PDA

View Full Version : Three Years Ago Today.... *end of series spoilers*

sarah
09-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Three years ago today I was in Washington babysitting my nieces. I took them to school and went straight to Target. I bought The Dark Tower 7 and Green Day's American Idiot. I put the cd in the car and drove back to my sister-in-laws and started reading. It took me a few days to read it as I was watching my nieces and couldn't ingore them when they came home from school. I didn't really have good internet access and was freaking out wanting to talk to someone. I had so many emotions at the time and now, three years later, I've come to terms with Roland and his katet.

How did you get your book?

How long did it take you to read it?

What was your first emotion after reading?

Now, three years later, what do you have to say about it?

Daghain
09-21-2007, 08:26 AM

I got it when it came out in paperback. I'm cheap like that. :D

Probably about a week.

Speechless. I thought it was a perfect ending, but it was kind of sad at the same time to know it was all over.

Hands down my all-time favorite story. Especially considering it took 20 years to tell it, and I was there from the beginning. :D

She-Oy
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM

We had to have this book. We couldn't wait. I remember I called one of the local bookstores (mom & pop type place) and asked if they had in already. I think it was a Sunday, the Sunday before the Tuesday release date. I told the man that my husband's birthday was Monday (which was a lie, Will's bday is in Jan) and he wanted this book more than anything and that I would look great if I could get him the book before it was released.
The man at the store told me he understood and he was a fan too, so he actually sold me the book two days early!
I felt like I had really accomplished something! LOL

I think it was a week. I remember sitting on my front porch drunk crying about Jake and Oy, so that had to have been the next weekend.

Exhaustion

Three years later and those characters are still as close to my heart as they were from the beginning. I can't believe it's been three years.

Matt
09-21-2007, 08:39 AM
How did you get your book? I went straight to walmart and picked it up. I couldn't believe the cover and Roland standing there, in front of the tower...it was amazing. I jabbered at anyone who would listen in line and told them to read the series if they had not.

How long did it take you to read it? I was done over the first weekend I had it.

What was your first emotion after reading? I felt drained when I got done, emotionally and physically. My first reaction to it was not positive but I believe that had more to do with the end itself as opposed to how it ended. Meaning it was over and I was pissed, nothing would have been good enough

Now, three years later, what do you have to say about it? I believe it is a great work of literature. The characters have burned a place in my hard and everyone of us treats them like actual human beings in our remembrances of them. That is the measure of a great writer imo.

And...I started this website in homage to the man and this body of work so that people would have a place to appreciate it as much as I do.

Jean
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM

dear friends who have already answered this question in this thread,

please repost your answer in that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=788) that pre-dates the current one and should probably be kept as a separate thread, not merged here. I also suggest removing this question from the starter post (or modifying it to avoid redundancy); it's a great thread even without it, thank you maerlyn!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thankyou14.gif

Mike Beck
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Waited in line with some of my good friends. Sat in the cold with strangers, met some awesome people. the energy in that line, waiting for this final book, was outstanding. And it paid off.

http://thedarktower.net/forums/uploads/post-23-1095725185.jpg

Hmm. I got very excited and began reading like a little crack-fed reading monkey, but I forced myself to slow it down. I didn't want the journey to end yet, so i took my time on the last few chapters. i think it took me about a week to finish.

A mixture of sadness and peace. I left the very last part of the book for a special place to read. i went to a place called the Cascades near my town. sat outside by a creek. smoked cigarettes. smoked a joint. and finished the book as the sun was setting on Lake Mohegan. it was a pretty special moment for me. i'll never forget it.

Now that i've had time to digest and see the story as a whole. The best thing i've read. I believe, throughout the last 15 years that the story has formed a bit of how i think and perceive. I was of the crew that didn't like the ending at first. And slowly, as i let go of my silly ideas and expectations, I came to realize what a beautiful ending it really was. of course there are things i can nitpick, but that's my own selfishness intruding. It's King's story, and I couldn't be happier or more thankful that he created it (and finished it!).

:D

Darkthoughts
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
How did you get your book? I had mine on order from my local bookstore, the day it came out I picked it up, went home and started reading :D

How long did it take you to read it? 2 days...I really tried to take my time because it was the last book and I didn't want to end the quest, but it was futile...I stayed up until the early hours to finish it on the second day.

What was your first emotion after reading? Fulfilled yet sad, also confused...there were things that hadn't turned out as I expected and I wanted to think about them for a while.

Now, three years later, what do you have to say about it? That its a series that anyone who loves books must read. Its an amazing, shocking, sad and satisfying end to one of the best adventures I ever had.

She-Oy
09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Mike Beck wins. Not that this is a competition, but um, damn, that's one sure fine way to purchase DT7!

Frunobulax
09-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Through Amazon.com.

