PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King visits DMG!

Nerak
09-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Well, I had one hell of a day last Wednesday.

Stephen King popped into the office for the first time, ever!

He was only here for about 10 minutes, but what a thrill!!

When he got here, Robert introduced us, he shook my hand, asked how I was, came inside.
I bought him a birthday card that had (what looked like) a Gunslinger on the cover and played music when opened! When he opened it he said that he knew it was going to play that tune! And he hugged me!! OK, OMG!! I am still so excited over it.

When have y'all met "the man"?

jhanic
09-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Karen, I'm jealous! Congratulations!

John

Randall Flagg
09-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Congratulations.

Ari_Racing
09-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

What an awesome surprise!!!

frik
09-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Wow, Karen, that's a wonderful story.
Memories to treasure!

sk

mia/susannah
09-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Karen, that is great!!!!! I envy you

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Awesome!

Rahfa
09-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Wow...he must have been visiting Joe, maybe...what a thrill! Was it a complete surprise, or had he called ahead to let Robert know he was coming?

Nerak
09-21-2009, 06:25 AM
They were visiting Joe. And we knew he was coming. I wasn't allowed to tell anyone til today! LOL Robert didn't want me to.

But what a hell of a secret to keep for five long days when all I wanted to do was scream about it! LOL

flaggwalkstheline
09-21-2009, 06:29 AM
That is SOOOO cool!

Rahfa
09-21-2009, 06:48 AM
They were visiting Joe. And we knew he was coming. I wasn't allowed to tell anyone til today! LOL Robert didn't want me to.

But what a hell of a secret to keep for five long days when all I wanted to do was scream about it! LOL

Haha...he must be out of the area by now, so the info can be leaked!

That's way cooler than any 'chance' meeting could ever be, because he's on YOUR time, as opposed to on his (obviously his time, but you know what I mean).

Speaking of not leaking any info - any chance there was a BUSINESS aspect to his visit?????

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 06:58 AM

I figured you had some sort of gag order - no other way would you have kept that secret for 5 days.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Congrats Karen. Relief at last. :)

Nerak
09-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Yeah, gag order was issued! LOL

And nope, not business. Well, not our business and I can't say anymore.

CRinVA
09-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Karen,

You're becoming as big a tease as Bev Vincent!

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 07:38 AM
:rock:

Matt
09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I would love to hug SK, totally manly of course. :borg:

I hope he maybe signed our Grand Prize for Ari, that would be sweet as hell. I mean, since he was in the area.

Nerak
09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Matt, DMG is not in the area of his office. It's three hours south of it, as a matter of fact! :lol:

And the reason for his visit had nothing to do with DMG. So, I don't have any of THOSE kinds of secrets to keep! I wish I did though :orely:

Matt
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Well it is a hell of a lot closer than Florida! :lol:

Nerak
09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Um, yeah, I guess so! :lol:

Pasiuk57
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Karen
what a deal!!
Pretty amazing...

Patrick
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, good for you, Karen. What an exciting ten minutes. I'm happy for you... and like the others, a bit jealous. But mostly I am happy for you!

shnnrc01
09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
wow karen,what a thrill! your little ol' heart must've been hammering away huh?

idlewarnings
09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Great story, Karen. That's awesome.

Daghain
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
That is awesome, Karen! And I am totally jealous!

lophophoras
09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Very cool Karen!

LOL..I bet that was a tough secret to keep!

You've got a lot of folks on here jealous of you!

;)

Nerak
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
yeah, when Robert told me last Monday that he was coming and I couldn't tell anyone (well, Hubby knew), I was like..aaarrgghhh.

Then the bight before I couldn't sleep and when I did I dreamed about the meeting coming up. Then the whole morning at work I was staring at the clock waiting for him. Then then he was there...OMG!! LOL So tall and fragile looking. Saying nice to meet cha. How ya doin? la faint.. lol.

Then, to be told I can't talk about it until 5 days later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was about to bust!!! I told my sister n she could have cared less! lol Some people!!! lol

Ricky
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Karen, sounds like an amazing ten minutes. I can't imagine keeping that secret--there'd be too many people I'd want to tell.

Were you able to get a picture with him?

lophophoras
09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I honestly don't know how I would act if that ever happened to me.

LOL...

I would try to be cool and not look too excited for fear he might think I was a freak or something. LOL...

But I have a feeling it would be difficult to not be a little nervous around him.

:excited:

willie3
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Very Cool Miss Karen !!

I am sure you acted in a professional and courteous manner.:cool:

Unlike some of us who drool and babble when we meet famous people...:drool:

Nerak
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I thought I would drool and babble, but I didn't. I think if you tried to take my pulse it would have been sky high.

And no, no picture and no signed anything, he was in a hurry :( Next year, mayhap :)

Rahfa
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Haha...I've met lots of famous people...you always think it will be harder than it is...but when you actually have them standing in front of you, they suddenly seem much more human and more accessible.

turtlex
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Karen, that's so wonderful. Congrats.

