PDA

View Full Version : The road to the 2009-2010 Oscars!!

fernandito
09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
We have a few more months left to go in the year, but I'm sure most of you already have your picks as to which actor/movie should win which award. If the year ended right now, which movie would you nominate for best picture ? Best actor? Best actress? Best director?

Discuss! :D

turtlex
09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Feev - :wub:

Okay, without a doubt Meryl Streep is going to get nominated for Julie and Julia.

Also, a big buzz is building for Hilary Swank in Amelia.

Unless something big happens, those seem to be the big two for Best Actress. In general, the Academy tends to lean towards drama rather than comedy... which might give the odds to Swank. Though, a win would be her third for Best Actress... and that's approaching Katharine Hepburn. ( Streep has one Best - Sophie's Choice and one Best Supporting - Kramer Vs Kramer ).

fernandito
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin Hosting Oscars
The two comedic actors will team for the next Academy Awards.
by Eric Goldman

November 3, 2009 - Recent reports said that Hugh Jackman had declined an offer to host the Oscars again, after his well received stint this year. However, a new host has been found – or hosts, actually, as it turns out Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will serve as co-hosts of the 82nd Academy Awards.

"I am happy to co-host the Oscars with my enemy Alec Baldwin," said Martin.

"I don't play the banjo but I'm thrilled to be hosting the Oscars – it's the opportunity of a lifetime," said Baldwin.

For Martin, this is familiar territory – he hosted the 73rd and 75th Academy Awards. Martin and Baldwin -- besides both having hosted Saturday Night Live a huge amount of time -- will be seen together soon in the comedy It's Complicated.

The 82nd Annual Academy Awards will be seen Sunday, March 7, 2010 on ABC.

Seymour_Glass
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
The Hurt Lockers seems kinda buzzing.

I really hope Hilary Swank isn't nominated for Amelia, just because of my complete lack of interest in the film and in her as an actress.

Sam
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
So far this year, I haven't seen anything that was great besides Julie & Julia. That film was really good and genuinely surprised me too. Generally I hate Meryl Streep, but I really enjoyed her performance in this film.

ola
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I thought Niel Patrick Harris was going to host? Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin will do a great job though, they seem like much more classic hosts than say Jon Stewart or Jackman.

There were a lot of movies that excited me personally this year, but not many that would realistically receive Oscars. More 'genre' stuff like District 9, Watchmen, Harry Potter, and Moon. (Moon might win some Baftas though, since it's already won a few other awards in the UK)

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok, out of the 103 movies I've seen at the theater so far this year, here are my favorites:
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, TERMINATOR SALVATION, MY SISTER'S KEEPER, THE HURT LOCKER, DISTRICT 9, JULIE AND JULIA, THE TIME TRAVELLER'S WIFE, 9, THE INVENTION OF LYING, LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.
I was bored by AMELIA, although I wanted to like it.
There were other movies I loved, but they will in no way be Oscar nominees (I don't think!), such as FAST AND FURIOUS, THE COLLECTOR, STAR TREK, OBSERVE AND REPORT, etc.
Meryl Streep deserves a best actress nomination.
The guy from District 9 deserves a best actor nomination (sorry I don't know his name)
Eric Bana for The Time Traveller's Wife for best actor nomination
9 for best animated movie (AND best movie, I really liked this one!)
The Invention of Lying should be nominated for best picture.
The big guns will probably be released around Christmas time so the list is subject to change without notice!
Anyway, that's my two cents worth (which is probably one cent more then it IS worth!)
And, there were a LOT of stinkers this year. It would be interesting to start a thread on the worst pieces of, uhm, junk released this year (so far!)

Sam
11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I had forgotten about District 9. It was by far the best Science Fiction film that I saw this year, but still not Oscar worthy in my opinion. Then again, many of the films that ARE nominated aren't Oscar worthy to me so maybe the critics don't know what they're talking about. They should just ask me.:cool:

ola
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
The big guns will probably be released around Christmas time so the list is subject to change without notice!

Yeah. The Road will have a big Oscar chance, for one.

The last movie I really liked that won major Oscars was No Country for Old Men...another Cormac McCarthy adaptation. That one was a magical combination of perfect director/author/casting. Viggo can obviously pull off an intense acting performance, and John Hillcoat seems pretty cool, although I haven't seen anything by him yet! I've got my fingers crossed.

ola
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Then again, many of the films that ARE nominated aren't Oscar worthy to me so maybe the critics don't know what they're talking about. They should just ask me.:cool:

They probably should. I don't think I'm the only one that can't relate to most Oscar choices! :nope:

Seymour_Glass
11-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Yep.... Forrest fuckin' Gump..... In the year of Shawshank and Pulp FIction. Fuck those guys.

turtlex
11-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Okay. I have to say this, someone mentioned it above but - if Fast and Furious gets nominated for an Oscar... I'm sending Brice to Hollywood with a large weapon.

Martin and Baldwin hosting should be fun to watch. I'm not sure three hours of one of them would be ... but making it both of them, that should mix it up and be fun. They'll be hard pressed to beat out Jackman though - who was outstanding this past Feb.

Hurt Locker could get a nom, especially with fourteen thousand Best Picture Nominees now ... but I haven't read much recent press on it, and frankly - that's what it takes usually. It's still early days, but it very much could happen. I'd love to see a nom for Bigelow.

Sam, buddy, you're on the money with Julie and Julia. Without a doubt Meryl will get a nod... and will likely be the odds on favorite to win. I have some favorite Meryl movies, but frankly she's never impressed me as much as the Academy loves her.

I'd be surprised to see Eric Bana's name for Time Traveller's Wife in the noms list, but you never know. That film got some awful reviews and he did as well.

Melike
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Okay. I have to say this, someone mentioned it above but - if Fast and Furious gets nominated for an Oscar... I'm sending Brice to Hollywood with a large weapon.

Martin and Baldwin hosting should be fun to watch. I'm not sure three hours of one of them would be ... but making it both of them, that should mix it up and be fun. They'll be hard pressed to beat out Jackman though - who was outstanding this past Feb.

Hurt Locker could get a nom, especially with fourteen thousand Best Picture Nominees now ... but I haven't read much recent press on it, and frankly - that's what it takes usually. It's still early days, but it very much could happen. I'd love to see a nom for Bigelow.

Sam, buddy, you're on the money with Julie and Julia. Without a doubt Meryl will get a nod... and will likely be the odds on favorite to win. I have some favorite Meryl movies, but frankly she's never impressed me as much as the Academy loves her.

I'd be surprised to see Eric Bana's name for Time Traveller's Wife in the noms list, but you never know. That film got some awful reviews and he did as well.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I've opened this page to write some of my opinions about the thread. :rofl: Now I don't remember what I wanted to write.

Heather19
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
What about Inglourious Basterds? Do you guys think this one has a shot at best picture nominee? It's definitely at the top of my list for new films that I've seen so far this year. And Christoph Waltz surely deserves a nomination as well.

My problem with the Oscars, is that the Academy definitely has their favorites. And regardless of what film those actors are in they'll get nominated.

flaggwalkstheline
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I think that district nine should win all sorts of shiny things:clap:

turtlex
11-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Oh, Heather, without a doubt Inglourious Basterds will have a Best Picture nomination. I think probably best director and screenplay as well. This might actually be the year that the Academy says "hello" to Tarantino.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Just a minor technical point, but shouldn't it be "THE ROAD TO THE 2009 OSCARS"?
As for Inglourious Basterds (did I misspell that correctly?) it was one of only three Tarantino films I did not like, the others being the second half of DEATH PROOF and JACKIE BROWN. I do not want to see IB nominated for anything except maybe cinematography as it was very nice to look at.

IWasSentWest
11-05-2009, 06:38 AM
brad pitt for best actor...i dont care what anyone says, his character in inglorious bastards what fucking perfect

best picture - avatar looks good, and has a good chance. i havent seen it but i'm sure it will be good. so will daybreakers. but for movies i've seen, i nominate inglorious bastards, watchmen, and x-men. the first will probably be the only one considered, but still

fernandito
11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure whether or not IB will receive a Best Picture nod, but I'm %110 convinced that Christoph Waltz needs to win the trophy for Best Supporting Actor !

turtlex
11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Feev - There are like 10 best pic nominees now. How could IG not get nominated?!? I'd be surprised if it's not.

