PDA

View Full Version : BMCOAT - TIE BREAKER! Round 2, Group A

fernandito
09-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Sarah Connor ( Terminator 2 )
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/sarahconnor.jpg

Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare On Elm Street)
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/freddykrueger.jpg

sarajean
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
all you know how to create is death...

cozener
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Voted for Sarah...not because I think she's so great but because I think Freddie is so bad.

pathoftheturtle
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Yar. There are great characters who are monsters and villians, but he's just overblown.

Odetta
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
How's the knee?

fernandito
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Shut up, shut up, shut up! It's all your fault! MF'r its all your fault!

Woofer
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
That's absolutely why I voted: to help keep Freddy out. While there are some excellent characters from horror movies which could be considered for the BMCOAT, I don't think that Freddy is one of them.

Sam
09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. Much like Halloween and Friday the 13th were different from other "horror" films, so was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they're slasher flicks... now. Then, they started that movement in films, and have been imitated in both other films AND in their own sequels/remakes. Fred Krueger was a spooky dude who was very different from the "regular" slasher villain. The "regular" slasher was pretty much a Michael Myers clone (see Jason Vorhees, the original Friday the 13th was the only one to have a really original villain in that series). Freddy was witty, scary, and more lively. Not only that, but he got you in a place where you couldn't run, your dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah is a better character. I'm just saying that Freddy absolutely belongs in this poll.

Melike
09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I voted for Freddy.

Woofer
09-30-2009, 04:13 AM
I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. Much like Halloween and Friday the 13th were different from other "horror" films, so was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they're slasher flicks... now. Then, they started that movement in films, and have been imitated in both other films AND in their own sequels/remakes. Fred Krueger was a spooky dude who was very different from the "regular" slasher villain. The "regular" slasher was pretty much a Michael Myers clone (see Jason Vorhees, the original Friday the 13th was the only one to have a really original villain in that series). Freddy was witty, scary, and more lively. Not only that, but he got you in a place where you couldn't run, your dreams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah is a better character. I'm just saying that Freddy absolutely belongs in this poll.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The concept of a dream stalker is cool and innovative: yes; the character of Freddy Kruger himself: no, he's just another serial killer.

Freddy was not unique, but Craven placed him in dreams and since dreams are rarely logical, that gave Craven (and all the franchise directors after him) a lot of room to have really crazy shit happen. Once you (I guess I should say "Once I") separate that concept from the character, he's just another slasher stalking teenagers.

BTW: :grouphug:

IWasSentWest
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
voted sarah. freddy, though unique, has had his character humilitated by so many films done in such cheesy ways. but like sam said, when this movie, the FIRST MOVIE came out, that shit was supposedly scary as hell.

no fate but what we make - sarah

Sam
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree completely Woofer. He IS just another serial killer. Unlike Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees though, it actually makes some sense (in the movie world anyway) of how he keeps coming back. He's. A. Dream. Not some psycho zombie like Jason, not some crazy guy with super strength and invulnerability like Michael, a dream. He was, for me anyway, a horror character that made some sense when it came to sequel time. Easy to resurrect and explain. Just my thoughts though.

pathoftheturtle
09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I think Freddy Krueger is an EXCELLENT choice for BMCOAT. What you have to remember is that the first film was fundamentally different from what had been seen before. ...Norman Bates got only 2 votes in Round 1. <_<

Not just a nightmare, Freddy is the spirit of a dead madman with the power to profoundly affect the real world. For him to always return clearly shows that there is something very wrong with the universe. :orely:

candy
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
voted sarah. freddy, though unique, has had his character humilitated by so many films done in such cheesy ways. but like sam said, when this movie, the FIRST MOVIE came out, that shit was supposedly scary as hell.

no fate but what we make - sarah

agreed. i was of the age group targeted by the first film and i can tell you it scared me witless for months!!! it was the dream aspect as opposed to the freddy character but it was also the whole bag. this was a monster preying on kids in their sleep!!!!! then it all went tits up in the sequels which is the biggest shame in the whole film world because freddy became a laughing stock. to me, i still can't bring myself to watch the first one knowing how it scared me so much (and the sad thing is if i watched it now as an adult it would just not have the same effect)

after saying all that - i voted sarah, the character was a much more defined character for me. and she was well hard:wtf:

Woofer
09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, it's all a matter of perspective and preference. I'm not really a slasher/serial killer fan anyway. It's probably my least favorite subgenre of horror.

Still, I was only 21 when this came out and I remember finding it hysterical. The jet of blood when Johnny Depp got sucked into the bed had me roaring with laughter.

On the other hand, my then-best friend was terrified. It was the same when we went to see F13 (the original) and Jaws and Halloween and so on.

Then again, when I worked at both university libraries, I used to eat dinner and leaf through the forensics books in fascination. I considered criminology, specifically forensic photography and crime scene reconstruction. However, I was just about to graduate and didn't want to put any extra burden on my parents (who were still helping with college costs, bless them).

I like monsters. Big, scary monsters. Like the Thing in The Thing, the Blob, the alien from Alien, the creature from Relic, the weresheep from Black Sheep, werewolves (you guys had no idea I liked werewolves, eh?), Gojia/Godzilla, Gamera, the monster from The Host, those things in Pitch Black, Rawhead Rex (from Barker's book, not the movie), and so on.

NOTE: I also saw the original TCM in the theater on its second theatrical run.

Man, I love horror.

ETA: In honor of all you Freddy fans, I'm featuring the first three A Nightmare on Elm Street movies on my YT page this weekend.
:grouphug:

sarah
10-02-2009, 06:42 AM
the girl can handle a gun. she gets my vote just for that.

fernandito
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Sarah Connor advances to the next round!

LadyHitchhiker
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Finally someone I voted for is advancing!!!!!

Girlystevedave
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Aren't most horror movie villains just serial killers? :unsure:
I like Freddy cause he brought humor into the horror movie world. Just my opinion.
[no arguments needed] :)