NeedfulKings
09-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Awesome. I'm so happy that YOU got to experience that. You deserve it. :)

:huglove:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-28-2009, 11:44 PM
And no, no picture and no signed anything, he was in a hurry :( Next year, mayhap :)

Next year... when DMG publish the next installment of The Dark Tower.

Ka is a Wheel - November 2009

“And then I thought, ‘Well, why don’t I find three more like this and do a book that would be almost like modern fairy tales?’ Then this thing started to add on bits and pieces so I guess it will be a novel.” That idea, according to King, is for a new Dark Tower novel, a continuation of his epic seven-part fantasy/sci-fi/Western series about a lone gunslinger named Roland and his ongoing hunt for the Man in Black. “It’s not really done yet,” King admits of his magnum opus. “Those seven books are really sections of one long uber-novel.”

:rock: :excited:

e_taylor
09-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Hmmm.... as much as I'd love to read a new Dark Tower novel.... I just don't know...

lophophoras
09-29-2009, 04:42 AM

Next year... when DMG publish the next installment of The Dark Tower.

Ka is a Wheel - November 2009

“And then I thought, ‘Well, why don’t I find three more like this and do a book that would be almost like modern fairy tales?’ Then this thing started to add on bits and pieces so I guess it will be a novel.” That idea, according to King, is for a new Dark Tower novel, a continuation of his epic seven-part fantasy/sci-fi/Western series about a lone gunslinger named Roland and his ongoing hunt for the Man in Black. “It’s not really done yet,” King admits of his magnum opus. “Those seven books are really sections of one long uber-novel.”

:rock: :excited:

LOL...I was wondering about this coincidence myself...

:orely:

wizardsrainbow
09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Karen-

You asked if anyone else has met him, but so far, I think no one has replied.

I first met him on Feb 2, 2002 (2/2/02) at the Wavedancer Benefit (The Haven Foundation) that he created to help artists like Frank Muller. He read (not for the first time) "The Revenge of Ladass Hogan" from Different Seasons. I had made a "higher level" donation that allowed me to stand in line and get 2 books signed. The only choices were Dreamcatcher and Black House. As he was signing my books, I asked him about the next Dark Tower book (rumored title at that time was The Crawling Shadow). He told me that the title was going to be Wolves of the Calla (perhaps known to others at the time but not to me), I was so excited to get a "new" piece of information. I said "Thankee Wordslinger," he smiled at me and the I was done.

I met him again at the Three Kings event in Washington DC as I was getting my UK proofs of Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah signed. I told him that Michael Whelan sent his regards. He looked up and said something about Michael being very talented. I agreed and then my time was up.

Matt
09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I met him that night too, I'll never forget it.

Cutter
09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I've never met him, and I do find it odd considering how long I've read, collected, watched all the screen adaptations, etc... for just about ever it seems. One of these days I'll make a road trip to one of his signings.

And congrats Karen, that is awesome! I'm jealous. lol

Rahfa
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Haha...yeah, I 'met' him at the Harvard signing, where my interaction with him consisted of:

"Hey, you can put my name in that book if you want."
"I can't, sorry."
"No problem."

At the Pleasatnville, NY screening of Cujo, he happened to be sitting on the direct opposite aisle from me...there's a point where Dee Wallace is about to get out of the car to make a run for the house, because all is apparently quiet...

In the dead silence of the movie theater, SK chimes in, "I wouldn't go out there if I were you."

Daghain
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
:lol:

Patrick
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
:rofl:

Sam
09-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Karen-

I met him again at the Three Kings event in Washington DC as I was getting my UK proofs of Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah signed. I told him that Michael Whelan sent his regards. He looked up and said something about Michael being very talented. I agreed and then my time was up.

Don't forget about the signing in Massachusettes wiz. You got to meet him again there. I was able to meet him at that event also and was to the reception beforehand. It was a night I'll remember until I get Alzheimer's (why can't I ever remember how to spell that word).

Dolan
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I've met King 3 times. The first time was in 2002 for the Buick 8 signing.

Then for DT 7 signing in CT. And then another time he was introduced to me by a friend at a private members club 2 years ago...

But I have met a slew of celebs at my old job... I'm talking people from Bill & Hillary to Nicole Kidman and Madonna to Britney and Obama...

The first time I met Stephen King I was this >-< close to crying. I was just so overwhelmed... it was crazy. That's never happened before...

sarah
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
<--- is totally jealous!!

yay for karen and crew. :dance:

I've only once met The Man at a reading/signing for Bag of Bones in Seattle. **sigh***

Dolan
09-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I've also seen him read 3 times...so I guess my total is 6.

I realize I am very lucky

CRinVA
09-30-2009, 09:57 AM
First time I saw King was at a Rock Bottom Remainders concert at the Bayou in Georgetown (Washignton DC) sometime in the late 90's. That was back when Warren Zevon (RIP) toured with the group!