I wouldn't be surprised with a Pitt best actor nod, nor with Waltz getting a nom. I've read nothing but great things. Waltz, I think, is a safe bet. Pitt likely, but not for sure.

fernandito
11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh, that's right! We have like a bazillion (slight exaggeration) nominees now! In that case, yes, IB will be nominated :)

Anybody think that Wikus (sp?) from District 9 might get a Leading Actor nod?

IWasSentWest
11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
waltz's performance was out of this world. i'd vote for him in just about any category (even best actress) if i could.

Heather19
11-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda worried Inglourious Basterds won't get a best picture nomination for some reason. There's still a lot of movies to be released. Let's keep our fingers crossed though because I surely hope it does.

And I'd really like to see Tarantino get a best directing nomination as well.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Bradd Pitt is one of the best actors around, and I thought Benjamin Button was the best picture last year, not Slumdog Millionaire, but I thought his acting in IB was over the top and too hammed up. I liked him much better in TROY and especially 12 MONKEYS. I forgot about Waltz though (I've seen too many movies). I'm sure he'll get a nod from the Academy members after they watch the movie on DVD since most of them don't seem to have the time to go to the theaters to see the movies. (That's supposed to be funny)

jayson
11-05-2009, 11:44 AM
if christoph waltz does not win the best supporting actor award, the oscars are a bigger joke than i already think they are. i have not seen a better performance in at least 20 years, probably more. that was quite simply, the most engaging and believable performance i have seen out of anyone, possibly ever.

as for whether or not basterds itself will win best picture, it won't. it may get a nomination because the academy does seem to like QT, but they won't let it win best picture. they may give him best original screenplay as a consolation prize like they did with pulp fiction when they gave the best pic to that piece of tripe forest gump. i am sure some schmaltzy piece of crap will win out over what was the best picture i have seen in a long time.

truth is, IB deserves a lot of awards. it may not win any of them.

fernandito
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
truth is, IB deserves a lot of awards. it may not win any of them.

Reminds me of a similiar situation last year ... with a certain ...cape-crusading movie ...

Heather19
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Jayson, that's pretty much my feelings as well. I think it deserves many awards, but I highly doubt it'll win any with the exception of Waltz. I even have doubts that it'll get nominations. Like I said before the Academy definitely has their favorites, and they don't like to stray from them.

And expanding on what Feev just mentioned, it's very hard for a film that's of a different genre to get a nomination. For example, action, horror, scifi, etc. Those types of films regardless of how good they are will not even be considered.

IWasSentWest
11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
i liked forrest gump. crap it was not

fernandito
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I like Forrest Gump too , but against Shawshank Redemption? Pulp Fiction? Come onnnnnn!

IWasSentWest
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
love that playstation commercial

turtlex
11-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I admit that I'm with jayson on the Forrest Gump thing. I found it over-long and frankly ... very indulgent. It was like someone gave Zemeckis a new toy and he couldn't stop using it ( ie - putting Forrest in historical situations ). In the grand scheme of things... as far as best picture winners go, I don't think it even compares nor will it be much beyond a pop-culture hit. IMO.

Brice
11-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Pam: I'll be awaiting my ticket to
hollywood. :lol:

jayson
11-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I admit that I'm with jayson on the Forrest Gump thing. I found it over-long and frankly ... very indulgent. It was like someone gave Zemeckis a new toy and he couldn't stop using it ( ie - putting Forrest in historical situations ). In the grand scheme of things... as far as best picture winners go, I don't think it even compares nor will it be much beyond a pop-culture hit. IMO.

exactly, pam

i believe the formula was:

1 part historical settings gimmick
1 part stereotypical nostalgic music
1 part heavy-handed schmaltzy emotional scenes

for the record, i think the placing the character in historical settings gimmick worked significantly better for woody allen with zelig, but then again, we're talking about woody allen versus robert zemeckis.

Seymour_Glass
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
That whole Forrest Gump scandal is why I'm generally cynical and disgruntled when it comes to institutions.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
If it was up to me (and probably a good thing it isn't) I would nominate these for best picture (so far), in no particular order:

1. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE
2. TERMINATOR SALVATION
3. MY SISTER'S KEEPER
4. THE HURT LOCKER
5. DISTRICT 9
6. JULIE AND JULIA
7. THE TIME TRAVELLER'S WIFE
8. 9
9. THE INVENTION OF LYING
and 10. OBSERVE AND REPORT just because I got a kick out of it!

turtlex
11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Even with the million open noms for Best Picture ... It'd still be a long shot for Terminator and Wolverine! :lol:

fernandito
11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm a huge Terminator fan , but there is no way TS even deserves to be nominated.

Still Servant
11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
That whole Forrest Gump scandal is why I'm generally cynical and disgruntled when it comes to institutions.

The biggest example of how I lost faith in the Oscars is when Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for best picture.

That should never have happened.

Entertainment Weekly even went back and had the people who voted back then vote again 10 years later and Saving Private Ryan won in a landslide.

Most people are now of the opinion that Shakespeare in Love does not hold up over time like Saving Private Ryan.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I know Terminator and Wolverine don't have much of a chance, but I still loved them!
Here are my nominations for worst pieces of crud in 2009 (so far).

1. LAST CHANCE HARVEY
2. PAUL BLART MALL COP*
3. MISS MARCH*
4. CRANK HIGH VOLTAGE******!
5. THE SOLOIST
6. LAND OF THE LOST*
7. THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123
8. YEAR ONE******!
9. TRANSFORMERS REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
10. EASY VIRTUE
11. AWAY WE GO
12. GI JOE RISE OF THE COBRA
13. THE GOODS LIVE HARD SELL HARD*******!
14. GAMER*******!
15. TAKING WOODSTOCK
16. ALL ABOUT STEVE*
17. THE INFORMANT
18. PANDORUM
19. COUPLE'S RETREAT
20. THE FOURTH KIND

The ones with asterisks are godawful, words do not exist to explain how disgusting the ones with multiple asterisks are, the others are just bad or terribly dissapointing. Feel free to disagree!

fernandito
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
It looks like Up In The Air is a serious candidate for a Best Picture nod, as well as Precious and The Hurt Locker.

It's almost a certainty that UP will win Best Animated Feature.

There hasn't been too much noise in the Best Actor and Best Actress departments, and I am eager to see if Christoph Waltz will go home with the gold with his portrayal of a brilliant SS Officer in Inglourious Basterds.

Heather19
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
There hasn't been too much noise in the Best Actor and Best Actress departments, and I am eager to see if Christoph Waltz will go home with the gold with his portrayal of a brilliant SS Officer in Inglourious Basterds.

I'm pretty sure he will. Do you know who else he could be up against?
And what about Inglourious Basterds for best picture? Is that just wishful thinking on my part. I doubt it'll win, but that'd be my pick.

turtlex
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
With 10 Best Picture Nominations this year ... just about everything is going to be up for Best Picture.

From what I've been reading, I think Waltz is a lock for a nomination ... but so far, seems like a Clooney year for Best Actor. We'll see, of course.

Heather19
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
There's going to be 10 this year? Is that just for best picture or some of the other categories too?

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-29-2009, 06:43 AM
What do you think of Sandra Bullock being nominated for best actress in BLIND SIDE? She made two really bad movies (THE PROPOSAL and ALL ABOUT STEVE), then comes back with this very good film. 1 out of 3 is better then nothing.

turtlex
12-29-2009, 07:45 AM
There's going to be 10 this year? Is that just for best picture or some of the other categories too?

Heather - It's new this year. 10 nominations for Best Picture. Only BP though, all other categories will be the usual 5. ( thank goodness - I think it's utterly stupid to expand the Best Picture category )

What do you think of Sandra Bullock being nominated for best actress in BLIND SIDE? She made two really bad movies (THE PROPOSAL and ALL ABOUT STEVE), then comes back with this very good film. 1 out of 3 is better then nothing.

I think she's got a shot at a nomination, but no chance in hell of winning.

Here's the deal with Bullock - she's charming and lovable but not a heck of a great actress. Blind Side is NOT her Erin Brockovich moment.

Brice
12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Meh! I'd say with ten slots for best picture it totally devalues a nomination, imo. Five is plenty.

fernandito
12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Pam - didn't the voting system change as well ? From what I've gathered, the films will now be judged based on a 10 point system, as opposed to receiving 1 vote per person.

Brice
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Actually I believe theyre using the eenie meeny miney moe method.

