PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Locations

Grillslinger
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey gang....

I'm still looking to make my Stephen King tour for Google Earth as expansive and interesting as possible.

I would love to hear ideas for locations I should include. This can be either a place from King's own life, a place from one of his novels, or a location where any of his movies have been shot.

So far I have: The locations of the real Standpipe, Barrens, Bandstand, Paul Bunyan Statue, UMaine, Bassey Park, The Canal, Bangor IntNat'l Airport, WZON, The Stanley, The Timberline, Thornewood Castle, Crouch End, and the location from the opening of Cell.

I hope to hear some ideas!

Thanks,
A.

Daghain
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
The real Stanley Hotel, which The Shining is based on, is in Estes Park, Colorado.

King spent time in Boulder, CO as well.

Matt
09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Tons of Colorado stuff. :rock:

Don't forget Eisenhower Tunnel

<shudders>

also--I have several pics in the "king landmarks" section of the Gallery

Daghain
09-20-2007, 01:25 PM
:lol: Matt will NEVER forget the Eisenhower Tunnel.

And Grillslinger, your av cracks me up every time I see it. :lol:

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Tons of Colorado stuff. :rock:

Don't forget Eisenhower Tunnel

<shudders>

also--I have several pics in the "king landmarks" section of the Gallery

Knew he'd say it :rofl:

Grillslinger
09-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Okay...I've added The entrance to the tunnel...The Stanley is in there...The Derry Standpipe (actually located in Bangor) is great because someone has made a 3-D model of it that shows up on Google Earth.

I also added Shrevport (where the filming of The Mist took place), Shiloh Chapel (one of King's inspirations for the Marsden House), the lighthouse from the Needful Things movie, Fenway park, and the train tressle from Stand by Me.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep the ideas coming!

Storyslinger
09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Great stuff Grillslinger

Matt
09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
So are we going to get a link to this thing?

Grillslinger
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Here you go! I will update the file at the same link as I get more ideas. In the meantime, keep them coming!
http://thegrillslinger.com/images/misc/StephenKingTour.kmz
Enjoy!

Matt
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
My computer at work does not recognize that link. :lol:

Grillslinger
09-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I just tested it and it works...perhaps it is a firewall issue. I'll try to email it to you.

Matt
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm sure it is, it said I didn't have the program I needed to download it or something.

I will have a look at home, can't wait to see it.

Oy!
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
You will have to take some creative liberty with this one, but what if you mapped out some of the routes from "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"(Skeleton Crew). That was an awesome short story, and if anything, that is what Google Earth really is for!

Along the same lines, where do you think Rock n Roll Heaven("You Know They've Got a Hell of a Band" is, and would you be able to map that?!?

Jon
12-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I reckon "Rock and Roll Heaven" would be in Cleveland. The R&R Hall of Fame.

For an obscure location, from "The Stand," Daleville, Indiana.

Grillslinger
12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestons, everyone! I'll put those into the next version!