor (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23573)

turtlex
11-12-2009, 03:42 AM
I picked up the Iceman one-shot this weekend and frankly... meh.

Woofer
11-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I just do not think of the comic when I see the title for this thread. Actually, I do think of it, but I think of an X-rated version.

turtlex
11-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Woofer - if you can find an x-rated X-Men comic... let me know !! Specifically if we're talking Jean Grey or Rogue. :lol:

( not counting any slash fiction out there... sorry :P )

Brice
11-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Hides his x-rated Jean Grey and Rogue comics. :ninja:

turtlex
11-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Hides his x-rated Jean Grey and Rogue comics. :ninja:

That's just mean ! :P

Brice
11-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Well, it's not like I really have any.:ninja:

or even like they really exist. :ninja::ninja:

*mails Pam copies*

Here's the basic plot:
Well, fuck who gives a damn about the plot? :innocent:

Sam
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I have an X-Men related item up for sale in the Comic Tower Classifieds. Straight from Bowen, Wolverine Unmasked
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Wolverine_Unmasked.jpg

If you're interested follow this link. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8550)