Heather19
12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Why was it changed to 10? That makes no sense to me. I would have preferred they had just kept it at 5. Now there are movies that'll probably get a nomination that don't really deserve one.

turtlex
12-31-2009, 07:42 AM
For me, 10 best picture nominations is just rediculous. I can't see any real reason for it, except that it can be used for an advertising tool. Yup, it's all about the money.

Frankly, 10 nominations means more "popular" films might make the cut ... so if you see Twilight nominated - don't blame me!! :P

AMPAS has been noting a drop in audience year by year and this is just them trying to get more people to watch. Get a younger audience to tune in.

Patrick - Yes, the voting has changed and it's a point system, at least for Best Picture. Voters will rank the nominations and points will be applied.

Not so thrilled with that either, but I'm a purist and a bit of a movie snob myself.

Heather19
12-31-2009, 07:56 AM
hmmm, I wonder how that will affect the outcome of the best picture winner.
You know I used to watch it all the time but the past few years I've only caught bits and pieces. It just hasn't interested me that much.

It seems like there's a lot more smaller films that get nominations that aren't even widely released, or are released right before the awards so most of the public doesn't get a chance to see them before the show. This has always bugged me. I wish they would release them earlier throughout the year. I think that may be what's playing a bigger part in the decline of the audience. Also I know I've said this in the past, but I really think that the academy has their favorites. And those always seem to get nominated regardless of the film their in. I'd like to see more variably in those nominated.

turtlex
12-31-2009, 08:03 AM
I live for the Oscars. It's my Super Bowl, as I usually explain it. I love that night. I truly live for the real glamour of Hollywood ( yea, and I don't mean when some 18 year old from the WB shows up in clothes from the Gap ) ... I love the clothes and the Awards and the speeches and the gossip - you know, yes, it is a big deal who gets seated in the first three rows!! :D

I think the extra films in the Best Picture category will detract from the whole award. It will give all the films something to brag about where a nomination is concerned, but the award ... I just think it will take some of the BIG DEAL away from the win.

I am a huge Indie Film person, so I love that the Academy picks smaller and quieter films that will eventually get a wider release. That applies to tall categories for me. Just a nomination tends to push films into wider release, and sometimes - into a pre awards DVD release which is just as good.

Without a doubt the Academy has it's favorites - it is just a group of people, after all. People have their favorites, without question.

Brice
01-01-2010, 07:29 AM
I think they should reduce the number of nominations. Three would be good, two would be better.

fernandito
01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Patrick Feev - Yes, the voting has changed and it's a point system, at least for Best Picture. Voters will rank the nominations and points will be applied.

;)

Not too thrilled about that new system being implemented, but let's see how it works out.

I live for the Oscars. It's my Super Bowl, as I usually explain it. I love that night.

Same here. I love the Oscars , it's right up there with The World Cup and The Super Bowl for me :lol:. Me and my brother are huge movie buffs, so we always end up having a little get together that night which consists of pizza and Jack & Cokes, it's awesome :)

Seymour_Glass
01-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Dude, I can't wait for the Oscars, even though I rarely agree with who wins Best Picture.

turtlex
01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
We should try and maybe plan an online gathering for Oscar Night! Could be fun.

Heather19
01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
We should try and maybe plan an online gathering for Oscar Night! Could be fun.

Oh we should, that'd be fun.

Brice
01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
The only new movie I can think of highly enough for this is Inglourious Basterds.

Seymour_Glass
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Prediction: Avatar will be nominated for Best Picture, but it won't win, partially because nobody wants to deal with what would happen to James Cameron's ego.

ola
01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Prediction: Avatar will be nominated for Best Picture, but it won't win, partially because nobody wants to deal with what would happen to James Cameron's ego.

Today I looked at the the cover for Titanic and recalled with horror that it won 11 OSCARS. Insanity.

turtlex
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM

Today I looked at the the cover for Titanic and recalled with horror that it won 11 OSCARS. Insanity.

I predict that we will one day look back on that event much like we do Dances With Wolves.

:rolleyes:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Wow, I loved Dances with Wolves.

turtlex
01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
I liked it too... but it never should have won against Goodfellas !!

Titanic? The Best Picture? Honestly, don't get me started on that movie.

Sam
01-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I actually have found Dances With Wolves to be a MUCH better film than Goodfellas. Personally, I dislike the story of Goodfellas, but I'm talking about the film. I felt, and still feel, that DWW had more to offer in the story, the filming, and the message than Goodfellas did. Then again, I haven't seen a Scorsese film besides Cape Fear that I enjoyed either, so maybe it has more to do with not liking his filming style than anything else. Even the movies I didn't KNOW were Scorsese, like Bringing Out The Dead and The Color of Money, were pretty much unwatchable for me.

turtlex
01-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I think we could do a long, long discussion on Dances With Wolves versus Goodfellas, Sam. Without a doubt. In this thread though - I'll just leave it with, I disagree with you, but did enjoy the ( way overlong ) extended version of DDW better than the theatrical release.

And back on topic !! :D Another vote for Hurt Locker !!

Group in NYC picks 'Hurt Locker' as best 2009 film

NEW YORK – The National Society of Film Critics on Sunday selected "The Hurt Locker," a film about an elite Army bomb squad unit that works in Iraq to defuse improvised explosives while under the threat of insurgents, as the best picture of 2009.

The society, composed of film critics from some of the country's top publications, also bestowed honors on the movie's director, Kathryn Bigelow, and lead actor, Jeremy Renner.

The society picked Yolande Moreau as best actress for her performance in "Seraphine," a French film about the painter Seraphine de Senlis.

Joel and Ethan Coen won best screenplay for "A Serious Man," a dark comedy set in 1967, while "The Beaches of Agnes 40," an autobiographical documentary about the life of director Agnes Varda, was selected as the best nonfiction film.

"Summer Hours," a story of three siblings by French filmmaker Olivier Assayas, won for best foreign language film.

Mo'Nique, the Baltimore-born comedian best known for her roles in television sitcoms and as the host of her own talk show, was selected as best supporting actress for her portrayal of an abusive mother in "Precious."

Austrian Christoph Waltz won for best supporting actor for his work as the Jew Hunter in "Inglourious Basterds," a Quentin Tarantino war film starring Brad Pitt as the leader of a group of soldiers trying to kill Adolf Hitler.

Forty-six of the society's 64 members voted during Sunday's meeting at a midtown Manhattan restaurant.

The society, founded in 1966, has a reputation for picking foreign films or critics' darlings. Rarely do the group's selections mirror those given out during the Academy Awards, but its members are highly esteemed by filmmakers and film critics.

The Academy Awards are set for March 7.

fernandito
01-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Austrian Christoph Waltz won for best supporting actor for his work as the Jew Hunter in "Inglourious Basterds," a Quentin Tarantino war film starring Brad Pitt as the leader of a group of soldiers trying to kill Adolf Hitler.

:thumbsup:

ola
01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm sad that Sony seems to not care about Moon (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/30/sony-not-supporting-moon-for-oscars-duncan-jones-tweets-his-displeasure/) getting nommed. :pullhair:

I don't think it should win Best Picture, but it should definitely get some mainstream recognition. Duncan Jones did a beautiful job and I want to see more films from him in the future, without having to hunt down the 1 tiny arthouse theater that's showing the movie!

turtlex
01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm sad that Sony seems to not care about Moon (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/30/sony-not-supporting-moon-for-oscars-duncan-jones-tweets-his-displeasure/) getting nommed. :pullhair:

I don't think it should win Best Picture, but it should definitely get some mainstream recognition. Duncan Jones did a beautiful job and I want to see more films from him in the future, without having to hunt down the 1 tiny arthouse theater that's showing the movie!

That's what they have the People's Choice Awards for.

Seymour_Glass
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I actually have found Dances With Wolves to be a MUCH better film than Goodfellas. Personally, I dislike the story of Goodfellas, but I'm talking about the film. I felt, and still feel, that DWW had more to offer in the story, the filming, and the message than Goodfellas did. Then again, I haven't seen a Scorsese film besides Cape Fear that I enjoyed either, so maybe it has more to do with not liking his filming style than anything else. Even the movies I didn't KNOW were Scorsese, like Bringing Out The Dead and The Color of Money, were pretty much unwatchable for me.

I will never understand. I must accept that.

But Titanic is just inexcusable.

ola
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM

That's what they have the People's Choice Awards for.

Yeah, what movies like Twilight are for. :P

ola
01-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Do the Producers Guild Nominations Foretell Oscar Bids for SciFi? (http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/2010/01/scifi-pga-nominations.php) Star Trek?? Interesting.

