PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Tribute - 3D Art Video (wip thread)

Dryn
09-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello there!

I am have recently embarked on a personal project to create a video tribute to the Dark Tower, which will showcase my new 3D work. Since reading the Dark Tower a few months back, I have been filled with a new passion for reading (I never had this before) and inspired on so many levels that I just felt compelled to create my next artwork based around it.

For some weeks now I have been having these visions of a short movie that I want to put together of still images of characters from the Dark Tower put to some powerful music. I am thinking either Johnny Cash - Hurt, or Gary Jules - Mad World.

My intention for this is not only to create the highest quality 3D characters that I can produce, but to create something that will do justice to my own feelings towards the story and hopefully, to some of the fans too.

Anyway, for the first part of the my vision, I want to look at creating Roland in his younger years, drawing a litlte on inspirations from some of the marvel comic book art. My first vision is of him with guns drawn with a cold calm Roland gaze in the aftermath of what his talented hands have just performed split seconds earlier.

Other visions I have are of then transitioning from this to Roland at a much older age (as we know him in the book) - perhaps approaching the Tower itself, in the rose field. I am undecided as to the third part of the video, which might be a scene with the crimson king, or perhaps eddie dean. We will see.

I am hoping to post my work as I go, and look forward to hearing ideas and comments from the fans here. Normally I would post this type of thing on a game art website - but I felt it was more important to get feedback from people who love the novel instead.

Now, please understand that this is just at a concept stage of 3D sculpting, as I am trying finding a good gesture to the character and a suitable design, but hey, here you go - here is roland deschain at a young age so far:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Dryn87/thescheme.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Dryn87/testjeans.jpg

I've spent maybe about a days work on him so far (about 8 hours or so total, perhaps maybe that is 8 out of 200 or even 300 hours of what's to come)

Everything is just a blockin atm - so anything and everything could change - especially the hair for exmaple. But atm I am focussing on what style of jeans and boots I will go with, which is a hard choice, but atm I'm swaying towards the traditional jeans down, lean and straight over the boots.

Hope you guys will like what I am doing, and looking forward to hearing anything back as I continue to post stuff! It's always motivating when people contribute

Daghain
09-26-2009, 02:03 PM
That's amazing! Welcome to the site! Can't wait to see how it progresses. :thumbsup:

gsvec
09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Very nice, Dryn - can't wait to see more!

and what a kickass bod Roland seems to have!

Lily-sai
09-26-2009, 02:51 PM
That's flippin' awesome! I like the lower left Roland best - his trousers look more natural in it.

Dryn
09-27-2009, 07:20 AM
thanks guys!

yeah totally agree Lily-sai. I'm gathering jeans reference and heading for that more natural design. I think it helps give him that more slender feel too.

Letti
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Dryn, we cannot wait to see the next step.

mia/susannah
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I love your Roland, I can't wait to see more!!!!! Very good work!!!

Dryn
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
been quite busy doing other things lately, but I had a chance to work a bit more and come up with a quick design plan for how I might continue

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/Dryn87/rolandwip.jpg

i can't quite decide if he needs something to go around his neck. I've got a skull around there atm, something of a tribute to cuthbert, but perhaps that is just confusing? Maybe some mark of gilead would be fitting. Any ideas?

say thankya for the support :)

Daghain
10-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Nice! Maybe a bandana on the neck?

ola
10-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, a bandana and/or maybe the cross necklace. Amazing work by the way! :cowboy:

Lily-sai
10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
*sigh*
It makes me so happy - seeing Roland become more and more "real".
The silver cross necklace would be great!

Letti
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
*sigh*
It makes me so happy - seeing Roland become more and more "real".
The silver cross necklace would be great!

And some missing fingers.

Mark
10-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Man, this is some nice work! Can't wait to see the end result!

boehmke
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I do have to agree that the quality of work here is really nice. The anatomy is spot on.

The only issue I have with it is that he is way too bulky and beefy to be Roland. Roland was much more lean. Especially if this is a version of Roland after the Lobstrosities took his fingers. He was deathly ill and impossibly thin at that point. To the point of being much more unhealthy and haggard looking. He could still have muscle definition just a lot less mass.

Considering all of this I would put more age into his face as well. He looks too youthful to be the 'Drawing of the Three' Roland. He looks more like one of the hairless boy wolves in the New Moon trailer then a weathered hard as nails man that's lived a rough life.

But your modeling skills are undeniably top notch (that sounded Britishy). Keep working at it!

Daghain
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
And WHEN are we going to see something new from you, boehmke? *taps foot*

You still owe me a print, man. :D (Yeah, you were slightly less drunk than I was, LOL).

Good points, though. :D

Dryn
10-11-2009, 11:17 PM
:) thanks for the comments guys, I like the idea of the bandana and the cross, I will get around to experimenting with them

this is a younger roland, I havn't quite decided when his time is set, but I think not all that long after mejis, so he is intentionally younger and still has all his fingers. i hear what you say about the muscle, i'll definitely consider leaning him up a touch

thanks!