About three days I think.

Sadness, closure, and general happiness.

I'm still happy and looking forward to a re-read in the next few months of this good last volume. It's a worthwhile tome.

DTrose19
09-21-2007, 05:46 PM
My parents wouldn't let me go to the books store to get it so the next weekend when I went to the flee market with my papaw someone had it already for sale for 5 bucks. But I never knew someone could be that hard on a book in 5 days, I later bought a copy in good condition for collector purposes.

It took me a week or two because after the first day I refused to take it to school. it was grass stained and got tea spilt on it because of stupid imature guys. But they got beat up for it :)

I just sat thereand cryed.those books had helped me through so much and I couldn't bare that it was over and there would never be another part of the journey to share with Roland and his Ka-tet. I loved the way he ended it though. truly amazing.

The books are still as close to my heart as when I picked them up for the first time. THe charecters inside those pages are as much my friends as anyone in the so called real world. I can't believe it has already been three years. . . I think I have to carry a copy of DT with me to graduation this year because it's honestly what got me through the first part of high school. I've said it before and I say it again, those books truley changed my life.

She-Oy
09-21-2007, 06:59 PM
That's pretty cool DTRose19! Enjoyed your story!

Mattrick
09-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Ah, The Dark Tower 7. That was quite a journey. I'll first explain my Dark Tower Timeline.

1997 (eleven yrs.) Read The Gunslinger
May 2003 - Read Drawing of the Three
July 2003 - Read The Wastelands
November 2003 - Read Wizard and Glass
Christmas 2003 - Read Wolves of the Calla
Spring 2004 - Read Song of Susannah

Now, this was the hitch. When Book seven came out my dad was freshly retired and my mom (separated) didn't make much so I couldn't read the book. After the new year I was itching to read it again. In February 2005 I began reading the revised Gunslinger for the first time. Then, but late spring I was done them all again. Going through everything twice before reading book seven. In August I got a good job and bought the book almost immediately.

Walked in and bought it at Chapters.

Saturday around 6 pm until Monday around 6 am. I also worked 10 hours in there and had a nights sleep. Not sure how I sped through that book so fast.

Considering how fast I went through it the entire book played out like a movie for me. Almost one, constant rush. At the end I was flabbergasted to describe it justly. It blew my mind. I re-read the coda several times before going to bed at sunrise and again when I woke up.

25 months for me. Since then I've read the whole series again so it's great. I'm going to let it sit for years and years. I'll read it again when I'm thirty. about eight years. It'll be great that way. I read it three times in 4 years, along with about 30 bother books.

It's by far my favourite story and a journey I'll take over and over again until the day I die. I'm sure most of you can agree that the story truly sticks. Nineteen always stands out to me, words, names. I almost wished I lived in New York for constant reminisence. The Dark Tower truly is what inspired me to want to write, to want to create worlds and people. Worlds not much unlike our own beneath the surface. The way many of us feel about this must be equivalent to what Lord of the Rings did for people in the thirty and forty years ago. It's just such an incredible journey.

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM

I took the day off from work and went and bought it at a nearby Stop and Shop (local big grocery store chain) and sat looking at it in the parking lot amazed that I was finally after all these years holding the end of the series in my hands, it was a very emotional moment just holding the book for me.

I went to the local Barnes and Noble and spent the whole day and into the night reading a copy of the store's. Then I read it most of the day after the following days work and part of the day after that. So it took me a little over two days altogether.

Very hard for me to describe. A mixture of tremendous sadness, wonder and loss.

Still my favorite of the series and probably always will be. I sometimes can't believe the series is over, because for awhile I didn't think it would be. They are still my favorite books and I can't get enough re-reading the series and chatting about it and recommending it to everyone. Proud to be a Dark Tower junkie, always will be.

Post Script: I hate you Mike Beck. Fucker.

Mike Beck
09-24-2007, 06:07 AM
it's great reading everyone's dt7 stories. :)

hey Crimson? eat your black heart out. :D

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 06:30 AM
hey Crimson? eat your black heart out. :D

Please click on My Location link and look at the Image for how I feel. Sharing is caring.

Storyslinger
09-24-2007, 07:15 AM
The books are still as close to my heart as when I picked them up for the first time. THe charecters inside those pages are as much my friends as anyone in the so called real world. I can't believe it has already been three years. . . I think I have to carry a copy of DT with me to graduation this year because it's honestly what got me through the first part of high school. I've said it before and I say it again, those books truley changed my life.

I totally agree with you, they help most people through hard times

MonteGss
09-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I bought it at Target the day it came out. Wait, it came out on a Tuesday? I read it on a weekend so I must have bought it Friday night.

I was finished by Sunday.