(Here is the complete list chosen by the Producers Guild of America, as nominations for Best Picture)

* District 9
* An Education
* The Hurt Locker
* Inglourious Basterds
* Invictus
* Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
* Star Trek
* Up
* Up in the Air

turtlex
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
ola - Thanks for the list!

It's very interesting, I think, that the Guild decided to go with 10 nominations so as to mimic the Academy!

turtlex
01-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Streep and Clooney win NY Film Critics Awards! Bigelow wins Best Director! Waltz Best Supporting !!

New York – It was a busy year for George Clooney, but one that is starting to pay off in the form of official accolades, as awards season for the films of 2009 gets underway.

Clooney took home best actor honors for "Up in the Air" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" on Monday, Jan. 11, at the 2009 New York Film Critics Circle Awards.

Sporting a bushy salt-and-pepper beard, Clooney arrived with Italian TV host girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis.

"Up in the Air" stars Clooney as a man whose job it is to constantly fly around the country and fire people as he racks up the frequent flier miles, aiming to eventually collect one million.

Wes Anderson, Clooney's director in "Fantastic Mr. Fox," took home the award for best animated film.

Meryl Streep also had a busy year - she lent her voice to "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and starred in "It's Complicated" and "Julie & Julia" - won best actress for her role as legendary chef Julia Childs in "Julie & Julia." The film tells the parallel stories of Julia Childs' rise to fame in the sixties and Julie Powell, a contemporary blogger who achieves notoriety by cooking every recipe in Julia Childs' cookbook, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

Kathryn Bigelow, who directed Iraq war film "The Hurt Locker," which won best picture, also won the award for best director.

Best supporting actor honors went to Christoph Waltz for "Inglourious Basterds," and Mo'Nique won best supporting actress for her role as an abusive mother in "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire."

The Film Critics Circle Awards, founded in 1935, have often signaled actors and films that will later go on to win Academy Awards. The group of film critics, which used to only include writers from New York's daily newspapers, now includes critics from national magazines, as well as a handful of West Coast journalists.

fernandito
01-18-2010, 07:14 AM
No Golden Globes discussions ? :cyclops:

Heather19
01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
I've been waiting for you to get in here :D
And you didn't answer my question about Best Picture?

fernandito
01-18-2010, 09:12 AM
And I was waiting for you to get in here ! :lol:

Best Picture - Avatar is a more than deserving winner. I wanted either Inglourious Basterds or Avatar to win it, as I feel they are both exceptional movies and both were masterfully crafted by their respective directors and creators. Avatar is a landmark in film history, and I'm glad that both the film and Cameron are getting the recognition they deserve.

Christoph Waltz. Nuff said :D

I liked The Hangover, but the award should have gone to either 500 Days of Summer or Nine, for my money.

I haven't seen Crazy Heart, but I heard that Jeff Bridges' performance in that is phenomenal. Also, isn't it odd that Jeff Bridges won an award for a best leading role, and yet he also co-starred in what is widely considered to be the worst movie of 2009 - The Men Who Stare at Goats ? :lol:

Also - Sherlock Holmes is a comedy ? Since when ? :lol:

Heather19
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm glad Christoph Waltz won :)
I still haven't seen Avatar so I can't really comment on it, but of course I'm disappointed Inglourious Basterds didn't win. Also I really thought QT had a chance at winning Best Screenplay, but it went to Up in the Air instead. However, I guess I'm the only one who's not a big fan of that film.
I was surprised by The Hangover winning, and also Robert Downey Jr. especially considering all the mediocre reviews about that film.

And Feev, The White Ribbon won! Is it playing anywhere near you yet? I highly doubt it'll come out by me. I'll probably have to wait till the dvd comes out to see this one, which is a shame because I'm dying to see it.

turtlex
01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Here's my deal with the GG's ... it's kind of a joke, really. It's like the opinion of only 80 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press. 80.

Where as the Academy Awards - it's more like 2000+ people.

I'm sticking with Hurt Locker and probably Up In The Air as best picture on Oscar night ... provided they get nominated! :lol: However, with 10 chances, I think both will make the initial cut.

Oh, and I love Jeff Bridges, for sure... but every time I see the previews or trailers for Crazy Heart ... I always think... Gee, I loved that movie the first time I saw it - when it was Tender Mercies starring Robert Duvall. :lol:

I love award season!

ola
01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
That list is crazy. The Hangover? I guess I didn't realize that major difference between the Golden Globes and Oscars until now (with the number of votes and critics). Interesting!

turtlex
01-19-2010, 05:44 AM
ola - It's funny really.

There used to be this "thought" in Hollywood that if you gifted enough people, and made enough friends, you could practically buy yourself a Golden Globe.

I first heard of this with regards to Pia Zadora ( don't be surprised if you don't know who she is ) ... from Wikipedia : She won that year's Golden Globe Award as "Best New Star of the Year", amid charges that her husband had bought the award with a promotional campaign.

Sharon Stone was also "accused" of something something similar several years ago, where she bought very expensive watches for each member of the HFP. :rolleyes:

Heather19
01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I first heard of this with regards to Pia Zadora ( don't be surprised if you don't know who she is ) ... from Wikipedia : She won that year's Golden Globe Award as "Best New Star of the Year", amid charges that her husband had bought the award with a promotional campaign.

Sharon Stone was also "accused" of something something similar several years ago, where she bought very expensive watches for each member of the HFP. :rolleyes:

Wow, I hadn't heard that. That's just ridiculous. They shouldn't be allowed to do stuff like that.

Still Servant
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, I've been avoiding this thread for long enough. September was just too early to talk Oscars.

First, let me add my 2 cents to the Golden Globes discussion. I learned 3 things after watching the show:

1 - Avatar is turning into a beast that must now be taken seriously for winning best picture. I always thought it would get nominated, but never thought it would win. I'm now wondering about that. The film has turned into a phenomenon.

2 - I think Oscar night might be kind of boring in the acting categories. Christoph Waltz is a heavy favorite for best supporting. Mo'nique is clearly a favorite as well as Jeff bridges. The one question might be best actress. I do believe Sandra Bullock has a real change of winning it.

3 - Ricky Gervais is too funny. The Golden Globes must find a way to use the host more. I know they are used to never having a host, but that should change. I thought he did a great job.

I will leave you know with the 10 films I think will get nominated for best picture. It's still weird to say 10.

Inglorious Basterds
Up
Up In the Air
The Hurt Locker
Precious
An Education
A Simple Man
Invictus
District 9

I might be missing one, but I think I covered them all. I'm interested to see your 10.

fernandito
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
That's a solid list, Mike ... I think that might be my list as well.

turtlex
01-20-2010, 03:42 AM
SS - I love your list, as well. Well done. I love that you included A Simple Man. Bravo. District 9 is the long shot for a nom, but I'd love to see it included. I also think, yeah, I think Star Trek has a chance at a nom. Not a win, but a nom.

I think you might be selling Clooney short on Best Actor, though. Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Bridges and would love to see him win, but Clooney is in there for the fight, I think.

Personally, I just cannot see Avatar winning Best Picture. Nominated, sure - I mean there are 10 freakin' nominations, so yeah it will get nominated, but I will be very surprised to see it win.

And well, Twilight is a phenom, too, but that won't get nominated. :P

I think the fun category this year is going to be Best Actress... Meryl up against Sandy and whomever else. I can see Meryl winning before Sandra Bullock though. I just don't see this being Sandra Bullock's Erin Brockovich year.

I can't wait for the nomination to be announced ... and dude!! It's never to early to talk about the Oscars! :lol:

Brice
01-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds
Inglorious Basterds

I wonder which will win. :unsure:

I am sure there will be honorable mentions for inglorious basterds too.

Heather19
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
:lol:
:huglove:

I don't think there's any chance Star Trek will get a nomination. I'd even be surprised to see District 9 get one, but with 10 nominations it might have a chance. And I was thinking Avatar might actually win Best Picture now, but maybe you're right Pam. I just hope it doesn't go to Up in the Air.

Still Servant
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys. I doubt I will get all 10 right, but it should be close I think.

I really do think District 9 should be nominated. It's one of the better reviewed films of the year and it also did well at the box office. I honestly can't think of 10 films that are better than District 9.

I can't wait until the noms come out. I can start making my predictions. My whole family makes their picks and then we put down like 10 bucks. Whomever has the most right wins. My sister has won in recent years.