Scond time I saw King was at a Rock Bottom Remainders concert at Nation in Washington DC, although this time I had a VIP ticket and got to attend an hour long reception before the performance - totally awesome and I did manage to get my picture taken with Sai King.

Third time I met King was three days later at the booksigning in Betts Bookstore in Bangor - at the old Betts location - that is where I met Super Colelctor Charlie Fried and our very own Carlos Detweiler (Bob).

Fourth and final time I met Sai King was at The Three Kings event in Washington, DC where I got to meet wizardsrainbow (Dave), Matt, Oy (David) and Bev Vincent!

Fifth time was going to be the booksigning in Baltimore, but that aint happening. the logistics of having to be at Wal*Mart at 7am to get wristbands for a 6pm signing turned me off - that and the aweful drive to get there and home from 25 miles south of Washington DC! :-(

Nerak
09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Cool stories!!! Keep em comin!!!

Calla_Wolf
10-01-2009, 02:46 AM
I've met him twice at UK signings. The first time (Bag of Bones) was by far the better encounter.

Been queueing all day and I was 50th in line (there were about 2500 there when he finally arrived but he could only see about 500 because of his Albert Hall appearance that evening). There were signs everywhere saying "No Photos" but when I got to him I threw my camera to the store manager who was controlling the crowd. After 20 seconds of him saying no photos no photos, Steve piped up and said "Oh take the damn photo" So, I got my piccie (and yes, I look like an idiot).
My only regret is that i didn't get him to sign it "To Ceri" coz I don't think I'll ever find one on Ebay.

I will say, tho - the BEST part of the day was queueing with other fans. We talked and talked about the books and the stories and the Tower.

The Lisey's Story encounter was best forgotten I think. Those true fans who went to Battersea will, I'm sure, agree.

biomieg
10-01-2009, 02:53 AM
The Lisey's Story encounter was best forgotten I think. Those true fans who went to Battersea will, I'm sure, agree.

Just out of plain curiosity: what happened, Ceri? If you'd rather keep it private, dont feel obliged to answer ;)

Calla_Wolf
10-01-2009, 03:18 AM

Just out of plain curiosity: what happened, Ceri? If you'd rather keep it private, dont feel obliged to answer ;)

Everything was fine until the interviewer said, "I have one more question." At that point, a third of the audience got up and started to push and shuffle into some sort of unruly queue (yes, SK was still speaking). That was embarrassing enough but when the interview ended, pushing became a stampede.

As far as I am concerned, every single person who got up before the end is an ignorant, rude, repulsive scumbag.

Every person who jumped the queue and pushed and elbowed his or her way forward is also a scumbag.

I took my time, I didn't push, I didn't curse, shout nor behave in any way other than politely. And I got my autograph. Sadly, however, it doesn't MEAN much to me because of the unpleasant and embarrassing behaviour of others.

biomieg
10-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks for sharing, Ceri. I believe I would have felt the same if I'd attended this particular signing.

Sam
10-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Ceri, I think you should forget the jakasses who were there and try to remember fondly that you got to met Sai King. You behaved like a human being, not like cattle and have no reason to feel shame for your behavior. We can't control anyone but ourselves, and you did. Feel good for that, forget the idiots that were there, and try to remember your time fondly.

Bev Vincent
10-01-2009, 05:42 AM
The first time I met him was in 1987 or 1988 when he was in Houston touring in support of The Ideal Genuine Man. This was shortly after The Tommyknockers came out. He appeared at the River Oaks Bookstore with Don Robertson. The store had an upper level that looked down over the main area and that's where they put the two authors, so you could see him for a long time as the line snaked through the store and out onto the street. He was only signing the Robertson book at that event.

tippy4
10-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that story Bev. I have seen several of the King/Robertson signed IGM (and own one)...and always wondered how/where they were signed.

Cloysterpete
10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I well remember the Battersea stampede, I got up at the point when I couldn't hear King talking anymore due to the noise everyone was making running over to the right.

My seat was over on the right anyway though I still ended up with a million people ahead of me, I was with my older Brother, I got mine signed, he was the first person to be cut-off :doh: Still it wasn't a very personal signing, they just had King working like a machine, he didn't even look up!.

The signing at Borders book-store was far better, I was #03, could have been #01 but I was too self-conscious to join the queue before there was a queue so I waited until someone else came lol. But it was cool up front, any two books signed by King, you handed them to him in person, shook his hand, had time to ask a question (if you thought quickly lol) and no silly people trying to stop you from taking photos. Well organised, chilled out Borders staff and chilled out King :).

Bev Vincent
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for that story Bev. I have seen several of the King/Robertson signed IGM (and own one)...and always wondered how/where they were signed.

Here's a photo I took at that signing. That's Don Robertson on the far right:

http://www.bevvincent.com/images/king-robertson.jpg

tippy4
10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Kind of looks like Orson Wells

Bev Vincent
10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Indeed!

Rahfa
10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
The mustache, the girl's hairdo and her shoulder pads certainly confirm 1987...