I was still very sad from all the death. I was really mad at Susannah for throwing the gun away (lame!*). I knew the ending was coming but I kept trying to convince myself while reading that it wasn't going to be so sad. It was.

Great fucking book. :thumbsup:
A real tear-jerker, a hellava novel. Great ending to a great series. :)

* Yes, yes....it "wasn't a gun" anymore but it was Roland's revolver....it does not belong in the trash.

Mike Beck
09-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Crimson, you bastard. that's a pretty awesome picture, though.

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Crimson, that pictures awesome

Mattrick
09-26-2007, 11:24 AM
It's a road map......what is so awesome about it?

Darkthoughts
09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
You hover your mouse over the pin then click the image tab.

ZoNeSeeK
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

I read the gunslinger in 1994 and didn't like it enough to get the sequel. After a stephen king reading frenzy around 2002-2003 or so, my gf asked (who is a King / DT fan also) if I had read the series. Explained that I had started but didnt continue. So she grabbed the first 4 books in paperback in a 4-book pack on sale, and I reread the first and went from there. I got to book 7 just as it was released over here (grabbed it from a bookstore next to the trainstation on the way home from work, I think). It tingled when i touched it.

About a 5-7 days, I think? Mainly on public transport and a bit at home.

I felt extremely strange and adrenaline was pumping for the last part of DT7, I actually put it down because there was a phonecall but picked it up again and told diem I would call them back. Its the only book that I have literally been glued to for the final chapters without much control over it. The ending was perfect. I felt euphoric, blown away, a little disappointed that the journey was over but felt quite at peace with it.

I've been passionate about series before, but never like this. Dark Tower is another Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Dune. Its one of those universes(multiverses) so well crafted by its creator that it lives and breathes on its own. 3 years later, its still the prominant feature in terms of what I've read thats affected me. And its great having something in common with King himself - we're all DT Junkies :)

MonteGss
09-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Cool Zone, I enjoyed reading that. We are all DT junkies! :)

Mike Beck
09-27-2007, 05:13 AM
that is cool Zone.

and you just named all the series that have taken over my life at some point and still stay with me. I love the Dune books.

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Thats awesome Zone

Valkyrie
09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Note End of Series Spoilers below!!

I started reading the series when my husband picked up a copy of The Gunslinger at a book store downtown several months ago. He thought he was getting a Western. :lol: Knowing I enjoy fantasy/sci fi, he recommended that I read it. I wasn't all that interested at first, but to appease him, I picked The Gunslinger up one day while he was somewhere in the middle of The Drawing of the Three. I can't say I was hooked after book 1, but I was completely hooked soon into book 2. I sped past him and finished the series about 3 months ago. I ordered all of them from Amazon.com, and I can't tell you how relieved I was that I didn't have to wait years inbetween books. The endings of these books had to be brutal without the next book sitting on the shelf waiting. So I was lucky in that regard.

The 7th book took me about a week to read. It wasn't as fast to read as the two preceeding books, but I was SO ready to be done at that point. I devoted every minute I could spare to it.

Shock. I was in shock for a full hour. Then I felt almost sick to my stomach thinking about Roland going back and doing this all over again. Then I started thinking about it and analyzing it. I was irritated with my husband because he was 2 books behind and I wanted to TALK to him about this stuff! So I got online and found this and another forum for an outlet. And can you believe my dork husband is right at the part where Eddie had died and Roland and Jake head back to save SK, and he has stalled there for two weeks!? I'm trying not to nag but if he doesn't finish soon I'm going to go nuts! How can I get this man to finish so I can talk to him about the ending?! :pullhair:

Well it hasn't been three years for me, but after a few months I have grown satisfied with the ending. Of course I am also one who believes that Roland is only going to have to do this one more time. So that helps.

Wuducynn
09-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I can't tell you how relieved I was that I didn't have to wait years inbetween books. The endings of these books had to be brutal without the next book sitting on the shelf waiting. So I was lucky in that regard.

I can't tell you how envious I am of you... I've waited between the books since Drawing of the Three came out in the stores. :pullhair:

MonteGss
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I started up right as Wastelands was released in trade. The wait for the last four sucked big time.

Darkthoughts
09-28-2007, 05:59 AM
I joined with WaG - the wait for WotC was bad enough for me.

Matt
09-28-2007, 06:14 AM
I was on like Matthew, horrific six year wait between DoTT and Waste Lands. :pullhair:

Storyslinger
09-28-2007, 06:17 AM
I had the wait between Waste Lands and WaG

Daghain
09-28-2007, 07:15 AM
I was in almost from day one. That was painful, man. :lol:

Storyslinger
09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Ouch, that does hurt

ZoNeSeeK
10-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Im the same Valkyrie, i didnt have to wait between each book either as I intially started the 2nd in the last few years, a little spoilt i think :P