She's better at guessing.:rolleyes:

Heather19
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I really think District 9 should get nominated. But to me it just doesn't seem like a film the academy would nominate. Hopefully I'm wrong.

We should start our own little Oscar predition competition here. It'd be fun.

Melike
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Actually there is only one movie I especially want to see nominated there: District 9.

turtlex
01-21-2010, 03:37 AM
SS - Hey, get your sister a membership and have her post !! :lol:

turtlex
01-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Oscar Nomination Predictions from Dave Karger/Entertainment Weekly :

Best Picture
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Invictus
Precious
A Serious Man
Star Trek
Up
Up in the Air

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, Invictus
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Mo’Nique, Precious
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Samantha Morton, The Messenger

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Best Original Screenplay
Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, A Serious Man
Pete Docter & Bob Peterson, Up
Scott Neustatder & Michael H. Weber, (500) Days of Summer
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Best Adapted Screenplay
Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Neill Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell, District 9
Geoffrey Fletcher, Precious
Nick Hornby, An Education
Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air

I think he's got some great picks here. Of all of them --- if the Best Director category shakes out like he predicts, that'll be a GREAT category to watch!!

Still Servant
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Did anybody watch the SAG awards? It was pretty much the same old stuff. Waltz, Bridges, Mo'Nique and Bullock all won awards.

I think Sandra Bullock will now be the favorite to win the Oscar. The other three categories are all but sure things.

Best picture should be interesting. I don't think there is a real favorite.

turtlex
01-25-2010, 03:49 AM
SS - Yup, watched some of the SAGs and then checked the winners online.

I think you might be right about Bullock ( thought I don't agree she should win ) ... I may be eating my words about that win, if it happens.

turtlex
02-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Kathryn Bigelow tops directors with 'Hurt Locker'
By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES – Kathryn Bigelow and "The Hurt Locker" became official awards-season front-runners Saturday after Bigelow won the top prize from the Directors Guild of America.

The 58-year-old filmmaker is the first woman to win the guild's top honor, which positions her and the film as shoo-ins for the Academy Awards. The DGA boasts that its winner has gone on to win the directing Oscar all but six times since 1948, and more often than not, the film that wins the directing Oscar goes on to win best picture.

"This is the most incredible moment of my life," Bigelow said backstage. She downplayed her gender, saying, "I suppose I like to think of myself as a filmmaker."

Still, she was the only nominated director who earned accolades for her physique as well as her filmmaking. Bigelow was up against Quentin Tarantino for "Inglourious Basterds," Jason Reitman for "Up in the Air," Lee Daniels for "Precious" and her ex-husband James Cameron for "Avatar."

"Hurt Locker" star Jeremy Renner called Bigelow "a warrior, my champion and the most fortunate actor's director."

Tarantino praised her as "queen of directors." He said his fellow nominees have been spending so much time together, they have become "like a superstar rock band and we're going to go on tour together."

Clutching a shiny medallion as a souvenir of his DGA nomination, Tarantino said, "I don't give a (expletive) who wins, I am so happy to have this."

Daniels said the nominated directors, who have seen each other regularly throughout Hollywood's awards season, are "like a support group" for one another.

"We have each other's backs," he said.

He told Bigelow, "You are bold. You are brave. You are gutsy."

Reitman told the winning director that he grew up watching her films.

"You are more than a great director, you are one of the greats," he said. "I'm in awe of you, too."

Cameron praised his competitors as "truly excellent and brilliant filmmakers."

Bigelow said just being nominated for the Directors Guild honor is "kind of the pinnacle for the already wild ride 'The Hurt Locker' has put me on."

The four-hour affair at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza hotel drew a spate of celebrities, including Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, Jodie Foster, Jon Cryer, Cheryl Hines and Jason Bateman. All but Jolie served as presenters during Saturday's ceremony.

Carl Reiner hosted the event recognizing achievements in directing, as he has for 22 years.

"Modern Family" won the top honor for television comedy for its pilot, directed by Jason Winer.

"I want to thank the DGA for validating the Napoleon complex I've had ever since I was a smaller boy," the diminutive director said.

The drama prize went to "Mad Men" and director Lesli Linka Glatter. Ross Katz was honored for the HBO movie "Taking Chance." Louie Psihoyos' film "The Cove" won the documentary award.

"The film plays like a prequel to 'Avatar,' only it's real and set in the present," Psihoyos said.

Cher presented Norman Jewison with the guild's Lifetime Achievement Award for his career in film.

"The studio heads maybe have all the power, but we've got the glory," he said. "And when you receive the lifetime achievement award like this, it makes you very nervous, like maybe you're going to fall off the perch or something."

The 83-year-old filmmaker accepted the award surrounded by his family, including his four grandchildren.

Cher said she would have gone to the moon to present Jewison with the honor.

"He has changed my life," said Cher, who starred in "Moonstruck," Jewison's 1987 hit. "I love him so much."

Roger Goodman was presented the guild's lifetime achievement award in news direction. Disney chief Robert Iger and Warner Bros. chief Barry Meyer were granted honorary life memberships in the guild.

Among other guild winners:

• Reality programming: Craig Borders, "Hong Kong Bridge."

• Children's programs: Allison Liddi-Brown, "Princess Protection Program."

• Daytime serials: Christopher Goutman, "As the World Turns: Once Upon a Time."

• Commercials: Tom Kuntz.

Among Hollywood's many honors leading up to the Academy Awards, the Directors Guild prizes have one of the best track records for predicting eventual Oscar winners.

Academy Award nominations will be announced Tuesday.

fernandito
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Bigelow deserved that win, The Hurt Locker is amazing. :thumbsup:

Still Servant
02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Has anybody seen any of her other films? The only one I've seen is Point Break.

Seymour_Glass
02-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I just don't want James Cameron to win any big awards because a) there are plenty of films out this year superior to Avatar, and b) he's making more money than god, and I think that can be its own reward.

God, I want Up in the Air to win stuff.

Heather19
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

The only one I've seen is Near Dark.
And I think I'm going to have to go to Blockbusters or something and search out The Hurt Locker. Netflix doesn't want to send it to me. :(

Still Servant
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM

The only one I've seen is Near Dark.
And I think I'm going to have to go to Blockbusters or something and search out The Hurt Locker. Netflix doesn't want to send it to me. :(

Blockbuster is becoming harder and harder to find around here.

Do you have any Redboxes near you? They are usually found at Stop & Shop.

You can search for a location near you here:

http://www.redbox.com/Locations/LocationSearch.aspx

Heather19
02-02-2010, 03:17 AM
We have 1 blockbuster still in town, that seems to be doing good. But that's the only video rental place that I can think of. And I think I've seen a redbox somewhere around here. Maybe I'll try that.

turtlex
02-02-2010, 03:24 AM

I've seen all of them, and honestly - with the exception of Near Dark and Strange Days ( both of which I loved ) - they were only okay. She tends to have "moments" in her movies which are great, but the movies themselves, not always.

The night surfing scene in Point Break is lots of fun to watch, as is the big police arresting the surfers in the house scene. Both excellently blocked and filmed... the rest of the movie... :meh:.

Blue Steel was a joke, but Jamie Lee Curtis sure looked great as a cop.

Oscar Noms in 2 hours !!!!

Hannah
02-02-2010, 08:14 AM
So, I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've only seen 3 of the nominees.

Best Picture
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Sam
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Which 3? I've seen District 9, The Blind Side, and Up. I think I went to see one film since my wife restarted chemo, and that was The Blind Side

This from a guy who used to watch at least 1 new film per week (and watched about ten old ones in that same week). That was before life interferred with my movie watching activities though.

Hannah
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I've seen District 9 (liked it), The Blind Side (okay, but not oscar material, imo), and Inglourious Basterds (loved it). I've heard Up was fantastic though. My brother took my daughter to see it when it came to theaters and said he cried, which made me think it must be good because my baby brother hasn't cried since I made him eat cat food when he was six. ha.

Seriously though, I've heard avatar was amazing (visually), and that up in the air was great as well. I haven't really heard anything on the others.

Sam
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Up truly was a wonderful film, if just a little on the silly side at times (it's a movie for kids, whadya expect). It did make me cry, though I'm not the best of testers these days. I seem to tear up at even the sappiest of scenes (and it's starting to piss me off). As for The Blind Side, I thought it was a really wonderful film, but I'm surprised to see it up for Best Picture. Bullock deserves the nomination for Best Actress and is my pic for the winner, but as much as I enjoyed the film I'm not sure it's Best Picture material. Of course many of the films that have been nominated and even won weren't Best Picture material, imo.

Poor choices that won in the last 20 years:
Slumdog Millionare
Crash
The Departed
Million Dollar Baby
Titanic (Cameron must have sold someone's soul for that, cause he had the nation snowed with this one)
Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
Forrest Gump (that should have gone to Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption you bastards.)

fernandito
02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I've seen half of the movies on the BP list - Avatar, District 9, Inglourious Basterds, UP, and The Hurt Locker. I want to see Up In The Air before the Oscars as that seems to be one of the stronger contenders this year.

Honestly, I feel that Avatar deserves it's BP nomination. With the exception of a few wooden characters, I feel that what it set out to do , it did exceptionally well. A great story, an excellent art direction, gorgeous visuals, memorable central characters ... what more do you want ?

turtlex
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Sam - I agree with some of your list, but certainly not all - Crash and Million Dollar Baby were both excellent.

No big surprises at all in the noms today. ( except me not being able to load the live feed on CNN to watch real-time :pullhair: )

My biggest surprise was Matt Damon for Best Supporting. I know he doesn't have a chance to win, but was still surprised to see the nomination.

Feev - I know you loved Avatar, but you're the first person I've heard call it an excellent story. Of all the reviews I've read, the story itself is usually the exception when talking about how great it is.

Sam
02-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Regarding Avatar, I haven't seen it yet (though I wanted to, but illness has prevented it) but like Pam, nothing I've heard besides Feev's statement has been about the story itself. My mom told me I HAD to see this movie in theaters because the scenery was so awesome, and the effects were really great, and the way the creatures looked. I was like, but was the story any good?

turtlex
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I was just checking Rotten Tomatoes and Avatar is doing great - however, when you look at the rottens... most every one points out the weak storytelling.

A couple funnier ones quoted here :

"Cameron's technical wizardry far outstrips his narrative capability" - The Independent

"It's baggy, longwinded and, for all the light-speed imagery, just not quick on its feet. Cameron used to be the tautest film-maker around, but he just got slack." - The Gaurdian UK

"The corniest movie ever made about the white man's need to lose his identity and assuage racial, political, sexual and historical guilt." - New York Press

"And for the epic battle at the end, well let me just say it's as believable as the Ewoks beating the Empire at the end of Return of the Jedi." - KPBS.org

"The demand for awe starts to grind the film down after the introductory, new-car-smell period, soon left with only one-dimensional characters making predictable choices while the backgrounds flashdance to stave off dramatic inertia." - BryanOrndorf

"Yes, the wonderful CGI effects and sophisticated editing rhythms in these moments represent all that's good about contemporary blockbuster cinema. But the film is compromised by a rather juvenile story exposition. A pity." - MovieTime/ABC Radio

and my favorite : :lol:

"Alternates between a slurry of Franz Marc expressionism and the most elaborate Thundercats episode ever made" - CinePassion

Hannah
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Aaron saw it a couple of weekends ago and said the story was pretty good and he wasn't sure why it isn't getting good reviews for the story. I usually trust Aaron's opinion, and Feev's a good judge as well so I'm going to have to say that everyone else is wrong. :lol:

turtlex
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
My whole thing is ... how can you NOT want to see a movie called the "most elaborate Thundercats episode ever made" ?!?!? :lol:

Seymour_Glass
02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
That is a great quote. I really hope Avatar doesn't win. I mean, it seems like such a technical exercise. I would love to see that technology put to use in a story that isn't so cliched and that has a protagonist not made of wood.

I'm throwing my inconsiderable weight behind Up in the Air. It was such a great film. See that.

Although i did love Basterds, and i do really want to see A Serious Man.

Heather19
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm not really surprised by any of the nominations. I know it has no chance, nor do I think it should win, but I am glad to see that District 9 got nominated.

Out of the ones nominated I've only seen half of them (Inglourious Basterds, Avatar, District 9, Up, Up in the Air). I still have to see The Hurt Locker before the awards though. Who does everyone think it's going to go to?

turtlex
02-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Best Picture?

My money is on Up In The Air or Hurt Locker.

Sam
02-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I am very disturbed and disappointed that District 9 didn't get a nod for Makeup. How the hell does funcking Star Trek get nominated for Makeup and District 9 doesn't?

fernandito
02-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Who does everyone think it's going to go to?

The Hurt Locker.

turtlex
02-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Oh Feev.... from your words to the Academy's voting !!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Melike
02-03-2010, 06:22 AM
I am really enthusiastic about the ''Best Foreign Language Film'' category. Though I haven't seen any of them yet, I have read enough about them to think at least three of them will be favorite to me.

fernandito
02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I am really enthusiastic about the ''Best Foreign Language Film'' category. Though I haven't seen any of them yet, I have read enough about them to think at least three of them will be favorite to me.

Especially The White Ribbon ... I am dying to see that film. I've heard so many great things about it from both fans and critics alike.

Odetta
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Why so many Best Picture nominations?
So there can be 10 showtune numbers during the Awards ceremony? Oh boy! I just can't wait! :nope::beat:

turtlex
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
O - the Academy decided on a 10 film Best Picture field this year. :rolleyes:

First time since, like, 1943, I think.

Personally, don't get me started on how rediculous it is.

Melike
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Especially The White Ribbon ... I am dying to see that film. I've heard so many great things about it from both fans and critics alike.

Haneke is a classic. I also want to see ''The Secret in Their Eyes'' from Argentina. :excited:

Odetta
02-04-2010, 07:39 AM
O - the Academy decided on a 10 film Best Picture field this year. :rolleyes:

First time since, like, 1943, I think.

Personally, don't get me started on how rediculous it is.

It is really stupid, if ya ask me

turtlex
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
:couple:

Still Servant
02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Of course many of the films that have been nominated and even won weren't Best Picture material, imo.

Poor choices that won in the last 20 years:
Slumdog Millionare
Crash
The Departed
Million Dollar Baby
Titanic (Cameron must have sold someone's soul for that, cause he had the nation snowed with this one)
Shakespeare in Love
The English Patient
Forrest Gump (that should have gone to Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption you bastards.)

Sam, sorry to hear about your wife. I hope everything works out.

I was just wondering what films you thought should have won over some of these. Mainly Slumdog, Departed and Million Dollar Baby.

I hope you didn't want The Aviator to win over Baby. I really didn't think that was that good. I thought Letters From Iwo Jima could have beaten out The Departed, but I really loved The Departed. I know it seems like it's the victim of a lot of hate, but I don't really get it.

Also, Slumdog is a masterpiece. I honestly can't imagine any of the other films nominated beating it out.

You are right about Shakespeare in Love, one of the biggest blunders in Oscar history. Saving Private Ryan was clearly the better film.

My take on this years nominations:

I'm shocked by the Blind Side getting nominated. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm sure it's good, but I just don't think it's Oscar material.

I was happy to see District 9 get a nom. I think The Hurt Locker is going to win best picture.

Also, you heard it hear first-Tarrantino will win best director. My theory is as follows: Cameron and Bigelow will split the vote and QT will sneak in at the last second.

Sam
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM

I was just wondering what films you thought should have won over some of these. Mainly Slumdog, Departed and Million Dollar Baby.

I hope you didn't want The Aviator to win over Baby. I really didn't think that was that good. I thought Letters From Iwo Jima could have beaten out The Departed, but I really loved The Departed. I know it seems like it's the victim of a lot of hate, but I don't really get it.

Also, Slumdog is a masterpiece. I honestly can't imagine any of the other films nominated beating it out.

You are right about Shakespeare in Love, one of the biggest blunders in Oscar history. Saving Private Ryan was clearly the better film.

I'm shocked by the Blind Side getting nominated. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm sure it's good, but I just don't think it's Oscar material.

I was happy to see District 9 get a nom. I think The Hurt Locker is going to win best picture.

Also, you heard it hear first-Tarrantino will win best director. My theory is as follows: Cameron and Bigelow will split the vote and QT will sneak in at the last second.

Here was my original list of wrong winners along with which film I felt SHOULD have won Best Picture.
Won: Should have won
Slumdog Millionare: Frost/Nixon
Crash: Good Night, and Good Luck (this was a weak nominee year in that I really didn't love any of the nominees. I did not see Munich.)
The Departed: Letters From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby: Ray
Titanic: L.A Confidential or The Full Monty
Shakespeare in Love: Life is Beautiful (Saving Private Ryan was good, but I thought this film was so much better and more important than SPR)
The English Patient: ANY of the other films (Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets and Lies, and Shine. I prefer Shine, but all four were better films. The Birdcage was better than The English Patient... The Cable Guy was better than The English Patient)
Forrest Gump: Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption

I also thought The Green Mile deserved to win the awards for 1999, but I acknowledge that American Beauty actually WAS a good film.

Regarding this year's nominations, The Blind Side was a good film, but not Best Picture material. Bullock deserves the win for her role in the movie though. I am happy to see District 9 get the nod, but I truly wish there were only five nominees because I would like to believe District 9 would have made the short list, but now the world will never know .

fernandito
02-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I thought Slumdog Millionaire was a decent movie, but nowhere near a masterpiece, nor deserving of the Oscar. And I'm still pissed that The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated for a Best Picture nod, which it most definitely deserved, just because it's a "comic book movie".

turtlex
02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Ray?
Sam, you felt Ray was a better movie than Million Dollar Baby?
I am actually super surprised. I found Ray to be an over-indulgent, lengthy movie. And I didn't think it was much more than mimicry on Jamie Foxx's part.

Sam
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Yep, Ray was a better movie to me than Million Dollar Baby.
I thought Foxx's performance was spot on for Ray Charles, but more than that was the twitchy way he moved his body while the character was on heroin. That added layers to his performance. It's difficult to play the role of such a contemporary and iconic person though. If you get it right like Foxx did people may call it nothing but mimicry, but if you get it wrong, you're performance will be panned as absolute shit. That's a tough place to be in.

I'm not saying Million Dollar Baby was a bad film. I'm just saying I liked Ray better.

Still Servant
02-06-2010, 07:18 AM

Here was my original list of wrong winners along with which film I felt SHOULD have won Best Picture.
Won: Should have won
Slumdog Millionare: Frost/Nixon
Crash: Good Night, and Good Luck (this was a weak nominee year in that I really didn't love any of the nominees. I did not see Munich.)
The Departed: Letters From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby: Ray
Titanic: L.A Confidential or The Full Monty
Shakespeare in Love: Life is Beautiful (Saving Private Ryan was good, but I thought this film was so much better and more important than SPR)
The English Patient: ANY of the other films (Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Secrets and Lies, and Shine. I prefer Shine, but all four were better films. The Birdcage was better than The English Patient... The Cable Guy was better than The English Patient)
Forrest Gump: Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption

I also thought The Green Mile deserved to win the awards for 1999, but I acknowledge that American Beauty actually WAS a good film.

Regarding this year's nominations, The Blind Side was a good film, but not Best Picture material. Bullock deserves the win for her role in the movie though. I am happy to see District 9 get the nod, but I truly wish there were only five nominees because I would like to believe District 9 would have made the short list, but now the world will never know .

I can understand all your choices here except for Life is Beautiful over Saving Private Ryan. I think 10 years latter SPR is the more memorable film. Life is Beautiful was good for the time being, but I just don't think it has the lasting power of something like SPR. I just don't think I'd watch it again.

I'm not saying that should be the basis for an Oscar winner or anything. At least you didn't think Shakespeare in Love should have won.

Seymour_Glass
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Here's my take:

Slumdog should have been edgerd out by Milk. The Departed was damn fine, but I could exchange it for Little Miss Sunshine. Million Dollar Baby coulda been given to The Aviator or Ray. I totally agree about Crash. Chicago should've went to Gangs of new York, but that was a pretty weak year. None of the nominees in 1999 were right, except for American Beauty, which won. I mean, that year had Magnolia, Three kings, being John Malkovich and Fight Club, none of which saw a BP nom. Titanic and Forrest Gump were mistakes.

Heather19
02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I agree about the 1999 nominations. American Beauty deserved the win, and The Green Mile also deserved the nomination, but those other nominees? Definitely should have had Being John Malkovich and Fight Club in there.

And Forest Gump beating out both Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption :panic: That's just not right.

Sam
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I just got back from seeing Avatar, and I have to say that while the visuals were really great, the story lacked originality. I saw that movie when it was titled Dances With Wolves, and it was a better movie then. Special effects don't make a great film, and while this one was really enjoyable, at times I found myself watching with the realization that I was watching a movie and thinking that the editing room should have been used a little more often. It is overly long, and while the spectacle of the whole film will lead many to watch it over and over, in the end this film simply failed to capture me in the manner that the truly great films have. I'm not saying that Avatar doesn't deserve to be on the Best Picture nominee list, the visuals alone give it that right. What I am saying is that the Best Picture catagory is for the entire movie, spectacle, editing, direction, and the story, and Avatar simply doesn't deliver well enough in that last department to have earned the win. Do I think it will win? Yes, but it doesn't deserve it.

For a similar but far better and more original story of corporate corruption and one man's struggle against that corruption, watch District 9. For a movie about the struggle of one man who goes native against the forces he was once a part of, rent or buy Dances With Wolves. If you want to watch a special effects bonanza with blue creatures, an alien planet, and sights that can only be seen in our dreams and imaginations watch Avatar.

Good film, GREAT special effects, meh story.

Melike
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I just got back from seeing Avatar, and I have to say that while the visuals were really great, the story lacked originality.
:couple:

For a similar but far better and more original story of corporate corruption and one man's struggle against that corruption, watch District 9.
:couple: :couple: :couple:
I don't need to say anything else.

Still Servant
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
As we get closer to the Oscars, I will be posting a thread where we can all give our picks for who we think is going to win EVERY award.

Whomever gets the most right wins. I have nothing to give you but respect. :lol:

It should be fun.

Brice
02-12-2010, 06:24 AM
He's lying folks. <_< He has homemade enchiladas.

Still Servant
02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
No...they're store bought.:(

Brice
02-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Oh, that sucks! :(

*grabs one.*

turtlex
02-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Hurt Locker won Best Film and Best Director at the BAFTA awards ( UK's Oscar equiv ).

Melike
02-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Hurt Locker won Best Film and Best Director at the BAFTA awards ( UK's Oscar equiv ).

I must confess that I am happy it made it through other nominations like Avatar and Up in the Air.

And Christoph Waltz won Best Supporting Actor. :rock:

turtlex
02-22-2010, 06:13 AM

I must confess that I am happy it made it through other nominations like Avatar and Up in the Air.

You and me, both, my friend. :couple:

I hope this is a preview of Oscar night here in the US.

fernandito
02-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Last year, Slumdog Millionaire and Danny Boyle won the the BAFTA awards for Best Movie and Best Director, respectively.

A sign of things to come, mayhap ? ...

Melike
02-22-2010, 06:29 AM
I hope so...

Seymour_Glass
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I finally saw the hurt Locker, and now i have to say I will be almost as happy if it wins as i would be for Up in the Air. Better not be no Avatar.

Hannah
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I didn't think Avatar was that bad, but I don't see it as a serious contender for the Oscar. It was good, but that didn't take away from it's cheesy factor which it had in abundance.

I have the Hurt Locker at home on Blu Ray - maybe I can convince Aaron to watch it with me (although first I will have to pry the Wii controller out of his hand).

Heather19
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM

You and me, both, my friend. :couple:

I hope this is a preview of Oscar night here in the US.

Make that 3 :grouphug:
Although I still have yet to see The Hurt Locker :panic:

fernandito
02-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Ebert's 2010 Oscar Predictions:
BY ROGER EBERT / February 19, 2010

I can't remember a year when it seemed easier to predict the Oscars. Those words may come back to haunt me, but there you have it. Of the top eight categories, seven look like sure things. The only dicey one is best picture, and although “Avatar” may roll in on its record-breaking profits, I think it's a win for “The Hurt Locker.”

How did this happen? In a year when the best picture category had been doubled to 10 nominees? And when every year there are categories everyone seems to guess wrong?

(1) The expanded category dilutes the vote, and probably works in favor of the front-runners, which are “Up in the Air,” “The Hurt Locker” and “Avatar.” (2) The year-end awards have mostly been in unusual agreement with the critics' groups, creating a bandwagon effect.

One possible game-changer: This year, the academy is introducing a weighted ballot in the best picture category. Voters will be asked to arrange the 10 films in order of preference. In previous years, you voted for one film and it got one vote. This year, every film will take away something from every ballot. What will this mean in practice? Search me.

Some gurus claim it will work to the advantage of films running close to, but not at the head of, the pack. I'm not a statistician of odds. Those guys work in Vegas. Real money depends on their odds. This year, it could get complicated. My instinct is that the picture Vegas ends up betting on should have a very good chance of winning.

If you want to win the office pool, you're going to have to do it with categories further down in the list, and even some of those look like shoo-ins. In my Outguess Ebert contest, with its smaller number of categories, it may come down to the tie-breakers: Which film will win the most oscars, and how many will it win?

Here we go:

Picture

“Up in the Air” was the front-runner much of the autumn. It's a movie from and of these times, about unemployment. George Clooney stars as a man whose job is firing other people. There really are such “termination facilitators,” and director Jason Reitman used many real people who had just been fired in real life.

Kathryn Bigelow's “The Hurt Locker,” with Jeremy Renner as a bomb-disposal expert in Iraq, opened in July to great praise but was considered a dark horse because of its low budget, lower profile and earlier release date. Then it started sweeping up year-end awards and many more people saw it. I think it's the current favorite.

James Cameron's “Avatar” you know all about. The top-grossing movie in history, and also a very good film and a sensational experience. But will academy voters cast their ballots on that basis?

The crucial factors may be “The Hurt Locker's” recent victories in two guild awards: It has been honored for best direction and best production. In many years, the Directors Guild winner is a predictor of the best picture Oscar. Of these three, I'm predicting “The Hurt Locker.” If one of the other seven wins, let's say I'll be very surprised.

Actor

Jeff Bridges for “Crazy Heart.” The movie opened late in December and moved out more widely in January. But the distributor, Fox Searchlight, made a wise move: They screened it extensively in advance for movie critics and sent out lots of screeners. Bridges' great performance swept the critics' awards, won a Golden Globe, a SAG award and now looks like the winner. Jeremy Renner or George Clooney could win, but Bridges has the momentum.

Actress

Few people saw this one coming, especially in a year where her two earlier pictures bombed, but Sandra Bullock's comeback in “The Blind Side” was dazzling, and she also collected a lot of year-end awards. Meryl Streep was thought to be the front-runner for “Julie & Julia,” but Oscar likes a comeback role, and Streep has never needed one.

Supporting actor

Christoph Waltz, a relative unknown, won the best actor award at Cannes in May 2009 for “Inglourious Basterds” and has never looked back. I don't know of anyone who doesn't expect him to win this category. A sure thing.

Supporting actress

Here again, what looks like a sure thing: Mo'Nique, for her powerful performance as the mother in “Precious.” Known primarily as a TV personally and comic, she came, in a way, out of nowhere to create a character who was a damaged, cruel woman. The other four nominees were all very, very good, but Mo'Nique will win.

Director

If you vote against Kathryn Bigelow of “The Hurt Locker,” you'll be going against years of precedent that say the winner of the Directors Guild Award will win the Oscar.

Original screenplay

Quentin Tarantino for “Inglourious Basterds.” Who else would have the audacity to rewrite World War II? Tarantino remains a uniquely individual filmmaker, admired as a craftsman and visionary. There's a possibility of an upset in this category if Mark Boal benefits from an Oscar sweep for “The Hurt Locker,” but my money is on QT.

Adapted screenplay

Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner for “Up in the Air.” I think it's the best of the five nominees, but more important, perhaps, this category gives academy members a chance to vote for what many of them consider the second best film of the year, and some consider the best.

Animated film

“Up,” everyone seems to agree. After it premiered at Cannes, it was for a time considered as a possibility for best picture. Critics would prefer “Coraline.” The possible dark horse here is “The Secret of Kells,” a film that has still to open widely in America. All of the academy members will have had the chance to see it via screeners or on DVD, however, and I'm told it is very good.

Documentary

A race between “The Cove,” about the Japanese slaughter of dolphins, and “Food, Inc.,” a harrowing film about the American food industry, dominated by corporations that place profits ahead of nutrition and farmers. But, along with most others, I haven't seen the other three nominees. On the basis of what I know, I think the winner will be “The Cove.”

Foreign language film

I've seen three of the five. The voters are required to see all five. That's how the unseen “Departures” from Japan surprised everyone by winning this category last year. It turned out the voters may have been right, and “Departures” was one of the year's best films. This year, I believe “The White Ribbon,” an oblique parable by Michael Haneke set in Germany in the years before World War I, is just about certain to win.

Cinematography

Mauro Fiore seems likely to win for the technical mastery and emotional impact of his work in “Avatar,” which raised the bar for 3-D technology. Robert Richardson's work in “Inglourious Basterds” is the best classical cinematography in this category, I think, but Hollywood, infatuated with 3-D, will think otherwise.

OK. Regarding the categories above, I have (or think) I have reasons for my predictions. In the categories below, I think of myself more in the category of your average office-pool entrant. When the results are in, I suspect I'll do better with the picks above than those below. One year I scored something like 95 percent, but I have no idea how I did it.

Art direction

“Avatar,” don't you think?

Costume design

In “Coco Before Chanel,” the costumes were instrumental, and Catherine Leterrier's work might have drawn even Chanel's grudging approval.

Film editing

Here, I'm going for “The Hurt Locker,” because so much of the film's appeal depended on the precise timing and arrangement of shots. Well, that's true of all films, but in this one it became unusually important.

Sound editing

“Inglourious Basterds.”

Makeup

“Star Trek,” I suppose.

Original score

I'm gonna say “Up.” I'm probably gonna be wrong.

Original song

I'm going with “The Weary Kind” (from “Crazy Heart”), with music and lyrics by Ryan Bingham and
T Bone Burnett.

Visual effects

“Avatar,” don't you think?

fernandito
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Less than a week left ! :excited:

Heather19
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Less than a week left ! :excited:

:excited:
Now head on over to the other thread and make your picks! I've been waiting for you.

fernandito
03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I was going to come in here and say how I found the lack of post-Oscar talk disturbing ...

http://messengerpuppet.blogharbor.com/_photos/047.jpg

... but then I realized, there isn't much to discuss. All of the favorites won out : Christopher Waltz took home the hardware for his brilliant, ruthless portrayal of Hans Landa. Katheryn Bigelow and The Hurt Locker were awarded for being the best director and best picture of last year, respectively. I haven't seen The Blind Side or Crazy Heart, but both Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock have been amassing nothing but praise from both critics and fans alike. The only surprise/upset that I can see is Avatar winning for best cinematography , something I'm sure has upset one or two of you ... :cyclops:

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it. I felt that Martin and Baldwin had great chemistry together, and they were entertaining for the time that they were in front of the camera.

Here's to hoping that next years awards are a bit tighter in all facets of competition so that it makes for a more suspensful show.

Seymour_Glass
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I was surprised that bullock won, i'm not gonna lie. i though that girl from precious had it for sure.

fernandito
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Didn't Monique from Precious win Best Supporting Actress ? Or are you talking about someone else entirely ...

turtlex
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Feev - I'm pretty sure he means Gabourey Sidibe. The young woman who actually played Precious. She was up against Bullock, et al.

fernandito
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Eek ! Sorry. I haven't seen the movie, and I had stepped out during the Best Actress segment.

However, there wasn't much noise in regards to Sidibe winning the award, all signs pointed to Bullock taking home the gold.

Heather19
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I agree. This year the awards were pretty predicable. All the front runners in the main categories all walked away with their awards.

I did love Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin hosting together. I thought they did a great job.

Still Servant
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I saw Precious the other night. I thought it was a really good movie. There are some pretty powerful performances. Sidibe and Mo'nique were amazing.

If I had seen Precious before the film started getting any attention and I watched Mo'nique's first scene, I would have known from that point on that she was going to win an Oscar. It's that powerful.

I also think it's interesting to note that my mom thought Sidibe should have won the Oscar over Bullock. That's saying something since my Mom loves Sandra Bullock and raved about her performance in The Blind Side.

She loved that film so much, she would not stop nagging me (and is still nagging me) to see it. I really think everybody should check Precious out.

fernandito
03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm watching Precious sometime this week, I've been wanting to watch it for a while now.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 03:01 AM
I really thought this was the most predictable Oscar Awards, ever. Sincerely.

And from what I've heard - Yeah, everyone knew Bullock would win, but every person I've talked to who saw the movie - they said it was kind of a "meh" movie, and she was better than the rest of the movie.

I stand by my original thought that she didn't deserve it. She's done much better work ( see Crash ) and really, I think this time it was a lot about how nice, and self-effacing, and kind and adorable she is, and not so much about how she gave a better performance than Meryl Streep and Helen Mirran!!!